or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Traverse City, MI - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Traverse City, MI - HDTV - Page 50

post #1471 of 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbricks View Post

Here are my results from TV Fool - http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...507c1034cf341c

I've read the HDTV primer that talks about modifying antennas but I'm not sure where I'd find the parts. Anything out there that you can recommend to pull in channels that are in opposite directions?

Many have had success with the original Channel Master 4228 UHF antenna by taking the screen off. It reduces forward gain some, but gain is increased on the back side. As you are real close to the TC towers, you might do well with a 4228 with the back screen on and pointed toward Kalkaska. You might even get away with it pointed somewhere between Kalkaska and Cadillac. I have a 4228 pointed due East (90 degrees) and I get 17/29 at 55 degrees and 32 at 150 degrees.
post #1472 of 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbricks View Post

Here are my results from TV Fool - http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...507c1034cf341c

I've read the HDTV primer that talks about modifying antennas but I'm not sure where I'd find the parts. Anything out there that you can recommend to pull in channels that are in opposite directions?

What type of antenna are you using now? What channels do you get with your current setup? What stations might you want, that you are not getting right now?

I am guessing you can get 17, 29, and 50 right now and that you want 9 and 32. Are you getting either 9 or 32 at all right now?
post #1473 of 1760
Right now I don't have an antenna up. I'm trying to locate the original CM 4228 but have had no luck finding one for sale. My next step is to buy the CM4228HD but then I'd have to modify it (http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/TemporaryPage.html) and I'm not sure where I'd find the parts to do that.
post #1474 of 1760
I'm wondering what this means................

I am in north-east cadillac and I get most of my stations from Kalkaska. 27.x and 29.x (29.x comes in better than 7.x for me).

My UHF antenna has been working great, up until recently. Now, with both the above channels it'll be cranking along just fine with signal fully into the green. Then it'll just tank, then return. Might do it a couple times per show, might do it constantly. I think it might be called macro-blocking.

What is the solution? Maybe a bigger UHF antenna (100" beam...tiny url dot com/yl3ty67)? A better quality splitter to my sources? Move my antenna(s) out of the attic?
post #1475 of 1760
Barrington has filed with the FCC, it's formal "minor change" CP for channel 47.
Oct.27th, 2009

Jack
at Wellston
post #1476 of 1760
[quote=aeblank;17427174

What is the solution? Maybe a bigger UHF antenna (100" beam...tiny url dot com/yl3ty67)? A better quality splitter to my sources? Move my antenna(s) out of the attic?[/QUOTE]

prob the last 2 matter the most. The attic will be more of a problem once snow falls. The splitter should be rated to 1 GHz and have the fewest number of splits as possible. Do you have a preamp? The Channel Master 7777 is a very good one. Are you using RG-6 Quad shield coax? Finally, if that doesn't work, upgrade the antenna to something like the Channel Master 2020 or 3020. You can google them to see the specs. Basically, the 3020 is better for VHF but it is larger.

BTW, here is the filing for WPBN on UHF 47:
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=WPBN&city=&state=
post #1477 of 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiat View Post

The attic will be more of a problem once snow falls.
The splitter should be rated to 1 GHz and have the fewest number of splits as possible. Do you have a preamp? The Channel Master 7777 is a very good one. Are you using RG-6 Quad shield coax? Finally, if that doesn't work, upgrade the antenna to something like the Channel Master 2020 or 3020.

I'm going to move the antenna out as soon as I get the hardware (tripod) to do it. Also getting a cell phone amp and that's going out there.

Splitter-I'm going to re-wire things a bit. I have antenna(s) coming into a radioshack 15-1119a 4-way splitter. That goes to my 4 converter boxes. 3 directly connected to DVRs. So 3 DVRs and one converter box connect to my modulator, which goes to an 8-way splitter/IR system (ChannelPlus 550HHR). When I'm done, it'll go antenna--channelplus--boxes--modulator--channelplus--radioshack splitter as needed--tvs.

