or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Remote Control Area › Harmony H688
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Harmony H688 - Page 3  

post #61 of 330
I don't know, but I don't think they were ever made here
post #62 of 330
I don't think that I have seen this posted elsewhere, but Harmony has a 688 user manual at the following url:

http://www.harmonyremote.com/Downloa...ser_Manual.pdf

Final design seems to show the same pic that has been floating around for a while (with the volume controls on the left with the new center "ok" button.)

Regards,
Matt
post #63 of 330
Im kinda glad I picked up the 659... It would be nice to have the play,ff,rw buttons up higher but man that center cirle of buttons would be very hard to train yourself where everything is and its going to be next to impossible to "feel" the right button where atleast all the buttons on the 659 are actual buttons.


If the activity buttons light up (which probably will but you cant tell from the current pics) that would be an improvement over the 659 already but I dont think I could live with the center circle of buttons.
post #64 of 330
Thread Starter 
Harmony (Intrigue Technologies, Inc.) has just updated its web site. For starters, all remotes are now renamed! Instead of "SST-", they now use "H" prefix. SST-659 is now H659. There is plenty of information about the new 688, which is now called H688, including comparison tables, and even a test-drive!

http://www.harmonyremote.com/images/...-glowimage.jpg

FYI: I am going to rename this thread, to reflect the name change...
post #65 of 330
According to an email I got from Harmony, the H688 will be widely available after April 15, and should hit Best Buy by the end of the month. Last I heard, MSRP was $229.
post #66 of 330
Quote:
Originally posted by bfdtv
According to an email I got from Harmony, the H688 will be widely available after April 15, and should hit Best Buy by the end of the month. Last I heard, MSRP was $229.
I'd heard $229 also, but the website now lists it for $249 (ouch, pretty steep considering the very similar H659 is listed for $109 new and $110 refurb)
post #67 of 330
Quote:
Originally posted by davisdog
I'd heard $229 also, but the website now lists it for $249 (ouch, pretty steep considering the very similar H659 is listed for $109 new and $110 refurb)
Well, Harmony sells the 659 for $199 and any authorized dealer lists it for $189 (athough you can contact them for better pricing), so $229's probably the minimum an authorized dealer can advertise it for. You can probably expect the 688 to ultimately sell for about $50 more than a 659 (which is about $120 from an authorized dealer). Reading through this thread, the only advantage of the 688 is the button placement for Tivo, so if you don't need or care about that, the 659's the way to go.
post #68 of 330
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom_E316
Reading through this thread, the only advantage of the 688 is the button placement for Tivo, so if you don't need or care about that, the 659's the way to go.
That's right. But since virtually all satellite and cable companies are coming out with their versions of PVRs/DVRs this year, this becomes a must-have feature!
post #69 of 330
Here's an important question...

Black or Silver?

I wish they didnt give us a choice...
post #70 of 330
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by davisdog
Here's an important question...
Black or Silver?
I wish they didnt give us a choice...
That's an easy one for most of us: ask your wife!
She will tell you right away! :)
post #71 of 330
Quote:
Originally posted by IlyaV
That's an easy one for most of us: ask your wife!
She will tell you right away! :)
Ah good point!...I just asked and she says Silver (although she's admits to not being to hard and fast on the color of the remote compared to some other decorator type designs around the house :)
post #72 of 330
I'll ask the cats!!!!!!! They know all about this sort of thing:)


Cheers,
Geoffrey
post #73 of 330
Our dog is a black lab, so he's partial to the black remote... although the wife has veto authority
post #74 of 330
I just talked to Harmony sales and was told all the U.S. preorders from Harmony were shipping 4/15-4/16 out of California. :) I paid $199 plus $15 for shipping.
post #75 of 330
Quote:
Originally posted by davisdog
Black or Silver?
My rule of thumb: pick the color that most contrasts with the surface(s) on which the remote will normally rest. That way it's easier to find.
post #76 of 330
Quote:
Originally posted by rgrossman
My rule of thumb: pick the color that most contrasts with the surface(s) on which the remote will normally rest. That way it's easier to find.
RG:

That's a great idea - had not thought of that but makes a lot of sense:)

Geoffrey
post #77 of 330
I just wish the 688 would ship darn it.
post #78 of 330
I ordered mine from ****************. I also ordered the 659 yesterday, but I don't think the retailer I ordered teh 659 from is authorized. I guess I'll use the 659 in my bedroom and the 688 in my main room.
post #79 of 330
Quote:
I just talked to Harmony sales and was told all the U.S. preorders from Harmony were shipping 4/15-4/16 out of California.
That's the current projection. I'll keep you posted.
post #80 of 330
Quote:
I just talked to Harmony sales and was told all the U.S. preorders from Harmony were shipping 4/15-4/16 out of California. I paid $199 plus $15 for shipping.
Where did you pay $199?
post #81 of 330
Quote:
Originally posted by bfdtv
Where did you pay $199?
There are a couple authorized web dealers <$200 range if you contact them (w/free Shipping). MSRP looks to be $249, but you can pay less obviously. Last I heard Mike at surfremote hadnt set a price (was waiting for it to be available), but it may be worthwhile to ask him in a few days (as you see a couple posts earlier he's let us know when they finally arrive).

-steve
post #82 of 330
I got mine from **************** for that price and only $8 ground shipping. They had an AVS Forum discount and they are an authorized seller.
post #83 of 330
Has anyone heard the actual release date of this remote in April?
post #84 of 330
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by jimmykce
Has anyone heard the actual release date of this remote in April?
As mentioned above, 4/15-4/16 is still the most recent target date. Stay tuned!
post #85 of 330
If you want to save another $50 dollars you can buy this remote from an unathorize dealer for $156.00 dollars.
post #86 of 330
I did see this remote for sale on the Harmony web page and through some authorize dealers this afternoon.

www.onecall.com

www.harmonyremote.com
post #87 of 330
jimmy,

Do you still get access to the web-based setup, etc if you purchase from an unauthorized dealer? What does one lose, other than the warranty?
post #88 of 330
bfdtv,

all you loose is the warranty. I have already went to the Harmony web page and setup my account and picked all my equipment on it. I am just waiting to receive my remote now.
post #89 of 330
Quote:
Originally posted by jimmykce
If you want to save another $50 dollars you can buy this remote from an unathorize dealer for $156.00 dollars.
Just keep in mind that the failure rate (at least on the similar H659) is pretty high, so be prepared to fork out another $156 if it breaks (I think he delta is more like <-$30-35 between that price and the lowest authorized resellers...could be less if you have to pay shipping on the $156)
post #90 of 330
What fails on the remote?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Remote Control Area
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Remote Control Area › Harmony H688