or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Honolulu, HI - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Honolulu, HI - HDTV - Page 175

post #5221 of 5427
I have the same setup with Tivo and cablecards. To lower costs, I tried removing the Digital Variety Pak and HD Entertainment Pak and only keep standard digital. According to the OTW channel guide, standard digital should still give me some HD channels. Not so. I lost all HD channels when removing those services, so I had to add back the HD Entertainment Pak to restore my HD channels. I haven't gotten around yet to writing a complaint that their channel guide is misleading.
post #5222 of 5427
Quote:
Originally Posted by bueller555 View Post

I have the same setup with Tivo and cablecards. To lower costs, I tried removing the Digital Variety Pak and HD Entertainment Pak and only keep standard digital. According to the OTW channel guide, standard digital should still give me some HD channels. Not so. I lost all HD channels when removing those services, so I had to add back the HD Entertainment Pak to restore my HD channels. I haven't gotten around yet to writing a complaint that their channel guide is misleading.

Did you lose local digital programming? Then don't bother writing to OTW, they know what they are doing. Write to the FCC because they are breaking the law. OTW assumes people don't know they are entitled to the local broadcasters' signal without degradation. Period.
post #5223 of 5427
I lost everything that was switched digital. Network channels from 1003 to 1010 were fine. All other HD channels, even though they are listed as part of the standard digital package, were lost until I restored one of the add-on services.
post #5224 of 5427
Quote:
Originally Posted by bueller555 View Post

I lost everything that was switched digital. Network channels from 1003 to 1010 were fine. All other HD channels, even though they are listed as part of the standard digital package, were lost until I restored one of the add-on services.

Sadly, that's their game then. Did misleading you shake more money from your pocket? It appears so, which is a "win" in American Business Practices of the 20th & 21st Centuries. Just ask the Supreme Court if you have any questions.
post #5225 of 5427
Quote:


Thanks guys for your quick and informative responses. I just check the setup and it has already been set to filter out the sd and only show hd programing. i just tuned to ellen on KITV and its sd so I guess my signal strength is no up high enough. I think i'll fiddle around some more. Thanks again.

I don't believe there are SD/HD duplicates for the local channels.

Check KHON and KITV during prime time programming, you should see some shows in HD.
post #5226 of 5427
Quote:
Originally Posted by swyman18 View Post

I don't believe there are SD/HD duplicates for the local channels.

Check KHON and KITV during prime time programming, you should see some shows in HD.

All of the locals (with the exception of independents like KIKU, KBFD, KWHE, KALO, and KWBN) are broadcasting in HD. Because Oceanic must provide these streams to their "analog customers", they ALSO send a digital SD version of every HD program, so their boxes don't have to be smart enough to perform the down conversion itself. OTW multiplexes them all onto one channel, I believe it is currently 118.

Check titantv.com for a program guide that indicates HD programming, though from a quick check, it is incomplete. For example, all the network national news programming is HD, as is all the "Hawaii News Now" programming. Sadly, the CW is only on OTW and only SD - it is HD in most mainland markets but not here. Maybe in 10 to 20 years.
post #5227 of 5427
Does anyone know what happened to KHON and CW? I am using a digital tuner and they are no longer on 46-3 and 46-4. OTW's web page doesnt note anything different.
post #5228 of 5427
Taken from the article about KHON new news set by Erika Engle in the Saturday Star Bulletin:

The whole kit and caboodle was designed with HD in mind, but the newscasts won't be in high-definition come 5 p.m. tomorrow.

"That won't happen for another three to six months," McNamara said.

A lot of stations get HD studio and field cameras first, "but we felt that we really have to sharpen up the news set first," to give the forthcoming HD cameras better environs for viewers to see.
post #5229 of 5427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewg@16paws View Post

All of the locals (with the exception of independents like KIKU, KBFD, KWHE, KALO, and KWBN) are broadcasting in HD. Because Oceanic must provide these streams to their "analog customers", they ALSO send a digital SD version of every HD program, so their boxes don't have to be smart enough to perform the down conversion itself. OTW multiplexes them all onto one channel, I believe it is currently 118.

Check titantv.com for a program guide that indicates HD programming, though from a quick check, it is incomplete. For example, all the network national news programming is HD, as is all the "Hawaii News Now" programming. Sadly, the CW is only on OTW and only SD - it is HD in most mainland markets but not here. Maybe in 10 to 20 years.

Right, my response was to Lito96744 who was asking about DirecTV. They do not have an SD version of the locals (except KHNL and KFVE, which are not in HD).
post #5230 of 5427
Maybe it was all in the hardware, but after they finally "upgraded" the cable lines in our development, having to drill through the walls of the townhouses to do it of course, I rescanned for all the channels and KHON and KGMB came up! A new question, I am planning on getting a TiVo HD because our current TiVo may be on its last legs and they have a promo going on for TiVo and Best Buy I have a question regarding trying to record programs on High Def on the TiVo.

