or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › UnOfficial MyHD MDP-120/DVI card thread - part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

UnOfficial MyHD MDP-120/DVI card thread - part 2 - Page 2

post #31 of 4207
"how do i retain my channel list(s) ?"

Ben, use Regedit to save the MyHD branch of the registry before you uninstall MyHD. Then, after installing the update, double-click on the .REG file you created to restore the MyHD branch. (You may also need to change FPM, for example, to make up for new behavior in the beta)
post #32 of 4207
Correction to what I originally wrote. It also won't FF/REW in the last chapter of a movie played on a DVD. Still suggests that the problem is not unique to the beta software and allows for the possibility that the file I was watching was a single file so the lack of FF/REW may have been because it was a last file rather than one with lots of errors in it.

Quote:


Originally posted by tji
The first beta for the new release has been very impressive.. I have played several DVD's and had no major playback issues.

The one minor annoyance that I noticed was an old problem: the FF/REW stopped working. I would see FF or REW on the OSD, but it would have no effect on playback. Anyone else run into this?

I was on vacation during the short beta period so I have the older software. However, I noticed that when playing back recorded shows the FF/REW doesn't work on HD files with signal break-up (recordings made during a storm while I was on vacation). Thus I suspect that it may be a problem specific to the integrity of the file being played (some files will play fine, other's with something "nonstandard" will not FF/REW) and not necessarilly introduced with the beta software.

Oh how I envy those of you who were able to get the beta software!
post #33 of 4207
i didn't realize that it wasn't available any longer...
post #34 of 4207
Hey all,

I just picked up one of these cards and pretty much have everything figure out except that screen caps on 1080i feeds come out as 1440x1080? 720p feeds come out as 1280x720 which I assume is correct.

Also the OSD text and volume seems to stop showing up on the screen after a while. The remote works for the volume, it just doesn't display the text or the volume bar in full or window mode.

Using version 1.61.1u

Thanks for the help.
post #35 of 4207
ok, just saw that you can "save" your channel listings to files and then load them...that is exactly what i wanted...an enhancement would be to be able to "merge" them, but maybe this way is best, point the antenna and load only those channels for that azimuth.
post #36 of 4207
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Q
You can stray from the topic. After all this is the UNofficial MYHD thread

See If your cable company offers the Sci Atl Explorer 8000HD then you can record for later watching as that is a DVR.
If I had that choice in my area, that is what I would do.

Voom will make the stream available sometime in the future - getting that info from folks reporting back from CES.



As far as your question about ditching DISH, it is the principle of the thing.
I have a model 6000 and 2 Model 5000's with almost the full programming package from DISH and have been a customer for 5 years.


Both of those 5000's are going to be useless for recording HD as that is all I use them for and DISH could care less. They are not making any upgrade offers except for a $149 upgrade to the model 821 which is nothing more than a newer version of the 6000 which I already have one of.

My 5000's will be as useful to me as a boat anchor.

Joe

Understood - it's hard to keep supporting a company that doesn't take care of loyal customers. With the income they get from subscription fees you'd think they'd be willing to do free or heavily discounted upgrades to keep customers.

I thought about the 8000HD but didn't want to own yet another piece of home theater equipment when MyHD pretty much does everything I need... and it's nice having all my recorded material in one place, and portable if I need it.

Bill
post #37 of 4207
Quote:
Originally posted by bl123
I thought about the 8000HD but didn't want to own yet another piece of home theater equipment when MyHD pretty much does everything I need... and it's nice having all my recorded material in one place, and portable if I need it.

Bill

Now you really lost me.

Our discussion started because you originally asked how I was recording HBO since you wanted to be able to and MYHD does not do cable.

You ditch the Sci Atl 3100HD STB that you have and get the 8000HD which is a DVR.
You will not be adding another piece of HT equipment.

How can MYHD do most of what you need when all it can do is record OTA and NOT cable?
post #38 of 4207
After watching several DVD's using the Beta release, with no problems.. I ran into one that seemed to have the issue of a dropout on scene changes.

The DVD was "Cube 2: Hypercube" (the movie nowhere near as good as the first movie). It dropped out several times on scene changes. The video would stop for a second, the DD indicator on my stereo would go out, then it would recover.

Has anyone else seen this with the beta version?
post #39 of 4207
Quote:
Originally posted by tji
After watching several DVD's using the Beta release, with no problems.. I ran into one that seemed to have the issue of a dropout on scene changes.

The DVD was "Cube 2: Hypercube" (the movie nowhere near as good as the first movie). It dropped out several times on scene changes. The video would stop for a second, the DD indicator on my stereo would go out, then it would recover.

