or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › New Orleans, LA - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Orleans, LA - HDTV - Page 8

post #211 of 8206
For those still having trouble with WGNO-DT, here's my understanding of the issue:

WGNO-DT is currently being broadcast using a subchannel of WPXL-DT (49.1). Normally, this subchannel would be designated as 49.2. In the case of WGNO-DT, the imbedded PSIP information remaps it to 26.1.

To confuse the issue a little more: WPXL is actually broadcast on UHF channel 49 and WPXL-DT is actually broadcast on UHF channel 50.

Some receivers may handle all of this better than others. Some receivers stumble on minor issues with the PSIP tables, others don't. The easiest thing to do is a rescan. If this doesn't work then try all the possible manual scans: 26, 26.1, 49, 49.2, 50, etc.

BTW, this may be all WGNOs problem and they are not yet aware of it. It wouldn't be the first time PSIP was screwed up by a station.

Good Luck
post #212 of 8206
I finally started to pickup 26.1 as mentioned above along with WB38. What is weird is I have two 26.1 on my Tivo guide. One says WGNODT and the other ABC. Same with the WB channel.
post #213 of 8206
I think I'm the only one who's still having trouble picking up WGNO now.

I was picking up 49's digital channel (50) just fine until they changed the PSIP info a few days ago. Now I can't get it at all, no matter what I do.

I guess it's my crappy TV having trouble with the new PSIP.
post #214 of 8206
Any luck? I'm having problems too but it sounds like you know a lot more than me. My situation is that I had just set-up my brand new HT system with a 56" Samsung DPL HDTV w/ built-in tuner 2 weeks before the hurricane. I'm living out of state and my partner is back in the house. No cable, no phone, no way to do internet research. So I'm doing it here and relaying the info. Anyway, we live near the lake and UNO. I sent a DB-2 short range multi-directional hdtv uhf antenna and enough cable to install outside. However, it's a one story and there are trees in the neighboorhood. We're getting a few channels but not all of them...I think we're not getting NBC (6.1) and CBS (4.1) - if I've got it correct. I don't have my manuals with me but you mentioned PSIP. Could you explain what PSIP is? For instance, some website have NBC broadcasting UHF on 6.1 and other sites indicate channel 43. I'm not sure what the difference between channel 6 and 6.1 is. Do I need to reset my TV somehow? I've mapped out the tower locations and we're 8-10 miles from all of them - most are within a 55 degree angle - with CBS being an outlier. Any suggestions on basic logic on getting the channels is GREATLY appreciated. PS I also tried to see if the stations were even broadcasting in HD now...I know the stations were broadcasting from out of state due to the storm. Are they all back locally? I tried calling WDSU and I just get a machine. I've left messages and emailed days ago - still no response. THANKS!
post #215 of 8206
Anyone with an H10 having problems receiving abc in high def still. My receiver won't recognize the remapping since they changed to 50 instead of 15 and since there's no way to manually add a channel I can't pick it up. i have a good signal on 49-1, 49-2, 49-3 and 49-4 but no picture on 49-2 or 49-3. Been on the phone with abc for a while, I'm pretty sure we narrowed it down to an H10 problem receiving a channel that's not in its preset configuration for N.O. local. Any help?
post #216 of 8206
I just looked at the last couple of posts, as well as my own.

I noticed that we all have Samsung tuners, or Samsung Tv's with built-in tuners.

I think it's a problem with Samsung equipment?

I put in a call to 49's engineering dept. I hope they call back.

UPDATE:

I spoke with the engineer for WPXL. He's gonna check out the PSIP info and reboot tomorrow morning. Hopefully, that'll resolve the problems for us that are having them.
post #217 of 8206
I'm having no problems with WGNO. I am using three Dish Network recievers (942and two 811's) and a ATI HDTV wonder running under Windows MCE 05.

Might be a samsung problem. I'll fire up my Samsung SIR T 151 tomorrow and see if it will get them.
post #218 of 8206
My Panny automatically remapped it to 26.1, so no problems here,either.
post #219 of 8206
Where is the antenna? I see that guys near Slidell and Lacomb are not having trouble getting the signal.
post #220 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post

Where is the antenna? I see that guys near Slidell and Lacomb are not having trouble getting the signal.

It's over there with the rest of them in Chalmette.

