or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Firewire active & recording from Comcast Moto 620x!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Firewire active & recording from Comcast Moto 620x! - Page 34  

post #991 of 1222
Quote:
Originally posted by ZMike
Assuming you have an HDTV somewhere in your setup, you should temporarily take the 30k out of the setup and try to connect the 6208 DIRECTLY to the HDTV with component cables, then see what's going on with live TV and with recording to the hard disk. If you have something weird or you're on a computer or something, I'm done.

If everything is good that way, there is a FireWire problem somewhere--maybe the 7.15 firmware is still not right.

If you have the SAME problems without the 30k as you had with it, then it's either the box, or a problem somewhere else in your system or your cable.

-Mike
I'm in an all component setup. Component 1 is set to my cable box which is perfectly fine. Component 2 is hooked into my JVC 30k.

Back in the old firmware 7.07, I would get a never get a freeze on the picture, just macroblocking constantly on my 30k. As I said before (on 7.15), now I get the picturing freezing after a few seconds. So I'm lean toward a firewire or cable box problem.
post #992 of 1222
so can i record with a JVC 30K via COMPONENT cables from my 6208 (7.07)????

i thought the only way to record HD with one ofthe JVC decks was via firewire......
post #993 of 1222
Quote:
Originally posted by oleus
so can i record with a JVC 30K via COMPONENT cables from my 6208 (7.07)????

i thought the only way to record HD with one ofthe JVC decks was via firewire......
The only way to record HD with a JVC (or Mits) DVHS is via FireWire. JVC has component outputs for viewing HD. Mits DVHS has only FireWire for both recording and viewing HD.

-Mike
post #994 of 1222
I sent a question to Comcast about the software version running on the
6208 box in my area (New Castle County, Delaware). They replied that
the question was irrelevant because neither Comcast nor Motorola supports "export of DVR recordings to an outside medium" and implied that
I should stick with the 6200.

Say what?
post #995 of 1222
Quote:
Originally posted by DTGallagher
I sent a question to Comcast about the software version running on the
6208 box in my area (New Castle County, Delaware). They replied that
the question was irrelevant because neither Comcast nor Motorola supports "export of DVR recordings to an outside medium" and implied that
I should stick with the 6200.

Say what?
so...why is this a problem for you?
post #996 of 1222
DTGallagher --

The software/firmware version on your motorola cable box is easy to find.

From the "main menu" select "setup", then "cable box", then "see configuration" change from no to yes

The software (s/w) on my Motorola 6208 here in Montgomery County, PA is 21.03-1226-44 and my firmware is 7.07.
post #997 of 1222
7.15 has come in with some problems:

Watching/recording Digital SD channels through FireWire, 2/3 of the JVC HDTV screen is fine while 1/3 on the right contains a different channel.

HD and analog stations are virtually perfect.

I tried all the different screen and TV-type settings on the 6208 and on the DVHS as well.

I hope someone can figure out what's going on and help.

DVI is very broken on my system--when the connection is active, trying to record to either the 6208 hard disk or the DVHS causes the 6208 to reset at random. I saw this happen 4 times before I pulled it. After I did that, it was stable, except for the FireWire issue. Also, switching between SD and HD channels requires turning the 6208 off and then on by the remote in order to get the video back. That's better than removing and replacing the damned DVI plug a million times, but it's still not right.

-Mike
post #998 of 1222
ZMike,

This is a known problem with the JVC 30K. In the same setup with the 40K, I had no problems. Basically, the 30K image buffer "stores" part of another channel's display and keeps it there. I posted a thread on this earlier this year and finally returned my 30K and got a 40K. I use a Motorola 6200, fw 7.15 right now and have no issues.
post #999 of 1222
In response to "the q"'s forum message and "jwhip"'s private message:

I understand how to access the software version of the 6208 box.
My issue is that I don't currently have the box (I have the 6200) - and won't get it - if Comcast "Customer Care"'s somewhat smarmy reply to my question about the software version and hi-def firewire recording is correct - that neither they nor Motorola is currently supporting firewire recording from the 6208, and don't have any plans to do so. I assume
that means that firewire recording is just an incidental feature of this box,
and we shouldn't expect to get any assistance from Comcast if it doesn't
work.

Is this a valid assumption? (The 1394 port is highlighted in Motorola's 6208
demo site, but I don't remember any mention there about what it's for.)

Reply to azdon:

The HD PVR would add versatility to timed HD (and SD) recordings (but if I can't get the guaranteed option to export these recordings to DVHS, this
versatility's not worth it). I currently can do only one timed recording at a time to my DVHS recorder using the external Radio Shack VCR programmer.
post #1000 of 1222
"The HD PVR would add versatility to timed HD (and SD) recordings (but if I can't get the guaranteed option to export these recordings to DVHS, this
versatility's not worth it). I currently can do only one timed recording at a time to my DVHS recorder using the external Radio Shack VCR programmer."

