or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Austin, TX - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Austin, TX - HDTV - Page 219

post #6541 of 6866
Okay.. this is really off topic and not audio related, but I do linger around these threads and have done a few DIY project.

If anyone with thoughts can PM me, I'd appreciate it. I'm moving to the Austin area and wanted to get an idea of good areas. We're currently leaning towards Georgetown. We like quiet, privacy and trees with around 1 acre plus.

Again.. apologies, but real estate agents haven't been very informative and people in this thread live in the area.
post #6542 of 6866
Anyone else feel like throwing up when watching KLRU, 18.1, now that they've crammed yet another subchannel into their alotted spectrum? PBS has never been known for its HDTV quality, but now it's a real blobby smeary mess. And just what Austin needed, yet another OTA Spanish channel. Actually, I might watch a telenovela or two if they included english captions. Like that would happen.
post #6543 of 6866
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakerx View Post

Actually, I might watch a telenovela or two if they included english captions. Like that would happen.

Telemundo 42.2 has english captions on CC3 on its primetime shows...
post #6544 of 6866
Quote:
Originally Posted by moghedien14 View Post

Telemundo 42.2 has english captions on CC3 on its primetime shows...

PBS-4 is trying to be a high end Spanish similar to what LAT TV tried to do several years ago. They failed at it because there was no cable pickup of the station. I think broadcasters think Hispanics are primary users of OTA even though the numbers, and my personal experience, show differently.

"Today, the vast majority of Hispanic households 85% have cable or satellite. "
-Cabletelevision Advertising Bureau (CAB)
post #6545 of 6866
Has TWC launched Lifetime HD and ESPN Deportes HD in Austin yet? TWC dallas added them this morning shortly after midnight.
post #6546 of 6866
I added an antenna in the attic (didn't want to go through the added process of a roof mount) to try and pull in 51.1 KBVO, but only one of my TV's can actually resolve the signal. It must be the difference in the tuners. According to TVfool I'm 11.3 miles from the tower and I have almost perfect line-of-sight (except for my next door neighbor's house), so why isn't this coming in better? Are there any plans for someone to boost the power of that station?
post #6547 of 6866
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakerx View Post

I added an antenna in the attic (didn't want to go through the added process of a roof mount) to try and pull in 51.1 KBVO, but only one of my TV's can actually resolve the signal. It must be the difference in the tuners. According to TVfool I'm 11.3 miles from the tower and I have almost perfect line-of-sight (except for my next door neighbor's house), so why isn't this coming in better? Are there any plans for someone to boost the power of that station?

I'm 20 miles and don't even get a hint of 51.1 tuning in (also attic antenna). I can get Waco / Austin just fine, but no KBVO. Their signal is too weak. The engineer said they were applying for a permit to upgrade the power and that it would be done by April 2010...yeah a year plus later and nothing.
post #6548 of 6866
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin120 View Post

Has TWC launched Lifetime HD and ESPN Deportes HD in Austin yet? TWC dallas added them this morning shortly after midnight.

They haven't given us BBCA HD yet.
post #6549 of 6866
Hey Folks,

I just moved to Round Rock from Houston and was wondering if I will get to watch the Houston Texans on the local CBS affiliate here?

Here's the regular season schedule: http://www.nfl.com/teams/schedule?te...seasonType=REG

I've been trying to watch some of the preseason games on NFL Network using U-verse, but they have been blacked out. I am not trying to understand any black-out rules (as I don't think anybody ever will), but I'd like to watch the Texans games if possible (without having to subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket on DirecTV, an Android tablet or a Playstation 3.

I could watch them for free in Houston on the local CBS affiliate. Will I be able to do the same here in the Austin market?

Thanks!
post #6550 of 6866
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post

Hey Folks,

I just moved to Round Rock from Houston and was wondering if I will get to watch the Houston Texans on the local CBS affiliate here?

Here's the regular season schedule: http://www.nfl.com/teams/schedule?te...seasonType=REG

I've been trying to watch some of the preseason games on NFL Network using U-verse, but they have been blacked out. I am not trying to understand any black-out rules (as I don't think anybody ever will), but I'd like to watch the Texans games if possible (without having to subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket on DirecTV, an Android tablet or a Playstation 3.

I could watch them for free in Houston on the local CBS affiliate. Will I be able to do the same here in the Austin market?

Thanks!

IIRC last nights preseason game was shown on KBVO (ch 51) or KNVA (ch 54), when a local channel has the game that NFL network has it's blacked out on NFL network.
post #6551 of 6866
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad View Post

IIRC last nights preseason game was shown on KBVO (ch 51) or KNVA (ch 54), when a local channel has the game that NFL network has it's blacked out on NFL network.

Thanks!

So pre-season games aren't on CBS right? MyAustinTV and the CW are definitely not CBS, so I still wonder if KEYE has regular season Texans games.
post #6552 of 6866
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post

Thanks!

So pre-season games aren't on CBS right? MyAustinTV and the CW are definitely not CBS, so I still wonder if KEYE has regular season Texans games.

From what I've seen KEYE will have the regular season games on CBS, just not the preseason for Houston and KTBC will carry the Dallas games on FOX. Preseason games aren't covered by the national TV contracts. When I lived in Chicago the Bears preseason games were carried on the local NBC station.
post #6553 of 6866
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post

Thanks!

So pre-season games aren't on CBS right? MyAustinTV and the CW are definitely not CBS, so I still wonder if KEYE has regular season Texans games.

