or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Portland, OR - Comcast
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Portland, OR - Comcast - Page 140

post #4171 of 4852
Quote:
Originally Posted by footballnut View Post

The "problem" must be fixed as since I replied I have not had an issue. Funny that way.

Yeah, me too. I was waiting a few days before going to AVS with it. Perhaps we got caught in the same alternate universe for a while.
post #4172 of 4852
Funny that we were the only 2 in that universe. Stranger things have happened. I'm just always glad that things get resolved for the best.
post #4173 of 4852
Anyone watching NFL Red Zone on 799?

I'm getting a band of vertical lines on some of the feeds, covering maybe 10% of the screen. The bands appear on different parts of the screen, changing or disappearing with a different camera angle in the same feed, so I assume it's a transmission issue.

Anyone seeing the same thing?

Other than that, best live sportscasting innovation in recent memory. Good job, NFL, as usual.
post #4174 of 4852
I just got done watching the Seahawks and notice on some replays it switches to 4:3 and then when it is live it goes to 16:9 again. OK, but when itr comes back there is pixelization, etc until it locks. Is this FOX or ch 712?
post #4175 of 4852
It was either KPTV or Fox as it showed up on Verizon as well mpsan.
post #4176 of 4852
And OTA. They were randomly switching to Fox's SD feed. Since Fox sends an HD MPEG-2 stream directly to the stations, switching to the SD feed isn't as "graceful" as with other stations. Whenever this happens all the packet timestamps will suddenly jump by a few hours. This will cause any MPEG-2 decoder to freak out.
post #4177 of 4852
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcspence View Post

Anyone watching NFL Red Zone on 799?

I'm getting a band of vertical lines on some of the feeds, covering maybe 10% of the screen. The bands appear on different parts of the screen, changing or disappearing with a different camera angle in the same feed, so I assume it's a transmission issue.

Anyone seeing the same thing?

Other than that, best live sportscasting innovation in recent memory. Good job, NFL, as usual.

I watched it for awhile and did notice similar issues occasionally.
I really enoyed Red Zone in HD, much nicer than SD.
post #4178 of 4852
OK, thank you all. Seems like we are back in the first days of Color TV when we never knew just what was going to happen!
post #4179 of 4852
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsan View Post

I just got done watching the Seahawks and notice on some replays it switches to 4:3 and then when it is live it goes to 16:9 again. OK, but when itr comes back there is pixelization, etc until it locks. Is this FOX or ch 712?

I attributed the situation to us "sucking hind teat" in terms of Fox's priorities. Our game didn't get the "A Team" announcing or producing. Joe Buck and Troy Aikman are the "A Team", Kenny Albert et al are the "B Team". You decide where that puts us!

http://www.the506.com/nflmaps/2009/03-FOX.html
post #4180 of 4852
OK, MNF is usually my best picture on ESPNHD. Was I the only one to see a bunch of streaks and pixelization especially in the 3rd and 4th Quarter?
post #4181 of 4852
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsan View Post

OK, thank you all. Seems like we are back in the first days of Color TV when we never knew just what was going to happen!

Heck, I'd say from the inside that it feels like we're reliving the 1950's. We've had to relearn how to receive TV over the air, things that are supposed to work don't, and getting the picture and sound out of the TV at the same time is a challenge. I thought I was just old enough to have missed all that. Not so.
post #4182 of 4852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Wood View Post

Heck, I'd say from the inside that it feels like we're reliving the 1950's. We've had to relearn how to receive TV over the air, things that are supposed to work don't, and getting the picture and sound out of the TV at the same time is a challenge. I thought I was just old enough to have missed all that. Not so.

At least we don't have to pop off the back of the TV and pull all our tubes to take them to the store to test every few weeks . Is it just me or is anybody else now seeing posterization/banding on the network stations? Now that the new TV season has started and I'm watching regular stuff again I'm seeing some bad gradient banding that wasn't there before. Has Comcast's long standing policy of not altering the local feeds finally come to a disappointing end with filtering now being done? It's worse than pixelation to me since it shows up in still/slow scenes so it's really hard to ignore.

