or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Portland, OR - Comcast
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Portland, OR - Comcast - Page 151

post #4501 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

Did anyone else think that Comcast would never ever pick up HDNet? Cuban and Comcast have been like enemies for years.

As far as I'm concerned they still haven't until they put up HDNet Movies, they can keep the main channel, for my tastes it's next to worthless.
post #4502 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

As far as I'm concerned they still haven't until they put up HDNet Movies, they can keep the main channel, for my tastes it's next to worthless.

FiOS has both, and I agree that Movies is better than the main channel. But there's already too much to watch just on cable. Plus there are other sources. Apple has free stuff; Netflix has lots of streaming for $9/mo; I've had the same Netflix DVD in my computer for a week. Who can keep up?
post #4503 of 4853
Comcast

ANYROOM DVR

I found that unfortunately the two DVR's must be on coax lines without spliters and other devices so they can communicate. But I thought I would manage with...

My DVR online

But I have not found a way to navigate the convoluted Comcast website to initialize this service and even get to the DVR Manager. Comcast staff seems to be untrained enough that they simply duck questions and refer you to online help pages.


Maybe I am ignorant but I have no clue how to get going with this online DVRmanager service. Can anyone offer some tips?
post #4504 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post

Comcast


My DVR online

But I have not found a way to navigate the convoluted Comcast website to initialize this service and even get to the DVR Manager. Comcast staff seems to be untrained enough that they simply duck questions and refer you to online help pages.


Maybe I am ignorant but I have no clue how to get going with this online DVRmanager service. Can anyone offer some tips?

Use Internet Explorer as your browser. Go to this website:

http://www.fancast.com/tv-listings
post #4505 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post

Use Internet Explorer as your browser. Go to this website:

http://www.fancast.com/tv-listings

Thanks, the combination of awkward site navigation, unacceptably slow site response, and delayed sync with the DVRs had me confused. IMO it is not a shining example of how to offer a 'service' but I have managed to get some things done.
post #4506 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post

Thanks, the combination of awkward site navigation, unacceptably slow site response, and delayed sync with the DVRs had me confused. IMO it is not a shining example of how to offer a 'service' but I have managed to get some things done.

Agreed. I think it's too slow and clunky to be of much use. Also, some of the things I might like to do remotely, i.e. when on extended vacation, check to see how full the disc is and delete the least important programs, are not available.
post #4507 of 4853
My DVR did a spontaneous reboot last night (Wed) between 8:30PM and 9:00PM. Did anyone else experience the same thing? Maybe a software upgrade or something? I can only hope.
post #4508 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post

My DVR did a spontaneous reboot last night (Wed) between 8:30PM and 9:00PM. Did anyone else experience the same thing in Beaverton, Oregon. Maybe a software upgrade or something? I can only hope.

My DCX3400-M (AnyRoom) did the same early Tuesday around 2:30 AM .... Looking at the A28 SW it is now listed as 78.54-a28p4.1005.r-6 and Firmware: 22.65. It used to be 78.54-a28p4.1004.r-6 and Firmware: 22.65 (for what it's worth).
post #4509 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by George-O View Post

My DCX3400-M (AnyRoom) did the same early Tuesday around 2:30 AM .... Looking at the A28 SW it is now listed as 78.54-a28p4.1005.r-6 and Firmware: 22.65. It used to be 78.54-a28p4.1004.r-6 and Firmware: 22.65 (for what it's worth).

Thanks. Mine was at that level before last night's reboot. I haven't checked yet to see if the level advanced again.
post #4510 of 4853
My DCX-3400 rebooted again and I now have....
S/W Ver. 78.53-A28p0-4.1005.r-8
Firmware 22.65
post #4511 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by earletp View Post

My DCX-3400 rebooted again and I now have....
S/W Ver. 78.53-A28p0-4.1005.r-8
Firmware 22.65

My DCX3400-M remains at 78.54-a28p4.1005.r-6 as of today.
post #4512 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by earletp View Post

My DCX-3400 rebooted again and I now have....
S/W Ver. 78.53-A28p0-4.1005.r-8
Firmware 22.65

78.53?

Mine is also at 78.54-a28p4.1005.r-6
post #4513 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post

78.53?

Mine is also at 78.54-a28p4.1005.r-6

Right 78.54 .... my bad
post #4514 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post

78.53?

Mine is also at 78.54-a28p4.1005.r-6

Yes, 78.53-A28p0-4.1005.r-8

I suspect the difference in version, format, and revision (r-8) are because I have the 320GB DCX-3400 and both of you have the 500GB DCX-3400-M
post #4515 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by earletp View Post

Yes, 78.53-A28p0-4.1005.r-8

I suspect the difference in version, format, and revision (r-8) are because I have the 320GB DCX-3400 and both of you have the 500GB DCX-3400-M

Could very well be. I'm still hoping for an upgrade soon that will address the "black screen" issue that sometimes happens when the system switches tuners to record in the background (or something like that). I had another instance this week with The Closer. It recorded about three minutes, and everything else was black. This happens once in a blue moon, but it's frustrating when it does.
post #4516 of 4853
Me too, my latest victim was Hawaii Five-0, Monday night.
It's completely random. From my experience, it can happen at anytime and on any channel.
post #4517 of 4853
Frontier plans massive FiOS cable TV rate hike

Quote:


Rates will rise 46 percent or more for standard cable plans -- the result, Frontier says, of rate hikes by the cable networks.

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...e_fios_ca.html
post #4518 of 4853
But it's not a big deal to change cable providers, it's not like marriage and divorce. I currently have Frontier, they have outstanding video quality, but if they become much more expensive I will simply change back to Comcast. No big deal.

