Originally Posted by paulred
Supposedly, this site will give you what we're should be getting in QAM....http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/channels
I've been having lots of trouble getting QAM in Metairie. I have a number of PC cards plus the new ATI DCT OCUR tuners and only 1 ATI 650 Pro picks up 5 QAM channels. What's the secret to this?
What are you guys using to receive QAM? I was thinking about the HDHomerun which gets great reviews but if there could be a problem getting these signals, I don't want to shell out the money and see it wasted.
Here's how I got it to work after a couple of weeks of frustration filled with trial and error. First off make sure your machine meets the requirements to record HD QAM or this is not going to work. My machine is running WinXP Pro SP3.
All cards I tried came from Circuit City...
These are the 2 cards I tried and returned b/c they couldn't do the job:
1) Pinnacle PCTV HD Ultimate Stick TV Tuner (USB)
At first this thing was promising. Hooked it up, installed the latest version of the software, scanned and got QAM channels as expected. Tried to record and then the flash drive on the stick became corrupt. Used there supplied restore and never got the thing working again. Returned to store. Personally I can't imagine a USB device capturing HD, but it was worth a shot...
2) Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 Hybrid Video Recorder
Installed card and then downloaded latest software and installed. Scanned for QAM and got a crazy channel listing. Never was able to view the video of a channel, only the audio came thru. Spent all night reading forums and never could get the card to show video. Uninstalled everything and started from scratch, this time, never could even get a channel after a scan. Very disappointing and bundled software was crap...after all the reading I did, I think this card works for people using Vista, not XP, or the tuner in the card was defective. Returned to store.
This is the card I have installed and working, picks up all Charter QAM channels and I have successfully recorded HD all week long and streamed it to my PS3 for viewing each night:
Pinnacle PCTV PCI Card HD USB TV Tuner
In order to get this card up and running quickly:
1) Install card in a open PCI slot.
2) Start computer.
3) When Windows finds the new hardware, DO NOT install any drivers at this point, just keep clicking Cancel until the New Hardware wizard goes away.
4) Download the latest version of Pinnacle's TVCenterPro software from their website. This one installers has everything you need including the drivers.
5) Install TVCenterPro once downloaded.
6) Shut down PC and connect the coax cable feed to the back of the card.
7) Boot up the machine and start TVCenterPro.
8) Do a QAM channel scan and you should have all your channels. The card failed to find my local FOXHD channel, but you can manually add it if you know the frequency.
***NOTE on recording HD: I record everything in Native format for QAM and then stream across the network to my PS3 to watch. You must record to a 2nd hard drive (I have a 7200RPM USB Drive). If you try to record to the hard drive Windows is installed on, then the video will be choppy and the audio will be out of synch. This is because Windows owns the main drive and uses its page file at will, which causes the recording to drop frames.
Hope this helps!