or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Greenville, SC - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Greenville, SC - HDTV - Page 326

post #9751 of 10293
Yes that's the guy. And glad to hear you are making a good antenna choice SpencerKarter. And a preamp such as the 8700 may help, depending upon length of cable. I would give that 8700 a try. But that 7698 antenna is a very good choice, and Winegard makes good products.
post #9752 of 10293
tylerSC,

I had second thoughts. My C490 outdoor antenna has been fixed and when I've pointed it North and Northwest I've picked up every GSP station except WLOS 13 (I wish WLOS' signal wasn't problematic) so for ABC programming I had to rely on WJBF 6 from Augusta, GA or WOLO 25 from Columbia, SC frown.gif

When I've pointed my antenna east, I've got nearly every Columbia, SC station over the air, but WOLO's aka ABC Columbia's signal was better than the other Columbia stations I get over the air, I don't know why.

So I decided to get me an Rotor for my outdoor antenna so I could not go outside during the night to adjust the antenna to different directions. Once again, I'm having trouble getting WLOS 13 over the air.

On the happy side, I've picked up one Charlotte, NC station OTA WCNC 36.
post #9753 of 10293
As I suspected before, you may have been experiencing some sort of technical problem with your antenna SpencerKarter. Glad you got the problem fixed, as I figured you possibly may not have had the balun connected properly, or some other sort of problem. But you could try a preamp again and see if that will help, especially with WLOS. Although if you get WOLO, then you should be fine for ABC. I only watch 13 for ABC if I am not receiving WSOC, which is spotty for me during the day but often strong at night. WLOS does not cover Upstate news, so you are good with WYFF-4 or WSPA-7 for local coverage. But you either need a rotor or a 2 antenna set up to get both GSP and Columbia conveniently. But I still say either a Winegard 7698 or Antennacraft HBU-55 would be the best antenna choices for your location, unless you went with a separate 91XG and 7-13 antenna set up. And possibly a WG-8700 or Kitztech 200 preamp. But you can go ahead and make do with what you have since it now seems to be working for the most part.
post #9754 of 10293
tylerSC,

When I had my preamp on my antenna, the FM Trap was ON, after we took the preamp down, we put the FM Trap OFF. During the daytime when I've pointed my antenna towards east and southeast, I can get only one Columbia, SC station that is WOLO 25 aka ABC Columbia and I can get all the Augusta, GA stations except WFXG 54 without the preamp. BTW, last night I've picked up WLOS 13 while I've pointed my antenna North.
post #9755 of 10293
After much debate (and trial and error using indoor antennas) I'm about ready to put up a real outdoor setup. After much research I chose the HD Stacker from Denny's Antenna service. It is made by Wineguard, and had very good reviews from most places based on what I've read. He recommended a pre-amp that wouldn't overpower the closer stations, as I'm 27 miles away from the Gaston towers of most of the Charlotte Stations.. (and 16 miles from WSOC's Shelby translator). I'm curious to see how it works once I get it up and running next week. My house has a very high roof, so I think by the time we get done it'll be about 40 feet or so in the air. I'm pointing at the direction of the WCCB/WSOC and WAXN towers hoping to pick those up, I'm counting on being able to grab WYFF and WSPA from the back side but we'll see how it goes.
post #9756 of 10293
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post

tylerSC,

When I had my preamp on my antenna, the FM Trap was ON, after we took the preamp down, we put the FM Trap OFF. During the daytime when I've pointed my antenna towards east and southeast, I can get only one Columbia, SC station that is WOLO 25 aka ABC Columbia and I can get all the Augusta, GA stations except WFXG 54 without the preamp. BTW, last night I've picked up WLOS 13 while I've pointed my antenna North.
It could be your strong SCETV signal from Greenwood Channel 38 is overpowering your preamp, or perhaps it was not connected properly. You may consider a lower gain Winegard 269 preamp and see if that works better.
post #9757 of 10293
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post