On a related note, I'm afraid to see what the Blazer HD feeds look like this year. Last season when they showed them on the "part time" channel slot that didn't seem to be overloaded, they looked great. Now that CSN "HD" has a dedicated full time slot which I assume is shared like all the others, I suspect we wont' be so lucky any longer. I haven't paid much attention but I believe the parts of the Ducks games I've seen have shown a pretty fair amount of motion artifacting.


ron
post #4183 of 4852
So, does this mean that others saw what I did last night on ESPNHD?

P.S. Yes, I too, went to the Drug Store many times with my TV tubes!
post #4184 of 4852
Last two nights trying to watch "National Parks" on OPB-HD and there are video and audio dropouts. Nowhere near as many problems on Newshour immediately before. This is through a relatively new DCX3400. I'm planning on watching tonight on the QAM feed. Don't really know who to call, seems like the perfect situation for buck-passing.

Thanks
Steve
post #4185 of 4852
Quote:
Originally Posted by plimsoul View Post

Last two nights trying to watch "National Parks" on OPB-HD and there are video and audio dropouts. Nowhere near as many problems on Newshour immediately before. This is through a relatively new DCX3400. I'm planning on watching tonight on the QAM feed. Don't really know who to call, seems like the perfect situation for buck-passing.

Thanks
Steve

Steve I have been recording them on my TiVo HD and will watch and see what I get.
post #4186 of 4852
The "good old days" were pretty bad for TV, even without having to take tubes to the drug store to test them:

black & white
19" was a large TV
constant fiddling with rabbit ears to minimize ghosts
constant fiddling with horizontal hold
constant fiddling with vertical hold
very few OTA channels

Also we now have wireless remote controls, and even TiVo!

I bitch as much as anyone about the current state of HDTV-lite. But there have been a few improvements in the last 1/2 century!
post #4187 of 4852
Quote:
Originally Posted by plimsoul View Post

Last two nights trying to watch "National Parks" on OPB-HD and there are video and audio dropouts. Nowhere near as many problems on Newshour immediately before. This is through a relatively new DCX3400. I'm planning on watching tonight on the QAM feed. Don't really know who to call, seems like the perfect situation for buck-passing.

Thanks
Steve

Sorry, but I just watched the first one and it was perfect.
post #4188 of 4852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post

The "good old days" were pretty bad for TV, even without having to take tubes to the drug store to test them:

black & white
19" was a large TV
constant fiddling with rabbit ears to minimize ghosts
constant fiddling with horizontal hold
constant fiddling with vertical hold
very few OTA channels

Also we now have wireless remote controls, and even TiVo!

I bitch as much as anyone about the current state of HDTV-lite. But there have been a few improvements in the last 1/2 century!

Yes, when I was growing up in Hartford we only had one station. Also, I remember when we had to reboot the TV ...ie: power it off and then on again for it to work!
post #4189 of 4852
Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

Is it just me or is anybody else now seeing posterization/banding on the network stations?
ron

Yeah; total breakups/pixelization on 734 (FSN-HD) around 8:30 or so for about 20 minutes, then smaller breakups and glitches afterwards.

We finished off the Mariners game in SD. Not a good night for HD around here.
post #4190 of 4852
The problems with Comcast have exploded in my site's comments and I'm wondering if some of the experts here can weigh in on whether the problem might be bandwidth related? Since it happens at night, during primetime, when the popular fall shows are airing, people are speculating that Comcast can't handle the demand and that packets are being lost. People are also saying that the issue is particularly bad with OPB. Is there something unique about OPB that could make it worse? Do they use more compression in order to tack on all those subchannels?

I'll be contacting Comcast with questions, and your input would really help me know what to ask. You can check out the comments at Oregon Media Central to see what people are reporting.
post #4191 of 4852
Like plimsol, we were trying to watch and record the National Parks series on PBS last night (on channel 10) when all heck broke loose around 8:30PM. Every TV in the house had a screen full of pixelated boxes / rectangles. This mess was captured by our Comcast DVR when I tried to watch the shows recorded last night.

