or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Portland, OR - Comcast
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Portland, OR - Comcast - Page 114

post #3391 of 4853
Upgrading to HD for a 50" set is a definite win. Comcast has a HD DVR, too, which makes all kinds of HD available to you.
post #3392 of 4853
Did anyone watch/record any of the fireworks? We recorded the PBS-HD one, the NBC (708) of Macys and Vancouver.

PBS was in HD but the sound was NOT 5.1. NBC was OK, but the popup Logos are almost at a point now that it is not worth watching. It was in 5.1, however. We did not see Vancouver yet.
post #3393 of 4853
Not sure if anyone else experienced this or not, but in SW Portland, the location of the On-Demand movies moved on my QAM tuner.
Originally they were on 94x, 100x, 114x, and 115x.
So far I have found them at 86x and 87x. Unsure if there is more than that.
post #3394 of 4853
I have a question. Sometimes when I turn on my system (TV, receiver -- 3416 is always on) in the morning (or whenever I first start watching for the day) the picture is blank and there's no sound. This only happens if the outputting tuner is set on channel 788 (Mojo), and it doesn't always happen. If it's black and I press the menu button, I can see the menu, but the picture in the corner is black. If I change the channel, everything is fine. If I then change the channel back, Mojo comes in fine.

This isn't the biggest problem in the world, but I'm curious as to why it would happen.
post #3395 of 4853
I used to be able to tune into the local Portland area HD channels with my 32" Panasonic TC-32LX60 HD QAM tuner (like 6-1 for KOIN channel 6 HD or 2-1 for KATU channel 2 HD or 8-1 for KGW channel 8 HD, etc).

Now I only get a "poor signal" or "channel not found" message.

Just curious .... Thanks.
post #3396 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by George-O View Post

I used to be able to tune into the local Portland area HD channels with my 32" Panasonic TC-32LX60 HD QAM tuner (like 6-1 for KOIN channel 6 HD or 2-1 for KATU channel 2 HD or 8-1 for KGW channel 8 HD, etc).

Now I only get a "poor signal" or "channel not found" message.

Just curious .... Thanks.

George - Did they just go away today? The locals came through fine for me last night in HD on 2.1, 6.1, etc. I'll check tonight and let you know.
post #3397 of 4853
I've got all of the locals in HD in their usual spots (2.1, 6.1, 8.1, 10.1, 12.1, 32.1, and 49.1) with my QAM tuner.
post #3398 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaussie View Post

I've got all of the locals in HD in their usual spots (2.1, 6.1, 8.1, 10.1, 12.1, 32.1, and 49.1) with my QAM tuner.

Thanks for checking .... I had to do an auto-program and they all came back.

Also discovered that my Panny model has an updated firmware that has fixed a problem of sometimes losing the auto-programming which apparently is my situation. I downloaded the new firmware and will update it in a couple of days (the back of the set has an SD slot for firmware program updates and the Panny website has instructions for DIY).

Thanks again!
post #3399 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaussie View Post

Not sure if anyone else experienced this or not, but in SW Portland, the location of the On-Demand movies moved on my QAM tuner.
Originally they were on 94x, 100x, 114x, and 115x.
So far I have found them at 86x and 87x. Unsure if there is more than that.

Thanks for posting this. I found additional on-demand content on channels 85.x and 88.x, where x is between 2 and 11, inclusive.
post #3400 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaussie View Post

Not sure if anyone else experienced this or not, but in SW Portland, the location of the On-Demand movies moved on my QAM tuner.
Originally they were on 94x, 100x, 114x, and 115x.
So far I have found them at 86x and 87x. Unsure if there is more than that.

I'm in Vancouver, and my On Demands have disappeared from 94x, 100x, 114x, and 115x as well.

Edit: Confirmed that they have moved to 85, 86x, 87x, and 88x for me the Heights area of Vancouver as well.
post #3401 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmcf View Post

Thanks for posting this. I found additional on-demand content on channels 85.x and 88.x, where x is between 2 and 11, inclusive.

What do we find on these channels? My scan last evening found some listed in this area, but I never tried tuning to them until today and there is nothing there now. Is Comcast bouncing these channels around so you'll need a box to get them? What's on them? I'm a bit confused or green here regarding QAM channels, because I've always been using Comcast's HD-DVR.

Thanks!
post #3402 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by George-O View Post

What do we find on these channels?

Anything that someone in your neighborhood is watching on demand. The times I've poked around them, I've found movies in SD (both widescreen and 4:3) and some old TV shows. I've only seen one movie in HD (Fearless) and it looked great. You'll often have to put up with rewinding and fast forwarding by the person who ordered the feature. I have never seen them bounce around channels but I haven't checked in the past year or so.

The SD features are 720x480 if they're widescreen and look pretty good. The 4:3 features are somewhere between 320x480 and 512x480 depending on the content (old TV shows are low resolution, recent movies are higher). The HD features are true 1920x1080.

I suspect this is how some people get HD movies on their computers. Since unlike HBO and other channels, these aren't scrambled so it's not hard to order a movie, pause it, figure out what channel it's on and start saving it.
post #3403 of 4853
Has anyone heard if Comcast will give us CNBC-HD for the olympics?
post #3404 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo75 View Post

Has anyone heard if Comcast will give us CNBC-HD for the olympics?

I don't know but I hope 708 gets the audio in sync again. It has been bad lately!
post #3405 of 4853
I have an hdhomerun connected to my HTPC and would like to get the unencrypted QAM from comcast(HD locals).

