or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Cincinnati, OH - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cincinnati, OH - HDTV - Page 476

post #14251 of 14333
the way my house is setup my living room windows don't face the towers and i have a house on either side of me blocking my view.I think i might be better off getting an outdoor antenna and attaching it to my chimney and facing it towards the downtown area.i'm @10 to 12 miles from downtown cincy.
post #14252 of 14333
I live in the Goshen area and get everything with either an old style CM4228 or my 91XG, mounted about 12 foot above the roof. I've got an old CM7777 amp and a cable run of 40 feet. I get Dayton of the back side of the antenna without any issues.
Anything you can mount outdoors is always better. I tried putting an indoor antenna on the tv years ago and got nothing at all. I'm guessing I'm 30-35 miles from either Dayton or Cincy.
Best choices are..mount the antenna outside and get it above the roof a decent amount as well. I'm surrounded by trees to my north and south as well but it doesn't cause any real issues.
I dream of getting Columbus on a semi-regular basis as I'm 77 miles or so away...only if the tropo condition are right do I get anything from Columbus. If I move another 20 miles out I'd have it made lol.
HD signals are touchy at best in a lot of areas...Cincinnati's hills don't help none of us either
post #14253 of 14333
It looks like you can get away with just one antenna pointing northeast. You may have to tweak its direction though to to maximize the number of stations, especially the ones from Dayton.

Edited to add: you don't need a preamp since you're too close to the Cincinnati stations. A basic outdoor antenna would be something like this, or something larger version in the same antenna family. Remember your antenna needs to pick up hi-VHF for WKRC.
Edited by ThoraX695 - 8/31/13 at 1:39pm
post #14254 of 14333
post #14255 of 14333
would this antenna work??
post #14256 of 14333
That or the Antennas Direct DB8. Personally I would go with the DB8, since it will take up less space if placed in the attic, but also will work great in picking up all channels. There is also the ClearStream 4, that would work for your area. They will pick up VHF-hi 7-13 & all UHF. Some have split the ClearStream and DB8 into two units, to form a V, to allow better directional pick up, when you have channels coming from two points as you are, from 1 & 3 o'clock.
post #14257 of 14333
i don't have an attic so it has to go outside on a mast attached to my chimney
post #14258 of 14333
i like the way the db8x is to where you can point 1 antenna oneway and the other at another direction
post #14259 of 14333
my main goal is to try and get the most channels i can get,i still dont know what kind of rotor to get or even know if i would need one.
post #14260 of 14333
You would not need a Rotor, since the majority of the stations you get are coming from 81-88º, so no really having to move the antenna. Now of course it will also pick up off the backside with no problem. I get the local PBS which is at 235º on the Compass off the backside of my DB8. The front is pointed around 78º at Center for the NBC & CW towers in my area, but will pick up the towers around 90-96º, that are the towers for ABC, CBS, Fox, but use the YF-5713 to get a better reception for the CBS, since I would get very low Signal how the DB8 was pointed for the range that I wanted.

I just had to tweak a little bit using the CW tower and the PBS to try and fine tune in the strongest for those two, which in turn got me the strongest for the NBC, due to the CW, NBC towers are the farthest from me for my area, but the PBS is a lower power repeater. It is a trial and error to get your antenna the best. I of course also cheated and used the Winegard SensarPro signal meter, modified in a box, and just for Antenna Input only, and a power supply, so that I could use it up in the attic while fine tuning both antennas.

When you get the antennas on the mast with the Rotor, you want the Rotor at North, and the Antennas also at North, so that when you adjust the rotor the antennas will point in the correct direction.
post #14261 of 14333
great thanks for the info,think im going to go with the db8x so i can point each antennas in different directions
post #14262 of 14333
One more piece of advice with the HDB8X: be prepared to spend a significant amount of time adjusting your antenna since you can adjust each half independently and phasing will come into play. In other words, you may think you have one half set up fine, but when you adjust the second half, the first one gets out of whack. Experimenting is part of the fun of OTA.biggrin.gif
post #14263 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoraX695 View Post

One more piece of advice with the HDB8X: be prepared to spend a significant amount of time adjusting your antenna since you can adjust each half independently and phasing will come into play. In other words, you may think you have one half set up fine, but when you adjust the second half, the first one gets out of whack. Experimenting is part of the fun of OTA.biggrin.gif
If it was not for the fun of learning, where would be the pleasure of self masocism, when it comes with dealing with antenna tuning.

Personally I would take tuning a OTA antenna, over a satellite or other type of antenna.
post #14264 of 14333
One thing working in our favor (those of us actively working on our OTA setups) is that we have close to optimal conditions for the next few days - pleasant weather, no rain, and all of the leaves are still on the trees.
post #14265 of 14333
hey guys has anyone tried out the Mohu Leaf Ultimate all of my tv stations are real close to me and i was thinking that maybe a huge antenna on my roof was not really the best answer for me
post #14266 of 14333
Hey Guys,

I am a OTA guy for several years now. I have all the major channels in our area including 64.1. The last couple of weeks though 64.1 has had some difficulty coming in now and then. Seems like it gets worse later in the day. Any thoughts as to what my problem is? I've had no issues with 64.1 until now.

