or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Technical › VOOM offers great new deals!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

VOOM offers great new deals! - Page 6  

post #151 of 611
Voom should let Sears know about the free Plus Pack no longer available because the guy at sears told me it was part of the $399 deal still. Don't know why they would offer a deal then take part of deal away while they're still running the special.
post #152 of 611
I went to Sears today and bought the Start-Up Kit. The salesman knew nothing about the free PlusPack no longer being honored.

I read all the information in the Start-Up Kit and it specifically states the first PlusPack is included in the $39.90 package. The only mention of an expiration date is for the kit itself, which is 6/1/04.

I agree with APorter. I don't want to put Voom out of business and I realize they're relatively new to the scene, but if they're going to make the rules, they need to stick to them.
post #153 of 611
I have voom schedualled for next week but im not sure how i will interface with my crt projector. Im hoping that my dvi/rgb adapter from my radeon 9800 will do the trick.voom dvi to dvi/rgb adapter to rgb/bnc cable to projector. sound ok?
post #154 of 611
I guess there is a big difference from one cable company to another.

I get local hd channels with Discovery theater, ESPN HD, and HD Net for $21.95 per month. This includes the STB. Add in a premium channel like HBO for another $11.95 each. This works better for me than Voom as there is no up front costs.

windoor
post #155 of 611
Windoor sounds like you are getting a good deal on your cable. Do you not get any Sd channels included in that price. I could do the same thing with my cable if I requested but I would not receive ESPN, ESPN2, Fox Sports, cartoon channel for kid. Once Voom gets ESPN I'm there.
post #156 of 611
I get all the SD channels and something like another 20 digital channels, Plus all the music channels. The 21.95 is in addition to the $74 i'm already paying for expanded basic and cable modem service.

This adds the STB that I didn't have before, the HD content, Pay per view, and the digital channels. Some TV some music.

My total bill would amount to about 96.00 for expanded basic for the whole house, cable Internet for all pc's, HD for one tv with and output that provides SD to the master bedroom TV. (acts as slave) I do own my cable modem. All in all not a bad deal.

I'm with Suscom out of York Pa. The HD net was just added 3/1/04.


Oh, and by the way, 14 days and no refund from Voom yet.

Windoor
post #157 of 611
Called Voom today to see when I would get my refund. Equipment was picked up 2/23/04

I was originally told ten to fourteen days. Today is day fifteen.

Now I'm being told it could take up to five weeks.
Has anyone got a refund yet?

Will keep you posted on how it turns out.

Va Va Rip?

windoor
post #158 of 611
Got my replacement VOOM recveiver last night and now can receive all local OTC HDTV stations. Problem is that the image is much softer than the same using my Directv HDTV receiver and there is a shifting somehow of the blue slightly to the left, but not with the VOOM channels. What could be the cause?
post #159 of 611
Ouch!
post #160 of 611
My VOOM installation failed :(. For those of you not aware, here in the west coast the sat path requires an inclination angle of only ~10 degrees . In my case, there was a line of trees about half-mile away that covers up to 20 degrees :mad:. The installer told me that here in the Portland, Oregon area he has been able to successfully install only about 5 out of the last 25 orders. He also mentioned that VOOM plans to get bandwith in another sat to improve coverage in the west coast. Has anybody hear about that?
Portland is just a medium size city but I bet VOOM must be missing a lot of business opportunity in othe west coast larger cities such as LA, SF and Seattle.
post #161 of 611
My alternatives now are:

1) Go back to Comcast (no Discovery HD here :( )

2) Dish or Direct TV

3) Wait for VOOM to improve coverage :rolleyes:

