or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Long Island, NY - OTA
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Long Island, NY - OTA - Page 17

post #481 of 502
You could also try the Connecticut channels. I'm in Centereach and though I haven't tried in a while, I was able to get a bunch of the digital channels with a small amplified indoor antenna before the analog shut down.
post #482 of 502
Thank you, Mike and Stoney...

I see... sure enough, tvfool lists some stations as having a yellow highlighting to it, indicating a need for VHF. Is there a HI-VHF-UHF antenna you might recommend then? I take it the pre-amp would only be used to get a steadier digital picture?

Right now, I had tried using the:
Channel Master 4220MHD 2-Bay HDTV
HDA-5700, Indoor/Outdoor from Monoprice (came with small, powered signal amplifier that screwed into the RG6)

Tried both indoors and up on the rooftop (single story, no tall buildings but some tall trees). Both yielded the "green" results from tvfool (the 2-3 aforementioned channels) but nothing more.
post #483 of 502
Would something like this help?:
Channel Master CM-2020 Television Antenna
(Seems to be UHF and high VHF and 60 directional miles outside).

Some of the Wineguard models seem to be the next bump up. Not sure which way to go.
post #484 of 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammond eggar View Post

I've recently moved to Selden and am trying to get some television going! With smaller antennas (and even the monoprice one), I am only getting the three closest channels (spanish, and tv55), as warned by antennaweb.org. I've tried indoor, attic, and rooftop mounting and the Panasonic 42" HDTV's antenna tuner is not picking up any readings.

tvfool.com offered more optimistic results, and I feel as though I can get the right equipment and procure a few more stations. I am thinking of getting a CM 7777 Pre Amp and seeing if that alone helps. If not, I'm going to have to go with one of those antennas I keep reading about: Either the CM 4228HD or the 91XG. In either case, I gotta get something going for about 50 miles to get the standard networks based in Manhattan!

Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom before I continue to buy equipment that doesn't work for me? Many thanks.

I live in Centereach near the Selden boarder, south of Middle country road. I can pick up the CT stations more easily the the NY ones.
post #485 of 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammond eggar View Post

Thank you, Mike and Stoney...

I see... sure enough, tvfool lists some stations as having a yellow highlighting to it, indicating a need for VHF. Is there a HI-VHF-UHF antenna you might recommend then? I take it the pre-amp would only be used to get a steadier digital picture?

Right now, I had tried using the:
Channel Master 4220MHD 2-Bay HDTV
HDA-5700, Indoor/Outdoor from Monoprice (came with small, powered signal amplifier that screwed into the RG6)

Tried both indoors and up on the rooftop (single story, no tall buildings but some tall trees). Both yielded the "green" results from tvfool (the 2-3 aforementioned channels) but nothing more.


At 50 miles out, you are probably going to have to ante up and get something better than what you described above, and also put it outside. The CM-2020 would be a good choice. That looks equivelant to my Radio Shack VU-75XR that I have now, which performs pretty good.
You could also go to Radio Shack and get one of their own models ( they are called Antenna Craft) and try them out. If it does not work, you could always return it.

Also, double check if your lead from the antenna is RG6, and no splitters are connected.
post #486 of 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammond eggar View Post

Thank you, Mike and Stoney...

I see... sure enough, tvfool lists some stations as having a yellow highlighting to it, indicating a need for VHF. Is there a HI-VHF-UHF antenna you might recommend then? I take it the pre-amp would only be used to get a steadier digital picture?

Right now, I had tried using the:
Channel Master 4220MHD 2-Bay HDTV
HDA-5700, Indoor/Outdoor from Monoprice (came with small, powered signal amplifier that screwed into the RG6)

Tried both indoors and up on the rooftop (single story, no tall buildings but some tall trees). Both yielded the "green" results from tvfool (the 2-3 aforementioned channels) but nothing more.

How did you make out with your antenna project?

Which antenna did you go with?
post #487 of 502
Finally I can check out some other TV Stations !
post #488 of 502
[
QUOTE=Keith;20496432]Finally I can check out some other TV Stations ![/quote]


What do you expect to see? The Indy 500 from Indianapolis?
post #489 of 502
Quote:


What do you expect to see? The Indy 500 from Indianapolis?

I hope more then that.. Locking OTA DTV Signals is fun !
post #490 of 502
Hey guys,

I'm exloring OTA and would like to know what everyone's experience is today. I would like to get local channnels in HD as well as CNN, HGTV and the Food Network if possible. What options are available? Im in the Hauppauge area by the LIE.
Thanks
post #491 of 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome8283 View Post

Hey guys,

I'm exloring OTA and would like to know what everyone's experience is today. I would like to get local channnels in HD as well as CNN, HGTV and the Food Network if possible. What options are available? Im in the Hauppauge area by the LIE.
Thanks

You will not get those channels OTA. Those are only on cable or dish.

You can get only the major networks (CBS,NBC,FOX,etc) OTA.

For one thing, you are probably going to need an outside antenna on the roof. An attic antenna is not going to cut it at that distance away from the Empire State Bldg.
post #492 of 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier View Post

You will not get those channels OTA. Those are only on cable or dish.

You can get only the major networks (CBS,NBC,FOX,etc) OTA.

For one thing, you are probably going to need an outside antenna on the roof. An attic antenna is not going to cut it at that distance away from the Empire State Bldg.

