or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Roanoke, VA / Bluefield, WV - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Roanoke, VA / Bluefield, WV - HDTV - Page 199

post #5941 of 6116
Thread Starter 
Is anyone else seeing WEFC-TV operating... on channel 25?

- Trip
post #5942 of 6116

I see it.  Their audio is horrible.  Where is the transmitter?

post #5943 of 6116
Thread Starter 
Smith Mountain.

The bigger problem is that their license is for channel 24, not 25. Their mask filter should be preventing them from operating on 25 at all. I'm now thinking they don't have one. And the station has no PSIP.

- Trip
post #5944 of 6116
I'm getting them here in Lynchburg on channel 25. Their station ID calls out channels 24 and 25 with different call letters. I don't see any energy on channel 24.
post #5945 of 6116
Thread Starter 
24 is definitely not on, and they hold no license for 25. The strength and quality look a lot like what I saw coming out of the channel 24 facility at Smith Mountain. Going to try to tune in near the top of the hour and look for the ID.

- Trip
post #5946 of 6116
Thread Starter 
They're claiming WEDD is on 25, but the license is for 26.

WEFCWEDD.png 286k .png file

- Trip
Edited by Trip in VA - 11/22/12 at 6:18am
post #5947 of 6116
well I have never received channel 24 here at my house so something is different. As far as what's going on you're the expert you tell us !smile.gif
post #5948 of 6116
Thread Starter 
They must be running a channel 25 transmitter off Poor Mountain.

- Trip
post #5949 of 6116
I heard they fired up 25 @ SML. It is owned by Jones Broadcasting. They have the license for that and WEDD-LP on Poor mt.
post #5950 of 6116
Thread Starter 
Not sure how peggy1 in Blacksburg could see it if it was coming off Smith Mountain.

- Trip
post #5951 of 6116
I'm receiving channel 25 in Lynchburg this morning, but just barely. Their banner says WEFC TV 24 / WEDD TV 25, Jones Broadcasting, Danville Roanoke Lynchburg, CVN.

I'm getting nothing on 24 or 26.
post #5952 of 6116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Not sure how peggy1 in Blacksburg could see it if it was coming off Smith Mountain.
- Trip

I don't know. I am confused with all of it.
post #5953 of 6116
Thread Starter 
On an unrelated note, it looks like ION has added back their 38-4 here (and on its other stations around the country). It's currently noted as "ISHOP" which sounds just gripping, but is actually airing the ION Life East feed. 38-3, which is normally ION Life East, appears to be running the ION Life West feed.

- Trip
post #5954 of 6116
Well, WEDD did have a displacement CP for the analog TX on 25 that has lapsed.
post #5955 of 6116
Thread Starter 
That's been expired for more than two years, and shortly thereafter, the 26 displacement was filed. Either way it's not a valid channel on which to operate.

- Trip
post #5956 of 6116
True. I was just looking for some thin thread that the operator might say to the FCC inspector. "You DID give us permission before. What's the big deal?"
post #5957 of 6116
Thread Starter 
I'm trying to make sure it isn't just me. I already PMed BlueRidgeEng.

Is anyone besides me seeing WBRA signal quality down significantly? According to my logger, it was normal at 1PM and bad by 2PM: http://kb8u.ham-radio-op.net/signal_graph/101B48F4/tuner1/WBRA

- Trip
post #5958 of 6116
Its back to normal for me. 26 DB SNR and 65 percent quality. It was unwatchable yesterday afternoon but now I am seeing very few decode errors. It has gotten to the point where I try to record PBS programs for later viewing. I try to choose a time early in the morning say around 2 or 3 a.m. and that seems to reduce the number of the decode errors per hour.
post #5959 of 6116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

I'm trying to make sure it isn't just me. I already PMed BlueRidgeEng.
Is anyone besides me seeing WBRA signal quality down significantly? According to my logger, it was normal at 1PM and bad by 2PM: http://kb8u.ham-radio-op.net/signal_graph/101B48F4/tuner1/WBRA
- Trip

Thanks again for letting me know. Made a trip to the mountain, switched exciters and made a couple of tweaks and it looks like we are at least back where we were. Still need some changes on the mountain to get a better signal out.

David
post #5960 of 6116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-N2 View Post

Its back to normal for me. 26 DB SNR and 65 percent quality. It was unwatchable yesterday afternoon but now I am seeing very few decode errors. It has gotten to the point where I try to record PBS programs for later viewing. I try to choose a time early in the morning say around 2 or 3 a.m. and that seems to reduce the number of the decode errors per hour.

Thanks for the info Pete, make sure to send me a message if it gets bad and I can take a look to see if I can help. Can never have too much information.

David
post #5961 of 6116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

That's been expired for more than two years, and shortly thereafter, the 26 displacement was filed. Either way it's not a valid channel on which to operate.
- Trip

On Poor Mountain (WEDD-LP), from what I understand it was supposed to be 25 but they changed it to 26 and supposedly put a new antenna according to the FCC filings. The owner did say he was lighting it off soon, with a new transmitter, guess he was right, now I guess he needs to be on the right channel.
As far as what I have heard about WEFC he is going to be installing a bigger transmitter along with a larger building, so I am guessing it will take some time for that to be up and running. I am assuming he will operate the present site since he put in another transmitter to replace the one that was left behind.
He is coming along with the studio site at the old Cinema Grill/WDRL location at CrossRoads Mall. Always activity when I have driven past.

David
post #5962 of 6116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Is anyone else seeing WEFC-TV operating... on channel 25?
- Trip

I just tuned in channel 25 with rabbit ears from my house in Cave Spring, so that is definitely the Poor Mountain site. Channel 24 is the Smith Mountain site and they should still have the mask filter there that was left over from previous ownership. I do not know what they have on Poor Mountain, never got the nickel tour after WDRL's microwave equipment was removed.

David
post #5963 of 6116
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidgeEng View Post

Thanks for the info Pete, make sure to send me a message if it gets bad and I can take a look to see if I can help. Can never have too much information.
David

No change in the signal quality here but I notice the PSIP clock is off a couple of minutes again. Is that related to swapping out the exciters or a totally separate issue. (The PSIP clock will become a concern next April after Alan turns off TVGOS)
post #5964 of 6116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-N2 View Post

No change in the signal quality here but I notice the PSIP clock is off a couple of minutes again. Is that related to swapping out the exciters or a totally separate issue. (The PSIP clock will become a concern next April after Alan turns off TVGOS)

PSIP Click unrelated to the exciter change. I will look into the clock issue again, I realize their will be a lot of people using that a reference once TVGOS goes away.

David
post #5965 of 6116

Today, channel 25 is gone, but I get a very weak signal on 26.  It's unwatchable, but it's there.

post #5966 of 6116
Thread Starter 
Yep, I see it at my parents' house.

- Trip
post #5967 of 6116
I am seeing channel 26 WEDD here at my house in Cave Spring. Looks like a pretty solid signal, no break ups, audio sounds ok. Looks like he is on the right channel now.

David
post #5968 of 6116
It looks like wbra went off the air this morning at 248 a.m.
post #5969 of 6116
They are back. David, what happened?
post #5970 of 6116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-N2 View Post

They are back. David, what happened?

Had a breaker for the transmitter trip and it is one of the few items not remote capable. Very high winds and snow and ice on the mountain. Should be good now.

David
Edited by BlueRidgeEng - 12/29/12 at 6:59pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Roanoke, VA / Bluefield, WV - HDTV