or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › UnOfficial MyHD MDP-120/DVI card thread - part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

UnOfficial MyHD MDP-120/DVI card thread - part 2 - Page 136

post #4051 of 4207
If you're running the latest MyHD sw and a digital auto scan doesn't find the channel there's almost certainly something funky about the station's TS and other tuners are also having trouble with it. Let the station know that your "HDTV tuner" can't find their channel and they'll likely look into the problem. (This was recently the situation at the main Boston PBS station, BTW and they did fix it after some MyHD--and other--user complaints)
post #4052 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post


I am pretty sure right now that the clicking I'm hearing when my receiver re-synchronizes to S/PDIF input is anomalous - I think ithe receiver (Kenwood VR6070) is defective. When I bought it there was a lot of excitement about it and a huge thread, which I copied to my PC. It's around 345 pages, and I just searched it for "click" and am satisfied my problem wasn't universal. Well, it's well past warranty now. I was thinking of getting another receiver, so this is another reason to renew that project. I haven't given up on it yet, though. Next strategy vis a vis MyHD sound is to figure out how to get digital sound through my soundcard, as you say.

Hi,

I sometimes get this clicking when using sound card SPDIF out.

In EVERY case so far, restarting my HTPC has cleared it up.

I have not identified the process (Windows Service) that sometimes gets started that hogs the CPU on a short repeating cycle causing breaks in the SPDIF output stream.

I really do NOT think that you have a defective receiver!

Your HTPC is not sending a continuous SPDIF stream that is needed for the clicking to not appear.

There are many Web pages for unneeded Windows Services, the following popped up with a search.

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

I have seen many others.

Stephen H. Fischer
post #4053 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post

Hi,

I sometimes get this clicking when using sound card SPDIF out.

In EVERY case so far, restarting my HTPC has cleared it up.

I have not identified the process (Windows Service) that sometimes gets started that hogs the CPU on a short repeating cycle causing breaks in the SPDIF output stream.

I really do NOT think that you have a defective receiver!

Your HTPC is not sending a continuous SPDIF stream that is needed for the clicking to not appear.

There are many Web pages for unneeded Windows Services, the following popped up with a search.

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

I have seen many others.

Stephen H. Fischer

Thanks for this encouraging news. I used to visit Black Viper's website frequently in order to get some idea on configuring my Windows Services. I always liked his style, although he was fairly terse and usually didn't go into much detail concerning his determinations of what services are necessary, sometimes necessary, usually totally unnecessary. At least he seemed to have a good grasp of the whys and wherefores. I've seen some disparaging remarks more recently concerning his site. I know there are other guides out there. I think there's probably a workaround for my problems and I'll keep looking for it. What I've got now isn't a big problem. I am experiencing some bad lip synch on live TV now, but I guess that's probably a different issue!
post #4054 of 4207
The poor lip sync (assuming that you see it on all channels rather than just one or two) is likely a configuration issue with that sound card again.
post #4055 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

The poor lip sync (assuming that you see it on all channels rather than just one or two) is likely a configuration issue with that sound card again.

I'm not sure about that yet.

Just after I hear the clicking when I have the MyHD in S/PDIF output mode, (generally a couple of clicks, rather annoying), a message appears on the receiver's display for 3-4 seconds:

Dialnorm Offset -2db

or

Dialnorm Offset -5db

I even saw this one yesterday:

Dialnorm Offset -27 db

Is that any clue concerning this problem? I always figured it was, but didn't know what to make of it. I've taken to using S/PDIF out again, because the garbled sound in PC Soundcard mode has returned.
post #4056 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post

I even saw this one yesterday:

Dialnorm Offset -27 db

That's odd. I thought that Dialnorm was a volume equalization method used by broadcasters. Take a look at this thread. It seems odd that the Dialnorm info is making it to your receiver.

-Dave
post #4057 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPlettner View Post

That's odd. I thought that Dialnorm was a volume equalization method used by broadcasters. Take a look at this thread. It seems odd that the Dialnorm info is making it to your receiver.

-Dave

I don't know if the dialnorm info is making it to my receiver. It might just be saying those things. In any case, for the time being I'm having good luck using PC Soundcard Dolby Stereo. I was getting garbled sound but it inexplicably cleared up.