It's not like Comcast is much better. They raise rates every year, even though both DirecTV and Dish are "nominally" competitors. If/when Frontier gives up on video, expect Comcast to push through even bigger rate increases.
post #4519 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post

But it's not a big deal to change cable providers, it's not like marriage and divorce. I currently have Frontier, they have outstanding video quality, but if they become much more expensive I will simply change back to Comcast. No big deal.

It's not like Comcast is much better. They raise rates every year, even though both DirecTV and Dish are "nominally" competitors. If/when Frontier gives up on video, expect Comcast to push through even bigger rate increases.

What's really amusing is Frontier "pledged" this last September:

http://blog.oregonlive.com/siliconfo...better_se.html

And then today even their own CS don't know what's going on with no response from Frontier's east coast headquarters:

http://blog.oregonlive.com/siliconfo...ontier_co.html

Plus no comment from Oregonian investigative reporters. I think Frontier bit off more than they could chew when buying the FiOS system from Verizon. I smell a possible BK filing soon by Frontier (I presume they took on massive debt to aquire the FiOS system), IMO.

Just another bankster type organization saying one thing and doing another
post #4520 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
But it's not a big deal to change cable providers, it's not like marriage and divorce. I currently have Frontier, they have outstanding video quality, but if they become much more expensive I will simply change back to Comcast. No big deal.
However, I can imagine someone *getting* divorced over having switched away from Comcast (email) to Verizon/Frontier and back because of the aggravation of changing email addresses twice and learning/unlearning strange remote controls. Some of us are married to people who hate change :-)

I've been somewhat envious of the FiOS picture quality, and had thought about switching, but to me it looks like Frontier is looking to shed the TV acquisition. So I'm content to stay with Comcast, even though it does have its own drawbacks, familiarity not being one of them.
post #4521 of 4853
For those unaware, there is a free preview of Showtime OnDemand this weekend that has already started as of Friday afternoon.

Only the OnDemand, the normal channels are still locked down.
post #4522 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by earletp View Post

For those unaware, there is a free preview of Showtime OnDemand this weekend that has already started as of Friday afternoon.

Only the OnDemand, the normal channels are still locked down.

How long will the preview period last?
post #4523 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by George-O View Post

How long will the preview period last?

Just until Monday. (Jan. 10th)
post #4524 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimProuty View Post

However, I can imagine someone *getting* divorced over having switched away from Comcast (email) to Verizon/Frontier and back because of the aggravation of changing email addresses twice and learning/unlearning strange remote controls

Two things:

1. Remotes were pretty much the same between Comcast and FiOS; granted the guide is different.

2. Email? I've never used my Comcast or FiOS email addresses, except to forward these infrequent emails to a more permanent email. With the proliferation of both paid and free email services, there is no reason to tie oneself down to the whims of your ISP. Having an independent email address is quite valuable in the long run. This way you can use it no matter what method you use to access the internet.
post #4525 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by earletp View Post

For those unaware, there is a free preview of Showtime OnDemand this weekend that has already started as of Friday afternoon.

Only the OnDemand, the normal channels are still locked down.

Thanks for the heads up. I finally got to see Hurt Locker.
post #4526 of 4853
Has anyone had recent luck finding a non-Anyroom DCX around PDX? I would love to gain some storage capacity over my DCH3416, but no joy so far.
post #4527 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteOR View Post
Has anyone had recent luck finding a non-Anyroom DCX around PDX? I would love to gain some storage capacity over my DCH3416, but no joy so far.
I had a DCX3400 (350G) before I traded it in for an AnyRoom. I got it at the Milwaukie office on SE McGloughlin. This was many moons ago, so no guarantees now.
post #4528 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteOR View Post

Has anyone had recent luck finding a non-Anyroom DCX around PDX? I would love to gain some storage capacity over my DCH3416, but no joy so far.

The Portland/Beaverton Comcast area non-AnyRoom DCX units come with 320GB hard drives, but rumor has it that the Beaverton office at Nimbus and Scholls Ferry Road has handed out the DCX3400-M 500GB AnyRoom units to non-AnyRoom subscribers on good days (when they had an over-supply of 500GB units, etc). The M units will work with non-AnyRoom systems and look and operate identically as the non-M units (except they say "DCX3400 M" at the front lower left corner of the unit).
post #4529 of 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by George-O View Post

The Portland/Beaverton Comcast area non-AnyRoom DCX units come with 320GB hard drives, but rumor has it that the Beaverton office at Nimbus and Scholls Ferry Road has handed out the DCX3400-M 500GB AnyRoom units to non-AnyRoom subscribers on good days (when they had an over-supply of 500GB units, etc). The M units will work with non-AnyRoom systems and look and operate identically as the non-M units (except they say "DCX3400 M" at the front lower left corner of the unit).

BTW, your best and easiest bet is to regularly visit the Comcast Portand/Beaverton area offices (w/o carrying in your DCH) and ask for a DCX. If they have one, they will give it to you and only charge you for 1 day pro-rated of having two DVRs (assuming you return the DCH the next day).
post #4530 of 4853
I noticed in the last few days that TravelHD channel 765 has been showing the East Coast feed while the SD version (channel 65) has been on the West Coast feed.
This is causing my Tivo Premiere's guide data to be off for the HD channel. I'm assuming that everyone on Comcast equipment is having the same issue? Can anyone else chime in? I'm located in SW Portland.

Thanks -
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Portland, OR - Comcast