I know that there is something like a Cable Card to install in the TiVo, but it seems to be only if you have Digital Cable, and all I have is analog. Does the programming in the TiVo HD detect the "Free" HD channels in its programming lineup and allow me to record those channels? If not, will the Cable Card help me at all?
post #5231 of 5427
The Tivo HD basically replaces the Digital Cable box from Oceanic, so in theory Oceanic's HD channels that are part of "Standard" cable service are "available"...but it comes with a couple of gotchas.

With the exception of the local channels all of Oceanic HD channels are sent via SDV which means you need a CableCARD plus tuning adapter to receive them.
You can get the local channels in HD with a TivoHD without a CableCARD but will not have any program guide with the channels, adding solely a CableCARD will give you the guide for the locals in HD but not the other HD channels. You may want to give a tech at Oceanic a call about the cost and options that using a CableCARD and tuning adapter will give you.
post #5232 of 5427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles O View Post

The Tivo HD basically replaces the Digital Cable box from Oceanic, so in theory Oceanic's HD channels that are part of "Standard" cable service are "available"...but it comes with a couple of gotchas.

With the exception of the local channels all of Oceanic HD channels are sent via SDV which means you need a CableCARD plus tuning adapter to receive them.
You can get the local channels in HD with a TivoHD without a CableCARD but will not have any program guide with the channels, adding solely a CableCARD will give you the guide for the locals in HD but not the other HD channels. You may want to give a tech at Oceanic a call about the cost and options that using a CableCARD and tuning adapter will give you.

Thank you for the help. So if I read what you are writing correctly, my TiVo can broadcast the HD channels, but without a "guide" I will not be able to set it up to record the HD channels?
post #5233 of 5427
KGMB is broadcasting on Maui at 13-2. Just in time for the Super Bowl
post #5234 of 5427
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikai007 View Post

Thank you for the help. So if I read what you are writing correctly, my TiVo can broadcast the HD channels, but without a "guide" I will not be able to set it up to record the HD channels?

I believe you can do a manual recording (define the channel, day, and time) like an old school VCR to record without the guide info. But that negates all of the beauty of a DVR, and of Tivo in particular.
post #5235 of 5427
From the Oceanic website:

On February 1, 2010 we will add the following channels to our lineup:

* Military History to DVP
* NBA TV HD to HDE
* Starz Kids and Family HD
* Starz EdgeHD and Starz Comedy to STARZ Premium
* GameHD (MLBXI)
* GameHD2 (MLBXI) and TeamHD (NBALP to HD PPV)


On February 10 we will add NHK World to DVP and NHK World HD to HDE.

Within 30-60 days we will add:

* MTV
* Comedy Central
* Spike TV
* Nickelodeon
* VH1
* CMT
* AMC
* WE to CPSTHD
* BET and IFC to DVPHD
* More Max HD
* Action Max HD and Thriller Max HD to Cinemax Premium Svc.
* TMC Xtra HD to TMC Premium Svc.
post #5236 of 5427
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakpak View Post

I believe you can do a manual recording (define the channel, day, and time) like an old school VCR to record without the guide info. But that negates all of the beauty of a DVR, and of Tivo in particular.

Yah...so no more season pass. Although, in all honesty, my TiVo HD can only record 20 hours of HDTV, so maybe just going best quality at SD would be best because between my wife and I, we really no longer watch live TV, just record everything to watch later.
post #5237 of 5427
I've been watching the new NHK World HD channel and think it's great. Does anyone know if this is a pay channel and they are just giving us a preview? Seems like a pay channel since there are no commercials (i understand NHK is like the PBS of Japan so they don't run much commercials anyway) and the channel is clumped in with the pay channels. And for some reason it's labeled NGN4 in the guide, and the other NGN channels are pay.
post #5238 of 5427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles O View Post

I have bad news for you, first all of the stations no longer transmit on Haleakala..the state and feds forced them off as part of the DTV switchover. The stations on Maui now transmits from a mountain ridge in Upcountry Maui and severely reduced reception on the Kohala Coast of the Big Island...so much that you will likely need an outdoor aerial antenna to receive the signals. Second and probably more importantly, KGMB the local CBS station switched frequencies with the MyNetwork station KFVE. The effect of this is that CBS on Maui is a analog low power repeater...there are reports that CBS may be available as a sub-channel on either the MyNet station or KHNL the NBC station by the time of the SuperBowl but I wouldn't expect it to be in HD.

There are always sportsbars in Kona to watch a game at.

Well, at the last minute, I picked up a handheld 7" television, and was pleasantly surprised with my results. I received all the broadcast networks except for Fox. CBS was on 13-2, apparently in HD. Channel 27 (the CBS repeater) was fuzzy but viewable if I insisted. (But why bother with the digital widescreen picture.)