Has anyone else seen this with the beta version?

Cube 1 was one of the worst movies of all times so the dopouts on Cube 2 were doing you a favor. It was dropping you a hint. Turn me off
post #40 of 4207
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Q
Now you really lost me.

Our discussion started because you originally asked how I was recording HBO since you wanted to be able to and MYHD does not do cable.

You ditch the Sci Atl 3100HD STB that you have and get the 8000HD which is a DVR.
You will not be adding another piece of HT equipment.

How can MYHD do most of what you need when all it can do is record OTA and NOT cable?

Good point - I should have said that MyHD *could* do what I need if I could get the digital stream out of the cable box into MyHD similar to the way you described with dish. Obviously what I want and what I can get are two different things at the moment. Sorry for the confusing statement.

Your point that the 8000 would replace the existing 3100HD is also a good one. Maybe I should take another look.

Bill
post #41 of 4207
Does anyone have a copy of the MDP-120 Beta 1.62.3 software that can be posted for download? I have been trying to find it since the released version does not play DVD's from a file very well....no menu

The orginal software is not on the website anymore

From the posts I beleive it will allows playing back DVD's from a file.

Thanks

Chris
post #42 of 4207
Probably not. It had so many bugs that it is being redone.
post #43 of 4207
Quote:
Originally posted by nemodallas
Does anyone have a copy of the MDP-120 Beta 1.62.3 software that can be posted for download? I have been trying to find it since the released version does not play DVD's from a file very well....no menu

The orginal software is not on the website anymore

From the posts I beleive it will allows playing back DVD's from a file.

Thanks

Chris

I have a copy and I'm sure many of us do. It's definitely better at DVD playback but is not without other problems - I am still using it as I still feel it's better than the alternatives. I have no idea why they chose to pull the beta from distribution - if it was my software I'd want as many people testing it as possible. With beta code I thought the understanding was that you get what you get, and they don't even have to listen to your complaints if they don't want to, so I don't see the down side to leaving it out there. Even if there are a ton of bugs, they can filter the bug reports to focus on the issues that are important.

I know I'd be pretty frustrated if I missed the window on this beta release.

I don't know if I have the right to pass the beta code on to you since it's not my software, so I'm reluctantly choosing not to do so. I don't know if you will get anywhere with whoever you bought the hardware from, but my recommendation would be to push that path first.

Bill
post #44 of 4207
"I don't know if you will get anywhere with whoever you bought the hardware from, but my recommendation would be to push that path first."

The currently "released" and supported version of the software can be downloaded from here: http://www.digitalconnection.com/Sup...#Video%20Cards
post #45 of 4207
I just ordered the 120 finally. I have the latest revision on my HTPC. Do I install the version that comes with the card or install the latest beta version?
post #46 of 4207
Quote:
Originally posted by rgathright
I just ordered the 120 finally. I have the latest revision on my HTPC. Do I install the version that comes with the card or install the latest beta version?

I just installed a new card last week. Use the one linked in Cliff's post above yours. It's newer than the one that comes with the card.

BTW, I'd suggest installing it using a separate monitor to display your computer desktop. The hardest part of the entire process is getting your computer desktop to display on your TV, and by using a separate monitor you can make sure everything is working besides the resolution to your TV.

I must say after reading all the posts in this forum I was very concerned I would have an installation headache. In fact, after installing the card, drivers and software I was able to view HDTV on my TV immediately. The difficult part was setting the resolution for the Windows desktop to display on the TV using the loop through cable.

As to computer resolution here's what I did. Right click on the desktop, select properties to bring up the Display Properties box. Select the Settings tab and then click "Advanced." Click the Adapter tab, then click "List All Modes." Select 640 x 480 at 60 Hertz. Hit Okay until XP changes your resolution to that setting.

To get a higher resolution that does not overscan, try then buy Powerstrip. Set 640 x 480 as your default resolution in Powerstrip, and that way by hitting Ctrl-Alt-S you can switch back to that setting if a new resolution you try doesn't work. For my TV one of the "HDTV Derived" settings gave the best resolution without overscan.
post #47 of 4207
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson
"I don't know if you will get anywhere with whoever you bought the hardware from, but my recommendation would be to push that path first."

