or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Jacksonville, FL - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Jacksonville, FL - HDTV - Page 144

post #4291 of 4506
those of you not receiving qam locals:
have you attempted to call a local comcast office and voice your complaints? i plan to call comcast in orange park this afternoon
post #4292 of 4506
Lkr - yes I have called - but to clarify - locals are available in clear QAM just not HD.
post #4293 of 4506
locals are pointless if they're not in HD. did they give you a run around when you called? I wish I could get VHF working here so I could watch locals on my htpc
post #4294 of 4506
I'm on the phone right now with some who has no clue what a QAM tuner is and is oblivious to the fact that HD QAM exists. This is just fantastic. Although she is putting me on hold now, so maybe I'll get transferred to someone that has a little more technical knowledge.
post #4295 of 4506
AT&T U-verse is now available for my location. I'm particularly interested in hearing opinions about the PQ of the HD channels and the Total Home DVR capabilities. I'm currently on Comcast.

Anyone have experience with U-verse?
post #4296 of 4506
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

AT&T U-verse is now available for my location. I'm particularly interested in hearing opinions about the PQ of the HD channels and the Total Home DVR capabilities. I'm currently on Comcast.

Anyone have experience with U-verse?

what location are you in? i'm desperately awaiting uverse in Fleming Island so I can dump Comcast phone/Internet.
post #4297 of 4506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkr View Post

what location are you in? i'm desperately awaiting uverse in Fleming Island so I can dump Comcast phone/Internet.

I'm in the Deerwood area in So. Jacksonville. I've been periodically checking my address at att.com/new4you. When I saw work being done in the neighborhood recently I suspected it might be for U-verse and sure enough, it's available now.

I've been ready to ditch Comcast for some time and U-verse seems like it might be a good alternative and potentially save a bundle versus my Comcast cable, dsl and landline phone. They claim internet speeds ranging from 12 mbps for their Max service to 18 Mbps for Max Plus and 24 Mbps for Max Turbo (all taken with a healthy dose of skepticism). Nevertheless, I'm currently on a 6 Mbps dsl line.

The full U450 TV package has 390 digital channels and 115 HD channels. They have 3 other lesser packages. The Total Home DVR has 4 tuners and records and plays back from any TV that has a receiver attached. I can't tell the size of the HDD but it says it stores 233 hours of SD or 65 hours of HD. That's about 3 times the storage of my 160 GB Moto DVR's. I could get rid of the 3 Comcast DVR's in place of the 1 DVR with U-verse.

A couple of concerns I have is I believe the number of HD streams is limited to either 2 or 3 simultaneously. In my household, we can regularly have 3 HD sets going at once. I'm wondering also if internet speeds slow considerably with HD streaming to the TV's. Also, there have been reports in other places of PQ problems, especially with fast moving content such as sports, but I don't know how that is related to distance to node, or house wiring, etc.

I would love to see for myself how it works before I attempt to switch, or at least hear from others that have it in the Jacksonville area. I could potentially save a significant amount and get better internet speeds and more HD channels.
post #4298 of 4506
U-Verse sucks. No QAM at all, everything uses their crappy Microsoft IPTV tech.

Wish it was real FTTH like Verizon has :-/
post #4299 of 4506
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaprog View Post

U-Verse sucks. No QAM at all, everything uses their crappy Microsoft IPTV tech.

Wish it was real FTTH like Verizon has :-/

Yeah, Verizon FIOS would be great. However, I have to choose between Comcast and U-verse. I can get by without QAM but how crappy is the IPTV?
post #4300 of 4506
I have had U-verse for two years and have been very happy with the service. We get a ton of channels, the whole home dvr and we are paying $180 for tv, phone, internet, two additional boxes and taxes and fees and that is for the U450, 12 mps and unlimited long distance. I know some people complain about the pq but I really haven't had many complaints in fact most people that come over compliment the picture.
post #4301 of 4506
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane99 View Post

I have had U-verse for two years and have been very happy with the service. We get a ton of channels, the whole home dvr and we are paying $180 for tv, phone, internet, two additional boxes and taxes and fees and that is for the U450, 12 mps and unlimited long distance. I know some people complain about the pq but I really haven't had many complaints in fact most people that come over compliment the picture.

Thanks for the reply. How is the DVR? Any significant problems (bugs)? Does it have a 30-sec. skip?

Have you noticed significant slowdowns with your internet service while you are watching TV? How many TV's can stream HD simultaneously? Sorry, I could ask a hundred questions.

I'm paying that much just for Comcast Total Premium with 3 DVR's and I don't get half as many HD channels. Add in my dsl line and phone landline and I'm approaching $250/month.
post #4302 of 4506
One of the downsides to Uverse is that you can only view 2 HD streams at a time - this doesn't effect my wife and I but it might some here.

on the plus side the IPTV system software that is built by Microsoft means that possibly (rumored) at least that you will be able to use an xbox 360 (possibly a Media center PC) to connect to their DVR later this year (probably longer) which would be nice for us Media Center people.
post #4303 of 4506
Scolumbo, I can answer a few Qs from having used uverse DVR the last few days where I was staying.

It has a 30 sec skip, but it's not instant. It's like a timed burst of 2x FF. You can't press it 7 times quickly for 3.5 min. The FF seemed to work pretty good, and there was proper skip back when ended.

