or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Houston, TX - Comcast / DBS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Houston, TX - Comcast / DBS - Page 187

post #5581 of 9937
mmatheny,

I think you should check the diagnostic pages and make sure you have a really good signal. It needs to be in the proper range not too high and not too low. Also, make sure there is not too much noise in the signal. Look at the first post in the SARA Tips & Tricks thread (click on the SARA link in my signature). If there is anything wrong call Comcast to get them to fix it. Look at removing splitters and/or using an amplifier. I have a whole house amplifier that Time Warner installed that has helped me a lot. I was having problems with VOD working when they introduced the "Premiums on Demand" before the amplifier was installed and that fixed the problem. That was before the DVR was offered in the Houston area.
post #5582 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post

Man, I traded in my old HD-DVR 8300's for some new ones because when I would hit play on something that was recorded it would freeze and require a pull the plug and plug back in reset. And everything I watch has so many glitches like a second of a hiccup with bad pixelation. I can't explain it much more but I'm sure if it's happened to you, you know what I'm talking about. It happens way to much and I've had them out earlier this year to fix it.

I'm seriously going to bite the bullet and look at Dish or one of the others. Maybe Comcast will let me just suscribe to their internet only. I pay way to much per month to be having issues like this. I can't remember the last time I watched an HD show without it messing up one way or another.


PS, BE SAFE GUYS. I'm riding it out in Dickinson. F-U IKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am having the same issue, little studders here and there.

I guess we are asking too much to just have a issue-free HD DVR.

Just can't believe i pay soo much for this service, I am definatly going to uverse when it becomes availible. I wish everyone would do so maybe comcast would get off their lazy asses.
post #5583 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB View Post

mmatheny,

I think you should check the diagnostic pages and make sure you have a really good signal. It needs to be in the proper range not too high and not too low. Also, make sure there is not too much noise in the signal. Look at the first post in the SARA Tips & Tricks thread (click on the SARA link in my signature). If there is anything wrong call Comcast to get them to fix it. Look at removing splitters and/or using an amplifier. I have a whole house amplifier that Time Warner installed that has helped me a lot. I was having problems with VOD working when they introduced the "Premiums on Demand" before the amplifier was installed and that fixed the problem. That was before the DVR was offered in the Houston area.


Well, I just removed a splitter I had on the outside of the box. I also have an 8 port cable amp that boosts the signal 3dB per port. But I also have a splitter coming out the wall that splits into the TV, Cable box, and my HTPC.

Let me see if the tips and tricks say what exact, minuscule, perfect signal level this POS requires.

Also, seems now ANY channel I watch is bad. Right now I'm trying to watch a Bones I recorded the other day, and it is so bad, I just lost interest in trying to figure out what they are saying.
post #5584 of 9937
Well, the show I was watching was recorded before I removed the splitter. Just went out and put it back in to see if that was it, nope - absolutely unwatchable on almost every channel. Thanx Comcast for making me feel I can depend on you to provide comprehensible (not) audio/video during an emergency.

Gosh, I wish their customer reps would browse all these forums!
post #5585 of 9937
OK - so, I took the multi drop amp out, and guess what, all audio dropouts stopped!! OK, since I have been bashing Comcast all this time for the audio dropouts, I am going to be just as big a man and apologize for not troubleshooting deeper. Not to say the Cisco/SA boxes are a generation or two behind, but at least one of the most irritating issues has been solved.

Again Comcast, sorry for all the negative press about the audio dropouts.

And I don't think the level was too hot for the STB. I think there's something weird about that dist. amp that is causing it, because it did it on regular TV and my HTPC.

I will talk to the vendor about it.
post #5586 of 9937
OK I TAKE IT ALL BACK!! Checked further and was still getting audio dropouts on CH25, went to TV input 25 - solid audio.

Now, I know that the STB remaps CH25 to it's digital equivalent. SO, their digital transmission or this box just won't work!!

