or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Uncropped OAR Movies: Post your sightings here.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Uncropped OAR Movies: Post your sightings here. - Page 6

post #151 of 1278
Topic title changed.
post #152 of 1278
Thread Starter 
The following movies scheduled in July were 2.35:1 OAR when last shown on HBO or Cinemax:

The Edge (HBO July 13, 30)

Gattaca (HBO July 2, 15, 20)

Girl With A Pearl Earring (HBO July 3, 7, 11, 16, 20)

The following pre-1998 movies scheduled in July have an original aspect ratio of 2.35, and may possibly be OAR on HBO or Cinemax:

Carlito's Way (MAX first showing July 5)

Chinatown (MAX only showing July 8) ... I seem to remember this was last shown non-OAR

Contact (MAX first showing July 5)

Dave (MAX first showing July 10)

Kiss the Girls (MAX first showing July 1)

The Road Warrior (MAX first showing July 2) ... I seem to remember this was last shown non-OAR

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (MAX only showing July 24) ... I seem to remember this was last shown OAR

********* Caution: Going off topic *********

Finally the following movies, though 1.85 or less OAR, are on my very short list of all-time favorites ... therefore, I highly recommend:

Into The Arms of Strangers (HBO only showing July 27)

Prince of Tides (MAX only showing July 14)

Scent of A Woman (MAX July 6 first showing)
post #153 of 1278
Looks OAR on CBS via D*.
post #154 of 1278
Yes, CBS showed Changing Lanes in its original 2.35:1. This is the first time I've ever seen something 2.35 or above shown unaltered on a major network. I was amazed! Thank you CBS!
post #155 of 1278
Re: Changing Lanes... I'm assuming this must have been in HiDef?

The reason I ask is because the guide at HDTV Magazine indicated it was SD, so I skipped it.

- Tim
post #156 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoGrabber View Post

Re: Changing Lanes... I'm assuming this must have been in HiDef?

The reason I ask is because the guide at HDTV Magazine indicated it was SD, so I skipped it.

- Tim

Although I did not watch the entire movie, I did see a few minutes ...
- it was HDTV
- it was OAR
- it was DD5.1
post #157 of 1278
Where I live Changing Lanes was HDTV and OAR but not DD5.1. This was OTA from KPIX in San Francisco.
post #158 of 1278
Roxanne was OAR 2.35:1 on Cinemax this morning
post #159 of 1278
Sorry if this was posted, and it appears not to be running right now---but on Starz-HD I recorded Around The World in 80 Days, the Jackie Chan version. It sure looked OAR to me...
post #160 of 1278
80 Days was prolly OAR but it most likely was an up-convert as Starz-HD is now infamous for upconverting Disney movies, though in OAR.
post #161 of 1278
WOW!! max has some great movies, I wish I could get it on E*

-Gary
post #162 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Largo View Post

80 Days was prolly OAR but it most likely was an up-convert as Starz-HD is now infamous for upconverting Disney movies, though in OAR.

Largo---you might be right on the upconvert. I almost remarked that it looked pretty washed out...
post #163 of 1278
Thread Starter 
Kiss the Girls 2.35:1 OAR on Cinemax tonight.
post #164 of 1278
Crimson Tide on Showtime ending right now.
post #165 of 1278
Troy on HBO appears to be open matte with very mild cropping:



Proper blanking will make it very close to OAR.
post #166 of 1278
The Peacemaker on Max is OAR!!!!
post #167 of 1278
Quote:


The Peacemaker on Max is OAR!!!!

AND DD5.1 to boot.

It must have fallen into that very small window between the time that HBO/Cinemax started encoding in 5.1 and before they made the decision to present all movies in a 16:9 aspect ratio.

It's on again tonight at 10 EST. So set those DVRs folks.

Actually it's really not my sort of movie, but a scope ratio and 5.1 probably is enough for me to dedicate a D-VHS tape to it.

Kurt
post #168 of 1278
RESIDENT EVIL: APOCALYPSE on Max is open matte:

post #169 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by robena View Post

RESIDENT EVIL: APOCALYPSE on Max is open matte:


Open matte is not OAR.
post #170 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Open matte is not OAR.

We already have been over that point sooner in this thread.