After much debate (and trial and error using indoor antennas) I'm about ready to put up a real outdoor setup. After much research I chose the HD Stacker from Denny's Antenna service. It is made by Wineguard, and had very good reviews from most places based on what I've read. He recommended a pre-amp that wouldn't overpower the closer stations, as I'm 27 miles away from the Gaston towers of most of the Charlotte Stations.. (and 16 miles from WSOC's Shelby translator). I'm curious to see how it works once I get it up and running next week. My house has a very high roof, so I think by the time we get done it'll be about 40 feet or so in the air. I'm pointing at the direction of the WCCB/WSOC and WAXN towers hoping to pick those up, I'm counting on being able to grab WYFF and WSPA from the back side but we'll see how it goes.
Well the Hi VHF part of that antenna should be aimed to receive WSPA RF7 and WLOS RF13. Since you probably don't need WTVI RF11 from Charlotte, and possibly can't get it anyway. The UHF could be pointed between the Charlotte towers, but may or may not receive WYFF4 (RF36) and WHNS RF21. But you should get WJZY-46 (RF47) easily, so that will soon take care of FOX. But if you wanted an antenna to receive from both directions, then perhaps a Clearstream 4 without the reflector may have worked, and combine with a 7-13 antenna from Antennacraft or Winegard. Or a 43XG for Clt and a 7696 or 7698 for GSP. Either combined or better with an A/B switch. But the Stacker is a good antenna, but I am worried about the UHF getting 4 and 21 off the back. But you may luck out. And perhaps consider a WG 269 or 8700 preamp. I guess you may be around Gaffney or Blacksburg somewhere? Good luck and please report back your results.
post #9758 of 10293
I am trying to sell an almost new 55" Samsung LED at very good price, but for some reason it would not let me post in the Classifieds section. It kept saying post valid price, but I tried posting the price I am asking, but it would not work. Very nice TV, no issues. But prefer plasma. 55ES7100 for sale, PM if interested.
post #9759 of 10293
I've picked up one Greensboro, NC station over the air via Tropo/DXing WGHP 8 (FOX) which is 174 miles from here and I've picked up Raleigh's WRAL 5 (CBS) which the latter signal wasn't good. I've pointed my antenna North at my location. WRAL broadcasts Y&R at 4pm weekdays of course.
post #9760 of 10293
Speaking of Y&R, Mrs. Chancellor pass away and they have very nice tribute show yesterday. They show her final scene where she walk up the stairs and say goodnight for the last time. She will be very missed as the long time matriarch of that program for 40 years.
post #9761 of 10293
On my adjacent locals I get over the air from Augusta, GA I see that WRDW-TV added AntennaTV on 12.3, I think we're jealous. I wish Greenville, SC market has a AntennaTV or Bounce affiliate. The GSP market always left out when it comes to this. I wish WMYA 40.3 replace The Country Network with AntennaTV and Bounce on 40.2 One of those days. Columbia, Myrtle Beach, and Charleston has Bounce but why not Greenville?

Speaking of my locals I get, when I point my antenna north I can get off and on signal of WLOS 13 (ABC) over the air but mostly the nighttime, once again if we wanted to watch ABC programming we have to rely on WJBF 6 from Augusta, GA or WOLO 25 from Columbia SC (it it's pointed East of my direction).

What do you think tylerSC?
post #9762 of 10293
It is good that you can receive Columbia and Augusta SpencerKarter. Bounce channel is carried on Raycom stations WBTV in Charlotte and WIS in Columbia. And Antenna TV is currently carried on WJZY 46.2. But you do have Me TV on WSPA 7.2 which has a good selection of old shows.
post #9763 of 10293
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

It is good that you can receive Columbia and Augusta SpencerKarter. Bounce channel is carried on Raycom stations WBTV in Charlotte and WIS in Columbia. And Antenna TV is currently carried on WJZY 46.2. But you do have Me TV on WSPA 7.2 which has a good selection of old shows.

