or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › New Orleans, LA - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Orleans, LA - HDTV - Page 7

post #181 of 8206
I'm afraid I don't have any information on ABC HD broadcasts returning to New Orleans, but WBRZ-DT (13.1/2.1) the ABC affiliate in Baton Rouge, puts out a very strong signal. If you REALLY want to see the Super Bowl, pick up a CM 4228 and point it towards B. R. You may also be able to access the NBC (33.1) station as well. No telling how long WDSU-DT will be out of service too.
post #182 of 8206
Due to Katrina my HDTV's are in Texas and I only have analog sets at home. I am having a lot of interference with Channel 4 via my antenna.

Anyone else having this problem?
post #183 of 8206
8.1 is working just in time for "24" can you tell i'm happy...i'm about to switch back to basic and fast internet only with charter. to me it is not worth the extra $60 a month for their HD package.
post #184 of 8206
Charter Northshore has put WGNO-DT (ABC) back up on their system. The DT channel has had no signal since Katrina. Unfortunately, it is 480i only. Comparing the WGNO analog channel, to the WGNO-DT channel they are carrying, it appears to be a much cleaner signal. The WGNO website indicates that the ABC-DT OTA signal is being broadcast on 49.2, which is a subchannel of WPXL-DT (PAX). The website further indicates that it should go HD prior to the Super Bowl. We can only hope they meet the deadliine.
post #185 of 8206
I have terk hdtvs ota antenna. I live in Metairie. I recevie all channels except NBC DT with 100% strong signal. Do I need a pre amp or do I not need one since I am receiving my channels with good signal? What exactly does pre amp do and what is a good one to get if I need one? Also does anyone know what is going on with NBC DT 6.1? I am not receiving it.
post #186 of 8206
I am thinking of going HDTV over the air reception. I live in Laplace and was wondering if anybody in this area has been able to receive HDTV.

I can only install and indoor or attic mount antenna. My attic is large and is 20 feet tall.

I have seen that majority of the N.O. HDTV stations are about 30 miles.

What type of antenna would I require?

Any informaton is greatly appreciated!

Nick
post #187 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by joabruno View Post

I have terk hdtvs ota antenna. I live in Metairie. I recevie all channels except NBC DT with 100% strong signal. Do I need a pre amp or do I not need one since I am receiving my channels with good signal? What exactly does pre amp do and what is a good one to get if I need one? Also does anyone know what is going on with NBC DT 6.1? I am not receiving it.

WDSU (6.1) is not on the air, neither is PBS (12.1). All the others are, albeit ABC and WB are on loaned bandwidth from the independent channel 49.1. (49.2 and 49.3 respectively)

the ABC (26.1) and WB (38.1) won't be back on their own transmitter for a while. There is no news from WDSU DT (6.1) as to when they will be back up and transmitting a digital signal.

The Temp ABC on 49.2 says they will have the ABC HD signal up and running on 49.2 in time for the Superbowl.

If you are getting a good signal without an amp you shouldn't need one when the others eventually come online.

However, if you do get a signal amp or preamp (and a rotor) you may be able to get either the Baton Rouge DT stations and or the Biloxi DT stations. WMMV.
post #188 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfunk View Post

I am thinking of going HDTV over the air reception. I live in Laplace and was wondering if anybody in this area has been able to receive HDTV.

I can only install and indoor or attic mount antenna. My attic is large and is 20 feet tall.

I have seen that majority of the N.O. HDTV stations are about 30 miles.

What type of antenna would I require?

Any informaton is greatly appreciated!

Nick

The Channelmaster 4228 is considered the antenna of choice for many (around $75 with shipping) Google it.

As long as you don't have a Metal roof it should work fine for the New Orleans stations. But outside placement would be better. A preamp wouln't hurt either.
post #189 of 8206
I second the suggestion of getting the CM 4228. I have it in my attic in Pearl River now and it is great. Try to mount it as high as you can in you attic and get a compass to aim it. I am using the CM pre-amp with it.
post #190 of 8206
It looks like WGNO-DT (ABC) went 1080i sometime today. WoHoo.

Actually, ABC is 720p. My bad.
post #191 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post

It looks like WGNO-DT (ABC) went 1080i sometime today. WoHoo.

Are they still using 49.2 for OTA?
post #192 of 8206
Thanks for the ressponse. Your info was a big help. What do you mean when you said WMMV at the end of your reply??? Any suggestions on a rotor and a pre-amp???
post #193 of 8206
49.2 YES. It better be 1080i for Super Bowl or I will be some pissed
post #194 of 8206
I am brand new to HDTV OTA. I live in Lacombe and have an old antenna
on the roof which was able to pick up WWL on 36.1 at 95% . I notice everyone is talking about WWL on 4.1 and I am not receiving anything there. That is the only
HD channel I get. What am I doing wrong. If I am getting WWL on that old antenna shouldn't I be getting other channels. I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks
post #195 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by joabruno View Post

49.2 YES. It better be 1080i for Super Bowl or I will be some pissed

since ABC and ESPN are the same company and likely use the same gear, it will be 720p just like ESPN's sports are.
post #196 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by joabruno View Post

Thanks for the ressponse. Your info was a big help. What do you mean when you said WMMV at the end of your reply???

