or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Summary and Updates on Comcast HD DVR Deployment -- All Areas
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Summary and Updates on Comcast HD DVR Deployment -- All Areas - Page 6  

post #151 of 885
Jeff,

Have you had the opportunity to use the DVI port? If so, do you get any improvement in PQ over the component video port? Did you notice any improvement in PQ upgrading from Motorola 5100?
post #152 of 885
I don't have any firewire hard drives, and my TV is a Mits, so no DVI input. I'm not aware of any of the other beta testers.
post #153 of 885
Jeff I don't know if you have talked to a member by the username of "bryankeithg" who has a RCA DVR10. He is in Sac area and might be able to work with you.
post #154 of 885
Jeff,

Thanks for the quick response to my questions above. Did you notice any improvement in PQ through the fireware ports on your Mits? If so, was it on analog, digital, or HD channels?
post #155 of 885
Quote:
Originally posted by UCSB
Jeff,

Thanks for the quick response to my questions above. Did you notice any improvement in PQ through the fireware ports on your Mits? If so, was it on analog, digital, or HD channels?
The picture is so blocky right now, I can't give you an honest answer. It's breaking up really badly right now, so I haven't really compared PQ yet. I guess a new box is supposed to show up in the next week or so, so I'll see then if it fixes anything.
post #156 of 885
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveFi
I thought the agreement said that Firewire must support existing hardware with that functionality? To me that specifically means DVHS.
I was being cynical in response to another post but passing on my take at the same time. The agreement requires that recording equipment adhere to the "copy once" etc. regime; otherwise, it is device-agnostic.
post #157 of 885
Will the firewire support non-HD content also? In otherwords, will it convert it to transport streams and send it out the firewire port?
post #158 of 885
I called my Comcast Rep yesterday and she said the earliest we would see the DVR is early Feb. This date keeps slipping ( I wonder what the issues are). On, the plus side, we finally got ON-Demand in PG County Maryland. There is a week long rollout going on. I am in Clinton.
post #159 of 885
SonomaSearcher, just got off phone with a Philadelphia tech CSR and his manager says the 6208 HD DVR won't be rolled out in Philly/So. Jersey until late 2nd quarter. Bummer! He also new nothing about the 6200. Until the 6208 is out I would at least like to get the 6200 so I can use the DVI output. I also spoke with a Calf. tech who said the 6208 just got rolled out there in the last week.
For all you football fanatics the problems the Philly area have been having the last 24 hours with channel 180 ABC HD have been fixed! Good news as the game is on tonight!.
post #160 of 885
Didn't somebody already say that Philly market will not be rolling out 6208, instead they will wait till summer and roll out 6408? Maybe CSR really meant to say 6408 instead of 6208.

V
post #161 of 885
Quote:
Originally posted by wineluver
just got off phone with a Philadelphia tech CSR and his manager says the 6208 HD DVR won't be rolled out in Philly/So. Jersey until late 2nd quarter.
Did he actually say the model number? I'm wondering if some of the Comcast markets are just going to wait for the 6408 which is supposed to be out soon. In fact, I think I remember someone saying this a while back -- that their market had no intention of releasing the 6208 and they would be offering the 6408 in the middle of '04.
post #162 of 885
Quote:
I would at least like to get the 6200 so I can use the DVI output.
The 6200 uses the same firmware/software as the 5100 and the DVI port is inactive and will be until its activated simultaneously on both.
post #163 of 885
Quote:
Originally posted by wineluver
I also spoke with a Calf. tech who said the 6208 just got rolled out there in the last week.
Not sure who the California tech is, but I'm not expecting the 6208 to be available to the masses in at least Northern California for another 2-3 months. There are some problems with the box, and both Motorola and Comcast are working to fix them.
post #164 of 885
Quote:
Originally posted by nightowl
Not sure who the California tech is, but I'm not expecting the 6208 to be available to the masses in at least Northern California for another 2-3 months. There are some problems with the box, and both Motorola and Comcast are working to fix them.
If this is true then I will have to go back to E* so the wife would stop complaining about the lack of Tivo like functions. I can only wait anther two weeks but not 2-3 months.
post #165 of 885
Quote:
Originally posted by nightowl
I'm not expecting the 6208 to be available to the masses in at least Northern California for another 2-3 months. There are some problems with the box, and both Motorola and Comcast are working to fix them.
Obviously they are still having software/firmware problems with the box but keep in mind that Comcast already has the boxes and all they have to do is upload the software and distribute them. I know it's easier said then done but I expect that once they go final on the software the units will be available shortly thereafter. Comcast has already created too much of a buzz to delay these any more then they have to.
post #166 of 885
Quote:
Originally posted by fender4645
Obviously they are still having software/firmware problems with the box but keep in mind that Comcast already has the boxes and all they have to do is upload the software and distribute them. I know it's easier said then done but I expect that once they go final on the software the units will be available shortly thereafter. Comcast has already created too much of a buzz to delay these any more then they have to.
I'm a tester in Sacramento, and have the box. There are a few issues that I've had with the box, but apparently there are more severe problems as well. I'm expecting some sort of upgrade in the next week or so, so we'll see.
post #167 of 885
Just called Dallas CSR, and they claim that the DVR in my 6208 will be turned on in the next couple of weeks. Somehow I'm not buying it, but at least he knew what I was asking about, unlike a few months ago.