I have a question: Some applications (for instance, Winamp) have an option to Stay On Top, so that if another application gets focus, the application (say, Winamp) will remain visible. You can toggle this behavior on and off pretty easily. Is there a way I can make the MDP overlay window (when it's not maximized) stay-on-top? Then I could do other computer stuff and maximize MyHD only when the programming I'm interested in returns (e.g. after commercial, etc.). Thanks.
post #4058 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post


I have a question: Some applications (for instance, Winamp) have an option to Stay On Top, so that if another application gets focus, the application (say, Winamp) will remain visible. You can toggle this behavior on and off pretty easily. Is there a way I can make the MDP overlay window (when it's not maximized) stay-on-top? Then I could do other computer stuff and maximize MyHD only when the programming I'm interested in returns (e.g. after commercial, etc.). Thanks.

Ah, I found it:

Control Panel
VGA tab
"Keep video on top"
Check!
post #4059 of 4207
I am rebuilding/upgrading my HTPC and have question. I am planning on getting this card and need to know if the MyHD will work with it and how to hook it up.

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16814102102
post #4060 of 4207
You mean, aside from the honking fan...?

No relevant experience here.
post #4061 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post

I am rebuilding/upgrading my HTPC and have question. I am planning on getting this card and need to know if the MyHD will work with it and how to hook it up.

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16814102102

It really shouldn't matter what video card you get since MyHD doesn't really do anything with the video card except use it for overlays, which will work with any modern video card. Chose the video card based on your needs (games, HD video decoding, etc.), price, and fan/no fan. I personally always chose a card with no fan or a fan that can be controlled, but then I don't use it for gaming.
post #4062 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedavis76 View Post

I personally always chose a card with no fan or a fan that can be controlled, but then I don't use it for gaming.

I'll 2nd this. The computers that I've built for TV/music type entertainment are pretty much silent. I use Antic Sonata cases, way oversize CPU heatsinks, no fan MB's and the best no fan video cards I can find. When I switch from TV to Classical music I don't hear any fans. These computers are installed in normal living areas with my AV components.

If I were a gamer, the machine would be dedicated to gaming, fans everywhere. It would make more noise than my motorcycles.

Mike Cocorochio
post #4063 of 4207
Hmmm - these cards are made mainly for HD and in choosing the 2600 instead of the 2900 I did not think the fan would be an issue.
post #4064 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post

I am rebuilding/upgrading my HTPC and have question. I am planning on getting this card and need to know if the MyHD will work with it and how to hook it up.

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16814102102

If you plan to use the DVI passthrough of the MyHD DVI daughter card, the specs for the chips on the card state that the maximum resolution is 1600x1200. However, I think many people have no problem pushing the max to 1920x1200, which is still supported by single-link DVI.

I do not believe that the DVI card supports dual-link DVI. Therefore, if you plan to use a resolution higher than 1920x1200, you should use a dual monitor configuration in MyHD, and switch between MyHD and your video card at the monitor or using a DVI switcher. Note that this is not really an issue related to the VGA card, but the monitor you plan to use.

I am not sure whether anyone has tested HDCP passthrough with the MyHD DVI card, but I do not see why it would not work.

-Dave
post #4065 of 4207
This is how I had it setup previously with my Sony HDTV. I ran component from the MyHD to one input and then ran component from the video card to another input. I would just get everything setup and running using Windows then switch to the other input. I also had both the MyHD and the video card audio sent separately to my A/V receiver also.

Would this setup still work with the new video card? The only difference would be that my new video card will be connected to the HDTV via HDMI instead of component.
post #4066 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post

This is how I had it setup previously with my Sony HDTV. I ran component from the MyHD to one input and then ran component from the video card to another input. I would just get everything setup and running using Windows then switch to the other input. I also had both the MyHD and the video card audio sent separately to my A/V receiver also.

Would this setup still work with the new video card? The only difference would be that my new video card will be connected to the HDTV via HDMI instead of component.

Given your description above, MyHD will work great. One advantage of the MyHD card is that it really does not care what video card you are using when you are in HD mode and sending the signal directly from MyHD to the TV.

On the other hand, if you want to have overlay on and do a full-stream QAM capture (or time shift), you might have issues with any card. My old system can do all these things at once, but I have seen reports of newer systems that stutter when you enable the MyHD features that use a lot of PCI bandwidth. However, for basic recording and playback using the MyHD component outputs, it will work great.

Of course, there are also the dual-core/HT issues discussed in the MetaFAQ. If you old system was a single CPU without HT and your new system has dual-core or HT, you should be aware of the limitations and workarounds.

