or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Cincinnati, OH - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cincinnati, OH - HDTV - Page 451

post #13501 of 14333
splicer, where can i but some cheap uhf bowtie antennas. i've found them to receive the best reception in urban areas.
post #13502 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balloonfanatic View Post

splicer, where can i but some cheap uhf bowtie antennas. i've found them to receive the best reception in urban areas.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...LAID=107590969
post #13503 of 14333
FYI,
We use to give the little clip on bow tie antenna out to viewers, during the OJ Simson trial, that we carried in full, we had a line at the station to get there "special" antenna. And gave away hundreds of the along with the "loop" antennas.
PS: if anyone need a clip on bow tie or a loop we still have some at the station, for free!
That is what Shane, one of our operations guys, used the make his home made antenna.

Elliott
post #13504 of 14333
Very generous Elliot.
post #13505 of 14333
Reds Opening Day game will be televised on Ch 12
post #13506 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylab View Post

The NFL is in 31 media markets. There are over 200 some markets in the country. To say that the NFL gurantees the local team will always be on is a bit of a strecth. Try being a Bengals/Browns fan in Columbus, Dayton, Toledo, Akron/Canton, Youngstown, Lima and Zanesville, for example. Many fans aren't going to be able to watch whatever they consider to be the local team OTA every game.

Akron/Canton is firmly in the Cleveland market, and gets the Browns games OTA every week - away games on WOIO/19 (CBS). home games (sold out) on either 19 or WJW/8 (Fox) if the away team is NFC, and OTA stations like WJW and WUAB/43 pick up the local rights to cable games.

The other cities you mention are indeed separate markets. Youngstown generally gets the Browns or Steelers, depending.
post #13507 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylab View Post

But the Akron/Canton market does not get the Monday/Thursday night games on NFLN/ESPN (same as the Dayton market). Or maybe this has not been an issue for the Browns.

Once again, there is no separate Akron/Canton market. The Cleveland TV market extends from Ashtabula to Sandusky to Mansfield, and includes all of Northeast Ohio save for Youngstown/Warren.

We get the NFLN/ESPN games on whichever local affiliate picks up the OTA rights (if the Browns are involved). We don't get NFLN itself on TWC, in any part of NE Ohio, Cleveland, Akron or Canton.

Adelphia/Cleveland used to carry NFLN, but that went away when TWC took over the system.

I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but I live in the area in question.
post #13508 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post

Once again, there is no separate Akron/Canton market. The Cleveland TV market extends from Ashtabula to Sandusky to Mansfield, and includes all of Northeast Ohio save for Youngstown/Warren.

We get the NFLN/ESPN games on whichever local affiliate picks up the OTA rights (if the Browns are involved). We don't get NFLN itself on TWC, in any part of NE Ohio, Cleveland, Akron or Canton.

Adelphia/Cleveland used to carry NFLN, but that went away when TWC took over the system.

I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but I live in the area in question.

I stand corrected. For some reason I thought Akron/Canton had its own network affiliates. Thanks.
post #13509 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylab View Post

I stand corrected. For some reason I thought Akron/Canton had its own network affiliates. Thanks.

It's funny, because the "what if Akron/Canton became its own market" is often a question on these boards.

The area's CW and ION affiliates (WBNX/55 and WVPX/23) are licensed to Akron, and there's a secondary PBS affiliate here (WEAO/49).

Add two religious outlets (WDLI/17 TBN, WRLM/47 TCT) and some LPTVers, and there's enough outlets to cover all major and minor network affiliates for this mythical Akron/Canton market. And of course, WVPX was historically Akron's WAKR/WAKC/23/49, the long-time secondary ABC affiliate in the market.

The biggest reason this never happened?

Akron, in particular, gets strong city grade coverage from all the major full-power Cleveland stations...all of which camp out south of Cleveland in the "Parma antenna farm" (Parma, Broadview Heights, Seven Hills, etc., just 20 air miles from the Akron area).

If there was a signficant antenna installation downtown, or elsewhere in the northern end of the area, this would be a different story.
post #13510 of 14333
WKRC cutting in at 657pm yesterday at the end of the Masters coverage Saturday really annoyed me. Lousy timing and it made me wonder if they were really that desperate for the dollars. It also cut right into the start of the closing interviews and remarks.