Guess I'll be swapping my new box out again and open a service call! Damn!
post #5587 of 9937
Comocast died @ 10:45 on Friday and is still down for the count. CenterPoint and ATT are up and running. And the D__ed SA-8300HD won't even let us play back recorded material without the boot up software from Comcast. Lovely.

All in all, we've been lucky to escape the storm with just some minor damage. There is one norm...Comcast...who never challenges themselves to excell.
post #5588 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatheny View Post


Gosh, I wish their customer reps would browse all these forums!

Comcast CSR's browsing these forums would be tantamount to them kissing a frog in the fog, without being absolutely certain of the direction the frog is facing.

For them to respond to these posts or even share them with their management would be equal to kissing the frog in the fog knowing doggone well which way the frog was facing.

I think you'll find my .sig altogether fitting.
.
post #5589 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdguru View Post

Comocast died @ 10:45 on Friday and is still down for the count. CenterPoint and ATT are up and running. And the D__ed SA-8300HD won't even let us play back recorded material without the boot up software from Comcast. Lovely.

All in all, we've been lucky to escape the storm with just some minor damage. There is one norm...Comcast...who never challenges themselves to excell.

We lost Comcast coincidental to the loss of A/C power. We came back up on generator but Comcast was gone. However, the very instant A/C power was restored, so too was the Comcast signal. (Cinco Ranch/Heritage Grand).
.
post #5590 of 9937
Since my power is out, I took my DVR over to a friends house who has Comcast, hoping to record missed show and watching them later. I was elated when the clock came up and the guide was available, however all channels just show black (including the SD channels.) Anyone have a clue what the dvr seems ok but all channels are blank?
post #5591 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Meador View Post

Since my power is out, I took my DVR over to a friends house who has Comcast, hoping to record missed show and watching them later. I was elated when the clock came up and the guide was available, however all channels just show black (including the SD channels.) Anyone have a clue what the dvr seems ok but all channels are blank?

I am pretty sure Comcast uses addressable taps. While your receiver was properly subscribed, it was not subscribed from that specific port in Comcast's network.

This prevents someone from subscribing multiple receivers to one account at a high-tier service level then sharing them with family or friends who have say only basic service or a lower tier.
.
post #5592 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot View Post

I am pretty sure Comcast uses addressable taps. While your receiver was properly subscribed, it was not subscribed from that specific port in Comcast's network.

This prevents someone from subscribing multiple receivers to one account at a high-tier service level then sharing them with family or friends who have say only basic service or a lower tier.
.

I suspected such. Thanks for the info!
post #5593 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot View Post

I am pretty sure Comcast uses addressable taps. While your receiver was properly subscribed, it was not subscribed from that specific port in Comcast's network.

This prevents someone from subscribing multiple receivers to one account at a high-tier service level then sharing them with family or friends who have say only basic service or a lower tier.
.

Comcast does not use addressable taps. However, if your friend is in a different neighborhood, it could cause an authentication error when reconciling to your account because the node your friend is on may be coded differently than yours.

On the power issue, Comcast relies on commercial power for the amplifiers to work. Even if your house has commercial power restored, the node and/or amplifiers feeding your block may be on a different power circuit which has not yet been restored. Since that amplifier has no power, it cannot pass the signal. Once the run from the node to your house has continuous power, you should have signal, provided your drop cable was not torn down by the storm.
If you live in an aerial easment area, there could still be downed fiber lines somewhere.

Mike,
I am fairly sure your problem with audio dropouts is not a result of the box. I have an RNG 200 and I rarely get audio dropouts. I would be willing to bet you have a signal issue--probably more than one. If your signal is weak from such things as an excessily long drop, or home run you can have dropouts. If you have more than 11 db total splitter loss, (ie a two-way feeding a 4-way feeding another 2-way) you won't have enough signal. The fix would be an amplifier. If you use the wrong kind of amplifier, it can cause excessive noise which will be a problem and can cause dropouts.

