or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Portland, OR - Comcast
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Portland, OR - Comcast - Page 146

post #4351 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

So I'm still a little confused, Comcast does not allow self-install of CC's in your area then, that's the bottom line?

At least to the guy I ended up talking to at their office.

Quote:


It sounds like you may have had better luck handling the 2 procedures, the CC install and the return of the STB, as two separate calls/visits, that way there was less to confuse them.

No, it was clear that the man wouldn't have handed me a cable card under any conditions.

Oh, and my STB stopped working so no cable until the card man comes.
post #4352 of 4853
Well, that sucks, hopefully you're up and running again soon.

I wonder why it's so simple in some areas but ridiculously difficult in other areas. I should say that the SF bay area is Motorola equipment, not that it should matter much.
post #4353 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Well, that sucks, hopefully you're up and running again soon.

I'm thinking Comcast has disabled my STB in anticipation of me installing my cable card today which of course didn't happen. The box resets every few seconds. I'm sure a call to Comcast tomorrow will fix it.
post #4354 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

I'm thinking Comcast has disabled my STB in anticipation of me installing my cable card today which of course didn't happen. The box resets every few seconds. I'm sure a call to Comcast tomorrow will fix it.

They should be able to re-activate it 24/7.
post #4355 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

They should be able to re-activate it 24/7.

I wasn't at home last night.

So I called Comcast this morning. They couldn't get the STB working again so no cable for me right now. They set up a "emergency" appointment to repair it today. I'm hoping I might get lucky and get a cable card instead of a replacement STB, but I have a feeling I won't because Comcast is not in the business of exceeding your expectations.

Why do I say that? The Comcast person on the phone said she found no cable card appointment scheduled for me anywhere in their system. Yeah, I have a piece of Comcast paper that has the appointment written on it but it looked like the guy I was dealing with at the Sandy office was as stupid as I thought he was and didn't bother to enter it into the complicated computer system. I would have been sitting here waiting next week and no one would have shown up.

Never trust the humans at the Comcast offices. Their job is to keep the line moving.

Sometimes it seems they purposely make things as inconvenient as possible.
post #4356 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

I wasn't at home last night.

So I called Comcast this morning. They couldn't get the STB working again so no cable for me right now. They set up a "emergency" appointment to repair it today. I'm hoping I might get lucky and get a cable card instead of a replacement STB, but I have a feeling I won't because Comcast is not in the business of exceeding your expectations.

Why do I say that? The Comcast person on the phone said she found no cable card appointment scheduled for me anywhere in their system. Yeah, I have a piece of Comcast paper that has the appointment written on it but it looked like the guy I was dealing with at the Sandy office was as stupid as I thought he was and didn't bother to enter it into the complicated computer system. I would have been sitting here waiting next week and no one would have shown up.

Never trust the humans at the Comcast offices. Their job is to keep the line moving.

Sometimes it seems they purposely make things as inconvenient as possible.

If they are late or don't show up with your cable card make sure you hit them up for their on time guarantee, it's worth $20 to you and maybe a free service.

http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Cus...Guarantee.html
post #4357 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

Now that CSN is a full time channel and is most certainly at least paired if not tripled up, the games range only from pretty good to lousy depending on what they are stacked up with. None of them have the nice HD pop at all . If it weren't for the fact that Verizon seems to have no great desire to add the HD feed of CSN I would have dumped comcast and moved to Fios long ago.

This doesn't make sense. If CSN HD sucks then why not switch to FiOS and enjoy good quality CSN SD? Good SD has to be more enjoyable then bad HD, don't you think? Does anyone know if CSN SD is "good" on FiOS?
post #4358 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by earletp View Post

If they are late or don't show up with your cable card make sure you hit them up for their on time guarantee, it's worth $20 to you and maybe a free service.

Not only did the guy show up on time with cable cards but the entire "installation" took less than ten minutes. "Easiest cable card installation so far!" he said, mainly because I already had my TiVo completely set up and I had already downloaded all the software updates which can take hours even with broadband. He put in the card, I punched the remote, he called in the number on the screen and three minutes later... cable television.

I wish there was something I wanted to watch now.
post #4359 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post

This doesn't make sense. If CSN HD sucks then why not switch to FiOS and enjoy good quality CSN SD? Good SD has to be more enjoyable then bad HD, don't you think? Does anyone know if CSN SD is "good" on FiOS?

1) Comcast has both HD and SD CSN. The quality of both sucks. 2) I don't believe Verizon FIOS offers CSN at all, SD or HD. Isn't that the whole point? Comcast wants too much for the service.
post #4360 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post

1) Comcast has both HD and SD CSN. The quality of both sucks. 2) I don't believe Verizon FIOS offers CSN at all, SD or HD. Isn't that the whole point? Comcast wants too much for the service.

