or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Duluth, MN - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Duluth, MN - HDTV - Page 7

post #181 of 203
I know this may be more of a hardware question but it's also region specific (and I just stumbled onto this thread so I'm giving it a shot lol).

I'm up in Grand Rapids - actually ~7 miles south - and am attempting to get OTA channels for the first time in an attempt to get Sunday football games in HD . I've got a D* HR20 which is their HD receiver with an OTA tuner builtin and did some searching. Both antennaweb and TV Fool say channel 29 (which antennaweb lists as a Fox channel - not sure if they'd carry the Vikings game or not and if so whether it'd be in HD?) has the best chance of coming in as there's a tower only 16 miles from me.

So this weekend I started messing around building one of the antennas I read about in this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=798265, specifically the 9 x 8.5" whiskers one from this link: http://m4antenna.eastmasonvilleweath...0Drawings.html. I hooked it up yesterday evening and ran through the HR20's setup but found that it doesn't even attempt to get channel 29 when I put in zip code 55744. I tried again and entered 55805 (Duluth) as a secondary market which gave me lots of other channels in the list - none of which come in as the antenna's still just propped up outside my house - but still no channel 29! One more time I put in a twin cities zip code and still didn't get 29 on the list?

I was able to get 4 substations of PBS on channel 31 though - a couple even in HD - which was a surprise since like I said the antenna is just propped on the side of the house (oh and I haven't built a reflector for it yet either) but I'm bummed that it's not trying for channel 29.

Any ideas? Am I missing something silly here?
post #182 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon_68 View Post

Any ideas? Am I missing something silly here?

Channel 29 is a translator of KQDS, so it is a Fox station, and it does serve Grand Rapids (the transmitter is actually near Taconite), but it's still in analog, meaning there's no HD picture. This likely won't change anytime soon, as KQDS is not required to convert the station to digital until the end of 2015, and, even then, the requirement is just that the station be in digital, which doesn't necessarily mean HD.

If you live on relatively higher elevation south of Grand Rapids, you may have a shot of getting KQDS's signal from Duluth in HD with a good rooftop antenna mounted 30 feet or more above ground. That's really your only hope of getting Fox in HD with any sort of antenna, and you would still need to have quite a lot of luck for it to work.
post #183 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by agus0103 View Post

Channel 29 is a translator of KQDS, so it is a Fox station, and it does serve Grand Rapids (the transmitter is actually near Taconite), but it's still in analog, meaning there's no HD picture. This likely won't change anytime soon, as KQDS is not required to convert the station to digital until the end of 2015, and, even then, the requirement is just that the station be in digital, which doesn't necessarily mean HD.

If you live on relatively higher elevation south of Grand Rapids, you may have a shot of getting KQDS's signal from Duluth in HD with a good rooftop antenna mounted 30 feet or more above ground. That's really your only hope of getting Fox in HD with any sort of antenna, and you would still need to have quite a lot of luck for it to work.

Thanks for the information! So even if I could get it to come in it wouldn't be HD... I was afraid of that but was hopeful I'll have to play around and see if I have any luck getting Duluth stations with the reflector added and mounted on the roof (which will be ~30 ft up but)
post #184 of 203
Metv replacing RTV on WDIO/WIRT
http://www.wdio.com/article/stories/...html?cat=10335

DULUTH, Minn. – November 7, 2011 – Me-TV (Memorable Entertainment Television), the new digital classic television network from Weigel Broadcasting Co. and distributed by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. (MGM) is coming to the Northland, launching November 28 on Channels 10.2 in Duluth and 13.2 in Hibbing. Me-TV has now surpassed the 60% national clearance mark.
post #185 of 203
Better late than never (courtesy of northpine)

After a two-and-a-half year wait, the FCC has granted WDSE/8 (Duluth) a UHF translator on channel 38. WDSE requested the UHF translator a month after the digital transition in 2009, saying some viewers using indoor antennas reported reception problems after WDSE moved digital broadcasts from UHF to VHF. The new translator will use 15kW and operate on the same UHF channel WDSE had occupied during the DTV transition.
post #186 of 203
Probably had to wait for Canadian approval.

- Trip
post #187 of 203
I dont understand why?
38 is what they used pre-conversion and this is just a fill in 15kw translator. Canada is a good 150 miles up the highway
post #188 of 203
Why? Because the 19 dBu F(50,10) interference contour crosses into Canada.

http://www.rabbitears.info/contour.p...3&site=1&int=Y

Note the green line.

The treaty with Canada gives them the right to approve or disapprove any station whose 19 dBu F(50,10) interference contour crosses over Canadian territory.

