or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Chattanooga, TN - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chattanooga, TN - HDTV - Page 71

post #2101 of 2195
Quote:
Originally Posted by SequatchieViewer View Post


Any update on WRCB and there upgrades?

The new antenna was put on the tower several days ago, so it shouldn't be too much longer before they crank up the power.
post #2102 of 2195
Quote:
Originally Posted by maharg18 View Post

The new antenna was put on the tower several days ago, so it shouldn't be too much longer before they crank up the power.

Thanks for the update!
post #2103 of 2195
So any news on WRCB yet?
post #2104 of 2195
Hey folks:

I'm probably going to be in town for a day next week. I'll be looking to see how strong the upgraded WRCB signal is, anything else I should look for OTA?

- Trip
post #2105 of 2195
I'm looking for an indoor antenna that picks up the local VHF signals. Has anyone tried the new Mohu Leaf antenna in the Chattanooga Market? If you have let me know the results. Thanks
post #2106 of 2195
Nothing Huh. This thread is really dead. Let's bump it up.
post #2107 of 2195
I haven't used the Leaf, but in my testing at various locations the last two days, I found my Digitenna Vii has performed well on the local VHFs according to my spectrum analyzer. Didn't actually test watching them, though.

- Trip
post #2108 of 2195
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman566 View Post

I'm looking for an indoor antenna that picks up the local VHF signals. Has anyone tried the new Mohu Leaf antenna in the Chattanooga Market? If you have let me know the results. Thanks

I haven't tried one but like you, I'm curious if anyone else on here has any firsthand experience with it.
post #2109 of 2195
Anybody notice that the LSU vs. Bama game on CBS looks to be poor quality HD at best. I have EPBfi service and other HD channels look OK. Does CBS generally provide poor HD quality? Its real disappointing to have a 46" Sony Bravia and EPBfi and still have to look at fuzzy pictures.
post #2110 of 2195
It looked good on my 50" Kuro with Comcast. Was it like that the whole game? I only watched the last half.
post #2111 of 2195
Digitenna Vii? I'll have to check that out. Thanks
post #2112 of 2195
Has WRCB (3-1) been taken off the air? I can't find channel 3 HD anymore. The channel has been missing for 3 days now. I did a channel scan but, 3-1 is gone.
post #2113 of 2195
Over the air? I got it while scanning today.

- Trip
post #2114 of 2195
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman566 View Post

I'm looking for an indoor antenna that picks up the local VHF signals. Has anyone tried the new Mohu Leaf antenna in the Chattanooga Market? If you have let me know the results. Thanks

I gave up on store bought antennas about a year ago. I've tried everything from rabbit ears to large 50" boom antenna on the roof.

I built my own antenna (a Grey-Hoverman variant) that was pretty simple and it pulls in all the Chattanooga stations with the antenna not even facing the towers and only 10 feet off the ground (still outside though).

Just for giggles, try building one of the coathanger type antennas, or a Grey-Hoverman. You can find plenty of guides doing a quick google search. I think you may be surprised with even the coathanger one. If it works decently, look into making it more fancy and it can be a "modern art" piece hanging on your wall, or you might be able to just stick it in a closet or behind your media stand.
post #2115 of 2195
Grey-Hoverman? I'll have to check that out. I'm about 24 miles out from the towers so I may have to give upon the indoor antenna idea.
post #2116 of 2195
comcast basic cable chattanooga - what did they do to 3-1?

i have been running basic comcast without boxes for a long time. they recently kept calling stating that i must have a box. we've been through this before and there's no reason to have a box when you have a whopping ~13 channels. last time they stated i must have these boxes they also said the boxes were free...only to find small charges added to my account. i have only ever watched 3-1, 9-1, 12-1, and 61-1 only for news and sports or just for noise. all of my other viewing is audio or netflix related. starting a few weeks ago, i have not been able to pickup 3-1 coming straight from the wall into the tv. is this really comcast pushing boxes onto people? i do not want to call them because they're just going to read off of a script and push boxes onto me. if this is comcast's way of forcing a box on consumers, shame on them. the whole reason i do not want a damn box is to avoid another controller and cables. if 9/12/61 come through via hd then there's no reason to prevent 3.
post #2117 of 2195
Quote:
Originally Posted by WULFER View Post

Has WRCB (3-1) been taken off the air? I can't find channel 3 HD anymore. The channel has been missing for 3 days now. I did a channel scan but, 3-1 is gone.

gone for me as well. comcast basic cable in chattanooga. they kept calling over the last month claiming i must have a box for basic cable, but they do this all the time. i think it's absurd if they finagled a way to block 3-1 while keeping 9, 12, and 61.
post #2118 of 2195
Does anyone in the area have an antenna in storage or something that I could borrow? I would like to test if a different antenna design might improve my reception. At my location on Missionary Ridge, I'm getting several Atlanta signals plus WNGH and WPXA, but having fits with the Chattanooga locals despite tons of signal on the spectrum analyzer.

- Trip
post #2119 of 2195
Sorry Trip in VA... I gave my old antenna to my in-laws. I built my own antenna I use now.