People whose projector allow blanking can matte the movie properly, with the help of the posted pictures, and get an OAR presentation. It's very helpful to know which movies are open matte.
post #171 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by robena View Post

We already have been over that point sooner in this thread.

People whose projector allow blanking can matte the movie properly, with the help of the posted pictures, and get an OAR presentation. It's very helpful to know which movies are open matte.

It might have been, but just because the live action shots are open matte doesn't mean the FX shots aren't cropped. Since most action movies these days like Spider-Man2 are laden with CG/FX it sort of makes the point moot. There are a few cases (like Terminator 3) where the open matte version is preferable, but very few.

OAR is OAR.

How about starting a new thread listing Open Matte showings, and noting how much of the FX is maintained?
post #172 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

It might have been, but just because the live action shots are open matte doesn't mean the FX shots aren't cropped. Since most action movies these days like Spider-Man2 are laden with CG/FX it sort of makes the point moot. There are a few cases (like Terminator 3) where the open matte version is preferable, but very few.

That's the point of posting frames. Spidey 2 FX scenes are not cropped for example:





I just checked an FX scene on Resident Evil, no cropping either.

Quote:


How about starting a new thread listing Open Matte showings, and noting how much of the FX is maintained?

That's not a bad idea, but on the other hand, this thread is monitored by people who want to be able to see OAR movies.

The truly open matte movies (which are the only ones I post about) can be seen OAR, so I think it's useful to post about them here.
post #173 of 1278
Thanks for pointing that out with Spidey2. I guess I'll have to tape it next time it comes on HBO.
post #174 of 1278
Interestingly, in both the Res Evil and the Spidey Clips you posted, the image on the OAR shots look better in ways that have little to do with OAR.

Colors seem more saturated and contrast level is higher, despite the two true OAR captures coming from a NTSC DVD (I assume) vs a HDTV source for the open mattes.

Anyone have any ideas why this would be the case?

Robert did you "touch up" the DVD captures?

Kurt
post #175 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by robena View Post

People whose projector allow blanking can matte the movie properly, with the help of the posted pictures, and get an OAR presentation. It's very helpful to know which movies are open matte.


But how about the vast majority of sets that aren't projectors? No, I won't be making masks of fabrics or cardboard to anything else to cover part of the plasma's screen. As DaveFi said, OAR is OAR. If it's open matte, it's not OAR. The viewer shouldn't have to manipulate his display to create an OAR presentation.
post #176 of 1278
I much prefer OAR to open matte, but HD open matte is better than DVD if you can blank, so this information is useful to some people, that's all.

Cropped or open matte movies should be banned, I agree, but you do with what you have...
post #177 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry G View Post

But how about the vast majority of sets that aren't projectors? No, I won't be making masks of fabrics or cardboard to anything else to cover part of the plasma's screen. As DaveFi said, OAR is OAR. If it's open matte, it's not OAR. The viewer shouldn't have to manipulate his display to create an OAR presentation.

Actually I would advise you to do just that.

Prior to setting up a front PJ in a dedicated home-theater room I did my serious movie watching on a 53 in Sony CRT Rear-projector. It was a 4:3 aspect ratio screen with a 16:9 mode (the scan lines were compressed closer together in that mode).

I made mattes that corresponded to both the 16:9 aspect ratio and a 2.35:1 aspect ratio. They resulted in an improved image.

You would be able to use them both on open-matted movies and scope ratio movies presented in OAR. Plasma sets have a shiny glasss screen and relatively high black levels. The mattes would create a true black area free from all reflections (internal or external).

Kurt
post #178 of 1278
Contact on MAX is OAR!!!!! beautiful Colors too
post #179 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post

Contact on MAX is OAR!!!!! beautiful Colors too

Very good PQ as well. Bummer its only Dolby 2.0, but something I've wanted to see in OAR for a while...let's hope Boogie Nights is as well.
post #180 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by old64mb View Post

Very good PQ as well. Bummer its only Dolby 2.0, but something I've wanted to see in OAR for a while...let's hope Boogie Nights is as well.

Boogie Nights is OAR for sure

I have it recorded on DVHS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Uncropped OAR Movies: Post your sightings here.