Can I get the major networks (CBS,NBC,FOX,etc) OTA, in HD?
post #493 of 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome8283 View Post

Can I get the major networks (CBS,NBC,FOX,etc) OTA, in HD?

Correction: Are they available in HD? I realize me getting them in HD is questionable.
post #494 of 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome8283 View Post

Correction: Are they available in HD? I realize me getting them in HD is questionable.

Yes, you can get them in HD
post #495 of 502
Does anyone know if this translator CH. 22 WCBS 2-1 ever was turned on ?
According to several databases, it has, but I cant see it on my analyzer at all. I think it was supposed to be located on Channel 21 WLIW's tower and I can get WLIW very good.
I lost WCBS channel 2 from NY after the switch because of co channel from WFSB in Hartford and was hoping that this would resolve my problem.
Thanks in advance for any help.
post #496 of 502
Hello. I have a house in Hampton Bays. I don't want to go for the cost of cable but recognize that OTA is difficult when you are low, 18 ft above sea level, and on the South Shore (Tiana Bay) of Long Island.

(Yes. I made a similar inquiry pre-HD on this forum.)

Inquiries to the local Radio Shack resulted in advice to "buy cable"...and to give up on any idea of OTA. I know of no one in my area who is attempting OTA.

What are my options... do I have any options?

I'd like to believe that HD from CT would be a go and could be accomplished with a simple set (small antenna) up. But I don't want to pursue it if it is indeed hopeless.

I tried a small RS digital antenna at ground level and got nothing.

I don't have to have the NYC stations...I just want a reliable something...although local traffic would be nice.

Your advice greatly appreciated.

Jerry in 11946
post #497 of 502
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry11946 View Post

Hello. I have a house in Hampton Bays. I don't want to go for the cost of cable but recognize that OTA is difficult when you are low, 18 ft above sea level, and on the South Shore (Tiana Bay) of Long Island.

(Yes. I made a similar inquiry pre-HD on this forum.)

Inquiries to the local Radio Shack resulted in advice to "buy cable"...and to give up on any idea of OTA. I know of no one in my area who is attempting OTA.

What are my options... do I have any options?

I'd like to believe that HD from CT would be a go and could be accomplished with a simple set (small antenna) up. But I don't want to pursue it if it is indeed hopeless.

I tried a small RS digital antenna at ground level and got nothing.

I don't have to have the NYC stations...I just want a reliable something...although local traffic would be nice.

Your advice greatly appreciated.

Jerry in 11946

i would guess with a decent aerial you should be able to easily pull in CT programming.
post #498 of 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry11946 View Post

What are my options... do I have any options?

Your location, presumably near the vicinity of Springville Road, does present its share of challenges although New Haven and Hartford might be doable.

I'd suggest getting the large HBU-55 (high band VHF and UHF) combo antenna at Radio Shack and then mounting it as high as possible and then aim it at 346-degrees true north at the Hartford antenna farm. WTNH from New Haven ought to be captured since that antenna's beamwidth is wide enough.

The benefit of obtaining the HBU-55 at your nearest Radio Shack is the ease of returning should it not work out, given that OTA is a roll of the dice at your location. By the way, here's a plot from TV Fool of what I was able to make an educated guess from your Tiana Bay site:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...0b86dc1b5df51d

Also be sure to obtain high quality RG-6 coax (preferably quad shield) for the cable run from the antenna to your television. A preamp should be added only as a last resort.
post #499 of 502
I just purchased a ClearStream2 Outdoor Long-Range Digital TV (DTV) Antenna, put it on the roof facing Southwest (roughly 242 degrees heading) which I was told would get the major network channels coming in from Manhattan. I only got 5.1, 21.1, 47.1, and 68.1. Anyone have any insight or pointers to help me out?
post #500 of 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingtonCC View Post

I just purchased a ClearStream2 Outdoor Long-Range Digital TV (DTV) Antenna, put it on the roof facing Southwest (roughly 242 degrees heading) which I was told would get the major network channels coming in from Manhattan. I only got 5.1, 21.1, 47.1, and 68.1. Anyone have any insight or pointers to help me out?

Add a preamp
post #501 of 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingtonCC View Post

I just purchased a ClearStream2 Outdoor Long-Range Digital TV (DTV) Antenna, put it on the roof facing Southwest (roughly 242 degrees heading) which I was told would get the major network channels coming in from Manhattan. I only got 5.1, 21.1, 47.1, and 68.1. Anyone have any insight or pointers to help me out?

Need a little more info. Can you post your tvfool results?

First off, there are 2 versions of the Clearstream. The UHF, and the UHF/VHF combo which is called "Clearstream 2 Complete". If you got just the Clearstream 2 UHF, you will have problems getting 7,11 and 13 since those are VHF channels.
I prefer the conventional VHF/UHF antenna like the HBU-22 at Radio Shack.

Do you have a long cable run from the antena to the TV? Any splitters? Is the cable RG6?

As far as pointing it 242 degrees southwest, basically you are trying to aim for the Empire State Bldg. Try tweeking the antenna a bit, sometimes that is the difference between getting a station or not.
post #502 of 502
Due to last nights conditions, I was finally able to picked up

Ch. 50 - WBQM (3-03) CTN
Ch. 41 - W41DO (60-1) HSN
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Long Island, NY - OTA