Thanks much guys.

Richard.
post #14267 of 14333
Hi, so I'm looking for an indoor antenna as I live in an apartment attaching an antenna to the roof isn't an option for me. I have tried a cheapy old school rabbit ears HD antenna and had no luck. I also tried a MOHU Leaf Ultimate and had no luck there either. Seriously, I get no reception whatsoever. I live right across the river from the Great American Ballpark in Covington, KY, so I'm very close to downtown Cincinnati. I ran a tvfool report that told me I should be getting several channels, but I get nothing. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d46ae12ff7fe4d5 I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or just getting the wrong antennas. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by boobert View Post

hey guys has anyone tried out the Mohu Leaf Ultimate all of my tv stations are real close to me and i was thinking that maybe a huge antenna on my roof was not really the best answer for me
I have one and didn't have any luck. YMMV. I've heard they work great once you get them positioned properly.
post #14268 of 14333
rmousir

I combine 2 antennas together (one towards dayton the other towards cincy) and i used to have problems with signal breakups (especially 9, 48, 22 and 2 at night) . I finally installed a inline (fm trap) and my problems went away. somehow I guess the fm frequencies were confusing the tuner . They are pretty cheap (around $5) - its worth a try. Most Radio Shacks carry them in the store. here's their online link.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10939219
Edited by Balloonfanatic - 9/24/13 at 8:09pm
post #14269 of 14333
FIX ME

I bought a Antennas Direct 2v from my neighbor who was moving for $20 and put in on the floor behind my entertainment center in Sharonville and was receiving all of the cincy stations and most of the dayton stations from this antenna (keep in mind that I have plaster walls and the metal behind the plaster really inhibits digital tv signals) . I know these are outdoor antennas but these are the only antennas that seem to work indoors that I have tried - just put them on the floor behind the tv or in a closet.. Most of the antennas I bought from the national retailers performed so bad I returned them. Here's a Best Buy link but (Antennas Direct) also matches online prices and includes free shipping if you want to deal with them directly.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ClearStream+2V+Long-Range+HDTV+Antenna/6847298.p;jsessionid=7948F3A88105568E12FD957B88016FB4.bbolsp-app02-129?id=1218809260470&skuId=6847298&st=antennas%20direct%202v&cp=1&lp=1

Another suggestion http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=u4000&d=antennacraft-by-radioshack-u-4000-uhf/hd-4-bay-bowtie-tv-antenna-%28u4000%29
Edited by Balloonfanatic - 9/24/13 at 8:45pm
post #14270 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix Me View Post

I live right across the river from the Great American Ballpark in Covington, KY, so I'm very close to downtown Cincinnati.

You're in a special case where you're very, very close to the transmitters. I'm very surprised that you're not getting anything. Since you're so close, it's important to not use any amplification at all. A basic pair of rabbit ears and loop for UHF should do the trick.

And I agree with Balloonfanatic that an FM trap may help. Although FM signals should only potentially interfere with WKRC since it's on Hi-VHF.

I wonder if some strange multipath is in play too.
post #14271 of 14333
There are substantial differences between a Clearstream 2V and a U4000. They really are not interchangeable for most situations.
post #14272 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balloonfanatic View Post

FIX ME

I bought a Antennas Direct 2v from my neighbor who was moving for $20 and put in on the floor behind my entertainment center in Sharonville and was receiving all of the cincy stations and most of the dayton stations from this antenna (keep in mind that I have plaster walls and the metal behind the plaster really inhibits digital tv signals) . I know these are outdoor antennas but these are the only antennas that seem to work indoors that I have tried - just put them on the floor behind the tv or in a closet.. Most of the antennas I bought from the national retailers performed so bad I returned them. Here's a Best Buy link but (Antennas Direct) also matches online prices and includes free shipping if you want to deal with them directly.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ClearStream+2V+Long-Range+HDTV+Antenna/6847298.p;jsessionid=7948F3A88105568E12FD957B88016FB4.bbolsp-app02-129?id=1218809260470&skuId=6847298&st=antennas%20direct%202v&cp=1&lp=1

Another suggestion http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=u4000&d=antennacraft-by-radioshack-u-4000-uhf/hd-4-bay-bowtie-tv-antenna-%28u4000%29
Thanks, I was considering the 2V and you convinced me to buy one. However, there is no change in reception. I don't understand this at all, I used to get at least some stations with my rabbit ears when I moved to my apartment in March 2011. At some point in the last year or so, when I tried my rabbit ears, I wasn't able to get anything. A thought just occurred to me. I recently (March/April) swapped out my old Onkyo receiver for a Denon one, could it somehow be causing interference? Maybe I have an FM amplifier turned on or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoraX695 View Post

You're in a special case where you're very, very close to the transmitters. I'm very surprised that you're not getting anything. Since you're so close, it's important to not use any amplification at all. A basic pair of rabbit ears and loop for UHF should do the trick.

