Today I purchased my first television set. It is a LG 50PV450. I am currently attempting to get optimal picture settings.
post #1891 of 2089
7/9/11 at 9:18pm
Got this set too, just today!
Edit: Formatting Sorry, I'm new here.
1. LG 50PV400
2. As a recent college graduate, I am living solo for the first time in my life. As long as I lived in an apartment during college, my roommate technically owned the television, so when we split I was TV-less. I dove headfirst into the ocean of information out there, from professional reviewers, to average consumers, to die-hard videophiles. I made a quick mental checklist of what I will actually want this TV for, and what I don't need in a set. I researched the differences, pros/cons, and current models of (LED) LCD's vs. Plasmas. I knew I couldn't afford a high-end Samsung or Panasonic set, even though I heard they were the top of the line in terms of longevity and performance.
I took a trip to Costco, Sears, and Best Buy. Costco had the best prices. With everything considered, I pulled the trigger on the decently priced, decently equipped, 50" LG.
3. What I like best about my plasma, and so far I haven't even had it for 24 hrs, is the excellent picture quality I'm getting compared to the 40" Sammy LCD I've replaced. The colors are vibrant, the edges are crisp, the viewing angles are (from what I can tell) quite wide, and overall it's just a clean addition to any entertainment zone. The speakers on this thing have been doing the job nicely, seeing as I don't have a sound system yet.
4. It's a bit heavy, weighing in at about 65.5 lbs if I remember correctly. Be so far, fresh out of the box, that's it!
5. Well not sure, but I guess anything could go here... 3D would have been nice, but again, it's a feature I can happily live without for now. Uhhh... those web apps like Netflix would have been nice.
6. The stand felt very very rigid, but the television feels a bit too... "plastic-y". A firmer box would have made me more confident when lifting it on to the stand, but it went off without a hitch.
7. The superb picture quality, for sure. All the sets I've used, essentially, over the past 3 years or so have been LCD's. The one plasma I had at my place at college, a 37" Westinghouse, was nice but we didn't get to watch HD cable or movies on it (only played Xbox 360). The speakers are a welcome surprise, as well, but the way my TV area is situated in a corner has always been good at bouncing sound around the room.
8. None, yet! Knock on wood.
9. The price at which I purchased this particular set is what really convinced me to buy it!
10. Nothing, really... except I wish there were more LG discussion on this forum! I went into this purchase with only a couple real reviews on here, many positive reviews on the store's site, and that's pretty much it. I am very happy with it so far.
In my living room, it just replaced my Samsung LN40A530 and I have to say I think it was a worthy upgrade.
Can't wait for football season... (Please, let there be a football season!)