or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Hartford, CT - OTA
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hartford, CT - OTA - Page 173

post #5161 of 7074
I live in Hamden, 06518, and just got a Samsung 40" LCD, what do you suggest i do to get OTA HD channels, I'm in an apartment, so can't really do any outdoor mounting...
Thanks!!
post #5162 of 7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpearlberg View Post

I live in Hamden, 06518, and just got a Samsung 40" LCD, what do you suggest i do to get OTA HD channels, I'm in an apartment, so can't really do any outdoor mounting...
Thanks!!

The Zenith Silver Sensor is probably the best indoor antenna. It's UHF, but you should be able to get WTNH dt and WCTX dt with no problem, since they are so close.
post #5163 of 7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul5788 View Post

The Zenith Silver Sensor is probably the best indoor antenna. It's UHF, but you should be able to get WTNH dt and WCTX dt with no problem, since they are so close.


I'm pretty sure that is what I have now, maybe I just need to do some moving around and position it better. I seem to get ABC and myTV9 most of the time. I was hoping to get CBS and FOX...
post #5164 of 7074
You might want to try this Philips version of the Silver Sensor. I found it at my local Wally World, and it works great for me in Southington. You can always return it easily enough if it doesn't work for you....

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3904686
post #5165 of 7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarq View Post

Does anyone know if WFSB will have any HD Masters coverage on 3.2 on Thursday and Friday?

HD coverage of The Masters is being carried on Universal HD on Thursday and Friday. Hopefully, your carrier offers that channel. Watched it yesterday on Direct TV, and plan to again tonight.
post #5166 of 7074
WFSB is also carrying it on their digital channel. I can't say for sure about OTA, but it was on Comcast ch 233 yesterday.
post #5167 of 7074
OK guys, I need a little help here. All this week I've been having real difficulty pulling in WCTX and WTIC when normally they come in fine (still getting WVIT and WTNH without any problem). I'm starting to think the problem is on my end since I haven't seen anyone else mention any difficulties. Before I start pulling my system apart/climbing up on my roof, has anyone else been experiencing this? Thanks.

Ross
post #5168 of 7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTracey View Post

OK guys, I need a little help here. All this week I've been having real difficulty pulling in WCTX and WTIC when normally they come in fine (still getting WVIT and WTNH without any problem). I'm starting to think the problem is on my end since I haven't seen anyone else mention any difficulties. Before I start pulling my system apart/climbing up on my roof, has anyone else been experiencing this? Thanks.

Ross

Ross,

As you can see, I'm in Killingworth and haven't had issues with WTIC this week - watched 24 on Monday, AI and House on Tuesday and AI on Wed. WCTX is another issue. I don't get that very often and didn't even try for it this week.

Edit: Well, I guess you can't see I'm in Killingworth since it's not in my signature on this board - was confused with another forum.
post #5169 of 7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHDinCT View Post

Edit: Well, I guess you can't see I'm in Killingworth since it's not in my signature on this board - was confused with another forum.

South Central CT - Killingworth; same thing, right? ;-)

Thanks!

Ross
post #5170 of 7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTracey View Post

OK guys, I need a little help here. All this week I've been having real difficulty pulling in WCTX and WTIC when normally they come in fine (still getting WVIT and WTNH without any problem). I'm starting to think the problem is on my end since I haven't seen anyone else mention any difficulties. Before I start pulling my system apart/climbing up on my roof, has anyone else been experiencing this? Thanks.

Ross

My reception on them has been okay, WCTX dt is occasionally fussy. It makes no sense since they are on the same tower as WTNH dt. I guess their signals aren't the same strength.
post #5171 of 7074
Thanks Chip - WCTX seems to be back now, but still no FOX - this is driving me nuts!

Ross
post #5172 of 7074
Remember that WTNH-DT is on a VHF channel. Do you have a VHF antenna in use?
post #5173 of 7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by KML-224 View Post

Remember that WTNH-DT is on a VHF channel. Do you have a VHF antenna in use?

Since you didn't quote anyone, I'm not sure who you are asking, but I use a Channel Master 4228. It's a uhf antenna, but it does the high vhf channels quite well. I have no problem picking up WTXX dt, which is channel 12, and WTNH dt, which is channel 10. In fact, I have my antenna pointed away from WTNH, and I get it at full strength.
post #5174 of 7074
OK. I'm in New Britain's south end. I get the weirdest thing if an ordinary pair of VHF telescoping rods are attched to my Magnavox DVD/VCR recorder/Player combo. This is when I'm tuning the DIGITAL tuner built into the unit:

With the antenna's twin lead attached to a pass-through (connects two coax cable ends together to make an extention) and that extra 3-foot coax attached to the antenna input on the combo, it must've resulted in a slight signal improvement...WFSB-DT (CBS) has a slight bit more stability to it. Also, I actually get WUVN-DT (UNI) with only minimal breakup. Significant because Walnut Hill almost completely blocks my house's line-of-sight with Avon Mountain (both to the NNW). Maybe the second cable I attached is less likely to have signal leakage? Who knows?
post #5175 of 7074
Ross, MY TV 9 and FOX both OK all week here in Hamden. Jeff
post #5176 of 7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsmith View Post

Ross, MY TV 9 and FOX both OK all week here in Hamden. Jeff

Thanks Jeff!