Preamp-yes. For the life of me I can't figure out what it is. Bought it 5-ish years ago. Only notable #s it has on it is 476U/V. Wish I knew what it was so I could figure out if I had to get a CM 7777.

RG6 quad-yes. Compression connectors. 5 year old house/wiring. Did it myself.

Why would I get the CM 2020 or 2030? All I need is UHF. I have VHF in my back yard (well, maybe 15 miles away but 9&10 is dang darn powerful). What about some crazy-long UHF antenna? Like a HD9032 or 43XG from solidsignal. I'd like to get it from solidsignal, cause I'm already ordering from there (shipping and all).

Help me out guys! If Grey's pixels and cuts out many more times I'm in trouble. She's yelling at the TV as I type. I've been authorized for "whatever I need" and to overdue it if it'll help, etc.

My only worry is that 29.x leaves kalkaska and then I have to try to get signal from 2 directions (29.x and 27.x).

Sorry for the long post. Hopefully one of you smart people will read it and know where to send me. =)
post #1478 of 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post

I'm going to move the antenna out as soon as I get the hardware (tripod) to do it. Also getting a cell phone amp and that's going out there.

Splitter-I'm going to re-wire things a bit. I have antenna(s) coming into a radioshack 15-1119a 4-way splitter. That goes to my 4 converter boxes. 3 directly connected to DVRs. So 3 DVRs and one converter box connect to my modulator, which goes to an 8-way splitter/IR system (ChannelPlus 550HHR). When I'm done, it'll go antenna--channelplus--boxes--modulator--channelplus--radioshack splitter as needed--tvs.

Preamp-yes. For the life of me I can't figure out what it is. Bought it 5-ish years ago. Only notable #s it has on it is 476U/V. Wish I knew what it was so I could figure out if I had to get a CM 7777.

RG6 quad-yes. Compression connectors. 5 year old house/wiring. Did it myself.

Why would I get the CM 2020 or 2030? All I need is UHF. I have VHF in my back yard (well, maybe 15 miles away but 9&10 is dang darn powerful). What about some crazy-long UHF antenna? Like a HD9032 or 43XG from solidsignal. I'd like to get it from solidsignal, cause I'm already ordering from there (shipping and all).

Help me out guys! If Grey's pixels and cuts out many more times I'm in trouble. She's yelling at the TV as I type. I've been authorized for "whatever I need" and to overdue it if it'll help, etc.

My only worry is that 29.x leaves kalkaska and then I have to try to get signal from 2 directions (29.x and 27.x).

Sorry for the long post. Hopefully one of you smart people will read it and know where to send me. =)

Have you read this: http://support.radioshack.com/suppor...oc46/46790.htm It says your Radio Shack distribution amp is for VHF only and it's designed to take one input and output to four locations, not combine antennas. I'd dump that thing real quick. Why do you have an 8-output dist. box and splitters? Do you need more than 8 outputs?
post #1479 of 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesickstan View Post

Have you read this: http://support.radioshack.com/suppor...oc46/46790.htm It says your Radio Shack distribution amp is for VHF only and it's designed to take one input and output to four locations, not combine antennas. I'd dump that thing real quick. Why do you have an 8-output dist. box and splitters? Do you need more than 8 outputs?

I hadn't found that URL yet, no. Dang though! That obviously needs to be changed. I'm not using it to combine antennas though. I had a separate device with a UHF input, VHF input, and an output. Both antennas fed into that thing, and that fed into the ratshack splitter, and then to my 4 dtv boxes.

I've eliminated the VHF antenna (saucer) and the uhf/vhf combiner with no ill effects. I don't see a reason to go back. The back side of the UHF antenna catches 9&10 no problem at all.

I have the 8 port distribution splitter/IR system that I got as a kit with a modulator. It does IR over coax back to the modulator to control my sources. The simplest way, I figured, to wire things was to have digital signal come in, get split, go to the digital sources. Then they all get modulated onto the existing system. I'll be changing that tonight.

I had solidsignal recommend an antenna for me. They came back with the HD8200U.