Also, are you using HDMI or the fiber optic digital connection for audio?

Also, whatever you record will be played back. So if you are having audio dropoouts (or microblocking or macroblocking for that matter) when you watch, they will be recorded and when you play it back, you will experience it again, even if you change your configuration.
post #5594 of 9937
I can't get the Comcast remote to work with my new RNG200 box. I called tech support who confirmed I had the correct remote. I swapped it for another remote and am having the same problem. Before I go back to replace the box, could someone confirm that I have the correct remote.

Thanks
LL
post #5595 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by cripen View Post

I can't get the Comcast remote to work with my new RNG200 box. I called tech support who confirmed I had the correct remote. I swapped it for another remote and am having the same problem. Before I go back to replace the box, could someone confirm that I have the correct remote.

Thanks

No thats the wrong one, the new one is easy to point. Its a gun metal grey color and the Comcast logo at the bottom is white, the old one is black.

INFO: http://quickxote.com/media/rng/slide_2.html
post #5596 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by truelegend55 View Post

No thats the wrong one, the new one is easy to point. Its a gun metal grey color and the Comcast logo at the bottom is white, the old one is black.

INFO:

Figures. I called Comcast and described the remote in detail. I was told that the RNG200 has a specific remote and that I had the correct one. I guess I'll try again and hope to get a more competent rep.

Thanks for your help!
post #5597 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommDave View Post

On the power issue, Comcast relies on commercial power for the amplifiers to work. Even if your house has commercial power restored, the node and/or amplifiers feeding your block may be on a different power circuit which has not yet been restored. Since that amplifier has no power, it cannot pass the signal. Once the run from the node to your house has continuous power, you should have signal, provided your drop cable was not torn down by the storm.

AC-derived DC powered amplifiers is pretty universal throughout the CATV industry, though one power supply in one location can (and often does) power multiple amplifiers (or downstream distribution amplifiers). In spite of large areas affected, battery backup is just not practical because of the number that would be required in a system along with the cost of periodic battery maintenance and replacement required. (batteries don't last forever)

I think one thing to come out of hurricane IKE's massive devastation of the infrastructure will be a general awakening of the public to the frailty of Internet-derived alternate communications systems. Even landline-based DSL and legacy phone systems went down when neighborhood SLC huts (*WITH* battery backup) lost power and their batteries ultimately ran down. Even cellular communications were lost. Satellite-TV (and internet) stayed up as long as you had power and your dish didn't get blown off-path.
.
post #5598 of 9937
I am in the same boat as desribed here...cable and internet down on Friday. I reported the problem when I got back to work Wednesday (why did I need to report an outage). They actually scheduled a visit by a technician that confirmed the whole block is out OMG. But he could not fix the problem because those issues are for maintainance.

So I scheduled AT&T to send me a DSL modem (phone was only down for 1/2 day). I am also looking at changing back to satelite. What are the best options here in Houston? Is U-verse working well enough to record 2 HD channels simultaneously? Does Dish DVR work as well as everybody describes? What is the best HD option other than Comcrap?
post #5599 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletchoman View Post

I am in the same boat as desribed here...cable and internet down on Friday. I reported the problem when I got back to work Wednesday (why did I need to report an outage). They actually scheduled a visit by a technician that confirmed the whole block is out OMG. But he could not fix the problem because those issues are for maintainance.

So I scheduled AT&T to send me a DSL modem (phone was only down for 1/2 day). I am also looking at changing back to satelite. What are the best options here in Houston? Is U-verse working well enough to record 2 HD channels simultaneously? Does Dish DVR work as well as everybody describes? What is the best HD option other than Comcrap?

Uverse has the same limitation with regards to power supply as comcast. The VRAD boxes require commercial power to operate just like the the node/amplifier system.
post #5600 of 9937
Power was only off for 4 days...all power is restored now but still no cable or internet from Comcrap.