I do get 7.2 (METV) over the air. smile.gif
post #9764 of 10293
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post

I do get 7.2 (METV) over the air. smile.gif
Overall I think Me TV has best selection including I Love Lucy. But I also enjoy Antenna TV and they show All in the Family. Sadly Jean Stapleton, Edith Bunker just pass away.
post #9765 of 10293
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post

I do get 7.2 (METV) over the air. smile.gif
Overall I think Me TV has best selection including I Love Lucy. But I also enjoy Antenna TV and they show All in the Family. Sadly Jean Stapleton, Edith Bunker just pass away.

 

Antenna TV is running an "All in the Family" marathon tomorrow (June 4).

 

Unfortunately for Lucy fans, MeTV now has a lot less Lucy (and no Desi), at least for a while.

( Those channels change their schedules several times a year.)

 

They should give "Kojak" a better time slot, too, because everybody loves Kojak, baby.

 

http://blog.sitcomsonline.com/2013/05/metv-networks-summer-2013-schedule.html

post #9766 of 10293
Has anyone in Asheville noticed channel 50 (WASV-LP) off the air for the last few days?

It was broadcasting for a while, 50.1 was TNN, 50.2 was RetroTV but I lost it over the weekend. No signal whatsoever.
post #9767 of 10293
Would a TV Antenna Signal Amplifier spiltter work on a amplified rabbit ears?
post #9768 of 10293
Realoldman, Best Buy has a Clearstream 2V - Complete antenna which can be used indoors with a dist amp. Has double UHF loops and a dipole for VHF. Good antenna, but cheaper from Solid Signal or some other online source. Something you could consider. You could even use an 8-bay indoors if you choose, and the MCM version from Stellar Labs is on sale for $49. Good for Charlotte UHF signals, and may also receive HiVHF 7 and 13 signals, along with other GSP locals. And they have a Holland dist amp for $14.99 with source code on bottom of their home page. And they also have a Stellar Labs triple boom yagi for $39. Some choices to consider.
post #9769 of 10293
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Realoldman, Best Buy has a Clearstream 2V - Complete antenna which can be used indoors with a dist amp. Has double UHF loops and a dipole for VHF. Good antenna, but cheaper from Solid Signal or some other online source. Something you could consider. You could even use an 8-bay indoors if you choose, and the MCM version from Stellar Labs is on sale for $49. Good for Charlotte UHF signals, and may also receive HiVHF 7 and 13 signals, along with other GSP locals. And they have a Holland dist amp for $14.99 with source code on bottom of their home page. And they also have a Stellar Labs triple boom yagi for $39. Some choices to consider.

What do you think of this one as i need east, north east and south west?

Dual Quad Bay Outdoor UHF/HDTV Bowtie Antenna
High gain outdoor directional antenna is engineered to receive UHF signals for digital and high definition television. Bowtie design provides wider pickup pattern. Adjustable horizontal boom allows vertical sections to be independently aimed, allowing greater pickup width flexibility.
Thanks
post #9770 of 10293
Quote:
Originally Posted by realoldman View Post

What do you think of this one as i need east, north east and south west?

Dual Quad Bay Outdoor UHF/HDTV Bowtie Antenna
High gain outdoor directional antenna is engineered to receive UHF signals for digital and high definition television. Bowtie design provides wider pickup pattern. Adjustable horizontal boom allows vertical sections to be independently aimed, allowing greater pickup width flexibility.
Thanks
That is the 8-Bay I am referring to. Should be a good choice. Good price. And consider the Holland dist amp also. Might help. $19.99 reduced to $14.99 with Source code from bottom of the home page.
post #9771 of 10293
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

That is the 8-Bay I am referring to. Should be a good choice. Good price. And consider the Holland dist amp also. Might help. $19.99 reduced to $14.99 with Source code from bottom of the home page.