- Trip
post #189 of 203
Duluth locals launched on Directv today

KDLH CBS 3
KBJR NBC 6
WDSE PBS 8
WDIO ABC 10
KQDS FOX 21

supposedly that religious station KCWV is launching too (assume in MPEG4 SD) but D* site doesnt reflect that station on there
post #190 of 203
Ladies and Gentlemen. I need your help. My sister lives in Duluth, She is using a old 26 inch tube TV with a charter SD cable box. I'm trying to help her out from Phoenix AZ. I haven't been to Duluth in 20 years, she usually visits me here in January for some reason.... I am buying her a 32 inch HDTV and would like her to actually see HDTV. What does she have for options. She is in a North facing apartment with no satellite view. So it is Charter or over the air. If she takes Charter coax to back of TV any idea what channels she would get in HD. It looks like a Charter HD box is a 5 dollar a month upgrade. Or should I just have her get SD from Charter and get her a cheap OTH antenna. I remember years ago that the antennas where all together at the top of the hill. Last question, are the HD channels all UHF or are some still VHF like they are here in Phoenix? Thanks in advance for any help... Well answered part of my question antenna web shows only 5? HD Channels clustered 2 miles from her address.
Edited by aland12345 - 11/23/12 at 4:31pm
post #191 of 203
My sis lives on Park Point and they can see the antenna towers. Reception for them OTA is easy without much of an antenna. Coat hanger would probably work.
Two of the stations there are VHF as you probably noticed at AntennaWeb.

If the HDTV has a QAM tuner, she might be able to just connect the Charter coax, scan for stations and get the locals that way.
post #192 of 203
Over-the-air digital reception from Park Point with an indoor VHF/UHF antenna should be no problem - she'll get 13 channels, 5 of them in HD. She can also get the same channels by plugging the Charter cable feed directly into her TV. If she needs the box to get premium channels but doesn't want to upgrade to an HD box, she could split the incoming signal, sending one coax cable directly to the TV and the other to the cable box. Then hook the cable box to the TV with the A/V inputs.

This is the (mostly current) list of what you get from Charter in Duluth with a QAM tuner:
4.1 KDLH (CBS HD)
4.2 KDLH-DT2 (CW)
5.1 KBJR (NBC HD)
5.2 KBJR-DT2 (My)
11.1 KQDS (FOX HD)
12.1 WDSE (Second Chance 8.2)
12.2 WDSE (PBS HD 8.1)
12.3 WDSE (Create 8.3)
12.4 WDSE (MN Channel 8.4)
13.1 WDIO (ABC HD)
13.2 WDIO-DT2 (Me-TV)
23.11 EWTN
23.16 ShopNBC
49.6 PPV Previews
72.13 TV Guide Channel
74.11 INSP
76.1 PACT 7
76.2 PACT 14
76.3 PACT 16
76.4 PACT 20
76.5 Superior Public Access 7
76.6 Superior Public Access - calendar announcements
76.7 Superior School District
76.8 Superior Public Access 16
76.9 Duluth School District
76.10 SD Test pattern
76.11 HSN
76.12 QVC
76.13 C-SPAN
77.4 WisconsinEye
78.3 TBS
80.54 EWTN
80.55 Ion (national feed)
80.57 C-SPAN2
80.58 C-SPAN3
80.60 TBN
92.3 TV Guide Channel
98.1 Charter Main Street
98.7 TV Guide Channel without listings
98.10 WGN America
98.12 Paid programming
99.1 KQDS (FOX) 4:3 SD
99.2 WDSE-DT1 (PBS) 4:3 SD
99.4 KDLH (CBS) 4:3 SD
99.6 KBJR (NBC) 4:3 SD
99.7 WDIO (ABC) 4:3 SD
post #193 of 203
Thanks, I'm stupid I didn't even think about a QAM tuner when I bought the TV. I need to check. She isn't out at Park Point she is back the other way on the hill top 2 miles North West. I will need to work with her. I know she was just going to take coax out of the SD Box.eek.gif I think they said the HD box is only 5 dollars more so that would be an option. She says cable system is bad in her apartment building. I think she may need a Electronics intervention. I built her PC for her I can do some fine tuning. I haven't been to Duluth since 1990 and I remember the Northern lights where pretty. I might have to take one of those cheap Allegient air flights from Mesa to Duluth after the holidays when things slow down.. If you guys see a fool in a T-shirt wind breaker and tennis shoes shivering uncontrollably drinking a half frozen bottle of Corona say hello. Thanks again.
post #194 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by aland12345 View Post