From Lacombe I'm pointed at 185 deg (a little west of due south) and picking up WWL at 95%, WVUE at 100% and WGNO/WNOL at 92%
post #221 of 8206
Thanks, that's what I need to know. Some of the antennas were in a field over here on the westbank. UPN and PAX for sure. You may have save me just in time for Superbowl.
post #222 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post

Thanks, that's what I need to know. Some of the antennas were in a field over here on the westbank. UPN and PAX for sure. You may have save me just in time for Superbowl.

I take that back. WPXL (where WGNO is broadcasting from) is on the westbank.

Here is a map

http://tiger.census.gov/cgi-bin/mapg...ht=0.5&wid=0.5

Because of my line of sight from Lacombe all the transmitters from NO are within a narrow 10 degree wedge for me so I can get them all with no need for moving the antenna.

Go Here and you can get all the info on any station you want. just put in the call sign ( ie. WDSU ) and scroll down and hit the "Submit Data" button. it will load the station information.

look for

"Service Designation: DT Digital television station"

That is all the info on the stations DT service. If you look in the links provided they will have an "area map" for the transmitter.

That way you can get maps for all the transmitters and know where to point your ant.


links to:

WWL DT 36

WVUE DT 29

WDSU DT 43 (not TX now)

WPXL DT 50 (TX WGNO and WNOL

WGNO DT 15 (not TX now)

WNOL DT 40 (not TX now)
post #223 of 8206
Damn, good news and bad news. Good news first, my Samsung TS160 is picking up ABC-Hd just fine after moving antenna and re-tuning. New Direct Tv reciever can not tune it. No problems with Samsung down stairs in my theater so that's great news.
post #224 of 8206
Those with QAM tuners.... WGNO-HD can be found on 53.5. PBS is still on 81.3, and WDSU was 81.6, but now it says unavailable. Those of you with Cox Digital w/ HD, does your WDSU HD work? I want to know if just the clear QAM broadcast is down or is the channel down for everyone.
post #225 of 8206
Have been trying for 3 days to get ABC local ota. It looks like everything is pointing to the Directv H10 receiver as the problem. If anyone can figure out what to do, or gets solution from Directv please post. I will also keep trying. WGNO says it will be several months before they are back on their regular frequency. Hope we don't have to wait that long for ABC HD.
post #226 of 8206
It was the Direct TV reciever. I own it too and that's the one that would not pick it up. Thankfully I had the Samsung on my projector.
post #227 of 8206
Anyone else getting color problems on 26.1? I can receive it, but the colors seem to be out of place.
post #228 of 8206
26.1 had color problems last night.... not sure how it looks today...
post #229 of 8206
Another bad night for WGNO-DT. Weird color offsets. Unwatchable. WBRZ-DT ABC in Baton Rouge is picture perfect. It's a WGNO problem.
post #230 of 8206
Hey guys, I'm a native but HD is brand new to me, so I'm trying to get caught up.

I just ordered a Toshiba 52hmx94 after a few months of research and saving up. My plan is to pick up the HD OTA signals in NOLA, as I understand they're (mostly) back up.

I rent, so if I could get away without having to put an antenna on the roof that would be great. My landlord's cool though, so if I'll get more stations that way I can deal.

I could use antenna recommendations, setup recommendations... whatever you got. Will I need a rotor and pre-amp? What's my best setup here right now?

Basically, if somoene wants to give me a NOLA specific crash course, I'd owe you a beer if we ever ran into each other at a bar.
post #231 of 8206
I have a Samsung SIR-TS360 and am having all kinds of trouble picking up HD signals since the storm. I live in Gretna and was recently getting 4.1 and 8.1, but now only receive 8.1 with 4.1 blank. Any ideas on what my problem is, and how I can fix it? Are the other channels working, but just not for me?
Please help.
Thanks
post #232 of 8206
I don't believe 4.1 is back on the air. Most have been a test signal that you were recieving. Make sure you have your antenna pointed in the right direction. Do you know where that big cow field is on Tullis Ave. in Algiers? Many of the towers are there so point your antenna in that direction.
post #233 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politicaux View Post

Hey guys, I'm a native but HD is brand new to me, so I'm trying to get caught up.

I just ordered a Toshiba 52hmx94 after a few months of research and saving up. My plan is to pick up the HD OTA signals in NOLA, as I understand they're (mostly) back up.

I rent, so if I could get away without having to put an antenna on the roof that would be great. My landlord's cool though, so if I'll get more stations that way I can deal.

I could use antenna recommendations, setup recommendations... whatever you got. Will I need a rotor and pre-amp? What's my best setup here right now?

Basically, if somoene wants to give me a NOLA specific crash course, I'd owe you a beer if we ever ran into each other at a bar.