What about 3 way splitter?
post #9772 of 10293
Quote:
Originally Posted by realoldman View Post

What about 3 way splitter?
You want to place the dist amp just before the 3 way splitter to boost the most strong signal before any significant loss occurs through a long cable run or the series of splits. Or you can order a 4 way dist amp in place of the splitter and terminate one of the unused ports. Connect to antenna with about a 3 or 4ft coax cable. Holland makes good splitters, and PCT/Channel Master has a good 4 port dist amp. Also Motorola BDA-S4 is a very good amp but a bit pricier.
post #9773 of 10293
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

You want to place the dist amp just before the 3 way splitter to boost the most strong signal before any significant loss occurs through a long cable run or the series of splits. Or you can order a 4 way dist amp in place of the splitter and terminate one of the unused ports. Connect to antenna with about a 3 or 4ft coax cable. Holland makes good splitters, and PCT/Channel Master has a good 4 port dist amp. Also Motorola BDA-S4 is a very good amp but a bit pricier.

Can you post link for a 4 way dist amp.
Thanks
post #9774 of 10293
Channel Master 3414 and Motorola BDA-S4 are available on Amazon. The Motorola is around $51 with free shipping. The Channel Master runs around $27-$39 depending upon the sale price. Also check Channel Master and PCT Store sites. And Solid Signal.
post #9775 of 10293
By the way, I am getting very good results using a Kitztech 200 preamp and a Holland 3-way splitter with a 1 port power pass. And 2 DC voltage blocks on the unpowered ports. All connected to an original Channel Master 4248 UHF Diamond antenna in the attic. Signal split to 3 TVs. I get all the local GSP stations with this very good UHF antenna, including RF7 and RF13 which are VHF. Plus all the Charlotte signals from Dallas, and WSOC and WCCB after 7pm at night. Used to get the WSOC translator during the day, but now have some sort of interference. But the Kitztech amps claim very low noise and perform very well. Sadly, the original Channel Master antenna designs are no longer manufactured, except for the large 3671 all band antenna, but even it is now made in China. Probably now I would go with the 91XG or perhaps the new Solid Signal version as among the best UHF antennas with the long range yagi design. Other good choices are Winegard 9095, Digitenna XF, and Antennacraft MXU59. But only the Digitenna claims some VHF gain which is needed for 7, 9(29), and 13. But the MXU59 in my sister's attic also gets these VHF stations, as well as the UHFs from GSP and Clt. But good combo antennas are the HBU55 from Antennacraft and the Winegard 7698, or some of their smaller versions.
post #9776 of 10293
Every time I go in Best Buy I am harassed by a DirecTV rep trying to persuade me to drop Charter. He claims that soon Charter will require the purchase of a cable box. When will this happen, and will the analog cable channels be dropped? We have a TiVo box, so I think all I will need is a cable card and a tuning adapter. Is this correct? Currently we only get the local clear qam channels in HD. Will these qam channels still be available?
post #9777 of 10293
It is coming, but a cable card is only $2/month which is $23 less than DirecTV charges for DVR service these days. A cable box will be free the first year then $5/month after that, also cheaper than DirecTV.
post #9778 of 10293
What is a good 32 inch tv that has program guide and good for OTA?
post #9779 of 10293
Samsung UN32F5000 or UN32F5500 which adds Smart TV. Or LG 32LN5700 which is 120hz and has Smart TV. All of these provide program info for OTA TV. The LG 325300 does not have the program info I don't think, and is 720p. All are nice TVs, although the LG 5700 may be an IPS panel with good viewing angle. Or you could consider a slightly larger Samsung 43 inch plasma, for $399. Has program info and nice pic for OTA. PN43F4500.
post #9780 of 10293
According to NewsBlues...

A tipster has informed NB that Kimberly Kelly is leaving WSPA.

Eric
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Greenville, SC - HDTV