-Dave
post #4067 of 4207
Assuming no hw resource conflicts (a low probability) or ATI driver glitches (which, as Dave says, would only affect the overlay and are likely fixable), yes, it will work as you anticipate.
post #4068 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPlettner View Post

Of course, there are also the dual-core/HT issues discussed in the MetaFAQ. If you old system was a single CPU without HT and your new system has dual-core or HT, you should be aware of the limitations and workarounds.

-Dave

My new system will be using a Intel e6750 dual-core CPU. I am not getting it mainly for doing 2 items at once, but everyone as told me that the dual-core processors are a lot better than the single ones are.
post #4069 of 4207
"Better" for what? There are definite downsides (i.e., unavailable features) when using dual-core CPUs with MyHD, as is documented in the MetaFAQ and links.
post #4070 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

"Better" for what? There are definite downsides (i.e., unavailable features) when using dual-core CPUs with MyHD, as is documented in the MetaFAQ and links.

I believe the entire HTPC system which would also include some gaming. At first I was going to just upgrade to a higher ghz single processor. With the price cuts coming out later this month everyone was pushing me toward the dual core instead.

I will need to read the MetaFAQ. If the problems involve QAM recording and timeshifting I will not have a problem. I use only Directv and will not be doing any timeshifting.
post #4071 of 4207
The unavailable features are mainly LAN file play/recording, DVD play, and DVHS functions.
post #4072 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

The unavailable features are mainly LAN file play/recording, DVD play, and DVHS functions.

Then I will have not problems then. I do not know what LAN file play/recording is, my DVD play is being handled now with a Panny Blu-ray and the new setup will have a HD-DVD burner in it and I do not have nor need a DVHS player.

I use the MyHD only to record/playback the OTA-HD signals.
post #4073 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

You mean, aside from the honking fan...?

No relevant experience here.

Would this one be better as far as the noise?

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/...e=GV-RX26T256H
post #4074 of 4207
"Silent-Pipe II Technology"

Well...it looks good on paper...er, on screen.
post #4075 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post

Would this one be better as far as the noise?

For noise, my video cards are hard to beat. I have a couple of Ti4600 Nvidia cards that are supported by fanless Zalman heatpipes (no fan = NO noise)

I also have a BFG 6600GT AGP card whose stock fan is amazingly quiet, and this is the one I'm currently using in my HTPC/everyday PC. It's dual DVI output. I was scouting around for a silent solution for it when I was waiting for it to arrive, but found to my amazement and delight that I couldn't hear it at all above the other sounds in the box, which are nothing substantial. When I do HTPC with the box I never notice the noise. Hope the fan doesn't die. I have reasons to suspect that it is dieing (has been making some odd sounds on startup for a while), but after a couple of years or so it's still chugging, making it the longest lived BFG supplied fan I've had so far... fingers crossed.

Really, for HTPC stuff the Ti4600 AGP cards (also BFG), were adequate, and I'm still using one in my second box. They just don't support dual DVI, and I like that for my dual view graphics which I do occasionally.
post #4076 of 4207
I think that the Ti nVidia cards also don't support DxVA, isn't that right? That's not an issue for MyHD viewing, of course, but it does limit the quality of HD sw playback, such as by TheaterTek or FusionHDTV.
post #4077 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

I think that the Ti nVidia cards also don't support DxVA, isn't that right? That's not an issue for MyHD viewing, of course, but it does limit the quality of HD sw playback, such as by TheaterTek or FusionHDTV.

First I've heard of DxVA, Terry. I almost got TheaterTek but when MDP introduced timeshifting, I couldn't justify it. Do you have to have a Fusion card for FusionHDTV?
post #4078 of 4207
Yes, FusionHDTV requires a Fusion unit to run, but there are many sw players that use the hardware acceleration of DxVA if available, including MS WMP, Media Player Classic, Zoom Player, etc., etc. TT and Fusion were just the first to mind.
post #4079 of 4207
I am thinking of building a HTPC based on a mini itx motherboard and I'm wondering if you have heard of anybody who has done this and successfully install MYHD into their system.

This is a question for anybody to answer and so any info about mini itx mobo's and MYHD would would help.

robertpcx
post #4080 of 4207
Does anyone have the new ATI HD2600 video cards and MyHD?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › UnOfficial MyHD MDP-120/DVI card thread - part 2