or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Lafayette, LA / Beaumont, TX / Lake Charles, LA - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lafayette, LA / Beaumont, TX / Lake Charles, LA - HDTV - Page 102

post #3031 of 9896
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalberto View Post

Question - Are 64 and 29 related? Your statement implies they are. Or at least that is how I interpret your comment. Just curious.

For those of you with Directv out there, I bet you can now get a waiver filed for Fox since 64 analog is toast. At least you will have a good argument for it. However the national feed probably won't give you the "right" game on Sunday. Worth a try though as you would probably eligible for the HD version too.

KUIL-LP is owned by KVHP.....I see where Bluebonnet filed to put a 43 digital on the 64 analog tower at Hildebrandt Rd......SO you folks in the western side of Jeff Co will be able to watch FOX in digital HD (But probably will be after 2/09 before they get the thing built) Should cover to Sour Lake and Winnie ok BUT then they just need to put a FULL power on at more than 15KW and 500ft....geesh waste of RF and AC power
post #3032 of 9896
Ok, I called this morning and told Direct about "moving my dish to the apartment I keep in Baytown for work." Phone call took less than 10 minutes total and the rep told me everything should be working fine with all the locals when I get home this afternoon.

I am really excited to see if this works. It will be nice to see Heros in HD for a change....
post #3033 of 9896
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETX Aggie View Post

Ok, I called this morning and told Direct about "moving my dish to the apartment I keep in Baytown for work." Phone call took less than 10 minutes total and the rep told me everything should be working fine with all the locals when I get home this afternoon.

I am really excited to see if this works. It will be nice to see Heros in HD for a change....

It should work. We "moved" to Waco last year for "work" so that we could pick up the Dallas vs. New England game (both teams were undefeated and we were locked in to the Texans.)

At the end of the season we "moved" back to our billing location. It was easy. You just can't "move" across the country as the locals are carried on spot-beams for the viewing area. I think 300 miles is the typical coverage range.
post #3034 of 9896
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETX Aggie View Post

Ok, I called this morning and told Direct about "moving my dish to the apartment I keep in Baytown for work." Phone call took less than 10 minutes total and the rep told me everything should be working fine with all the locals when I get home this afternoon.

I am really excited to see if this works. It will be nice to see Heros in HD for a change....

Please report back on how this worked for you. I may have to do this as well if your first hand report is favorable.
post #3035 of 9896
Has anyone been getting calls from Dish about a "free" upgrade due to the change to MPEG 4? (My rcvr is a MPEG2 model).....The caller ID shows DISH but I havent called them back yet....plan to and get a 722 if I can (I understand its available for $5/mo rental....sure beats 2-300 on Ebay!).....
post #3036 of 9896
I have the Dish 722 box & 1000 dish system. I live in Lake Charles. I "moved" to Houston so I am hoping to try to fix this myself. The last 3 months or so, HD programming on sat 129 usually TP 11 has no signal. The Bravo channel and a few others I watch seem to use this TP, but most all on 129 don't seem to work. sat 110 & 119 seem ok. Most of the signals are in the 60-70 range. On 129 most of the signals are no higher than 20 and some like on TP 11 are 5 or less...on clear days. Should we try to re-point? I hate to mess up the ones we do get on the other sats. What is the easiest way to repoint with out any sophisticated tools? How do you point one dish at 3 satellites?
post #3037 of 9896
Co worker of mine in Beaumont has the same thing.......and he said it is VERY TOUCHY on 129...you have to have the mount PERFECTLY vertical to get it aligned right.....He went thru several tries before getting it right...best thing is having the TV next to the dish....there is a short delay between moving it and the signal level...HOWEVER, I am surprised if you are in LCH and can get the Houston Spot Beams 5 & 7 on 110 and 119.....The HDs on 129 should not be a problem as they arent spot beams.....watch your skew and the elevation.....You have to be VERY slow in moving the dish...but once aligned make sure it cannot move!!! My coworker had low readings especially on 129 before IKE...afterwards he evidently got lucky...all the birds now have higher signal levels like 100 or so!
post #3038 of 9896
Thanks for the info. Will try to re-point it. But your comment about being surprised getting spot beams from Houston, is there a better place to "move" to for LC than the Houston area?
post #3039 of 9896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Touchtone View Post