I understand. I also use the VCR programmer for timer digital recording, however I note that the largest tape you can buy is 3.5 hrs of HD recording, so maybe several $15 VCR programmers is the answer if you need to do multiple event recording? My logic is that at most all you can fit on a single tape is two typical length movies. I suspect the real reason you can't record from the PVR to the D-VHS is copy protection requirements, etc. Does anyone know if you can chain two D-VHS's together and copy one HD show from the 1st D-VHS to the other? I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't work either.
post #1001 of 1222
Quote:
Originally posted by azdon
[B... I also use the VCR programmer for timer digital recording... [/b]
Does Mits NetCommand "see" your 6200 as a recordable 1394 device?

As far as archiving from PVR to DVHS goes, I can archive HD and analog (ONLY) from a 6208 (7.15) to a JVC 30k. I can archive HD, SD and analog to a Mits DVHS now.

-Mike
post #1002 of 1222
Quote:
Originally posted by ZMike
Does Mits NetCommand "see" your 6200 as a recordable 1394 device?

As far as archiving from PVR to DVHS goes, I can archive HD and analog (ONLY) from a 6208 (7.15) to a JVC 30k. I can archive HD, SD and analog to a Mits DVHS now.

-Mike
Yes and no, netcommand recognizes the two 1394 devices, but it does not allow setting up the 30k for timer recording when tuned to a digital channel. So, I believe the answer is that netcommand 2.0 sees the 6200 as a 1394 device (and the 30k), but does not see the HD tuner as recordable. It is my understanding that the tuner software (ie comcast program guide) has to provide the recording function, as the mitsubishi HD OTA tuner software does. Likewise, its the 30k analog tuner that provides the recording software/menu for timer recording analog channels. The 6200 HD tuner does not provide for recording, and its my understanding the 6208 only provides for recording to its own hard drive.
post #1003 of 1222
i jus got firmware 7.15 on my 6208

so....i won't be able to record SD onto the JVC 30K?? is that a problem that effects all 6208/JVC30K combos???
post #1004 of 1222
ZMike offered the solution and it works great. Timer recordings with JVC and 6200. Mike, please post what you told me for all to use. Thanks, Don
post #1005 of 1222
Quote:
Originally posted by azdon
ZMike offered the solution and it works great. Timer recordings with JVC and 6200. Mike, please post what you told me for all to use. Thanks, Don
This is how it works on my system for NetCommand with a 620X and a MITS DVHS:

1 I select the 1394 Device (not the cable box)

2 I select the channel to record with the Commie remote

3 I press "Record" on the Mits remote

4 I select Duration, Start Time and Day on the Record/Connect screen

5 I click on ADD and then close

6 I turn off the 620X

The 620X AND the Mits DVHS both wake up at the selected time and the channel that was playing when I turned off the 620X is recorded.
After the recording completes, both the DVHS and the 6208X are turned off.
post #1006 of 1222
Quote:
Originally posted by oleus
i jus got firmware 7.15 on my 6208

so....i won't be able to record SD onto the JVC 30K?? is that a problem that effects all 6208/JVC30K combos???
Post #999 on page 50 from Rich4av explained what was happening with digital SD channel recording was a JVC image buffer problem. He had the problem using a 6200 and I have it with a 6208.

Let us know how you make out with it.

-Mike
post #1007 of 1222
Zmike,
To get Mits DHVS Netcommand working with 620x, do you need Mits TV? do you have 1100U or 2000U Mits DVHS?
post #1008 of 1222
Quote:
Originally posted by zeroendless
Zmike,
To get Mits DHVS Netcommand working with 620x, do you need Mits TV? do you have 1100U or 2000U Mits DVHS?
Yes, NetCommand is a feature in Mitsubishi HDTV.

I have 2000U, but I think it works the same as the 1100U.

Azdon reports above that Mits NetCommand will control JVC DVHS.

-Mike
post #1009 of 1222
finally got 7.15, and i have big probelms...