Just to give everyone a laugh at my expense, I found the problem - the coax connector for the UHF antenna at the preamp was full of water. Had this setup for over 2 years now and never would have guessed, given the connectors are under the preamp and have full rubber boots over them. Oh well, live and learn....

Ross
post #5177 of 7074
Any news on an ETA for WEDH-DT??
post #5178 of 7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckramer View Post

Any news on an ETA for WEDH-DT??

Not a word.
post #5179 of 7074
I just ordered the Hisense OTA box....now i think i need to get an antenna....I live in an apartment in Hamden....any suggestions on a good indoor amplified antenna that i could use....does anyone know if I actually need an antenna for this....i just had the Samsung H260F Tuner hooked up WITHOUT an antenna and got all the local HD channels OTA....would the Hisense box do the same or will I need an antenna....
Thanks.
post #5180 of 7074
Awhile back, I see there was discusiion of WTNH-DT not coming in for some. I just reconfigured two TiVo Series3s for OTA as well as cable, and although both tell me they are tuning 8.1 and 8.2 at 99 signal strength, I'm not receiving programs on either channel. Ch 59.1 WCTXDT comes in fine, and it's signal strength is shown as around 75.

Anyone have any ideas?
post #5181 of 7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad301 View Post

Awhile back, I see there was discusiion of WTNH-DT not coming in for some. I just reconfigured two TiVo Series3s for OTA as well as cable, and although both tell me they are tuning 8.1 and 8.2 at 99 signal strength, I'm not receiving programs on either channel. Ch 59.1 WCTXDT comes in fine, and it's signal strength is shown as around 75.

Anyone have any ideas?

A couple of weeks ago, WTNH/WCTX was having PSIP and other issues. From my perspective, using a D* HR10-250 TiVo, the problem has been resolved - but for a while, WTNH was showing up on 10.1 and 10.2, then both 8.1/10.1 and 8.2/10.2. I guess what I'm suggesting is you might want to check 10.1 and 10.2 on your TiVos.

Just had my wife check - WTNH is currently showing up on 8.1, 8.2 and 10.3

Ross
post #5182 of 7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpearlberg View Post

I just ordered the Hisense OTA box....now i think i need to get an antenna....I live in an apartment in Hamden....any suggestions on a good indoor amplified antenna that i could use....does anyone know if I actually need an antenna for this....i just had the Samsung H260F Tuner hooked up WITHOUT an antenna and got all the local HD channels OTA....would the Hisense box do the same or will I need an antenna....
Thanks.

Only way to find out if the new box needs an antenna is try it without one. If you do need one, the Zenith Silver Sensor seems to be the most highly recommended solution.

Ross
post #5183 of 7074
Ross, thanks for checking that. I guess I'll have to delve into this a little further.
post #5184 of 7074
Anyone have 1:1 pixel mapping on their displays? If so, I'm curious if anyone sees a line of white pixels on the left on WVIT during national feeds. It happens without fail for me during all HD broadcasts. It's only the national feeds, because in the morning during the Today show, it dissapears when they cut for local news coverage. Even during letterboxed SD commercials during national broadcasts it appears on the far left.

This isn't normal screen flicker or noise on the very top one might see with 0 overscan/underscan. It only happens on channel 30.
post #5185 of 7074
WVIT-DT looks fine on mine.
post #5186 of 7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad301 View Post

Awhile back, I see there was discusiion of WTNH-DT not coming in for some. I just reconfigured two TiVo Series3s for OTA as well as cable, and although both tell me they are tuning 8.1 and 8.2 at 99 signal strength, I'm not receiving programs on either channel. Ch 59.1 WCTXDT comes in fine, and it's signal strength is shown as around 75.

Anyone have any ideas?

I lost OTA 8.1 on my s3 a few weeks ago and it has not come back. Signal strength, like yours, shows 99%. Call Tivo and reference case#6466381. Maybe with two of us they'll be willing to give WTNH a call and try to get it worked out.
post #5187 of 7074
Interesting, Redux......
post #5188 of 7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad301 View Post

Interesting, Redux......

I'm trying to make a decision now, VERY close call: hack the s3 or get rid of it. The resolution of the channel 8.1 issue may be just enough to be a deal maker/breaker. If you're going to call Tivo, do it Monday or early Tuesday. I'm going to call back later Tuesday and if nothing is happening the s3 is a dead issue for me.
post #5189 of 7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post

I lost OTA 8.1 on my s3 a few weeks ago and it has not come back. Signal strength, like yours, shows 99%. Call Tivo and reference case#6466381. Maybe with two of us they'll be willing to give WTNH a call and try to get it worked out.

Gotta be something with PSIP information and WTNH. The channel works on my D* boxes but doesn't work on my Windows Media Center. When I analyze the channels via the FusionHD channel changer, its listed as 10-1 the digital allocation. It does not read the WTNH as 8-1. So it wont tune to the channel when selected.
post #5190 of 7074
Maybe it is a TiVo issue, but has anyone tried to call Angelo in WTNH Engineering and see if he has anything to offer? He did tell me they had installed new equipment several weeks ago and realized there were some issues getting the bugs worked out. I still think they have a PSIP issue given that they show up on both ch 8.1/8.2 and 10.3/10.4 on my HR10-250.

Ross
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Hartford, CT - OTA