Co worker of mine in Beaumont has the same thing.......and he said it is VERY TOUCHY on 129...you have to have the mount PERFECTLY vertical to get it aligned right.....He went thru several tries before getting it right...best thing is having the TV next to the dish....there is a short delay between moving it and the signal level...HOWEVER, I am surprised if you are in LCH and can get the Houston Spot Beams 5 & 7 on 110 and 119.....The HDs on 129 should not be a problem as they arent spot beams.....watch your skew and the elevation.....You have to be VERY slow in moving the dish...but once aligned make sure it cannot move!!! My coworker had low readings especially on 129 before IKE...afterwards he evidently got lucky...all the birds now have higher signal levels like 100 or so!

The Houston spotbeam on 110 for HD locals is attached. I also attached the one for 119(SD locals).

What's your signal on 119 TP 5 and 7? And what's your signal on 110 TP 4?
LL
LL
post #3040 of 9896
On 110 tp4 is 45
On 119 tp 5 is 11
On 119 tp 7 is 12

I mostly watch the HD locals so I never noticed the SD locals weren't coming in.

How do I find out which channels are on 129? Any advice for my setup? I am trying to remember if all this started after I "moved" (not getting sat 129 channels) but it seems like it was OK for a while and then all of a sudden everything got worse. Maybe the dish moved.

which sat and TP do I put the settings on when I try to re-point the dish?
post #3041 of 9896
I'm still not getting Ch. 4.1. What's the word on KBTV?
post #3042 of 9896
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCangler View Post

On 110 tp4 is 45
On 119 tp 5 is 11
On 119 tp 7 is 12

I mostly watch the HD locals so I never noticed the SD locals weren't coming in.

How do I find out which channels are on 129? Any advice for my setup? I am trying to remember if all this started after I "moved" (not getting sat 129 channels) but it seems like it was OK for a while and then all of a sudden everything got worse. Maybe the dish moved.

which sat and TP do I put the settings on when I try to re-point the dish?

Here's a link that my uplink program feeds these tables everytime there is a change so it is considered to be live data.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?page=sub

If you aren't getting 129 then I'd say the dish has physically moved.

Pick any TP you can get signal on, then slowly adjust. Google around and I'm sure you'll find many guides on how to point your Dish 1000.
post #3043 of 9896
Thanks. That's some great info on that link. I will try to re-point this weekend and see what happens. Worse case, I guess I can "move" home and get a tech out here if I can't fix it.
post #3044 of 9896
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalberto View Post

Please report back on how this worked for you. I may have to do this as well if your first hand report is favorable.

Sorry I've been delayed in responding. My "moving" experience was great. The early morning phone call took just a few minutes, and by the time I was home, I was getting all the Houston channels. Took zero effort on my part. I would definitely recommend this to anyone wanting to get HD networks in our area.
post #3045 of 9896
Okay Richard at Channel 6, What is up with the sound dropping out every few seconds? It goes from normal 5.1 sound and then gets lower and lower then a pop and the sound drops out almost completely, and then back to normal again. This happens through out any hd show I record off of channel 6.1. Could this be a problem again with your equipment? It has been going on for about 2 or 3 weeks now.
post #3046 of 9896
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE D-CO5 View Post

Okay Richard at Channel 6, What is up with the sound dropping out every few seconds? It goes from normal 5.1 sound and then gets lower and lower then a pop and the sound drops out almost completely, and then back to normal again. This happens through out any hd show I record off of channel 6.1. Could this be a problem again with your equipment? It has been going on for about 2 or 3 weeks now.

ditto from my place, too.
post #3047 of 9896
My local CBS at home has been having similar problems from what I'm told. The engineer says that CBS stations are installing new HD receivers because CBS is moving to a new distribution system, and that the pops are being caused by that equipment. He's waiting on a fix.