And I agree with Balloonfanatic that an FM trap may help. Although FM signals should only potentially interfere with WKRC since it's on Hi-VHF.

I wonder if some strange multipath is in play too.
As they're only $5, I may try one. I've got nothing to lose at this point.
post #14273 of 14333
Fix Me,

Tough for me to believe you can't pull ANY stations at your location. How high up is your apartment? Does it have a window facing the river and if so did you try putting your Leaf on it?

Have you asked your neighbors if they get OTA reception? Does your audio receiver get any AM or FM reception?

I am going to assume that you have run your digital tuner's channel scan multiple times. If it finds nothing I would manually add the following channels:

WLWT - channel 35
WCPO - channel 22
WKRC - channel 12
WXIX - channel 29
WCET - channel 34
KET - channel 24

Use your tuner's signal meter, if it has one, to look at signal strength and quality for each channel. It should report some level of signal. Even if something is blocking signals from the Walnut Hills towers there are also signals from Clifton Heights and KET is actually behind you. Unless your building is impervious to all radio frequencies you should be able to tune in something.
Edited by gerhard911 - 10/1/13 at 6:50am
post #14274 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard911 View Post

Fix Me,

Tough for me to believe you can't pull ANY stations at your location. How high up is your apartment? Does it have a window facing the river and if so did you try putting your Leaf on it?

Have you asked your neighbors if they get OTA reception? Does your audio receiver get any AM or FM reception?

I am going to assume that you have run your digital tuner's channel scan multiple times. If it finds nothing I would manually add the following channels:

WLWT - channel 35
WCPO - channel 22
WKRC - channel 12
WXIX - channel 29
WCET - channel 34
KET - channel 24

Use your tuner's signal meter, if it has one, to look at signal strength and quality for each channel. It should report some level of signal. Even if something is blocking signals from the Walnut Hills towers there are also signals from Clifton Heights and KET is actually behind you. Unless your building is impervious to all radio frequencies you should be able to tune in something.
Seriously, I run the auto scanner and it finds 0 channels to program. When I manually go to the channels (I usually try 29 since I think it's closest or at least one of the closest) and check the strength, it's at 0. As I said, I used to get "some" reception. I know I used to get 29. I'll do some more thorough checking when I get home. I'm pretty sure I checked that once before as I couldn't believe I wasn't getting any reception either.

I also have a tuner card in my PC and I get the same results with it, so I know it's not some weird thing with my TV tuner.

My apartment is on the first floor and does have windows that face the river. I did try putting my Leaf in the window.

I haven't checked with my neighbors, they all have cable/satellite. Still, it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I didn't think to check for AM/FM reception since I don't listen to the radio these days. I'll check that out too.
Edited by Fix Me - 10/1/13 at 8:25am
post #14275 of 14333
Make sure your tuner is set to ATSC mode for broadcast signals (as opposed to QAM mode for cable TV). If so, and with what you have described I have to suspect your digital tuner is broken.
post #14276 of 14333
I wondered the same thing, which is why I tried the tuner card I already had in my PC. I got the same results, so I don't think it's a tuner problem. I'll double check the ATSC setting though.
post #14277 of 14333
Alright, so I tried the tuner in my PC again and I get reception with the antenna I bought. I'm not sure what I did differently (maybe I didn't have the Leaf positioned correctly the last time I tried). So, I'm near positive the digital tuner in my Samsung is shot. I still get no channel reception with the TV's tuner. As the PC is connected to my Samsung, this solution works fine for me, so I'll just watch TV that way. smile.gif
post #14278 of 14333
Glad you found a way to get reception!
post #14279 of 14333
Thread Starter 
Just a quick note, noticed WCPO recently added Mobile DTV stream .... at least presumably, as I'm just looking at their TS with TS reader, not anything that can actually decode the M/H streams ....

Also, for those looking for when(if?) LICENSED Class A station WOTH-CD 20 ever comes on air, note co channel WLWD-LD 20 Dayton(Daystar) has just flash cut to digital ...

This co-channel situation may be a little more of an issue for some vs when WLWD was analog, because the old (analog) site was well NE of Dayton, Near Springfield, but the digital transmitter is at Dayton antenna farm ..... for example, I'm nearly (but not quite) getting a lock on WLWD-LD with my XG91 aimed towards Cincinnati, aiming to towards dayton gives me a quite decent signal from WLWD-LD (now only 13 miles from me, vs 39 miles when they were analog) even though their directional antenna pattern should only be squirting about 18 Watts ERP in my direction ....
Edited by Nitewatchman - 10/16/13 at 6:24pm
post #14280 of 14333
A few years ago Elliot Block was wanting to sell his station. Also wasn't there a CP for CH 19? How long do they have until they are forced to move off of CH 47?
Edited by microbob - 10/16/13 at 8:35pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Cincinnati, OH - HDTV