You can go to radio shack and buy a UHF antenna. They will sell you what is the back section of most outdoor antennas. For best reception mount it on the roof. I have two antennas mounted in my attic which works as well. I know HDTV sounds complicated but it's not. It's like in the old days, put up and antenna and turn it until the signal comes in. It's easier if you have a compass and know the direction of the towers. Rabbit ears will pick up a few stations too. But having someone to watch the signal meter if your reciever has one will work as well. If you know how to connect an antenna and get regular channels, this works pretty much the same way. Oh, meet me at Igors on St. Charles. I like Abita Amber and the burgers there .
post #234 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by busbeepbeep View Post

Those with QAM tuners.... WGNO-HD can be found on 53.5. PBS is still on 81.3, and WDSU was 81.6, but now it says unavailable. Those of you with Cox Digital w/ HD, does your WDSU HD work? I want to know if just the clear QAM broadcast is down or is the channel down for everyone.

What do you mean by QAM tuner? and yes my uncle receives WDSU-HD through COX HD Digital. I don't understand why I don't receive it through my terk HDTVs off air antenna but you can get it through COX Digital HD. Also I receive WGNO-HD on channel 26.1 with ota antenna but I don't receive PBS. What is channel 53.5 and 81.3 about?????
post #235 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post

I don't believe 4.1 is back on the air. Most have been a test signal that you were recieving. Make sure you have your antenna pointed in the right direction. Do you know where that big cow field is on Tullis Ave. in Algiers? Many of the towers are there so point your antenna in that direction.

I receive 4.1 WWL- HD through terk antenna. I live in Metairie.
post #236 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by joabruno View Post

What do you mean by QAM tuner? and yes my uncle receives WDSU-HD through COX HD Digital. I don't understand why I don't receive it through my terk HDTVs off air antenna but you can get it through COX Digital HD. Also I receive WGNO-HD on channel 26.1 with ota antenna but I don't receive PBS. What is channel 53.5 and 81.3 about?????


There are ATSC HD tuners (for the over the air stuff) and there are QAM HD tuners (for digital cable signals). TVs with Cablecards have QAM tuners. "In the clear" QAM channels mean there are digital cable channels that are unencrypted and can be viewed if you have a QAM tuner without a cablecard or a digital cable subscription. All local channels are supposed to be broadcast in the clear.

I use Directv, but I have active an cable line at my house for my cable modem, and I perform a channel scan including digital channels and the tuner finds a few channels. 81.3,81.6, and 53.5 just happed to be the channel numbers found for PBS-HD, NBC-HD, and ABC-HD, respectively.
post #237 of 8206
Since WDSU (6) is not providing waivers to those of us on the MS Gulf Coast who can not pickup their signal what legal recourse does one have to force them to provide such alternative signal until the tower is back fully operational?

I can get just about everyone except WDSU and its very frustrating especially with the Olympics on the next two weeks.

What makes it even more frustrating is WDSU gave me a SD waiver a few years ago but denied my HD waiver last month.
post #238 of 8206
I'm on Jefferson and Claiborne uptown. How powerful an antenna do I need? Any specific recommendations?
post #239 of 8206
I find that the Radio Shack antenna works very well. I have a Channel Master 4228 and the Radio shack. At my house the 24.00 Radio shack does as well as the Channel master, http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search You can use Rabit ears but I find that you will not get all the channel being broadcast and you will have audio and signal drop outs. When I had rabbit ears some stations were not broadcasting at full power so this may have changed.
post #240 of 8206
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVSaurus View Post

Since WDSU (6) is not providing waivers to those of us on the MS Gulf Coast who can not pickup their signal what legal recourse does one have to force them to provide such alternative signal until the tower is back fully operational?

I can get just about everyone except WDSU and its very frustrating especially with the Olympics on the next two weeks.

What makes it even more frustrating is WDSU gave me a SD waiver a few years ago but denied my HD waiver last month.

There are other NBC affiliates that you might try to receive (depending on "where" on the Mississippi Coast you're located). You'll need a good antenna (CM 4228 with a CM 7775 amp) and rotator for any chance of receiving one of these.

WVLA 33.1 (Baton Rouge)
WDAM 28.1 (Hattiesburg)
WLBTDT1 9.1 (Jackson)
WGBC 31.1 (Meridian)
WPMI 47.1 (Mobile)

Hope this helps,
Ben
Metairie
(Getting the Olympics from WVLA, Baton Rouge)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › New Orleans, LA - HDTV