I think next year's SuperBowl is on Fox, so if I try this again, I may need more research and either a better antenna or an amplifier on the antenna.
post #5239 of 5427
Good to hear that the signals can be picked up on the Kohala Coast better than expected from the Maui transmitters. The FOX station on Maui is on VHF Ch.7 and even people on Maui itself have had issues with reception....part of an ongoing problem with VHF DT stations nationwide.
post #5240 of 5427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles O View Post

Good to hear that the signals can be picked up on the Kohala Coast better than expected from the Maui transmitters. The FOX station on Maui is on VHF Ch.7 and even people on Maui itself have had issues with reception....part of an ongoing problem with VHF DT stations nationwide.

I thought it was on 7, and the channel scan stopped for a long time at 7 so I think it detected a bit of SOMETHING, but nothing to lock onto.
post #5241 of 5427
New HD channels added today:

Spike, Comedy Central, IFC + some others.
post #5242 of 5427
Errrr, first 30 minutes of the Academy Awards on the HD channel had no picture, then no picture or sound. Good going KITV!
post #5243 of 5427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindakoy View Post

Errrr, first 30 minutes of the Academy Awards on the HD channel had no picture, then no picture or sound. Good going KITV!

Sad indeed!
post #5244 of 5427
Quote:
Originally Posted by likerice View Post

Does anyone know what happened to KHON and CW? I am using a digital tuner and they are no longer on 46-3 and 46-4. OTW's web page doesnt note anything different.


I tried tuning in the HD channels directly for the first time in several months, using the channel numbers provided by the link, but none of them worked. Anyone out there able to tune in the HD stations?
post #5245 of 5427
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCEO View Post

I've been watching the new NHK World HD channel and think it's great. Does anyone know if this is a pay channel and they are just giving us a preview? Seems like a pay channel since there are no commercials (i understand NHK is like the PBS of Japan so they don't run much commercials anyway) and the channel is clumped in with the pay channels. And for some reason it's labeled NGN4 in the guide, and the other NGN channels are pay.

Oceanic apparently bundles NGN3 and NGN4 for $9.95 per month.

*** PBS Hawaii and NHK News ***

If you like the programming, check out the announcement on the PBS Hawaii website:

http://www.pbshawaii.org/ourproductions/nhk.htm

"Beginning APRIL 5TH, NHK World TV will be seen on PBS Hawaii Monday-Friday from 1-3 PM. That 2 hour block is a live satellite feed. And at 5 PM Monday - Friday we'll bring you a variety of culture and lifestyle programming from NHK World TV."

"If you have an antenna and watch PBS Hawaii's over-the-air broadcasting signal, tune in our sub-channel 11.2 from 6 PM to midnight daily for a special live 6 hour lineup from NHK World TV."

For more information on NHK visit www.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/
post #5246 of 5427
fs+ is in hd. oceanic twc doesn'f have fsc in hd, however. go figure. the day is early though and no april fool's joke.
post #5247 of 5427
Hi,
I had DirecTV with HD Service until February 2009 and I'm thinking about going back.

I have 4 questions-

Are KHNL and KFVE still the only 2 local channels not in HD?

Basically will Hawaii News Now still be in HD for me on the KGMB Channel or has that been moved to standard definition?

Is the USA Network now running on tape delay on DirecTV here too? Meaning is WWE RAW on at 3PM here on Monday Afternoons? On Oceanic WWE RAW is now at 9PM locally when it used to start at 3PM.

Also were there any more HD channels added since February 2009? I know that Versus was taken off.

Any info would be great.

Thanks
post #5248 of 5427
Still no HD for KHNL and KFVE, unfortunately.

Last time I checked, Hawaii News Now is in HD on KGMB.

A lot of the DirecTV national channels (like USA) are the east coast feed, so that's why the 6 hour difference. No tape delays that I know of, but I could be wrong.

A bunch of new HD channels are starting next month. Check out the directv.com website for the list.
post #5249 of 5427
Quote:
Originally Posted by swyman18 View Post

Still no HD for KHNL and KFVE, unfortunately.

Last time I checked, Hawaii News Now is in HD on KGMB.

A lot of the DirecTV national channels (like USA) are the east coast feed, so that's why the 6 hour difference. No tape delays that I know of, but I could be wrong.

A bunch of new HD channels are starting next month. Check out the directv.com website for the list.

Thanks,
Yeah I read that there will be 30 more HD channels added next month. Since ESPNU and Travel Channel are 2 of those channels I won't really lose any major HD channels other then KHNL and KFVE.
Maybe OC-16 can count too even though it isn't HD. For me though KFVE is not even worth having. With the exception of UH Sports it's just old reruns and HD News once WWE SmackDown moves to Syfy in October.

On a side note that Dish Network "Most HD" ad might have bit them in the butt since that turned out to be a lie and it probably upset DirecTV so it made them want to bring out 30 more HD channels.
post #5250 of 5427
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakpak View Post

I tried tuning in the HD channels directly for the first time in several months, using the channel numbers provided by the link, but none of them worked. Anyone out there able to tune in the HD stations?

Never mind, user error. I am now able to view the free HD stations directly from my TV tuner again.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Honolulu, HI - HDTV