I wonder why they (crapcast) didn't already know that they had a problem. Why do I have to call before they are aware? given that I have power, why could the tech they sent not fix the issue (he admitted 5 houses were out on my drop).

AT&T seems to understand the importance of keeping a reliable connection. land line has always been very reliable. All providers should recognize that they need to effect repairs at least as fast as a competitor can install new service.

Bye Bye crudcast internet...hello AT&T DSL...
post #5601 of 9937
I had Uverse installed this weekend and thought I would give my impressions. I'll keep it very brief given the thread subject, however thought a few of you might be interested.

Pros:
- Installation was rediculously painless. Enjoyable experience with a professional and knowledgable tech.
- All recievers are HD
- Guide is head and shoulders above Comcast
- HD channels - wow it is really great to have so many options
- SD picture quality is very good

Con:
2HD streams, I can see this as very limiting for larger families
HD Picture -more on this below.

The HD picture is marginally less sharp compared to Comcast. The best way to put it is softer, but I'll be honest only people looking for it will notice it and I almost think think I see it because I know I should be! It is NOT a show stopper as it once was. This is viewing done over HDMI on a 51" sammy DLP. It is truely a trade off as most things are. A hair less HD quality picture for many more channels and whole house DVR just around the corner (Dallas just got theirs). Also, it is really nice to be with a provider who appears to want to better their system and has delivered on their promises thus far.
post #5602 of 9937
Thanks Josh125,

This is a very helpful response. I looked at U-verse a year ago and rejected it because I could only get 1 HD stream.

Based on your response, I think I need to look again.
post #5603 of 9937
A few questions for those of you with the RNG200
- Anybody confirm that esata enclosures work as in actually try one? If so which enclosure?
- Does firewire channel changing still work with this package?
http://exdeus.home.comcast.net/~exdeus/stbfirewire/
I don't care about capture (and who does with 5c up the wazoo here in houston) just the channel changing part.
- Since the remote control has changed I'm wondering if slingbox supports it yet.
post #5604 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot View Post

AC-derived DC powered amplifiers is pretty universal throughout the CATV industry, though one power supply in one location can (and often does) power multiple amplifiers (or downstream distribution amplifiers). In spite of large areas affected, battery backup is just not practical because of the number that would be required in a system along with the cost of periodic battery maintenance and replacement required. (batteries don't last forever)

I think one thing to come out of hurricane IKE's massive devastation of the infrastructure will be a general awakening of the public to the frailty of Internet-derived alternate communications systems. Even landline-based DSL and legacy phone systems went down when neighborhood SLC huts (*WITH* battery backup) lost power and their batteries ultimately ran down. Even cellular communications were lost. Satellite-TV (and internet) stayed up as long as you had power and your dish didn't get blown off-path.
.

My phone service was down for half a day. I called ATT and they sent someone out. He told us that ATT was powered by the electric grid and that when the power went off the batteries kicked in. Now that the batteries had run down, they were going to hook up generators to power the telephone service. The phone service was back up by that evening, even though I still don't have power at my house or in my area (thank goodness for neighbors with generators).

Comcast could do the same thing with its distribution hubs and put in amplifiers rather than wait on Centerpoint to finish fixing everything. It seems to me they are taking the easy way out and passing the blame to others, rather than being proactive about this type of stuff.
post #5605 of 9937
Got power back up at 8:00pm on the 15th - STILL NO Comcast!! (internet or cable). And yes, it's ******** I cannot watch the shows I recorded. Better be back up today, season starts tonight!
post #5606 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletchoman View Post

I am also looking at changing back to satelite. What are the best options here in Houston?

