or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Cincinnati, OH - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cincinnati, OH - HDTV - Page 459

post #13741 of 14333
Indeed...if it weren't for 5.1, WHIO would not be a big deal...tho I use DD PLII with WKRC and get (for the most part) the same results.
post #13742 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp2244 View Post

Agree with all of you!

I wonder if the problem is at the CBS network end.
post #13743 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoraX695 View Post

I wonder if the problem is at the CBS network end.

It's equally bad during WKRC news, so I'm convinced it's their encoder. 8-12 Mbps is not enough bandwidth for a 1080i channel, and that's what they give it. I've been really impressed with the stuff WLWT and WCPO are putting out with limited bandwidth though, so it's apparent that encoding technology has made great improvements. WKRC needs to up the bandwidth (kill CinCW which looks like YouTube and belongs on WSTR anyway), or get an encoder that can provide acceptable results.
post #13744 of 14333
WKRC just needs to upgrade their encoder and add 5.1 audio. I see no reason why they couldn't look as good as WLWT does with a subchannel.
post #13745 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp2244 View Post

Holy crap WKRC looks TERRIBLE during the Bengals game. I had forgotten how bad it was as I watch them so rarely. Macroblock city.

It was so bad I turned on channel 7.1 to watch the game. I didn't have near the audio problems.
post #13746 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp2244 View Post
Holy crap WKRC looks TERRIBLE during the Bengals game. I had forgotten how bad it was as I watch them so rarely. Macroblock city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcathalfk View Post
It was so bad I turned on channel 7.1 to watch the game. I didn't have near the audio problems.
WKRC must think we're watching on our 19" CRT Magnovox. Anyone who buys a decent TV, post 1998, see's how horrible their signal is.
post #13747 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe View Post
WKRC must think we're watching on our 19" CRT Magnovox. Anyone who buys a decent TV, post 1998, see's how horrible their signal is.
I have a 73" 1080p set and WKRC is NOT near as bad as you make it out to be...
post #13748 of 14333
We watched the news on WKRC last night (there was football on WLW) and the PQ was okay.
Of course, there isn't much movement on a newscast. But their lack of true DD still audio irks me.
post #13749 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

I have a 73" 1080p set and WKRC is NOT near as bad as you make it out to be...

Macroblocking here is HORRIBLE during fast motion in sports. Otherwise it's passable. It passes through TWC (clear QAM) by the time I get it though.
post #13750 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubster View Post

Macroblocking here is HORRIBLE during fast motion in sports. Otherwise it's passable. It passes through TWC (clear QAM) by the time I get it though.

That could be it. I receive WKRC via OTA.
post #13751 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

That could be it. I receive WKRC via OTA.

It looks HORRIBLE via OTA as well.
post #13752 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp2244 View Post

It looks HORRIBLE via OTA as well.

Agreed.

In other news, it was announced Universal Sports is going HD 1/1/2012 and it will cease to be available OTA.
post #13753 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp2244 View Post

It looks HORRIBLE via OTA as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylab View Post

Agreed.

In other news, it was announced Universal Sports is going HD 1/1/2012 and it will cease to be available OTA.

Damn...I feel bad for you guys. OTA here is B-E-A-UTIFUL.
post #13754 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylab View Post

Agreed.

In other news, it was announced Universal Sports is going HD 1/1/2012 and it will cease to be available OTA.

There goes another free OTA subchannel. It looks like WBQC will go down from 5 down to 4.
post #13755 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylab View Post

Agreed.

In other news, it was announced Universal Sports is going HD 1/1/2012 and it will cease to be available OTA.

NBC owned Versus is also being re-named to NBC Sports Network. I'm a little surprised that NBC/Comcast is not combining the two channels.

I'll miss Universal Sports a lot, but I was continually frustrated with the terrible picture quality.

Also sorry to let them know that I will not be moving to the broken cable/satellite pay tv model with them.
post #13756 of 14333
WKOI (TBN) Channel 43 - are they off the air? I haven't been able to get them since Friday evening OTA. Note I still receive all the Dayton and Cincinnati stations with both my attic and roof-mount antennas and nothing has really changed. I know they have a CP - just wondering if they are on very reduced power and/or off air. Thanks.
post #13757 of 14333
WKOI holds an STA to operate at reduced power from an aux antenna while they move their digital antenna to the top of the tower (replacing the analog antenna).

I have no inside information, but that could have something to do with it.

- Trip
post #13758 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

WKOI holds an STA to operate at reduced power from an aux antenna while they move their digital antenna to the top of the tower (replacing the analog antenna).

I have no inside information, but that could have something to do with it.

- Trip


You may be right - looks like the CP is to go up another 20' or so and increase power by 100kw. They already cover the Cincinnati/Dayton market very well. This should really improve the signal (not that it was that bad).