The currently "released" and supported version of the software can be downloaded from here: http://www.digitalconnection.com/Sup...#Video%20Cards

yeah but he was requesting the unsupported beta release... BTW Cliff, have they given any hint as to the next release date?

thx
Bill
post #48 of 4207
I've had MyHD for over 18 months (I'm not a newbie). Anyway, about 2 months ago I pulled my 120 card out of my HTPC in favor of accessDTV (I was watching many shows "live" and the pause feature let me start 10 minutes in and continue without commercials). Anyway, I decided today to put the Myhd card in my other networked computer (a Dell Precision 350) which has had a Myhd 100 card working in it in the past. I put the 120 in today and can't get overlay video or audio thru my PC speakers. I've got a digital channel showing 87 percent and if I play a recorded file, it seems to be playing fine (FF, REW, etc.) but still no audio or overlay video. I don't have a vga cable to try HD video. For the audio I've tried wave with and without cable, dolby and stereo. Overlay video is set to default VOP 30 fields/sec. Thanks in advance for any help.
p.s. I even tried removing software and driver and trying 1.60. Got same results so went back to 1.6x from 12/23/03
post #49 of 4207
Right after that previous post, I went back to the app. Switching to ant2 gave me A02 analog station (showed no-signal) but I did get a burst of static noise thru my speakers for a second or so. Went back to Ant1 and then got a Blue Screen of Death - error MDP100_XP.sys address F7463D2E base at F7455000. Had to reboot. Thoughts?
post #50 of 4207
Quote:
Originally posted by sdf777
Right after that previous post, I went back to the app. Switching to ant2 gave me A02 analog station (showed no-signal) but I did get a burst of static noise thru my speakers for a second or so. Went back to Ant1 and then got a Blue Screen of Death - error MDP100_XP.sys address F7463D2E base at F7455000. Had to reboot. Thoughts?

Sounds like the MDP-120 doesn't like that PCI slot for some reason--or isn't fully inserted? I suggest trying a different slot.

BTW, I don't understand your comment about VGA cable--do you mean that you don't have the passthrough cable with which to hook up your computer's display to the HD output or what?
post #51 of 4207
I need help connecting my MyHD card to my tv (pioneer elite 530HD) and my pc monitor at the same time. I finally got the DVI cable I ordered and when I plug it in to the tv it shuts down my computer monitor. What settings do I need to set MyHD to to be able to use my pc and see the MyHD output on my tv at the same time? A couple of times I got it to work by just unplugging and plugging the cable back in, but not anymore.
post #52 of 4207
Quote:
Originally posted by TPeterson
Sounds like the MDP-120 doesn't like that PCI slot for some reason--or isn't fully inserted? I suggest trying a different slot.

BTW, I don't understand your comment about VGA cable--do you mean that you don't have the passthrough cable with which to hook up your computer's display to the HD output or what?

I'll try another slot - I'm sure it's seated ok. About the cable, my 20" plasma uses DVI and I don't have a vga cable for passthrough or otherwise. I don't plan on using this computer for playback, so HD mode not neccessary.
post #53 of 4207
Quote:
Originally posted by kcn823
I need help connecting my MyHD card to my tv...and my pc monitor at the same time.... What settings do I need to set MyHD to to be able to use my pc and see the MyHD output on my tv at the same time?

KC--

Make sure that "Using Separate Monitor" is checked on the "VGA Setup" tab of the MyHD configuration Control Panel.
post #54 of 4207
after using the myhd mdp-100 for about a year, i finally upgraded to the mdp-120, mainly for the dvi-passthrough and the better reception (and the better analog cable reception was a plus). luckily, i had a copy of my pre-mdp-100 system ghosted, so i was able to install the mdp-120 "from scratch".

i'm happy with the 120 so far. the dvi passthrough is great, the reception is better (not as much as i hoped--i was getting 30-50%, now it 40-60%), and the analog cable reception is much better. but i have noticed a couple of things. i did some searches in the old "official" thread but didn't find any answers.

my system:
asus p4b266 (845d motherboard)
1.8a ghz p4, 512mb ram
xp pro
ati radeon 9000
on-board c-media sound
sanyo plv-70
myhd driver v1.62.3.11
myhd app v1.62.2-us

i have a vga-cable from the radeon to a crt monitor, a dvi-cable from the radeon to the mdp-120 daughtercard, then a dvi-cable from the mdp-120 daughtercard to the projector.

1) i connected the ota antenna to antenna 1, and reception was fine. when i connected analog cable to antenna 2, reception on antenna 1 went to 0 (i didn't even switch inputs--just plugging the cable in made it go to 0). i switched the ota antenna to antenna 2 and the analog cable to antenna 1, and everything went back to normal.