Overall, the unit was very responsive in navigating the functions. My only comparison is to the Moto 6412 boxes Comcast used a few years ago. Uverse was more responsive.
Not anything like a HTPC or Tivo, but you could live with it if you aren't picky.

PQ looked good, but I was watching an old SDTV and this was in Texas, so not really relevant.
post #4304 of 4506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator99 View Post

on the plus side the IPTV system software that is built by Microsoft means that possibly (rumored) at least that you will be able to use an xbox 360 (possibly a Media center PC) to connect to their DVR later this year (probably longer) which would be nice for us Media Center people.

That would be great. Is there currently a way to offload content from the DVR to a HTPC?
post #4305 of 4506
grittee-
Thanks. The Moto boxes have improved with firmware updates over the last couple of years but they are still very slow. At least they don't crash as often.

As long as the U-verse DVR is relatively reliable, I can live without all of the functionality of a Tivo. I'm moving (slowly) toward integrating a HTPC into my main theater room, but I'd like to have a good functioning DVR for the family. They don't know what they're missing with a Tivo anyway.
post #4306 of 4506
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

That would be great. Is there currently a way to offload content from the DVR to a HTPC?


I doubt there is but here is to hoping.
post #4307 of 4506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagfan28 View Post

I am on the top floor, but i don't have a balcony or a window with a southern exposure. they will not allow my to put one on the roof either.

Then just do like a friend of mine did? Campaign for the HOA presidency, get elected, ram through a change to the HOA rules that allows for installation of satellite dishes, then resign.
post #4308 of 4506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator99 View Post

Lkr - yes I have called - but to clarify - locals are available in clear QAM just not HD.

Jeff, to be clear, are you saying that in the areas that are upgraded (OrPk & beaches, for ex) and you don't have an analog expanded basic trap on your line, the local stations are not in HD on clear QAM? ABC on 66-6 (1.6), NBC on 64-2 (1.21), etc. You only get them on 76-xx?

Are they there, but encrypted?
post #4309 of 4506
Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

Jeff, to be clear, are you saying that in the areas that are upgraded (OrPk & beaches, for ex) and you don't have an analog expanded basic trap on your line, the local stations are not in HD on clear QAM? ABC on 66-6 (1.6), NBC on 64-2 (1.21), etc. You only get them on 76-xx?

Are they there, but encrypted?

No - I was saying that if he uses the DTA then the channels he gets will only be SD

With the traps off you can get locals in the clear.
post #4310 of 4506
The analog cutoff in the Deerwood sector occurred today. Without notice. 2.5 mos early.
post #4311 of 4506
Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

The analog cutoff in the Deerwood sector occurred today. Without notice. 2.5 mos early.

Did Deerwood get WOM?
post #4312 of 4506
This is what the liar jackass at Comcast told me...He told me the FCC was requiring them to scramble the HD channels. I called him a liar and told him I wasn't stupid. I asked him why the FCC would do that....he said they were making their switch to Digital and the FCC was requiring them to scramble the HD locals...

It really is amazing how stupid these people can be! This is why monopolies are supposed to be illegal!


From the FCC website.... fcc.gov
Programming carried on the system. With the exception of rules that require cable systems to carry certain local broadcast stations, cable systems decide which programming services to carry. Therefore, you should contact your cable system if it has dropped a particular channel.


Also....the decisions concerning what services to offer and on which tier to offer those services, are within the discretion of the cable operator.
post #4313 of 4506
What is WOM?

Also, local ABC WJXXDT on QAM is not scrambled (yet?)
post #4314 of 4506
Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

What is WOM?

Also, local ABC WJXXDT on QAM is not scrambled (yet?)

World of More. The "new" HD channels listed on the left column of this article.

http://jacksonville.com/business/201...ed_adapter_box
post #4315 of 4506
I'm in the Deerwood area but I've been out of town all week. I'll be curious to see if the additional channels are there when I return this weekend esp since they weren't scheduled to show up until August.
post #4316 of 4506
As an update, no new HD channels have appeared at my house in the Deerwood area.
post #4317 of 4506
Nothing new in San Marco
post #4318 of 4506
I'm glad I have D* for my TV viewing, you guys should all switch. Comcast in the area(and everywhere for the most part) is horrid
post #4319 of 4506
I had D* in our prior house but it won't work for me now. Too many trees that block any possibility of a pole-mount, and the boss of the house won't allow a dish on our clay-tile roof, so I have an install for U-verse scheduled for next Saturday.

The introductory 12-month promotion AT&T has now will save me over $100/month vs. my Comcast, dsl, and landline phone bill. Even after the introductory rate is over, it will still be about $50/month cheaper.

I noticed that U-verse is rolling out a 3HD/1SD simultaneous stream for some parts of the country, hopefully that will occur in Jacksonville soon. The 2HD/2SD limit is probably my biggest concern switching to U-Verse.

I'm also hoping I won't notice a significant difference in PQ, but Comcast seems to have gotten progressively worse over the last couple of years. Comcast used to beat D* in HD PQ (IMO) but I'm not sure that's true anymore.
post #4320 of 4506
The analog shutoff in Comcast Deerwood sector has ended. I guess they are back to the Aug 25 schedule. From my experience with it, I probably should go ahead and book a service call for Aug 26.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Jacksonville, FL - HDTV