KEYE will normally have the Texans game. If a Dallas game is on CBS and the Texans are on CBS at the same time, the Cowboys will take precedence. If the Texans are having a really bad season, it is not unusual to see the Texans game go away in favor of a game with a former longhorn (I.e. Vince Young, Colt McCoy, etc). If you are in Round Rock, you might want to put up an antenna and see if you can get 10.1 out of Waco. They will always carry the Texans game when the loverboys at KEYE put on their former Longhorn players.

It is kind of nice on these weekends as I get 3 games to choose from at once and don't pay a penny to any TV service provider.
post #6554 of 6866
Excellent. Thanks for the info.
post #6555 of 6866
Why wasn't the Cowboys game shown in Austin this past weekend? I watched it delayed on 42.2, in Spanish, and in stretched out standard def. I saw that KWKT in Waco had it, but I didn't want to go up into the attic to rotate the antenna. Maybe I just missed it somehow?
post #6556 of 6866
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakerx View Post

Why wasn't the Cowboys game shown in Austin this past weekend? I watched it delayed on 42.2, in Spanish, and in stretched out standard def. I saw that KWKT in Waco had it, but I didn't want to go up into the attic to rotate the antenna. Maybe I just missed it somehow?

I watched it on KEYE (42.1) on Saturday at 7PM after the hour long pre-game show at 6PM. It was HD...granted I only watched the first half. It was the Cowboys network broadcast. KWKT is the only Waco channel I can't pick up without rotating my attic antenna, too.
post #6557 of 6866
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakerx View Post

Why wasn't the Cowboys game shown in Austin this past weekend? I watched it delayed on 42.2, in Spanish, and in stretched out standard def. I saw that KWKT in Waco had it, but I didn't want to go up into the attic to rotate the antenna. Maybe I just missed it somehow?

Cowboys-Vikings was on 42-1 last weekend, but for some reason it was listed as Lions-Patriots in my Directv guide. Maybe your guide just had the wrong information...
post #6558 of 6866
Does anybody know the current status of clear QAM (of the locals) on TWC in Austin?
post #6559 of 6866
re: the Texans, the final preseason game (Thursday, 9/1, against Minnesota) will air on KNVA 54 (The CW).

Sivartk is right on point - KEYE has been picking up many more of the Texans games than they used to. An invaluable resource is http://www.the506.com/nflmaps/ - he posts broadcast maps for every game. You do have to wait until game week for the update, though.

To the earlier poster, ESPN Deportes HD is on 1694 on Time Warner. I pay for the Sports Pak - I don't know if it's available with the standard HD tier.
post #6560 of 6866
Quote:
Originally Posted by moghedien14 View Post


Cowboys-Vikings was on 42-1 last weekend, but for some reason it was listed as Lions-Patriots in my Directv guide. Maybe your guide just had the wrong information...

That's exactly it. I didn't even check the game to make sure what the guide said was correct.
post #6561 of 6866
Anyone having Dish probs? I'm getting complete signal loss alternating with partial signal loss.

Phoneline busy

I'm in NE Austin Parmer/ Dessau area

Friend north of me in P'ville nr RR also out.

Friend in NE TEXAS also out!

Finally got thru to Dish - Sat 129 out!
post #6562 of 6866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshana View Post

Anyone having Dish probs? I'm getting complete signal loss alternating with partial signal loss.

Phoneline busy

I'm in NE Austin Parmer/ Dessau area

Friend north of me in P'ville nr RR also out.

Friend in NE TEXAS also out!

Finally got thru to Dish - Sat 129 out!

It's national--like you said. Satellite 129 is out for the entire country.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-net...gnal-loss.html
post #6563 of 6866
Was anyone else having problems with VHF stations this morning? Mine (7.1, 10.1, 10.2) where coming in fine at about 6:45, but by 7:15 they were no longer tuning in. All the UHF stations (including Waco) were tuning in fine.

Didn't have a chance to try a different tuner as I had to go to work.
post #6564 of 6866
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

Was anyone else having problems with VHF stations this morning? Mine (7.1, 10.1, 10.2) where coming in fine at about 6:45, but by 7:15 they were no longer tuning in. All the UHF stations (including Waco) were tuning in fine.

Didn't have a chance to try a different tuner as I had to go to work.

Sunspots. Literally.
post #6565 of 6866
Has anyone heard anything about KBVO putting another battery in their transmitter so it go farther then across the street? Heck, I can get the UT student station (K29HW) which has more power then a network affiliate. I've tried sending e-mails to the station but never hear anything back.
post #6566 of 6866
Nothing at all, I'm afraid. Apparently LIN is depending on Time Warner/DirecTV/Dish to get the signal to Austin.
post #6567 of 6866
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsho View Post

Nothing at all, I'm afraid. Apparently LIN is depending on Time Warner/DirecTV/Dish to get the signal to Austin.

Too bad, I'm a DIRECTV customer and all we get is the SD feed. Dish has the HD feed but then they don't have KLRU-DT in HD, can't win for losing.
post #6568 of 6866
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad View Post

Too bad, I'm a DIRECTV customer and all we get is the SD feed. Dish has the HD feed but then they don't have KLRU-DT in HD, can't win for losing.

I'm an over the air customer and I don't get SD or HD feed of KBVO. 17 miles from the towers.
post #6569 of 6866
Listen, it's hard to get KBVO if you're 17 feet from the towers! No kidding, don't feel like you're alone. It runs a total of 75 watts. In comparison, KXAN runs five million.
post #6570 of 6866
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsho View Post

Listen, it's hard to get KBVO if you're 17 feet from the towers! No kidding, don't feel like you're alone. It runs a total of 75 watts. In comparison, KXAN runs five million.

75W? Wow, I have an outdoor light more powerful than that
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Austin, TX - HDTV