FiOS has CSNW on SD only.
post #4361 of 4853
To hear all these complaints I'm surprised you stay with Comcast. I don't have any connection with Comcast but I feel the service is pretty good. Could be better but not as bad as I'm hearing here. HBO, Showtime are decent and Sunday night and Monday night football look good to me. Throw in some College Sports and I'm happy. When I want a movie, I watch it on my Blu Ray. On Demand is a very valuable service to me even if not HD quality.
post #4362 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by footballnut View Post

To hear all these complaints I'm surprised you stay with Comcast. I don't have any connection with Comcast but I feel the service is pretty good. Could be better but not as bad as I'm hearing here. HBO, Showtime are decent and Sunday night and Monday night football look good to me. Throw in some College Sports and I'm happy. When I want a movie, I watch it on my Blu Ray. On Demand is a very valuable service to me even if not HD quality.

I think it's a slippery slope. If you don't remember or never saw what Comcast's HD channels looked like when there were just a few of them, then you might not realize how much better an HD channel could look if they gave it the appropriate amount of bandwidth. I think we all, myself included, get used to the increased fuzziness and motion blur.
post #4363 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by footballnut View Post

To hear all these complaints I'm surprised you stay with Comcast. I don't have any connection with Comcast but I feel the service is pretty good. Could be better but not as bad as I'm hearing here. HBO, Showtime are decent and Sunday night and Monday night football look good to me. Throw in some College Sports and I'm happy. When I want a movie, I watch it on my Blu Ray. On Demand is a very valuable service to me even if not HD quality.

Had Comcast for 3 years then switched to FiOS. I enjoyed my Comcast service and my plan all along was to take advantage of the first year package discounts and switch back to Comcast to get their pricing discounts again.

My one year was up in October and there was no doubt in my mind...I re-upped with FiOS. The only wildcard for me whether or not the sale of FiOS to Frontier was going to impact future service. There was no real risk there (if service deteriorates I can switch back to Comcast) so I re-upped. The key features that kept me hooked to FiOS:
- Incredible picture quality. Absolutely love it.
- Internet speeds and no bandwidth capping (25 down 15 up)
- Multi-room DVR. Love that my wife and I can watch our family room DVR while on the treadmill or in the Master Bedroom.
- I really like the online DVR scheduling...use that a lot (Comcast may now have that?)

All in all, no complaints. Hope I never have to go back...
post #4364 of 4853
Comcast just ran an ad on ESPN for Duck highlights on Christmas Day and all sorts of pre- Rose Bowl coverage of the Ducks. All of this on Comcast SportsNet, Ch 77 on FiOS in SD. Would it be typical of Comcast to produce these kinds of shows in HD for Comcast subs? Just trying the gauge what other HD content I might be missing with SportsNet on FiOS.
post #4365 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQ22 View Post

- I really like the online DVR scheduling...use that a lot (Comcast may now have that?)

The Tivo HD has it. It's very handy but you have to go through their web site. There was once a hack to get directly into the http:// port but I think they closed it.
post #4366 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

The Tivo HD has it. It's very handy but you have to go through their web site. There was once a hack to get directly into the http:// port but I think they closed it.

You can also do it through the Zap2It website if you set up an account, I use it myself quite often.
post #4367 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgefamus View Post

Comcast just ran an ad on ESPN for Duck highlights on Christmas Day and all sorts of pre- Rose Bowl coverage of the Ducks. All of this on Comcast SportsNet, Ch 77 on FiOS in SD. Would it be typical of Comcast to produce these kinds of shows in HD for Comcast subs? Just trying the gauge what other HD content I might be missing with SportsNet on FiOS.

They're doing a lot better in that regard. I did a quick check and all of the Rose Bowl specials I came across are listed as HD.
post #4368 of 4853
Taken from Comcast's http://www.getthefacts.com web site.

Quote:


Q: Does FiOs offer better HD picture quality?
A: Nope. A recent consumer study showed FiOs and Comcast deliver the same HD picture quality. So with Comcast you get the same great picture and more HD for less.



I wonder what study this is referring to and when it was done. They don't provide any specific information about the study on the site. Based on everything I've read I find this very hard to believe.

According to Consumer Reports, Fios ranked #1 among HD TV providers with excellent scores across the board including image quality and sound quality. Comcast on the other hand finished near the bottom with average ratings for all categories except for for support which was among the worst overall.
post #4369 of 4853
Well, it's known that Comcast doesn't give us what many cable channels are broadcasting. Their streams are being received by a company which recompresses them into fewer bits and sends them back up to a satellite. Comcast systems receive these streams and pass them onto us. They try hard to multiplex the channels properly to maximize quality but it's clear that it fails regularly.

A&E HD is certainly getting screwed in this system. A door on Mad Men couldn't move without pixelating. That's not an exaggeration.

It could be that FiOs does the same thing but I haven't heard about it.
post #4370 of 4853
Ridgefamus, I'm having the same problem again that only you and I experienced before. When I log in I end up on page 137 instead of at the most current posts. Is it just me or are you having that problem again?
post #4371 of 4853
To anyone, Don't know if others saw it but I felt the picture quality of the Cal-Utah game on ESPN was below normal quality. Could be compression but just seemed dark to me. When they went to commercials picture seemed great. Perhaps my disappointment in PAC-10 didn't help. Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays to all.
post #4372 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by footballnut View Post

Ridgefamus, I'm having the same problem again that only you and I experienced before. When I log in I end up on page 137 instead of at the most current posts. Is it just me or are you having that problem again?