I switched to DirecTV a couple of months ago and could not be happier with the HD offerings and reception. I'm fortunate to not have any line of sight issues and the installer spent quite a bit of time getting the dish aimed perfectly. Luckily I didn't have any alignment issues after the storm either. HD MPEG4 picture is great- SD picture is a little softer than I got with Comcast. DVR works well and has more features than Comcast does. IMHO, I've been really happy and haven't looked back!
post #5607 of 9937
I think that "quickcomment" has it right. If ATT can set up generators...which they have done in our neighborhood, what prevents Comcast from doing the same thing. This is especially important for those who have "bundled" their service with TV, Internet, phone and maybe alarm monitoring. The "business" line that carries my DSL was down for a very short period last Sunday, but they had a generator on it by 3 in the afternoon. The only time it's been down was when they were late filling the gas tank.

Meanwhile...most of our neighborhood (Maplewood South) is still dark. We are VERY lucky to be on a separate circuit in our block, and have been up since last Sunday morning. The daughter and son-in-law are using the generator I bought.

I think the results of the storm illustrate the limitations of Comcast's technology. Mmatheny is right, there should be minimum, resident software that would allow us to watch recorded programs...at the very least. While I have resisted sat and U-verse, I'm going to have to take another look at them...especially with the advent of MPEG-4 and U-verse's additional bandwidth, which allows 2 HD streams.

BTW...to get TV reception, I keep a little "TERK", indoor antenna, and while not perfect, it has done a reasonable job of receiving the local digital signals, except when a large truck drives down the side street...between the antenna and the tower farm. We are lucky in that I can walk out to the front sidewalk, look SW, and see the antenna farm.

OTOH...nothing could have made last night's Emmy show viable. My wife kept asking me to "check it out"...and each time...we were both amazed how inane it was. The only note of real humor was when Lou Horvitz won best directing for "specials" for the Oscars and they switched to a shot of him in the production truck, directing the Emmy broadcast. He's one of a handful of pros who can deal with chaos surrounding programs such as these. Trust me...I have directed similar, smaller projects (when I still had some dark hair), and it's generally NOT FUN.
post #5608 of 9937
ok, just to make sure I am reading it correctly:

My SA8300HD DVR doesn't work because the Comcast folks aren't all up and running on their side?

It looks like I am a little further south of hdguru, but I am fortunate enough to have internet and cable working (though straight into an older television).

Thanks everyone!
post #5609 of 9937
Tuta:
try calling 1800COMCAST and going through the menus to select problem with Cable, then select the prompt to send a signal hit to your box. May do nothing, may do something. Worth a try. That was one suggestion promoted by Comcast earlier today during an announcement on cable tv outages.

Power issues in general:
Look folks, cable lines do not always run the same path that power lines do. But similar to power lines, your neighbors on one side may have cable, but you don't, because you could be on different distribution blocks. The problem is that even IF you have power, who knows if the cable distribution block SERVING YOUR HOUSE has power? It may still be off at the distribution block, meaning you don't get cable! So if you still have areas around you that are without power, then yes, you might be without cable. I think that's how this works. Just trying to open the curtains so to speak. I know everyone's grumpy about no power, no cable, etc., all I'm trying to do is explain in simple terms.

Internet outages (DSL):
As for DSL, just because you may get your power and phone back up and running, does NOT guarantee that your DSL will also be on. A coworker had his phone back up and running for 3 days before DSL was back up. So anyone thinking of switching to AT&T because they don't think there are issues there should think twice.

fletchoman:
Yes, Uverse has made significant advances in its service in the past year. Please do a search on Chron.com for Dwight Silverman's most recent "review". He provides a lot of answers to your questions on there and I think you will find it very favorable. Once they rollout "whole-house" service later this year, IMHO it will be a worthy challenger to Comcast (my issue has been with limited number of feeds). For others, it already IS a worthy opponent (I have differing requirements in order to switch).
post #5610 of 9937
Well, good news (to me!!) I can ping my router, so maybe I'm up. Hope so! Anyway, 25% reduction in Sept. bill!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Houston, TX - Comcast / DBS