By the way, what kind of antenna are you using now? Which side of the ridge are you on? Are you on the side that faces Signal mountain?
post #2120 of 2195
Thanks for the response.

I'm using a Digitenna DUV-XF running through a Kitztech KT-200 amp into an HDHomeRun. I'm on the east side of the ridge, so facing away from Signal Mountain. Here's what TVFool looks like: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...4bbaa60ba6c757

I've also got a thread elsewhere on the forum detailing my issues thus far:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1372416

- Trip
post #2121 of 2195
Hmmm, that is a "fringe" antenna, and is very directional. Is it pointed at Signal Mountain, or Atlanta? With you being on the wrong side of the ridge you will not get line of sight to the towers, so you will be relying on reflections that can change with the seasons, foilage, and weather.

That's a tough situation... I've had some tough locations around town to deal with too... usually more to do with the flippin' big old trees all around that always seemed to be right in my signal path. In fact my current location I have a giant silver maple directly in my LOS, and my various antennas just couldn't get around it no matter the height or position I put the antenna.

Then just on a whim I tried building a Grey-Hoverman antenna and wow! It's built out of a 1x6 plank of wood and some aluminum grounding wire (from my last rooftop antenna install). A couple of screws, washers, zip ties and a 75ohm balun and I've got the best performing antenna I've ever used. It's only 10 feet off the ground, on the side of my deck, and not even facing the towers directly... about 30-45 degrees off from "ideal".
post #2122 of 2195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

Hmmm, that is a "fringe" antenna, and is very directional. Is it pointed at Signal Mountain, or Atlanta? With you being on the wrong side of the ridge you will not get line of sight to the towers, so you will be relying on reflections that can change with the seasons, foilage, and weather.

I've tried many different aims and none seem to help. I've left it aimed at Atlanta since that aim at least gives me a few stations besides WNGH.

Quote:


Then just on a whim I tried building a Grey-Hoverman antenna and wow! It's built out of a 1x6 plank of wood and some aluminum grounding wire (from my last rooftop antenna install). A couple of screws, washers, zip ties and a 75ohm balun and I've got the best performing antenna I've ever used. It's only 10 feet off the ground, on the side of my deck, and not even facing the towers directly... about 30-45 degrees off from "ideal".

Excellent!

- Trip
post #2123 of 2195
Anybody watching the new Antenna TV on WRCB's sub-channel. I guess it's better than Retro TV but I still like ME TV on WFLI better.
post #2124 of 2195
Puwaha,

May have tp try one of those myself. Getting glitches in recordings lately. Don't think it's the NAS since the PC can move files at around 28MB/sec. Recordings push around 1.8MB/sec. I've noticed the % on the hdhr app aren't above 90 consistently either. Had to put an electroline amp on the feed; it's split 3 ways.

Edit: will it work for vhf too?
post #2125 of 2195
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiCuda70 View Post

Puwaha,

May have tp try one of those myself. Getting glitches in recordings lately. Don't think it's the NAS since the PC can move files at around 28MB/sec. Recordings push around 1.8MB/sec. I've noticed the % on the hdhr app aren't above 90 consistently either. Had to put an electroline amp on the feed; it's split 3 ways.

Edit: will it work for vhf too?

It works great for all channels in the Chattanooga area. It's made specifically for UHF, but the modern versions were improved for hi-range VHF. Luckily all our VHF stations are in the hi-range. I get every OTA station in our area except for GPB-PBS 18. And that's only because it's 180 degrees away from the way I point my antenna now.

See the attachment on this post to see the plans I used. I only used the "pink" section... I didn't use a reflector or the rear elements (in yellow on the plans)
LL
post #2126 of 2195
Hey folks,

Is anyone seeing WOOT-LD 31 (6-1)? We're currently up and running at 5 kW ERP with a Rohde and Schwarz demo transmitter. I'd love to hear some reception reports.

- Trip
post #2127 of 2195
I'm running a qnap 4bay nas. Everything is on gig-e. I've checked transfers on large files and the rate is many times faster than the recording bandwidth needed for an hd feed. I get pixelation quite frequently in recordings. Signal strength is usually in the high 80s or better. Could it be signal or the nas?
post #2128 of 2195
>Is anyone seeing WOOT-LD 31 (6-1)? We're currently up and running at 5 kW ERP with a Rohde and Schwarz demo transmitter. I'd love to hear some reception reports. - Trip

Hi Trip - I'm a noob here, but have seen your posts around the web forums regarding antenna and satellite technology. I'm on East Main (not too far from your offices on 28th).

I see WOOT fine on Videotek demods I have hooked up to an old antenna on the roof: six 480i SD channels on ch31, all with low BERs.

Message me here if there's any further info you'd like to have fed back to you (signal strength, error rates, etc).

Regards,
dl
post #2129 of 2195
Dalevis, you now have a private message.

EDIT: Two private messages. Thought of something else to add.

- Trip
post #2130 of 2195
Trip did you ever try using a medium gain amp instead of the higher gain version? Perhaps a KT-100 from Kitztech would work better, or a CM7778 or Winegard 269. Just a thought. I tried a KT-200 but had better luck with a CM7777, original version. Different amps can make a difference, as you will understand better than I do.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Chattanooga, TN - HDTV