Clearly TiVo is a generation (or more) ahead. However, with the following goals (my goals):
- use cable rather than OTA or satelite (trees, tall trees),
- get HD content,
- enable timeshifting (including HD),
- and most importantly, do all the above in a wife friendly manner
then I have to accept these compromises (at the moment).
Our path here consisted of
- SD OTA with VHS
- to SD analog cable with VHS and DVD
- to Digital cable SD/HD with VHS for SD and DVD for 480p
and there were clearly too many remotes -- VHS, DVD, TV, STB, Receiver (I tried a Pronto but it just didn't do the job). I'm hoping to retire the VHS and consolidate TV watching to one remote (Movie watching to another remote for now until things settle out and then I'll consider something like a Harmony hard button remote).
I'll live with limited flexibility and give SA a chance to upgrade. I expect 1394 in Q2 and DVI in June (based on other posts). I'll post my experiences on each as they arrive.
Since this is an inexpensive monthly rental, I can always change my mind a few months down the road without being concerned about recovering a significant equipment investment.