2) in my previous set-up with the mdp-100, i had a vga-cable from radeon to crt monitor, dvi-cable from radeon to plv-70 projector, and vga-cable from mdp-100 to plv-70 projector, and i had "separate monitor" checked. i could switch the desktop from monitor to projector by hitting alt-f5, and i could switch the projector from desktop to fullscreen by changing the projector input.

now, with the mdp-120 and the dvi-daughtercard (connections described above), i can switch from desktop to fullscreen just by hitting the hd button on the remote. it's great, because it was always a pain to switch inputs on the projector (involved several steps, going through the projector menu). however, i can no longer switch to the crt monitor by hitting alt-f5, and when i look at the radeon settings under the "display" tab, everything is grayed out--i can't select two monitors like before.

that's a pain because sometimes i like to work on the htpc without having to fire up the projector. i made the mistake of trying to enable "separate monitor" to see if that would fix things and realized that i was stuck in fullscreen mode (had to plug the projector directly into the radeon to unselect that).

3) maybe related to #2, when i boot up the computer, the projector output is blank. i have to start myhd (hitting the power button on the remote) and then the dvi-passthrough works, even if i subsequently shut down myhd. so it looks like the passthrough doesn't work unless it's been enabled by the myhd app at least once...?

4) with the mdp-100, i used to be able to get spdif sound through my motherboard's spdif output by checking wave and selecting the spdif option in the pulldown menu. that doesn't seem to work with the mdp-120. spdif directly from the mdp-120 works fine, though. not a big deal, but it would be cool if i could fire up myhd without having to change any inputs (with the mdp-100 it was always an ordeal to fire up myhd, switch the video input on the projector, then switch the audio input on my receiver).

other than those things, i like the mdp-120 much better than the mdp-100. anyone have any experience with those issues? sorry if it was covered in the other thread, but i didn't see anything in my searches or in the manual.

thanks,
bob
post #55 of 4207
Quote:
Originally posted by bbobbo

3) maybe related to #2, when i boot up the computer, the projector output is blank. i have to start myhd (hitting the power button on the remote) and then the dvi-passthrough works, even if i subsequently shut down myhd. so it looks like the passthrough doesn't work unless it's been enabled by the myhd app at least once...?


Wanted to highlight this as I'm having the same problem. Others have described your sound problem (wave,spdif not working) though I don't have it. Think it may be soundcard specific and Cliff may have written up something on it in the beta thread.
jb
post #56 of 4207
bob--

I don't have the DVI daughterboard on my MDP-120, but what you describe doesn't sound like normally operating hw. Have you called DC (assuming you purchased from them) Tech Support 800# ? That's what I would try in your shoes.
post #57 of 4207
sdf777: Using v1.60 with DVI just might be a problem... You might need v1.61 or later.
post #58 of 4207
Regarding the 1.6.3 Beta....It was excellent to finally have 1080i DVD playback!!!

But...I'm back to 1.6.2.1.

The only reason I had to go back was that KABC 7 in Los Angeles would have no audio in playback. (This station is known for it's audio problems ;o) It is 5.1...possibly the only one to do so out here.....Also 720P. I was relieved that trusty 1.6.2.1 plays all the recordings fine.

Being a beta, I'm not complaining at all...In fact I want to thank CW and all the others that are working on getting us up res DVD playback

I look forward to the official release.
post #59 of 4207
Quote:


Originally posted by StormCrow
Regarding the 1.6.3 Beta....It was excellent to finally have 1080i DVD playback!!!

But...I'm back to 1.6.2.1.

The only reason I had to go back was that KABC 7 in Los Angeles would have no audio in playback. (This station is known for it's audio problems ;o) It is 5.1...possibly the only one to do so out here.....Also 720P. I was relieved that trusty 1.6.2.1 plays all the recordings fine.

Being a beta, I'm not complaining at all...In fact I want to thank CW and all the others that are working on getting us up res DVD playback

I look forward to the official release.

Try 1.6.3.mumble beta again, and change the file play mode (FPM) setting in the registry to 1 or 2 (I think--not at the HTPC right now). Not 0, and not 4, anyway. In the old official thread(s), I'd posted of similar problems with ABC (LA and San Diego), with no audio playback. Changing the file play mode did the trick.

BTW, there is plenty of 5.1 audio over the air in LA...try CSI, or Soundstage or "Jakers!", a CGI animation thing on KCET.
post #60 of 4207
Anyone know when a new beta will be released? I missed the last beta and I'm looking forward to being able to play DVD's through MyHD.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › UnOfficial MyHD MDP-120/DVI card thread - part 2