4) Quit job, move to the east coast and get VOOM :D


Walter
post #162 of 611
Well, start moving!
post #163 of 611
Same issues in Seattle. My install guy was out last Thursday and pretty much tried to give up installing Voom, saying he only was able to get 1 out of 5 installed so far. Well I finally gave him a few ideas on how to search for the Voom Dish in the sky. I showed him how to hold the dish on his chest with his meter hooked up to it. Sure enouhg we found the area of the property that got a signal. Walter, you are right about the line beign tough to get but we also get some real lousy installers. The kid was real nice, but he got to my place, drilled four holes in the eve of my roof and then gave up after about 10 minutes. I then mentioned maybe he should just walk around with the dish til he found a signal. I would bet out of those 25 orders you mentioned the guy trying in Oregon he could get more than 5 with a better understanding of how to point a satellite dish.
post #164 of 611
Quote:
Originally posted by keithaxis
Same issues in Seattle. My install guy was out last Thursday and pretty much tried to give up installing Voom, saying he only was able to get 1 out of 5 installed so far. Well I finally gave him a few ideas on how to search for the Voom Dish in the sky. I showed him how to hold the dish on his chest with his meter hooked up to it. Sure enouhg we found the area of the property that got a signal. Walter, you are right about the line beign tough to get but we also get some real lousy installers. The kid was real nice, but he got to my place, drilled four holes in the eve of my roof and then gave up after about 10 minutes. I then mentioned maybe he should just walk around with the dish til he found a signal. I would bet out of those 25 orders you mentioned the guy trying in Oregon he could get more than 5 with a better understanding of how to point a satellite dish.
My install guy said he was the only one covering this area. He never got the dish out of the truck. Instead, he simply climbed to the highest point on top of my house and tried using his meter. Now that you mention the different technique your installer used (upon your suggestion), maybe I should call back VOOM to see if they would do another trial with a differentr installer.
post #165 of 611
I'm just south of you (Corvallis) and am scheduled for installation in two days. I hope I end up with a more skilled installer. Actually, I wish Voom would just let me do it. I installed my old satellite system successfully. According to my compass readings, I have a clear shot to the sky from 0 deg. up so maybe I'll be one of the lucky 5 out of 25.
post #166 of 611
Quote:
Originally posted by YNOS
I'm just south of you (Corvallis) and am scheduled for installation in two days. I hope I end up with a more skilled installer. Actually, I wish Voom would just let me do it. I installed my old satellite system successfully. According to my compass readings, I have a clear shot to the sky from 0 deg. up so maybe I'll be one of the lucky 5 out of 25.
Probably the same installer (Adams Comm). Sounds like you should be fine. Good luck!!!
post #167 of 611
My first one walked on the roof, looked, told me I couldn't get it, and left.
How's that for service? Luckily I wasn't going to give up that easily, and got another good installer that was willing to do his job, and it worked fine.
post #168 of 611
Vaggeto, did your 2nd installer did something else beyong using his compass to get it working? For example, keithaxis (see about 5 post above) mentioned that his installer had to hold the dish in his chest with the meter to find the signal.
post #169 of 611
I have an install sched. for next Wed. East cost here. Will they install the Sat. on a pole in the yard instead on on the roof or porch? I requested this when ordering Voom that installer call 48 hrs before install so I may pick up a fence pole up if they will do this instead.
post #170 of 611
Quote:
Originally posted by keithaxis
Same issues in Seattle. My install guy was out last Thursday and pretty much tried to give up installing Voom, saying he only was able to get 1 out of 5 installed so far. Well I finally gave him a few ideas on how to search for the Voom Dish in the sky. I showed him how to hold the dish on his chest with his meter hooked up to it. Sure enouhg we found the area of the property that got a signal. Walter, you are right about the line beign tough to get but we also get some real lousy installers. The kid was real nice, but he got to my place, drilled four holes in the eve of my roof and then gave up after about 10 minutes. I then mentioned maybe he should just walk around with the dish til he found a signal. I would bet out of those 25 orders you mentioned the guy trying in Oregon he could get more than 5 with a better understanding of how to point a satellite dish.
If you can get a Voom installer to walk around with a dish on his chest, please get a jpeg and post it.
post #171 of 611
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE VOOM DVI OUT CARRIES RGB?

THANK YOU.
post #172 of 611
Quote:
Originally posted by Walter L.
Vaggeto, did your 2nd installer did something else beyong using his compass to get it working? For example, keithaxis (see about 5 post above) mentioned that his installer had to hold the dish in his chest with the meter to find the signal.
Nope... he actually just went ahead and installed in in a MUCH lower/closer spot then the original installers said it wouldn't work from. They were just too lazy, or complete idiots and decided not to do it.
The second installer was great. He even was working into nighttime and while it was snowing(which is why it didn't go on the better spot on the roof). He was a great installer. The difference between the two install experiences was night and day.
post #173 of 611
Vaggeto, don't feel so bad. To get HDTV into my home it took four appointments and three visits (one no-show). The first person wanted to confiscate my DirecTiVo and I threw him out of my house. The second installer, being advertised by his boss was an HDTV professional that couldn't get HDTV into my home. The third installer never showed up, and the fourth installer claimed to have never installed HDTV before did a wonderful job. HAH!
post #174 of 611
Why don't they just let people do their own installs if the only "professional installers" they can provide all seem to be idiots?:D
post #175 of 611
Well, I got a call this morning from the installer company saying they want to send a 2nd tech this afternoon. The 1st tech reported no lign-of-sight. With a success record of 5 out of 25 no wonder why his boss wants a 2nd opinion!!!
I'm crossing my fingers hoping I'll be watching VOOM tonight!!!
post #176 of 611
Quote:
Originally posted by Walter L.

I'm crossing my fingers hoping I'll be watching VOOM tonight!!!
Good luck!

I'm thinking your going to be allright because the dish elevation will be at about 10 degrees, but the sat will come in at an angle from that and give you some additional leeway.

Don't take no for an answer...make the guy try.


Bill
post #177 of 611
walter, make sure the guy has teh dish pointing down some. It will look odd but the dish for voom in the NW should be facing towards the ground, not towards teh sky at all. I would say my voom dish it pointing 10% towards the ground if you look at the dish from the side. Before I had him walk around with the dish held to his chest he had it pointing to the sky slightly, which won't do it up here so far from the bird voom uses....Good luck...By the way, I have big fir trees about 600 or 700 feet away that rise aout 80 feet and I still found the voom signal throught that...Trees may look to be a hindrance but not always.....
post #178 of 611
Quote:
Originally posted by WanMan
Vaggeto, don't feel so bad. To get HDTV into my home it took four appointments and three visits (one no-show). The first person wanted to confiscate my DirecTiVo and I threw him out of my house. The second installer, being advertised by his boss was an HDTV professional that couldn't get HDTV into my home. The third installer never showed up, and the fourth installer claimed to have never installed HDTV before did a wonderful job. HAH!
Ouch... so you still don't have it?

Also, what's up with the guy trying to get your DirecTivo? Can you explain that a bit? I can't image why that would happen.
post #179 of 611
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Biggles
Good luck!

Don't take no for an answer...make the guy try.

Bill
Exactly... as we have found out, just because they say they are professionals doesn't mean they are. Make sure you have more then the word of someone telling you that you can't receive it.
post #180 of 611
At least you guys had someone show up. I was supposed to have VOOM installed yesterday and they didn't show up. I called VOOM and they admitted to not scheduling with the local installer. I was given a $50 credit on my first bill (if I ever get someone to show up to install).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Technical
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Technical › VOOM offers great new deals!