Make sure you're actually logged in. Every once in a while, this site forgets who I am and I have to re-log in to get to the right page.
post #4373 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

Well, it's known that Comcast doesn't give us what many cable channels are broadcasting. Their streams are being received by a company which recompresses them into fewer bits and sends them back up to a satellite. Comcast systems receive these streams and pass them onto us. They try hard to multiplex the channels properly to maximize quality but it's clear that it fails regularly.

A&E HD is certainly getting screwed in this system. A door on Mad Men couldn't move without pixelating. That's not an exaggeration.

It could be that FiOs does the same thing but I haven't heard about it.

FiOS doesn't recompress period. And how it can be less than FiOS' price for less amount of channels is laughable.
post #4374 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by footballnut View Post

Ridgefamus, I'm having the same problem again that only you and I experienced before. When I log in I end up on page 137 instead of at the most current posts. Is it just me or are you having that problem again?

Yep, I have experienced that the past couple of days. It seems to occur mostly with the local threads I am following: Portland OTA, Verizon, Comcast rather than more general threads.

As crossbeaux notes, I have also found myself having to log in more often. I don't know if the experience happens when I am not logged in properly, though. For instance, I wasn't logged in when I opened this thread this morning but was directed to the correct post when I clicked on the "new post" link in the email notice. I haven't spent a lot of time analyzing it but there doesn't seem to be any consistent cause. Interesting though that it has just started happening again after a few months.
post #4375 of 4853
Ridgefamus, I'm usually always logged in but now it does seem like I must log in more frequent. Funny that only you and I have this problem.
post #4376 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by footballnut View Post

Ridgefamus, I'm usually always logged in but now it does seem like I must log in more frequent. Funny that only you and I have this problem.

It was happening to me on Thursday.
I cleared my cookies, logged in again, and everything went back to normal and has been fine since.

Earl
post #4377 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by footballnut View Post

Ridgefamus, I'm usually always logged in but now it does seem like I must log in more frequent. Funny that only you and I have this problem.

If I walk away from my computer for > 20 minutes, I automatically get logged out. I don't like that behavior, but it's much better than TiVo Community (same general software running it) where I don't get logged out but where it changes my "last visited" time.

Could something like that be happening to you?
post #4378 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post

If I walk away from my computer for > 20 minutes, I automatically get logged out.

That's interesting. I can be logged in properly to AVS for days on end. Granted, I access it a number of times each day from both my laptop and desktop computers. Only in the past week have I had to log back in a number of times. I don't realize I'm not logged in until I try to post. And that has perhaps coincided with the experience with footballnut of not getting to the correct page from an email link of a new post. Minor, infrequent occurrences I can certainly live with.

Happy Holidays, everyone!
post #4379 of 4853
UPDATE - Ok so yesterday I turned off my basic comcast (now saving $10/month - woot! More $ for my Starbucks addiction!) and am now only using my roof top antenna (over the air - OTA) patched into my house cabling.

After replacing a few coax cables with new quad shield RF6 cabling and better ends - I now have the following connected and receiving HD signals. 3 Philips DVRs, 1 HD radio, 3 FM radios, 1 Zenith HDTV converter box, and 3 Vizio HDTV's.

I live in the Portland, OR area in a hard to receive FM and TV signals OTA but with the antenna strapped to the top of the chimmeny stack I'm able to pull in clearly 30+ HDTV channels and many more HD radio channels all without any amps or pre-amps. About the only channel I miss is the discovery channel and TV guide channel but Discovery shows can be streamed on Netflix and I can use a computer to get the TV guide info if needed.

Note - I do have a $30 pre-amp on order because I have one Philips DVR that just won't receive channel 6 (nbc I think) and I want to see if a pre-amp will let it receive this channel.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my decision and results with the group.
Bruce.
post #4380 of 4853
I have Comcast Internet as my backup for my primary FiOS internet connection. As some may recall, the monthly rate for Comcast internet is $42.95/mo if you subscribe to any other Comcast service. I chose Comcast Basic, giving me channels 2-31 (actually their QAM equivalents, since analog is long gone) for $8.50/mo. Overall, less expensive that the $52.95/mo if I only subscribed to internet.

Got a letter today indicating that my current promotion is "about-to-end". Yeah, I'm not on any contract that I am aware of. I wonder if Comcast are trying to switch me to this new "Digital Economy TV" package which is "just $19.95/mo" for the next 12 months, later rising to $29.95-39.95/mo in a year.

The Basic package is well hidden on Comcast's website; a quick search today could not find it anywhere. I'm afraid that if I switch, I may never be able to get back to Basic.

There is no detail on the Economy package over at the Comcast website, and I'm in no mood to spend anytime on the phone to find out more. I imagine a cable box is necessary to get the expanded channel offering of this new package.

Anyone else get this letter?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Portland, OR - Comcast