Don't know if that's the situation for KFDM, but just putting it out there.

- Trip
post #3048 of 9896
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE D-CO5 View Post

Okay Richard at Channel 6, What is up with the sound dropping out every few seconds? It goes from normal 5.1 sound and then gets lower and lower then a pop and the sound drops out almost completely, and then back to normal again. This happens through out any hd show I record off of channel 6.1. Could this be a problem again with your equipment? It has been going on for about 2 or 3 weeks now.

If you guys haven't already, send Richard an e-mail at his KFDM address about this. I'm always e-mailing him about this issue & he may begin to think it's just me if he's not hearing from others. Sometimes he doesn't get on the AVS forum for days.
The problem is usually his encoder & he has to re-boot it when this happens, but I will say it does happen quite a bit more than I would expect.

Ken
post #3049 of 9896
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjameskirk View Post

I'm still not getting Ch. 4.1. What's the word on KBTV?

Anyone?
post #3050 of 9896
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjameskirk View Post

Anyone?

Scotty, beam us up!!!
post #3051 of 9896
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETX Aggie View Post

Sorry I've been delayed in responding. My "moving" experience was great. The early morning phone call took just a few minutes, and by the time I was home, I was getting all the Houston channels. Took zero effort on my part. I would definitely recommend this to anyone wanting to get HD networks in our area.

Thats ok...I moved too. Your right it was painless but the guy I got was confused but straightened him out. On a DVR note, I have changed all my local OTA records to the Local MPG4 via Sat. Quality is pretty darn close and less space on the DVR.

I will move back after December when Direct updates the locals to HD in our area. I guess I should qualify only if Fox is available.

Regards,
post #3052 of 9896
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjameskirk View Post

Anyone?

4.1? Coming in ok for me. Been fine since your original post. What's up?
post #3053 of 9896
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalberto View Post

4.1? Coming in ok for me. Been fine since your original post. What's up?

I haven't been able to pick it up since the storm. Tried 40.3, 40.2, 40.1 and 4.1. No signal detected at all. All other locals come in fine (36.1, 6.1, 6.2, 12.1, 34.1-5).

Are you getting through DishTV or a regular OTA receiver/antenna?
post #3054 of 9896
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE D-CO5 View Post

Okay Richard at Channel 6, What is up with the sound dropping out every few seconds? It goes from normal 5.1 sound and then gets lower and lower then a pop and the sound drops out almost completely, and then back to normal again. This happens through out any hd show I record off of channel 6.1. Could this be a problem again with your equipment? It has been going on for about 2 or 3 weeks now.

Surely it hasn't been going on for 3 weeks? I just heard about it last week when Jeff called me from KHOU stating that is was occuring on their station. While checking it out, I found that the Dolby(r) DP572 decoder loses input signal lock every time this happens. I was starting to suspect the 572, but if Trip is correct, then it's CBS, not my local equipment.

I am laboring under the assumption that this only happens to those TV sets using 5.1 audio. I have never heard this on my digital TV set at my home (yes, I finally bought one) or in the lobby here at KFDM. If it is occuring in "normal" stereo mode, let me know.

Sunday night, we reset all the Surround Sound equipment to fix this audio problem. It didn't help. I am still checking into the cause, but I suspect it is time I asked CBS about it. Hopefully, it will be resolved soon.

We have installed a new HD satellite receiver system for CBS. It might be a glitch in these receivers causing the problem.


Richard
post #3055 of 9896
Quote:
Originally Posted by hearrean View Post

If you guys haven't already, send Richard an e-mail at his KFDM address about this. I'm always e-mailing him about this issue & he may begin to think it's just me if he's not hearing from others. Sometimes he doesn't get on the AVS forum for days.
The problem is usually his encoder & he has to re-boot it when this happens, but I will say it does happen quite a bit more than I would expect.

