or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Cincinnati, OH - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cincinnati, OH - HDTV - Page 478

post #14311 of 14333
Not to resurrect an old topic, but why is WKRC the only VHF channel in town? I've been aerial-only for over a decade, but still, having to make special plans just for one station drives me crazy. Sorry, it's a grumpy Friday for me.
post #14312 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by psm0110 View Post

Not to resurrect an old topic, but why is WKRC the only VHF channel in town? I've been aerial-only for over a decade, but still, having to make special plans just for one station drives me crazy. Sorry, it's a grumpy Friday for me.

Ha! You think YOU are grumpy..... wink.gif

There's at least one major VHF station in most cities. I did a back-of-the envelope list a while back and came up with around 90% of the top 100 markets fall into this category.
post #14313 of 14333
Yeah it is a little crazy having only that one channel on VHF. With all this snow we've been having I dropped below the threshold for my TV's tuner and I'm getting long dropouts on 12.rolleyes.gif
post #14314 of 14333
I heard that the fcc was going take away more of the tv spectrum in june 2015 (eliminating current uhf broadcast channels 37-52) is that correct. If that is correct ch 25 would be gone and most of the dayton stations will have to move channels again. I feel sorry for the engineers who have to do this all over again.
post #14315 of 14333
Thread Starter 
Incentive auction has been delayed until 2015. If enough stations don't participate in that, (sell off/relinquish their spectrum), the whole deal might not even happen .... although, I think you can probably count on a likely future reduction of the broadcast TV spectrum ...

I don't think The rules are set in stone yet regarding the repacking process,(what "channels" exactly will be removed from broadcast TV use/how stations will be repacked into what's left), although I think the FCC has said an R&O on it should be coming soon ....

In any case, the repacking - and what might end up happening along with it - and there are a lot of possibilities -- won't happen in 2015 .... It would likely be several (or more) years after that ... Only the incentive auction part of it is "supposed" to happen in 2015 ...

More info can be found in following thread :

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1216722/avs-official-topic-the-fcc-broadcast-spectrum
post #14316 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balloonfanatic View Post

I heard that the fcc was going take away more of the tv spectrum in june 2015 (eliminating current uhf broadcast channels 37-52) is that correct. If that is correct ch 25 would be gone and most of the dayton stations will have to move channels again. I feel sorry for the engineers who have to do this all over again.

If this scenario plays out then look for stations in the upper end of the UHF band to move to the lower UHF band or even into the lower VHF band. I don't think very many stations will simply go dark if they have to relinquish their frequency. That was not the case when Channels 52 to 69 vanished.
post #14317 of 14333
I think the plan is to use MPEG4 which is in the new ATSC2.0 standard they are working on and is supposed to be backwards compatible with existing equipment and Television sets. ATSC 3.0 is not and would require new digital tuners . Sinclair, owners of WKRC and WSTR has its own transmission method they are developing as well. I'm not sure how this will play out either.


Here is more info on ATSC 2.0

http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/tv-tomorrow-atsc--advances/221069
Edited by microbob - 3/9/14 at 2:19pm
post #14318 of 14333
I think the compatibility of ATSC 2.0 with existing sets is only assumed to be for Smart TV's, correct? And even then -- only those that could take a firmware update for decoding of OTA signals?
post #14319 of 14333
I would think TV's made in the last year or two could be upgraded via firmware regardless if it is smart capable or not.
post #14320 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by microbob View Post

I would think TV's made in the last year or two could be upgraded via firmware regardless if it is smart capable or not.
Youre right. At the least nearly all new tvs have a USB port that can be used to update them.
post #14321 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Youre right. At the least nearly all new tvs have a USB port that can be used to update them.
Simply because it has the port doesn't mean it can update. My USB ports are for playing video files.
post #14322 of 14333
Anyone here have any experience using a Chimney mount for their TV antennas? If so, I'd like to hear how they work, what Brand of mount you are using and the kind of antennas it is holding?
post #14323 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post

Anyone here have any experience using a Chimney mount for their TV antennas? If so, I'd like to hear how they work, what Brand of mount you are using and the kind of antennas it is holding?

Yes, I've been using a chimney mount since about 2003. I actually bought two mounting kits. They use two straps per kit. I wanted to be sure it wasn't going anywhere so I used 1 1/2 kits, so I'm using a total of three straps. I was just rooting through the garage to find the model but the box seems to be hiding somewhere. I believe it is this kit. It is holding a ChannelMaster 3671 deep fringe UHF/VHF/FM antenna and rotor. I have two 5' masts; the first comes out of the chimney mount and holds the rotor. The second comes out of the rotor and holds the antenna. I'm not using any guy wires. The whole setup has been rock solid for the past 10 years now and we've had some pretty serious wind events during that time. I keep an eye on it, thinking it's gonna move but it hasn't budged.