Will keep ya updated...

OH, and how did the beta folks here get into the Comcast beta program? I'm quite curious/interested. I hate the PQ from my TIVO now, but I hate watching live TV too! Arghhh, I'm in media hell!
post #168 of 885
I went by my local Comcast office here in the Bay Area the other day and they too said it should be out in a few weeks. A grain of salt folks...



Quote:
Originally posted by jwedding
OH, and how did the beta folks here get into the Comcast beta program?
Look at earlier posts from nightowl...I believe he told his story on how he beccame a tester.
post #169 of 885
Have heard from several sources within Comcast for Montgomery county Maryland that deployment of the 6208 is imminent. So maybe we might get it in 3 months ;). No cost or notification information at this point.
post #170 of 885
1/12/04-Called Comcast CSR in Dallas again:

"Oh, we're going to turn that on next month or so."

Don't hold your breath folks, we've achieved limbo!
post #171 of 885
Just got off the phone with Comcast. They are still encouraging me to call back at the end of January. Hopefully, customers in the San Francisco Bay Area will be able to start placing orders in two or three weeks for the 6208.
post #172 of 885
Someone in the Sacramento area should call Comcast and double check the DVR rollout schedule.

I was on the phone with Comcast today, ordering basic cable and high speed internet service for my son that is a college student in Sacramento, and asked about the DVR rollout. Now realize that I was talking to an employee in the high-speed internet area, but that person said that the schedule was slipping because of technical difficulties and that rollout could be months out.

This does not seem to be in sync with my other post above about a late January rollout for the San Francisco Bay Area.
post #173 of 885
Quote:
Originally posted by UCSB
Someone in the Sacramento area should call Comcast and double check the DVR rollout schedule.

I was on the phone with Comcast today, ordering basic cable and high speed internet service for my son that is a college student in Sacramento, and asked about the DVR rollout. Now realize that I was talking to an employee in the high-speed internet area, but that person said that the schedule was slipping because of technical difficulties and that rollout could be months out.

This does not seem to be in sync with my other post above about a late January rollout for the San Francisco Bay Area.
My educated guess is March at the earliest. If you can get someone from Comcast to give you a date, I suspect that March is the earliest.
post #174 of 885
THis thread is too jumbled. Some people posting about DVR some people posting about HD-DVR.
Some people posting about something but not exactly sure what.

Maybe we should start a new one devoted SOLELY to HD-DVR...
post #175 of 885
Joe ... sorry about any confusion. In the San Francisco Bay Area and Sacramento regions we are on the Comcast Motorola system. We currently do not have any SD or HD DVR options. In using DVR, I was referring to the new Motorola 6208 HD DVR. There will not be a SD DVR offered in these regions.
post #176 of 885
"There will not be a SD DVR offered in these regions."

This >>still<< makes no sense to me.

But I'll take the 6208 as something to play with alongside my Tivo anyway.
post #177 of 885
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
"There will not be a SD DVR offered in these regions."

This >>still<< makes no sense to me.

But I'll take the 6208 as something to play with alongside my Tivo anyway.
What he's saying is that Comcast has no plans to offer a DVR that is SD only. The 6208 records all formats on cable - analog, digital SD, and HD.

If I wanted SD only, I would likely choose a Tivo standalone to go with cable, and not mess with the Motorola box.

Jeff
post #178 of 885
Thread Starter 
Hey Jeff,

What's the latest on the rollout in Sacto area? I assume you are continuing to beta the 6208-- anything new?

Have they resolved all hardware issues, as far as you know? Software issues? (What's the latest firmware on your 6208?) If it's not ready yet for general customer launch, are they telling you what the holdup is?

Sorry for a million questions-- in case you couldn't tell, with other service providers rolling out their HD DVR's to the general customer population, I am getting a little impatient.

Thanks for all the information to date,

Sonoma
post #179 of 885
Thread Starter 
I just made a couple of calls to CSR lines (800 COMCAST number and the 888 number) and was told (1) end of first quarter/April and (2) March, so fairly consistent responses. Both CSR's were told they are still working out the glitches and one said that Comcast is still negotiating with other companies besides Motorola to provide DVR boxes.

For what it's worth, the 888 CSR told me that VOD would be rolling out on the Concord (California) Comcast system next week, with the other Bay Area systems in the weeks that follow.
post #180 of 885
"If I wanted SD only, I would likely choose a Tivo standalone to go with cable, and not mess with the Motorola box."

I have 3 DirecTV/Tivos.... I want a two-tuner, integrated box from Comcast to play around with, primarily for giggles. I'd record some HD if it could do so, I'm just more interested in research right now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Summary and Updates on Comcast HD DVR Deployment -- All Areas