Ken


I might have thought that it was just you, hearrean, but "Uncle Larry" called me and was having the same problem.

Richard
post #3056 of 9896
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv6 View Post

I am laboring under the assumption that this only happens to those TV sets using 5.1 audio. I have never heard this on my digital TV set at my home (yes, I finally bought one) or in the lobby here at KFDM. If it is occuring in "normal" stereo mode, let me know.

Richard

I was watching Letterman last night and would hear an intermittent "pop" every couple minutes. I'm using a 32" LCD, no external speakers or anything, signal from TWC. I tune in on 108.1 (maybe .2...can't recall at the moment.)
post #3057 of 9896
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv6 View Post

Surely it hasn't been going on for 3 weeks? I just heard about it last week when Jeff called me from KHOU stating that is was occuring on their station. While checking it out, I found that the Dolby(r) DP572 decoder loses input signal lock every time this happens. I was starting to suspect the 572, but if Trip is correct, then it's CBS, not my local equipment.

I am laboring under the assumption that this only happens to those TV sets using 5.1 audio. I have never heard this on my digital TV set at my home (yes, I finally bought one) or in the lobby here at KFDM. If it is occuring in "normal" stereo mode, let me know.

Sunday night, we reset all the Surround Sound equipment to fix this audio problem. It didn't help. I am still checking into the cause, but I suspect it is time I asked CBS about it. Hopefully, it will be resolved soon.

We have installed a new HD satellite receiver system for CBS. It might be a glitch in these receivers causing the problem.


Richard


I record a block of prime time shows on Monday night from 7:00-9:00 and again from 9:00-10:00. I can remember this being an ongoing problem every Monday going back at least 2 weeks, maybe three. I also watch channel 6 for ALL my hd shows as opposed to channel 11 from Houston. Every show I watch in primetime has has the audio pops for a while now. It is noticably annoying . I have my a/v receiver in auto mode and no special stereo settings at all- Just plain old 5.1. I don't use my tv speakers at all .
post #3058 of 9896
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjameskirk View Post

I haven't been able to pick it up since the storm. Tried 40.3, 40.2, 40.1 and 4.1. No signal detected at all. All other locals come in fine (36.1, 6.1, 6.2, 12.1, 34.1-5).

Are you getting through DishTV or a regular OTA receiver/antenna?

I am receiving through Directv HR20-100, H10 and through a digital tuner built-in.
post #3059 of 9896
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE D-CO5 View Post

I record a block of prime time shows on Monday night from 7:00-9:00 and again from 9:00-10:00. I can remember this being an ongoing problem every Monday going back at least 2 weeks, maybe three. I also watch channel 6 for ALL my hd shows as opposed to channel 11 from Houston. Every show I watch in primetime has has the audio pops for a while now. It is noticably annoying . I have my a/v receiver in auto mode and no special stereo settings at all- Just plain old 5.1. I don't use my tv speakers at all .

I noticed this too from a 6.1 recording of Without A Trace from last week. I haven't watched this weeks yet. When the wife notices it, it must be bad. Just annoying to me.
post #3060 of 9896
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE D-CO5 View Post

I record a block of prime time shows on Monday night from 7:00-9:00 and again from 9:00-10:00. I can remember this being an ongoing problem every Monday going back at least 2 weeks, maybe three. I also watch channel 6 for ALL my hd shows as opposed to channel 11 from Houston. Every show I watch in primetime has has the audio pops for a while now. It is noticably annoying . I have my a/v receiver in auto mode and no special stereo settings at all- Just plain old 5.1. I don't use my tv speakers at all .

Wow, I sure am glad someone else has been hearing this. I've been driving myself crazy trying to troubleshoot & thought it was my A/V processor. But then I discovered when I switched over to Ch 11 Houston, there was no problem. For this reason, I no longer watch 6-01. And yes it is during 5.1 material, but it doesn't do it on Ch 11 Houston during 5.1 broadcasts.

Ken
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Lafayette, LA / Beaumont, TX / Lake Charles, LA - HDTV