Thanks, I'm stupid I didn't even think about a QAM tuner when I bought the TV. I need to check. She isn't out at Park Point she is back the other way on the hill top 2 miles North West. I will need to work with her. I know she was just going to take coax out of the SD Box.eek.gif I think they said the HD box is only 5 dollars more so that would be an option. She says cable system is bad in her apartment building. I think she may need a Electronics intervention. I built her PC for her I can do some fine tuning. I haven't been to Duluth since 1990 and I remember the Northern lights where pretty. I might have to take one of those cheap Allegient air flights from Mesa to Duluth after the holidays when things slow down.. If you guys see a fool in a T-shirt wind breaker and tennis shoes shivering uncontrollably drinking a half frozen bottle of Corona say hello. Thanks again.
Most new HD TVs have a QAM tuner so the one you bought probably does too. The likelyhood that all the channels Jon listed will be there forever is not too probable. Rumors have it that even the locals from cable will be scrambled eventually. For 5 bucks the HD box from the cable company would probably be a good idea. She is already used to using cable so may be an easier out for her.
If you decide to try OTA, I would try a simple rabbit ears antenna to start.

For those of us expats who grew up in Duluth, a wonderful site to check from time to time is http://www.duluthharborcam.com/. I travel back to Duluth a couple times every five years. Once in the summer to visit, class reunion and relatives, and once in a while in the winter to remind me why I like living in warmer climates.

Have a nice trip.................brrrrrrrr:D
post #195 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Ellis View Post

Over-the-air digital reception from Park Point with an indoor VHF/UHF antenna should be no problem - she'll get 13 channels, 5 of them in HD. She can also get the same channels by plugging the Charter cable feed directly into her TV. If she needs the box to get premium channels but doesn't want to upgrade to an HD box, she could split the incoming signal, sending one coax cable directly to the TV and the other to the cable box. Then hook the cable box to the TV with the A/V inputs.
This is the (mostly current) list of what you get from Charter in Duluth with a QAM tuner:
Wow, that is amazing. Here in Santa Rosa, north of San Francisco we get maybe a dozen channels with a QAM tuner using Comcast cable.

Off topic: It just occurred to me that when I lived and worked in Duluth, I worked under Rod Ellis at Burroughs Corp. and you could be a relative of his. I know that he also moved to California and is no longer with us. Sad, he was a wonderful guy.
Edited by Grandude - 11/25/12 at 9:50am
post #196 of 203
Nope, no relation to Rod Ellis or any of the other Ellis' in this area. My version of the Ellis family came from Iowa.
post #197 of 203
Absolutely do NOT leave your Liquid Crystal screen TV up North. Our friends did, came back to a shattered screen.
post #198 of 203
Has anybody noticed the awful PQ on WDSE-DT1? According to my TV, it is supposed to be 720p, but it never seems that way. PBS North would be a lot better if they would do it like they did six or seven years ago - from 6 pm to 12 am, close down their two other digital subchannels and air the raw PBS HD feed in 1080i quality.

Also, KCWV-DT appears to be wasting bandwidth by just transmitting one 480i channel.
post #199 of 203
I know PBS's big programs like Nature, Frontline, etc... sure seem pretty good.
post #200 of 203
When will ThisTV and Antenna TV coming to Duluth?
post #201 of 203
Who and what ?
post #202 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhasbrouck View Post

When will ThisTV and Antenna TV coming to Duluth?

Call your local stations and ask them to add the multi-cast channels. They need a reason to do stuff like that and a sufficient expression of interest (to them) is what it takes.
post #203 of 203
KBJR & KDLH sold to Quincy Corporation.

per northpine
Quincy Newspapers is expanding to another Upper Midwest market with the purchase of NBC affiliate KBJR/6.1 (Superior-Duluth) and satellite KRII/11 (Chisholm) from Granite Broadcasting. KBJR also operates CBS affiliate KDLH/3.1 (Duluth), which will be sold from Malara Broadcasting to SagamoreHill Broadcasting and continue to be operated by KBJR through a shared services agreement. Sale prices were not immediately announced but will likely be revealed when documents are filed with the FCC. The stations also carry MyNetworkTV and CW+ on subchannels. Quincy is also buying Granite stations in Peoria, IL and Binghamton, NY and a Malara station in Fort Wayne, IN; Granite is also in the process of selling its Detroit and Buffalo stations to Scripps and its Fort Wayne station to SagamoreHill, leaving it with stations in San Francisco and Syracuse, NY. Quincy will have operations in 14 TV markets when the deal closes, including Quincy, Cedar Rapids-Waterloo, Sioux City, Rochester (MN), La Crosse-Eau Claire, Wausau, Madison, and Rockford

Only thing I noticed is Quincy loves to associate with CW, MeTV and ThisTV. So you may see ThisTV in Duluth.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Duluth, MN - HDTV