I do not have comcast TV but I do have cable internet from comcast. I have heard people say that the same line for internet can be split and sent to a TV.
Would this work for me? I can I just split that line and send one to my modem and one to my HDhomerun? Could I split it again for using the dual tuners?
post #3406 of 4853
Anyone watch the season 2 opener of Mad Men on AMCHD this week? I noticed a lot of jumpiness (i.e. missing frames). Is this what we can expect from the lower-bandwidth HD channels?
post #3407 of 4853
Two things, both kinda related to channels on QAM (one more than the other). To preface this, I live in Salem...

First, I have two TVs with QAM tuners. One TV, a Sharp, picks up the VOD channels in the 87 and 88 range (87.1 - .10 and 88.1 - .10). My other TV, a Vizio, does not pick up anything in this range. The Vizio displays channel numbers differently, for instance, Discover on the Sharp is at 104.5 (I think), the Vizio shows it at 104-303. I try putting in the channels manually, but the Vizio won't even try. A scan produces nothing. I can be watching a VOD in one room on a specific QAM channel, and the Vizio won't pick it up at all, not even there.

Second, with my Vizio, approx. 4 or 5 nights of the week, at roughly 9:10pm, my Vizio will lock up. Most of the time I'm watching Discovery when it happens. I have to unplug the TV and plug it back in to get it to work. Is this Comcast sending some signal or something?

And one last thing... I would love to get the digital sub-channels for OPB or others. But the only one I can seem to get is 8.2. Does anyone know if that's normal, or is there something I could try?

Thanks in advance for any help.
post #3408 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post

Anyone watch the season 2 opener of Mad Men on AMCHD this week? I noticed a lot of jumpiness (i.e. missing frames). Is this what we can expect from the lower-bandwidth HD channels?

I noticed this too watching the Mad Men opener in HD, have also seen this behavior on AMCHD's Breaking Bad and SCIFIHD's Battlestar programming.

I suspected it just might be a CableCard problem with my PC, but I also noticed it through my Comcast HD box with live, non-recorded content. It is terribly distracting.
post #3409 of 4853
Hi PDX,

Is this the right venue for discussing overall dissatisfaction with Comcast? I'm mostly bummed about:
  • excessive compression artifacts in HD and SD
  • crappy DVR featureset
  • lousy support
Are y'all happy with Comcast? Is it just me?
post #3410 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by spblat View Post

Hi PDX,

Is this the right venue for discussing overall dissatisfaction with Comcast? I'm mostly bummed about:
  • excessive compression artifacts in HD and SD
  • crappy DVR featureset
  • lousy support
Are y'all happy with Comcast? Is it just me?

I think it's the place to discuss these things if they're specific to Portland. Otherwise, they just duplicate the 6412/Comcast, 3412/Comcast, etc. threads. I think it's safe to say that most of us here are concerned about the items you mention, but so is most everyone else in the country who posts on these forums. I'd prefer this thread concentrate on items that are specific to the Portland and nearby environs.
post #3411 of 4853
I called Comcast and it seems they are getting a lot of complaints about the CNN Headline news CH45 local cut in. At 24 and 54 minutes after the hour they break in with a 6 minute Comcast Newsmakers feed. This is a pain and the same content! They never let us see the end of shows on HN. It is not my favorite station but sometimes I do watch and it breaks up some of the ending shows!

If you do not like this...I suggested they could add it to one of the 56 weather channels...can you please call them and tell them! The person I spoke with said it would help!

Thank you
post #3412 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsan View Post

I called Comcast and it seems they are getting a lot of complaints about the CNN Headline news CH45 local cut in. At 24 and 54 minutes after the hour they break in with a 6 minute Comcast Newsmakers feed. This is a pain and the same content! They never let us see the end of shows on HN. It is not my favorite station but sometimes I do watch and it breaks up some of the ending shows!

If you do not like this...I suggested they could add it to one of the 56 weather channels...can you please call them and tell them! The person I spoke with said it would help!

Thank you

According to this thread at DSLReports, they are going to discontinue the practice in mid September, at least during prime time.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r209...-headline-News

It also seems to be confirmed here...

http://www.cn8.tv/channel/article.as...ubhead=makerup
post #3413 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by earletp View Post

According to this thread at DSLReports, they are going to discontinue the practice in mid September, at least during prime time.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r209...-headline-News

It also seems to be confirmed here...

http://www.cn8.tv/channel/article.as...ubhead=makerup

That is great news!
post #3414 of 4853
I have setup both my Comcast DCT-3412 and my other non-recording digitial STB in another room not to display the "Red Light" receipt of Comcast messages within the setup menu. However, both boxes seem to ignore this my setup programming and the red message light continues to come on and stay on until I go into the menu and delete the messages. It drives me nuts.

Is this standard operating procedure at Comcast?
post #3415 of 4853
Is it Comcast or NBC that is making a mess of Americas Got Talent? Sound is sometimes WAY out of sync and pixelated on 708!
post #3416 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsan View Post

Is it Comcast or NBC that is making a mess of Americas Got Talent? Sound is sometimes WAY out of sync and pixelated on 708!

I would guess neither. KGW has audio sync problems and their dedication to Weather Plus at the expense of their HD channel is well established.
post #3417 of 4853
I tried watching Americas Got Talent, but it made my brain pixelate.
post #3418 of 4853
NBC, KGW?, always seems to have an issue somewhere. Reminds me when I was a kid and color tv first came out! Hmmmmm, that was NBC, too!
post #3419 of 4853
Is it just me? I'm trying to watch the football game on CH 708 and picture keeps flicking out with no signal. Picture is fine on SD CH 8. Comcast or my set? Any help is appreciated.
post #3420 of 4853
I watched the whole game on KGW-HD both thru my DCT-3412 and the QAM tuner on my Panny WS TV with no problems .... how old is your house wiring?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Portland, OR - Comcast