I think he meant "YMMV": Your Mileage May Vary.
post #197 of 8206
Does anyone know if there is a problem with ABC on channel 49.2. I have good signal strength, but only see a black screen. I have a picture on 49.1 and 49.4. If it is a receiver problem I would like to get it straightned out before Sunday. I am using the Directv HD converter with OTA input. All other channels are fine.
post #198 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlegulu View Post

Does anyone know if there is a problem with ABC on channel 49.2. I have good signal strength, but only see a black screen. I have a picture on 49.1 and 49.4. If it is a receiver problem I would like to get it straightned out before Sunday. I am using the Directv HD converter with OTA input. All other channels are fine.

I just had the same problem with WLOX on the Gulf Coast. I quick email to the station Engineer had the problem fixed right away only to have it come back a few days later. It seems that WLOX upgrade their computer software that provides the OTA signal and the upgrade wasn't good so it forces the computer to reboot on occasion. I can get a signal but no picture. It only happens with an OTA though not on cable. It was the PSIP generator computer that was causing the problem. Maybe this is the same thing you're encountering.
post #199 of 8206
I receive UPN 54.1 with 100% signal strength and it broadcasts in 1080i. The broadcast picture sucks. Looks horrible! Don't understand because signal is 100%. Is anyone else having this problem????
post #200 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlegulu View Post

Does anyone know if there is a problem with ABC on channel 49.2. I have good signal strength, but only see a black screen. I have a picture on 49.1 and 49.4. If it is a receiver problem I would like to get it straightned out before Sunday. I am using the Directv HD converter with OTA input. All other channels are fine.

I noticed that on Sunday night. I tried tuning in 26.1, and found ABC 26 on that channel. I guess they moved it back there.
post #201 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by joabruno View Post

I receive UPN 54.1 with 100% signal strength and it broadcasts in 1080i. The broadcast picture sucks. Looks horrible! Don't understand because signal is 100%. Is anyone else having this problem????

I don't receive WUPL-DT (UPN) out of slidell but it should be understood that UPN has a somewhat limited HD schedule. Their HD lineup is weekdays from 7 to 9 pm only. Times outside of this is likely just upconverted SD with pillaring. If the programming that you're referring to as looking horrible is true HD (16:9, 1080i with no pillars) then that would lead me to believe they have a poor network feed, equipment or personnel.
post #202 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by KebCam View Post

I noticed that on Sunday night. I tried tuning in 26.1, and found ABC 26 on that channel. I guess they moved it back there.

It is still being broadcast from 49.2 but it is remapped to appear as channel 26.1
(name branding)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpf03 View Post

I am brand new to HDTV OTA. I live in Lacombe and have an old antenna
on the roof which was able to pick up WWL on 36.1 at 95% . I notice everyone is talking about WWL on 4.1 and I am not receiving anything there. That is the only
HD channel I get. What am I doing wrong. If I am getting WWL on that old antenna shouldn't I be getting other channels. I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks

I live in lacombe as well. It could be a bad matching transformer, might need a preamp? who knows?

Sent you a PM, Maybe we can get together and I can give you a hand
post #203 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post

I don't receive WUPL-DT (UPN) out of slidell but it should be understood that UPN has a somewhat limited HD schedule. Their HD lineup is weekdays from 7 to 9 pm only. Times outside of this is likely just upconverted SD with pillaring. If the programming that you're referring to as looking horrible is true HD (16:9, 1080i with no pillars) then that would lead me to believe they have a poor network feed, equipment or personnel.

What do you mean by pillaring?
post #204 of 8206
WGNO website said that OTA signal would be up on 26.1 Wednesday. As of right now I have no signal on this channel. I'm in Metairie and wondering if anyone is picking up this station. WGNO is not answering the phone this morning. If they are having problems, hope they get it fixed before Sunday.
post #205 of 8206
I'm not getting it, 26 either.
post #206 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlegulu View Post

WGNO website said that OTA signal would be up on 26.1 Wednesday. As of right now I have no signal on this channel. I'm in Metairie and wondering if anyone is picking up this station. WGNO is not answering the phone this morning. If they are having problems, hope they get it fixed before Sunday.

I get nothing on 26.1 or 49.2 for WGNO. I'm on the MS Gulf Coast.
post #207 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVSaurus View Post

I get nothing on 26.1 or 49.2 for WGNO. I'm on the MS Gulf Coast.

WGNO is channel 50.1 remapped to 26.1

do a scan or manually input 50.1

They started OTA HD broadcasts with the primetime shows last night.
post #208 of 8206
I'm in Gretna, and am getting the WGNO signal on 26.1 in HD. Was able to watch Lost last night...
post #209 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by joabruno View Post

What do you mean by pillaring?

The DT OTA channels broadcast in a true HD format, 16:9; either 1080i or 720p. However, when they are broadcasting a program that is SD format, 4:3, 480i, black, grey or graphic pillars are added on each side of the SD material and it is upconverted to the HD format. When you see pillaring, with few exceptions, it is upconverted SD and not true HD content.
post #210 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOHDjunkie View Post

WGNO is channel 50.1 remapped to 26.1

do a scan or manually input 50.1

They started OTA HD broadcasts with the primetime shows last night.

I tried a rescan and manual input. I'm having trouble getting it as well.

I had no problem picking it up before they did the remapping. I think some of us are having trouble handling the new remapping. I contacted WGNO, and they say they're having no trouble on their end.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › New Orleans, LA - HDTV