On a related note I called Daystar in Texas to inquire about Channel 36. They informed me that tower work would begin before year's end but didn't have a firm date on either DT36 or DT24 (WLWD) in Dayton.

Thanks Trip!
post #13759 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post
We watched the news on WKRC last night (there was football on WLW) and the PQ was okay.
Of course, there isn't much movement on a newscast. But their lack of true DD still audio irks me.
This drives me crazy. Why they haven't fixed this issue is beyond me.

Bill
post #13760 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
WKOI holds an STA to operate at reduced power from an aux antenna while they move their digital antenna to the top of the tower (replacing the analog antenna).

I have no inside information, but that could have something to do with it.

- Trip
Confimed by WKOI channel 43 engineer. The tower crew have been working last week - and will finish later this week - on moving their digital antenna to the top of the tower and then increasing power from 500kw to 600kw.
post #13761 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

WKOI holds an STA to operate at reduced power from an aux antenna while they move their digital antenna to the top of the tower (replacing the analog antenna).

It looks like TV Fool is using this STA in their "pending" view for digital stations.
post #13762 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncincy1 View Post

They informed me that tower work would begin before year's end...

Remember that they're going to be on the WKRC tower running at only 9 kW, but will be much higher than if they were going to stay on WLWT's tower (455.4 meters vs. 498.5 meters above mean sea level, WKRC's antenna is at 305 meters AMSL).
post #13763 of 14333
New subchannel in Dayton 9/26/11?
Looks like "Bounce TV" should be on the air in Dayton this Monday @ 12noon on WBDT 26.2 Cincinnati, TBD.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DMAS 27, 30, 43, 60, 62
LIN TV will carry the proposed broadcast network for African Americans in Indianapolis, Hartford-New Haven, Norfolk, Dayton and Mobile-Pensacola for a projected 50% clearance at launch this fall.
post #13764 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncincy1 View Post

New subchannel in Dayton 9/26/11?
Looks like "Bounce TV" should be on the air in Dayton this Monday @ 12noon on WBDT 26.2 Cincinnati, TBD.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DMAS 27, 30, 43, 60, 62
LIN TV will carry the proposed broadcast network for African Americans in Indianapolis, Hartford-New Haven, Norfolk, Dayton and Mobile-Pensacola for a projected 50% clearance at launch this fall.

That's the channel replacing ThisTV on WXIX 19-2, isn't it? Oh yay.
post #13765 of 14333
ThisTV will have to find another station unless WXIX moves them to 19.3 or puts Bounce there.
post #13766 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp2244 View Post

That's the channel replacing ThisTV on WXIX 19-2, isn't it? Oh yay.

Doesn't mention Cincinnati, just Dayton, so I doubt WXIX is adding any subchannels and THIS is staying put. Now maybe CH45 out of Dayton is dropping THIS but I doubt it, since it is CH26 that is adding it. Currently, CH26 has no subchannels.
post #13767 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by microbob View Post

ThisTV will have to find another station unless WXIX moves them to 19.3 or puts Bounce there.

I don't understand this comment???
post #13768 of 14333
Has anyone heard from WXIX whether they're dropping This, moving it, or putting Bounce on 19-3? I know they're adding Bounce, and the Bounce website says 19-2, but it also says WBTV 3-2 when WBTV is adding it on 3-3, so I don't consider it to be reliable beyond noting which stations will have it on any subchannel.

- Trip
post #13769 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Has anyone heard from WXIX whether they're dropping This, moving it, or putting Bounce on 19-3? I know they're adding Bounce, and the Bounce website says 19-2, but it also says WBTV 3-2 when WBTV is adding it on 3-3, so I don't consider it to be reliable beyond noting which stations will have it on any subchannel.

- Trip

Saw Elliott Block (WKRP) Saturday at the Voice of America/Cincinnati Broadcasting Museum and he said WXIX will add Bounce TV in January 2012 when their contract with ThisTV is completed. According to Kiesewetter's blog, Channel 19 will drop ThisTV on 19.2 and add Bounce TV in January. I hope that's not true and they add Bounce TV on 19.3. I personally enjoy This TV even though I guess I could watch on WRGT 45.2 when they don't show MyNetwork TV (yes, it's still in business - LOL) Stay tuned!
post #13770 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

Doesn't mention Cincinnati, just Dayton, so I doubt WXIX is adding any subchannels and THIS is staying put. Now maybe CH45 out of Dayton is dropping THIS but I doubt it, since it is CH26 that is adding it. Currently, CH26 has no subchannels.

Yes, they will add Bounce TV to WXIX in January 2012. Here's a link to the article about all Raycom stations.

http://www.televisionbroadcast.com/article/120172
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Cincinnati, OH - HDTV