And yes, I'm old enough to remember sitting there and witnessing the "Heidi Bowl".
post #13511 of 14333
Maybe the event's promoters need to understand the meaning of the term "schedule"
post #13512 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post

Maybe the event's promoters need to understand the meaning of the term "schedule"

I heard the network's promotions for the Master's telecast saying that there would only be 4 minutes of commercials per hour. That made it appear to me that they (WKRC) saw a chance for some quick cash by inserting 2.5 to 3 minutes or horrible looking local ads.

End result was they returned and we missed the first half of an interview with Tiger. It all appeared very amateur to me.
post #13513 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubster View Post

End result was they returned and we missed the first half of an interview with Tiger. It all appeared very amateur to me.

WKRC looks amateurish to me anyway because they still don't broadcast true DD audio. They're not alone though as far as cutting in at inappropriate times. Makes you wonder if anyone is actually watching what goes out over the air. Or maybe they're using fired air traffic controllers
post #13514 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post

WKRC looks amateurish to me anyway because they still don't broadcast true DD audio. They're not alone though as far as cutting in at inappropriate times. Makes you wonder if anyone is actually watching what goes out over the air. Or maybe they're using fired air traffic controllers

They also run banners on the news show which blocks the lower part of any news clip they run. Quite annoying when it is an action shot like a tornado or police chase.
post #13515 of 14333
Not sure how long it will last, but check out the WKRC "TowerCam" feed currently. It's been showing the inside of a server room. I've seen it showing servers, a fire extinguisher with "do not enter" yellow tape hanging from it, bins of cables, and a trash can/refrigerator. It has been giving different views of the room for a while now. Saw a guy walking around in there too.

http://www.local12.com/content/weath...m/default.aspx
post #13516 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp2244 View Post
Not sure how long it will last, but check out the WKRC "TowerCam" feed currently.
As of 8:14 PM, it's back to showing the view from the tower. Did they just upgrade it to HD? The pictures on here are at least widescreen...
post #13517 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoraX695 View Post
As of 8:14 PM, it's back to showing the view from the tower. Did they just upgrade it to HD? The pictures on here are at least widescreen...
The 2 towercams have been HD for a while now.

We had them down to repair lightning damage. The tower is a pretty hostile environment in the spring!
post #13518 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by XmtrMan View Post

The 2 towercams have been HD for a while now.

We had them down to repair lightning damage. The tower is a pretty hostile environment in the spring!

Was that your butt I saw (wearing jeans)?
post #13519 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by XmtrMan View Post

We had them down to repair lightning damage. The tower is a pretty hostile environment in the spring!

Cool.

Isn't the tower always a hostile environment unless it's mild, overcast, and no wind is blowing?
post #13520 of 14333
I was looking around for info on METV and they have WLWT listed as the Cincinnati affilate comming soon. I thought that WXIX would be getting them but not so.

http://www.metvnetwork.com/wherewatc...5202&x=16&y=10
post #13521 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubster View Post

That's pretty clear, but I'm concerned about what will really happen.

Has anyone been able to rescan and find the HD channels in the clear? I've scanned QAM-64,128, and 256 with no luck using an HDHomeRun.
post #13522 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by microbob View Post

I was looking around for info on METV and they have WLWT listed as the Cincinnati affilate comming soon. I thought that WXIX would be getting them but not so.

http://www.metvnetwork.com/wherewatc...5202&x=16&y=10

If that's true we can say goodbye to the best HD picture quality in the market that we had/have been getting from WLWT.
post #13523 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick View Post
Has anyone been able to rescan and find the HD channels in the clear? I've scanned QAM-64,128, and 256 with no luck using an HDHomeRun.
Yes. I jotted them down from the HDHomerun setup utility to manually try to tame my other machine that has a Hauppauge 2250. Unfortunately the Hauppauge constantly remaps channels (incorrectly and dup channels on same QAM channel?)* making it unusable. My HDHomerun seems to be working fine although I had to manually map 2 channels. Anyhow, I made a PDF off of a scan, attached because I am too lazy to type the channels.