We've seen more and more of these pixelated images showing up latley, but their usually come and go randomly and only effect a small portion of the total screen. Last night was awful. When I tried to call Comcast, all I got was a message saying "All circuits are busy now. Please try again later".
post #4192 of 4852
The Comcast rep wasn't very specific about what it was. Something about routing issues in the region. Can anyone here figure out what this might have been code for (if it was code at all)?
post #4193 of 4852
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonmedia View Post

The Comcast rep wasn't very specific about what it was. Something about routing issues in the region. Can anyone here figure out what this might have been code for (if it was code at all)?

Why not post it here, or are you trying to drive up hits to your own site?
post #4194 of 4852
Sorry, I didn't want to post a wall of text, but here's the most relevant part if you don't feel like reading the article:

Quote:


Theressa Davis, Comcast's Vice President of Communications in Oregon, told OMC that the trouble "stemmed from how the signals are transported around the regional network."

While some had speculated that demand during primetime was exceeding bandwidth, Davis said that there wasn't any one cause as direct as that. "Any number of things" could be a factor in the routing, she said.

Davis also pointed out that "many, many customers didn't experience any interruptions." Rather, the problems "affected certain parts of the system at different times."

Many customers had said that the trouble was particularly severe with OPB, but it's unclear why. It's possible that OPB viewers were simply more irritated by the video issues because they occurred during a Ken Burns documentary that featured high-definition scenic photography.

There was "no channel disparity" with the video issues, Davis said, though the episodic nature of the problems could have made them worse for one channel at a particular time.
post #4195 of 4852
Thank you!!

While I was curious as to Comcast's response, it was not enough so as to break a cardinal rule of mine about blindly clicking links found on the internet.

Also to be completely candid, I personally find it distasteful when a new person shows up on a site and immediately starts posting links to their own competing website.
post #4196 of 4852
I, for one, welcome OMC to AVS and to the web in general; it's nice and useful to have a website dedicated to Portland-area media. I don't think it is "competition" to AVS, but is complementary.

I hope it succeeds.
post #4197 of 4852
In today's Oregonian, there's a small article in the business section that quotes Theressa Davis as listed above. It also says:

"The cable operator said it started working Monday to identify the cause of the problem and nailed it down Wednesday."

I'm not sure if that means they fixed the problem, but at least they've "nailed it down."
post #4198 of 4852
Sorry, I understand the annoyance. And I have linked to AVS Forum in the past, if that helps. It's also linked to from the "Daily Reading" list on my site. I definitely want this forum to stay healthy and grow. It's a great source of info and knowledge.

Oh, and as for fixing the problem, it seems like it's at least mostly fixed. I did hear from one person last night who still had tiling problems, but they were minor by comparison. The frenzy of comments on Twitter from the two previous nights was gone.
post #4199 of 4852
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonmedia View Post

Sorry, I understand the annoyance. And I have linked to AVS Forum in the past, if that helps. It's also linked to from the "Daily Reading" list on my site. I definitely want this forum to stay healthy and grow. It's a great source of info and knowledge.

Oh, and as for fixing the problem, it seems like it's at least mostly fixed. I did hear from one person last night who still had tiling problems, but they were minor by comparison. The frenzy of comments on Twitter from the two previous nights was gone.

Not really an annoyance to me, it goes more to ethics in my mind. I actually agree with JimProuty, and if you were to contact the AVS site admin or one of the moderators and introduce yourself and request and are granted permission to promote your site here, I'd have absolutely no issues with you linking to your site.

As to you posting links to AVS from your site, it's your site and your decision, which really has no bearing on your actions here.

All of this is as always simply my opinion and has no real value other than what it is, just my opinion.

Earl

edited to add....

Though if you make it a habit to post "teasers" here with the intention of requiring us to read your site for "the rest of the story", that could indeed quickly become annoying.
post #4200 of 4852
OK Comcast folks. I'm watching the OR/WSU game on Verizon FiOS in SD on Comcast SportsNet. Do you guys get it in HD? And what the heck is OSN? It's in the scoreboard bug. Is this another "minus" I suffer for not having Comcast as my provider, as I suffer through SD for Blazer games? (Hmm, will that then be on BSN?) What is going on here with Comcast SportsNet?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Portland, OR - Comcast