Paul
Edited by Paul210 - 3/17/14 at 7:46pm
post #14324 of 14333
Thanks for the into Paul. I am going to look into this then. My antenna will be smaller than the 3671 at least to start.
post #14325 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul210 View Post

Yes, I've been using a chimney mount since about 2003. I actually bought two mounting kits. They use two straps per kit. I wanted to be sure it wasn't going anywhere so I used 1 1/2 kits, so I'm using a total of three straps. I was just rooting through the garage to find the model but the box seems to be hiding somewhere. I believe it is this kit. It is holding a ChannelMaster 3671 deep fringe UHF/VHF/FM antenna and rotor. I have two 5' masts; the first comes out of the chimney mount and holds the rotor. The second comes out of the rotor and holds the antenna. I'm not using any guy wires. The whole setup has been rock solid for the past 10 years now and we've had some pretty serious wind events during that time. I keep an eye on it, thinking it's gonna move but it hasn't budged.

Paul

Forgot to ask. How tall is your chimney and how far apart do you have these three straps spaced?
post #14326 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post

Forgot to ask. How tall is your chimney and how far apart do you have these three straps spaced?

It extends approx. 4 feet above the roof line. The straps are about 1 foot apart.
post #14327 of 14333
Thanks for posting the photo. This gives me an idea of what I can do on my roof.

My chimney is smaller though I think it is probably about 3 feet tall. I am not living in the house yet and have not had a chance to get measurements on the roof. Only eyeballed the thing from the ground. Since I am using a smaller, lighter antenna I figure (after seeing your photo) I can still get by with 10 feet of mast even if the strapped part of the mast to the chimney is only 2 to 3 feet high. Will plan to use at least 3 or 4 of these straps then. I already have one of the same CM straps you mentioned and will go out and get another.
post #14328 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post

Thanks for posting the photo. This gives me an idea of what I can do on my roof.

My chimney is smaller though I think it is probably about 3 feet tall. I am not living in the house yet and have not had a chance to get measurements on the roof. Only eyeballed the thing from the ground. Since I am using a smaller, lighter antenna I figure (after seeing your photo) I can still get by with 10 feet of mast even if the strapped part of the mast to the chimney is only 2 to 3 feet high. Will plan to use at least 3 or 4 of these straps then. I already have one of the same CM straps you mentioned and will go out and get another.

There really was no method to my madness for buying two mounting kits at the time other than they were cheap, so why not. I'm far from an engineering type. It just seemed that with an antenna so big, it should be held up there by more than two straps.

That antenna is a total waste of space and weight anymore since they aren't using low VHF. But it seems counter-productive to replace it for no reason other than its size. It receives very well, even if it is only using the front half.

By the way, those straps are probably more than a foot apart, but you can kinda figure it out from the picture. The lower mast is 5'.
post #14329 of 14333
Paul. Only a few VHF low stations still exist. But my guess is if the UHF band is gutted again, we'll see more stations move back down to the VHF band including VHF low.
post #14330 of 14333
Paul. What Rotor are you using with that Channel Master antenna?

Also, I see you are in Dayton. What markets do you receive on a daily basis? Cindy and Dayton? Columbus?
post #14331 of 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post

Paul. What Rotor are you using with that Channel Master antenna?

Also, I see you are in Dayton. What markets do you receive on a daily basis? Cindy and Dayton? Columbus?

The ChannelMaster CM9521A, although I don't know if I can recommend it. I burned up my first motor and ended up having to buy a replacement. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=CM9521A&ss=78478

I'm northwest of Dayton (near Englewood) and I can get all the Dayton/Cincy normal broadcast stations from one heading. Columbus stations are intermittent and usually fade during the day.
post #14332 of 14333
Hello All,

I am moving from Mason to Maineville soon and would like to know the options of TV and Internet providers. What I've found so far is:
  1. Satellite TV or OTA (no internet)
  2. TW Cable for TV and internet
  3. CenturyLink for internet

Does anyone know of other options for TV and/or internet? We just got Fioptics in Mason so I hate to return to TW but it looks like the best option right now.

Any and all advice welcome.

// Scott A
post #14333 of 14333
Depending on where in Maineville - Fioptics is out here. I have Fioptics 20mb internet and it is great. I tried TV and it wasn't quite ready for prime time. We are FTTN (Fiber to the Node). With TV we cap out at 60mb. The biggest problem was the picture would glitch every few minutes - most likley a problem with their delivery and the ZTE boxes. Hopefully it will improve down the road.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Cincinnati, OH - HDTV