[edit] QAM 256 is what you want. Added attachment of how I got these from the setup utility.
[edit2] I should mention my issues are with Win7 Media Center. Search for SiliconDust Forums and you will find a FAQ for your media center or device that is usually very helpful. For instance they have a utility that replaces Win7's retarded channel scan with the real channels the setup utility finds. (hdhomerun_wmc_sync.exe) Read the setup guides first though.

*How can this happen? I manually added WLWTDT, later look in guide and its remapped to 48.2. I am going to take pictures of the fiasco I go through when this crap happens, and I guarantee it's something TWC does to bug the PC tuners.

 

QAM TWC April 21 2011.pdf 11.876953125k . file
LL
post #13524 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp2244 View Post

If that's true we can say goodbye to the best HD picture quality in the market that we had/have been getting from WLWT.

I'm no expert on these things but the addition of MeTV to WLWT may not hurt their image quality at all. I say that because WLWT has been broadcasting a third channel for months (35.3) with no apparent effect on their main channel.
post #13525 of 14333
Maybe WLWT will get rid of their weather channel. I always use WCPO's. Never cared for 5-2.

As for QAM, I'm also getting the KET channels (Ch 54-1,2 &3) coming in on 75. 116-8 is the Ohio Network, but I'm not getting any sound. Also 116-4 is C-Span2. C-Span2 is not available in unscrambled analogue so I saved it. I'm also getting Ch 16 from Dayton in a digital format (not HD) which looks better than the analogue version, it's coming in on 21-3.
post #13526 of 14333
Me-TV Channel looks great! I wonder when it'll come on Ch. 5
post #13527 of 14333
ME_TV is going to start broadcasting on 5-2 starting August 1. (It is going to replace the weather tracker channel on 5-2) This was the response from Lisa in programming dept. at ch.5 who responded to my phone call today. They just signed the the paperwork and are waiting on the equipment for me-tv and are working on selling advertising on the new network. As of now me-tv will not be carried by direct tv or dish network.
post #13528 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balloonfanatic View Post

ME_TV is going to start broadcasting on 5-2 starting August 1. (It is going to replace the weather tracker channel on 5-2) This was the response from Lisa in programming dept. at ch.5 who responded to my phone call today. They just signed the the paperwork and are waiting on the equipment for me-tv and are working on selling advertising on the new network. As of now me-tv will not be carried by direct tv or dish network.

WOOT! WOOT!
post #13529 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim58hsv View Post

I'm no expert on these things but the addition of MeTV to WLWT may not hurt their image quality at all. I say that because WLWT has been broadcasting a third channel for months (35.3) with no apparent effect on their main channel.

What you're referring to is their MobileTV channel, which is a re-broadcast of 5-1 and seems to be doing pretty well. They got a new encoder when they added that, so the reduced bandwidth for 5-1 HD was really not that noticeable. I was just worried about adding another subchannel as eventually it's going to be detrimental to picture quality. However, as mentioned below, it seems my worries are put to rest for now.

Also I think it's pretty interesting that WLWT is able to have 1080i HD on 5-1, WeatherPlus on 5-2, and Mobile TV in the datastream as well, and 5-1 still looks way better than what WKRC does for 1080i on 12-1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balloonfanatic View Post

ME_TV is going to start broadcasting on 5-2 starting August 1. (It is going to replace the weather tracker channel on 5-2) This was the response from Lisa in programming dept. at ch.5 who responded to my phone call today. They just signed the the paperwork and are waiting on the equipment for me-tv and are working on selling advertising on the new network. As of now me-tv will not be carried by direct tv or dish network.

Thanks for getting the scoop. Sounds like great news, and I do think I'll enjoy the channel.
post #13530 of 14333
5-3? Hmmmm. Now it makes sense. One of the promos for the morning news before the TODAY show, I think last week, was about a story about why we would be needing to "learn" to 'rescan' and why. Maybe in preperation of 5-3? I do not get a 5-3 when I rescan currently, but down the road in a couple of months I guess I need to.

Not quite sure what "mobil-TV" is tho.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Cincinnati, OH - HDTV