I'm not a huge fan of spending $120 on an antenna, though I will if it is what I need. What I don't get is why the VHF? 9&10 is the only VHF around and I can probably pick that up with the fillings in my teeth.
Am I wrong to think that I only need a UHF antenna (of which I can get a huge one for $30).

Trying to understand.

Thanks for the heads up on the splitter. Makes me feel like a fool once again.
post #1480 of 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post


Why would I get the CM 2020 or 2030? All I need is UHF. I have VHF in my back yard (well, maybe 15 miles away but 9&10 is dang darn powerful). What about some crazy-long UHF antenna? Like a HD9032 or 43XG from solidsignal. I'd like to get it from solidsignal, cause I'm already ordering from there (shipping and all).

=)

The CM2020 is basically an all UHF crazy long antenna. It has limited VHF performance. You may want some VHF for WLLZ from TVC if you are close enough to get it. Otherwise, the Winegard HD9032 you pointed out is very good for just UHF.
post #1481 of 1760
I moved my ratshack uhf (40" boom, yagi, $35) that I had out of the attic. Stellar performance now. Problem solved.

Just gotta get my brother in shape now. He's 6 miles east of me with almost an identical setup and he can't get kalkaska stations.
post #1482 of 1760
I had 29.1 (ABC) out of Kalkaska on this morning. Sometime between 7:00 and 7:30 it went to No Signal. Had great signal previous to that.

Is this my problem or did something happen to 29 in Kalkaska?

Andy
post #1483 of 1760
Any word on when WPBN will sign 47 back on? Perhaps taking 29 down is a sign that's coming soon since I believe they're on the same antenna.

However, the FCC does not appear to have granted their permit yet, so maybe not.

- Trip
post #1484 of 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Any word on when WPBN will sign 47 back on? Perhaps taking 29 down is a sign that's coming soon since I believe they're on the same antenna.

However, the FCC does not appear to have granted their permit yet, so maybe not.

I rescanned just in case that was what was happening. No dice.

Can anyone confirm that its out? or that its on?
post #1485 of 1760
I did not see any signal on 47 or 50. I was seeing a weak signal on 7 still. In an email I got from WPBN, I was told that they would be making the switch mid to late November. I will worry that I can't still get NBC when I don't see any signal on 7 at all. Then again in about 3-4 weeks I will be getting digital cable (over phone lines) and DSL from Carr Internet.
post #1486 of 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post

I had 29.1 (ABC) out of Kalkaska on this morning. Sometime between 7:00 and 7:30 it went to No Signal. Had great signal previous to that.

Is this my problem or did something happen to 29 in Kalkaska?

Andy

I just checked the Tivo. I record Today off 29-2 (7-11am) and it only got the last 1 hour 50 minutes. The Rachel Ray recording on 29-1 at noon was ok.
post #1487 of 1760
WPBN may have killed 7 and increased power on 50. Last night before I went to bed I noticed a signal on 50 and no signal on 7. Also, I was getting in WZZM TV 13 (Grand Rapids ABC) and WCMV. If they did increase power as much as they are going to on 50, then I am disapointed. I can't get it in with a double bow tie antenna plugged into an amplifier. I doubt I am getting too strong of a signal either. At least I am getting digital cable through Carr Internet this week.
post #1488 of 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by cire2282 View Post

WPBN may have killed 7 and increased power on 50. Last night before I went to bed I noticed a signal on 50 and no signal on 7. Also, I was getting in WZZM TV 13 (Grand Rapids ABC) and WCMV. If they did increase power as much as they are going to on 50, then I am disapointed. I can't get it in with a double bow tie antenna plugged into an amplifier. I doubt I am getting too strong of a signal either. At least I am getting digital cable through Carr Internet this week.

