or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Uncropped OAR Movies: Post your sightings here.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Uncropped OAR Movies: Post your sightings here. - Page 41

post #1201 of 1278
I had Fios installed yesterday and sat down to watch Alien (Directors Cut) on Cinemax HD and was trying to figure out why, even at 16:9, the edges of the frame looked 'crowded'. Pull up IMDB and lo and behold the OAR is supposed to be 2.20:1 and Cinemax cropped it.
post #1202 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxd View Post

I had Fios installed yesterday and sat down to watch Alien (Directors Cut) on Cinemax HD and was trying to figure out why, even at 16:9, the edges of the frame looked 'crowded'. Pull up IMDB and lo and behold the OAR is supposed to be 2.20:1 and Cinemax cropped it.

All movies...old and new... on HBO and MAX are cropped. The same was true of STARZ but it seems like that might be changing. (knock wood)
post #1203 of 1278
I was watching Lethal Weapon 4 on MAX HD Brazil and it was in OAR.
post #1204 of 1278
THE GUARD on Starz...that's the fourth new release film (not counting LORD OF THE RINGS) presented in OAR on the channel. Fingers still crossed that this continues.
post #1205 of 1278
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer it was OAR on Telecine Action here in Brazil.
post #1206 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

All movies...old and new... on HBO and MAX are cropped. The same was true of STARZ but it seems like that might be changing. (knock wood)

A couple older movies are OAR on HBO and MAX.

Boogie Nights (1997) is running OAR on the HBO and MAX channels in May and June.

Terminator 2 (1991) is OAR on the Max channels this month.
post #1207 of 1278
Point Break on ION (WPXN New York).
post #1208 of 1278
I have noticed that for the past week (at least on Fios) HBO and MAX are OAR (for the most part) EVEN on the SD channels!
Newer scope films may still be reformatted 16:9 bu they are 16:9 on the sd channels as well.
As for Titanic Hd is always scope OAR while one SD screening was full OAR another was reformatted 4:3. (I know yuk but on this film James Cameron HIMself did the SD 4:3 reformatting.)
post #1209 of 1278
Has anyone noticed if the recent airings of the Jaws movies were in the OAR?
post #1210 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post

Has anyone noticed if the recent airings of the Jaws movies were in the OAR?

16:9 reformatted unfortunatly
post #1211 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatjf View Post

I have noticed that for the past week (at least on Fios) HBO and MAX are OAR (for the most part) EVEN on the SD channels!

Newer scope films may still be reformatted 16:9 bu they are 16:9 on the sd channels as well.

As for Titanic Hd is always scope OAR while one SD screening was full OAR another was reformatted 4:3. (I know yuk but on this film James Cameron HIMself did the SD 4:3 reformatting.)

Boogie Nights is being shown OAR in HD and SD on 5 Star Max.
The previous broadcasts were full screen on the Cinemax and HBO SD channels.
post #1212 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatjf View Post

16:9 reformatted unfortunatly

That sucks. Thanks for answering. I've been hoping that they re-did their masters, since the films are rumored to be coming to blu.
post #1213 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post

That sucks. Thanks for answering. I've been hoping that they re-did their masters, since the films are rumored to be coming to blu.


HBO and MAX will never dhow a movie uncropped, except for maybe a few old masters that they haven't gotten around to cropping yet. They are the ones who
started this practice and they aren't about to start showing OAR now. One the other hand, new movies from Sony which had always been cropped when broadcast
on STarz....are now being seen in OAR on Starz! (I'm guessing that is because Sony now has their own movie channel.)
post #1214 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

HBO and MAX will never dhow a movie uncropped, except for maybe a few old masters that they haven't gotten around to cropping yet. They are the ones who
started this practice and they aren't about to start showing OAR now. One the other hand, new movies from Sony which had always been cropped when broadcast
on STarz....are now being seen in OAR on Starz! (I'm guessing that is because Sony now has their own movie channel.)

The same with Disney. I posted in another thread that Mr. Holland's Opus was always shown (and still is, I believe) cropped on Starz. Showtime just showed it in OAR.
post #1215 of 1278
Sammy's Adventures: The Secret Passage is in OAR on Telecine Premium here in Brazil.
post #1216 of 1278
American Beauty is being shown in OAR on MGM HD Latin America.
post #1217 of 1278
IQ (1994) in OAR on HBO Comedy.
post #1218 of 1278

Starz, MGM and HDNet are the channels that I find most often show OAR.  Starz just had Girl with Dragon Tattoo and MGM had the old war movie Bridge at Remagen in a very crisp HD version.  I no longer even check with HBO or Showtime.  I wish they would add an OAR or letterbox descriptor in the "info" page on guides, like FiOS.  I have seen previews for 'on demand' movies that appear to be OAR and when you try to watch it, it is cropped.  I'd like a way to know in advance what the aspect ratio is.

post #1219 of 1278
Does mom have a big in the corner?
post #1220 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

Starz, MGM and HDNet are the channels that I find most often show OAR.  Starz just had Girl with Dragon Tattoo and MGM had the old war movie Bridge at Remagen in a very crisp HD version.  I no longer even check with HBO or Showtime.  

Showtime shows OAR much more consistently than Starz. Starz has been cropping movies for a long time. But as of a few months agoy, Sony films have been presented in OAR (COLUMBIANA, ZOOKEEPER< etc.)
Everything else is still cropped. My guess is that, since Sony has started up their own movie HD channel, they are sending Starz OAR editions of their films, since that is how they are or will be shown on the Sony HD channel. But Showtime (and The Movie Channel) has always been the leader in OAR and still are. Yes, occasionally their is the odd film that is not OAR, but it is the exception and not the rule. (and is usually the studio, such as Paramount, that is at fault when that does occur.) EPIX still shows most new films cropped, especially Patamount titles. So Thor, Iron Man, etc are cropped on EPIX. HDNet, of course, is always a blessing! Can't go wrong with them!
post #1221 of 1278
Popeye (1980) in OAR ActionMAX
post #1222 of 1278
Stay Tuned (1992) on Cinemax.
post #1223 of 1278
The Underneath (1995) on Cinemax.
post #1224 of 1278
How to train your Dragon in OAR on FOX HD Brazil
post #1225 of 1278
Girl with a Pearl Earring (2003) 5 Star Max
Edited by icemannyr - 9/3/12 at 2:02am
post #1226 of 1278
Freejack (1992) OAR on Action Max
post #1227 of 1278
Air America (1990) in OAR on Thriller Max.
post #1228 of 1278
Drive (2011) in OAR on Telecine Premium in Brazil
post #1229 of 1278
The Underneath (1995) in OAR on Max HD
post #1230 of 1278
Chronicles of riddick oar on cinemax hd.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Uncropped OAR Movies: Post your sightings here.