7.15 has wiped out my DVI connection to my projector apparently. When i went downstairs to see if my other 6208 got the update, i got a weird "HD SINGAL PROTECTION NOT COMPATIBLE - use PBR connection or alternate" screen and now whenever i turn the cable box on, i see a signal for one second then it's gone.

this must be some sort of "handshake" issue with my projector or switcher, right? is there any fix?

thanks comcast!
post #1010 of 1222
7.15 fixed the HDCP handshake problems. If you are still having problems, likely, your projector is not HDCP compliant. Try powering off the box and your projector, then turn on your projector and wait till its warmed up, then turn on your box and see if you get the same problem. Check the specs on your projector also to assure HDCP-compliance.
post #1011 of 1222
there is nothing about HDPC compliance in the specs for my projector. I am running the latest firmware on my Infocus projector (3.07)
post #1012 of 1222
Is there any information related to enabling firewire input on the 6208. From a hardware standpoint it would have been so easy to implement this so it's really too bad if there's no way to enable it. Any ideas?
post #1013 of 1222
Quote:
Originally posted by andyman1080
Is there any information related to enabling firewire input on the 6208. From a hardware standpoint it would have been so easy to implement this so it's really too bad if there's no way to enable it. Any ideas?
I guess FireWire input is already enabled from the hardware standpoint, to the extent that signals are transmitted back and forth among the elements of the network.

Software is another story, and I can't imagine what would motivate Motorola/Comcast/TvGuide to want to do it. In fact, they also don't appear to breaking any speed records to implement software for FireWire or USB OUTput to external sources such as hard disk, which they said would happen.

-Mike
post #1014 of 1222
Quote:
Originally posted by oleus
there is nothing about HDPC compliance in the specs for my projector. I am running the latest firmware on my Infocus projector (3.07)
If your projector is not HDCP compliant... you can't use the DVI. HDCP is content protection over DVI.
post #1015 of 1222
yeah, called infocus tech support and it looks liek the projector is going in for a new control board to fix this problem.
post #1016 of 1222
Quote:
Originally posted by ZMike
Oh Noooo !

Are you watching live TV through FireWire (the 30k) or component or DVI?

Is EVERY channel freezing?

If you can't watch live TV from any connection, try unplugging the 6208 for a minute. If that doesn't work, ask the Commies to send you a reset signal from their office.
Zmike, Thanks.

I actually had time to today to try what you said (actually what I thought you said but didn't). I unplugged my firewire connection, then when into the service menu and saw there was no IEEE1394 devices, plugged my connection back in, and check to service menu again to see 1 IEEE1394 device, and then turned on the cable box and DVHS. No more freezing. I have not tried recording yet, but hopefully it will be ok.
post #1017 of 1222
Quote:
Originally posted by ZMike
I guess FireWire input is already enabled from the hardware standpoint, to the extent that signals are transmitted back and forth among the elements of the network.

Software is another story, and I can't imagine what would motivate Motorola/Comcast/TvGuide to want to do it. In fact, they also don't appear to breaking any speed records to implement software for FireWire or USB OUTput to external sources such as hard disk, which they said would happen.

-Mike
Can you point me to where it is stated that external hard disk recording will be supported in the future?
post #1018 of 1222
Quote:
Originally posted by dbrouda
Can you point me to where it is stated that external hard disk recording will be supported in the future?
I saw it in Comcast advertising last year referring specifcally to hard disk support through USB but I don't have the literature.
post #1019 of 1222
Quote:
Originally posted by dgenr8
Using the information outlined by agtiny in Post #134 and others, I have been able to record from a Motorola 6200 to Linux.

It turns out that the 6200 has a both a different model ID and a different vendor ID. In MPEG1394Stream::findHDVR I have

(rom_dir.vendor_id == 0x00000F9F && rom_dir.model_id == 0x0000620A)

Also, I can confirm that kernel 2.4.20 does not work because the raw1394 kernel module at that time did not as yet support ioctl(), which libraw1394 0.10.1 requires.

I went to kernel 2.4.27 but I don't have it fully working yet. It typically records somewhere between 3-6 meg and then the output file just stops growing. ddr1394 is waiting on the poll(). Has anyone else seen this?
I haven't seen that, but I have noticed that after Comcast's firmware upgrade to 7.15, I can't do HDTV capture over the firewire anymore. Weirdly, ddr1394 doesn't even report seeing the cable box.

romtest reports the same values for that magic detection line in iec61883.cc, yet it acts just as if the values didn't match.

Anyone else notice this problem, and perhaps have a solution? Thanks.
post #1020 of 1222
Quote:
Originally posted by vallor
...I have noticed that after Comcast's firmware upgrade to 7.15, I can't do HDTV capture over the firewire anymore. Weirdly, ddr1394 doesn't even report seeing the cable box.

romtest reports the same values for that magic detection line in iec61883.cc, yet it acts just as if the values didn't match.

Anyone else notice this problem, and perhaps have a solution? Thanks.
I know zip about Linux, but Motorola definitely changed the equipment type message that the 6208 sends out in order for the Mitsubisihi DVHS to recognize the 6208.

-Mike
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Firewire active & recording from Comcast Moto 620x!