I just did a bit of testing and 50 is still broadcasting from TC as is 7 from Harrietta. Unless WPBN/WGTU plan on folks getting NBC off 29.2 in the interim, 47 will need to start broadcasting from Kalkaska, before 50 moves to Harrietta. 47 is not up, yet. Lack of wind and leaves is helping reception, currently. I picked up a Milwaukee station this morning during a re-scan.
post #1489 of 1760
Thats what I figured, but I was hopefull.
post #1490 of 1760
Well my antenna days are all but over for now. Carr Telephone Company came and installed DSL and their TV service over the phone line. I can actually watch NBC again, plus the other shows. Don't know where to start really. Right now I am updating some programs.
post #1491 of 1760
What is your "actual" DSL speed, and how is the picture quality? Glad you got it installed.
post #1492 of 1760
Using http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ 601 kbps down and 388 kpbs up. I am assuming that we have the base package of 768 kbps down, but they never asked. Picture quality is good, no problems so far. I am using CRT TVs that are over 10 years old. The setup seems pretty straight foward. Just like getting DSL hooked up. The DSL modem is also a router. They ran CAT5 (I assume) from the modem/router to a small box that is hooked up to each TV. The DSL modem is a Speedtouch and the box that hooks into the TV is a Amino Anminet125
post #1493 of 1760
Thanks for the info, sounds like a good way to get TV and internet !
post #1494 of 1760
cire2282,
Are they able to do HD channels? I have Ace Comm's digital TV, phone and DSL (3 mbps down/512 kbps up) package. Their HD lineup is small, but growing. They added Big Ten Network recently to bring the total up to 6. No locals in HD, so my antennas are still flying.
post #1495 of 1760
I hate being out of reach of cable AND DSL.
post #1496 of 1760
Their channel lineup has the locals on HD, 23 other channels listed as available on HD, also they have several Showtime, TMC, STARZ, and ENCORE listed as available in HD. Their ABC station is WZZM out of Grand Rapids. Aeblank, don't feel bad. I live out in the sticks and it is only by chance that I have access to DSL and IPTV. There is a small telephone company that has it main office about .5 to 1 mile north of where I live.

"In 1912, the settlers organizes the first telephone company by selling stock among themselves. The telephone company known as Carr Telephone Company, is still operating with Mrs. Henry Bogner as the operator. The first `central' (so-called operator) was Mrs. Charles Carr whose husband was a direct descendant of Charles Carr, for whom the Settlement was named." (This was published in 1957)

http://www.ludingtonmichigan.net/carr.html
post #1497 of 1760
interesting...I've never heard of Cable TV running over phone lines. I always thought the only way cable worked was through (now) fiber lines.

But hey, that's just another technological thing.
post #1498 of 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianomany2k View Post

interesting...I've never heard of Cable TV running over phone lines. I always thought the only way cable worked was through (now) fiber lines.

But hey, that's just another technological thing.

AT&T U-Verse is trying that HD TV over the phone lines but it has a drawbackoff reduced internet while watching HD. AT&T uses fiber to node and twisted pair from node to house. The bright side is that AT&T u-verse is a better value than cable. Verizon (northeast states) has it right with fiber to house and then uses a box to convert to coax at the house. Obviously, fiber has more bandwidth.

Cable is limiting their competitiveness by holding onto analog cable TV so long.
post #1499 of 1760
Do people in the TC area that have high powered OTA setups pickup HD local channels from other cities besides TC? Like say Green Bay, Mt Pleasant, Grand Rapids?

I live right by the GTMall for reference.
post #1500 of 1760
WPBN just mentioned they will be making changes soon: http://www.upnorthlive.com/about/about.aspx?id=97103

Update: November 19, 2009

There are some updates being implemented in the coming days which will help boost our signal. So what this means for "you"? If you currently get our signal when the new equipment is installed it may mean you have to rescan if you have trouble with your television picture. If someone currently can't get our signal, they may now be able to after the switch. So please, if you have signal trouble, try re-scanning 'first' before calling the station. We will post updates when the equipment updates take place.


Here's their approved FCC application for ch. 47: https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws...&fac_num=21253

So, look for 47 @ 500 kW out of Kalkaska and 50 @ 15 kW from Harrietta.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Traverse City, MI - HDTV