or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Houston, TX - Comcast / DBS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Houston, TX - Comcast / DBS - Page 3

post #61 of 9937
Quote:


Originally posted by Crazy MB
Anyone know if any Texans games will be in HD?


I know they have at least one game on ESPN's Sunday night football against the Vikings.
post #62 of 9937
Right...but actually the vikings are a fox game, the sunday night is against Green Bay. I was really wondering if there was a snowballs chance in hell our local ABC affiliate would be producing any games in HD.
Thanks
post #63 of 9937
TWC did bring the 6200 box with 7.10 firmware, for a trip charge, after I requested firewire output.

Just wanted to confirm that we now have active DVI output in Houston with this setup . Be prepared for the techs to know nothing about making the DVI function, and use this board to resolve any handshake issues over the DVI port.

Thanks, Mikekask, and others for sharing the secret!
post #64 of 9937
Per Ken H., Channel 26 will be carrying the All Star game in HD.
post #65 of 9937
piffle = thanks for the info on DVI!

I apologize for the newb-ness of this post, but I am the tech support person for my family and my brother just spent a bunch of money on a new HD television.

I went out to hook it up for him based on my impression that DVI would be the optimum choice, but I was unable to get any picture out of his Motorola box. The tech support girl was clueless about DVI in general, but eventually came back with a "that is not currently working."

Since it is a long trip back to his house, how can I easily get him to determine which box (and firmware) he has?

I will ask about DVI vs. component in another forum... Thanks!

~~~~
BTW -- TWC Houston now has the DVR on their "on hold" message. I have been told 45-60 days after they begin to advertise... Hopefully, on-hold qualifies as advertising!
post #66 of 9937
Thread Starter 
It is also listed as coming soon on the new updated TWC Houston
website

Not clear if it is the HDTV or SDTV DVR though.

They have digital phone listed as well on the website.
post #67 of 9937
Note that it also says the DVR will record 2 shows at once or record one while watching another. As TWC houston uses Moto head end and boxes the only Moto box that has those capabilites is the 6412 dual tuner HD?

Could we really be getting this box? And when?
post #68 of 9937
Wow, TWC has totally redesigned their website.

I was looking at the HDTV webpage and noticed the channel numbers for showtime are not 470 and 471. I'm not at home right now so I can't check to see if these changed since this past weekend, if so they may be getting ready to add more HD premium channels.
post #69 of 9937
Quote:
Originally posted by ThurmanWitte
Wow, TWC has totally redesigned their website.

I was looking at the HDTV webpage and noticed the channel numbers for showtime are not 470 and 471. I'm not at home right now so I can't check to see if these changed since this past weekend, if so they may be getting ready to add more HD premium channels.

I haven't checked lately since I don't subscribe to Showtime. The list doesn't show TNTHD at 295, so who knows how accurate it really is.

CFC
post #70 of 9937
Quote:
Originally posted by PIFFLE
TWC did bring the 6200 box with 7.10 firmware, for a trip charge, after I requested firewire output.

Just wanted to confirm that we now have active DVI output in Houston with this setup . Be prepared for the techs to know nothing about making the DVI function, and use this board to resolve any handshake issues over the DVI port.

Thanks, Mikekask, and others for sharing the secret!

That is great!!
Do you need to currently have a 6200 with 5.04 for them to change the box out, or can they swap out my 5100?
Thanks

CFC
post #71 of 9937
The PVR has started going out for testing with employees and soon should be available to interested customers. It is starting up one service area at a time at this point. Tidwell has it. As of today things are going well. I believe the box we will get is the SA8000HD. Keep the faith. It would be good to have a few more HD selections available too, but I haven't seen any changes in the guide lineup so far.

TerryB
post #72 of 9937
TerryB, any suggestions on obtaining the pvr? I (like most people here) have been on the "list" since the beginning. I call 2-3 times a day to just see the answers I get (and maybe hope that someone will say "sure we have that, when would you like to pick that up Mr XXX")

Today's Answers:

"Sometime this summer"

"End of July, Beginning of August"


Thanks (in advance) for any help you can give......
post #73 of 9937
The list is real, you have a location you are served from and the software has to be put in place in that node. When the software is in place they will start notifying you that the equipment is available. Both my contacts tell me I'm number eight on my node and I've been after them at least weekly since early spring. As I said the hardware exists in Houston, they are testing with employees and if nothing big rears its head they will add nodes and "friendly betas" and then general release. I would GUESS by end of month unless they run into something or lack of available hardware.

TerryB
post #74 of 9937
TerryB, Hopefully you are right.... I can't wait to start recording in HD.

Today's Answers:

"We have pushed the launch of the DVR to spring 05"

"DVRs should be available late August or early September"

"DVRs should be available soon, probably middle August" <--- this guy actually had a lot of good info (similar to what you had to say TerryB): He said the DVR would record 100 hrs of analog, 80 hrs of digital, or 20 hrs of HD. He also said that they currently have dvrs working in the main office and areas surrounding the main office (don't know if it is only employees or what) and that if all goes well dvrs should be made available to all soon. He also elaborated on prices. He said the only fee would be $5 additional a month for the box (this isn't consistent with austin's pricing structure, but who knows what TWC is gonna do).
post #75 of 9937
I love the changing answers!

I've been told fairly regularly -- since last November at least -- that DVR has been in beta testing with employees only... I only call once a month though (still bitter about the whole RR deal)
post #76 of 9937
I called on Tuesday and asked if DVR would be available in time for the Olympics. I don't think anybody there knows exactly what the answer is. The woman first asked me when the olympics were and then told me it was possible. I should have bought a TIVO 6 months ago, but I wanted to wait for the TWC box.
post #77 of 9937
Quote:


Originally posted by TerryB
The PVR has started going out for testing with employees and soon should be available to interested customers. It is starting up one service area at a time at this point. Tidwell has it. As of today things are going well. I believe the box we will get is the SA8000HD. Keep the faith. It would be good to have a few more HD selections available too, but I haven't seen any changes in the guide lineup so far.

TerryB

How sure are you about them deploying a SA made box in Houston? Seems really odd since head end and all other boxes in use now are Motorola, if you discount a few remaining old Pioneer analog boxes still arround. I really thought TWC Houston would roll out the Moto 6208 or 6412. And the news on the TWC website says the box will record two shows at once, indicating perhaps the 6412 is the one to be rolled out. I may be reading too much into this as it could just be a page copied from another district and not corrected for Houston. Really would like to know what box TWC Houston plans to release.

THanks!
post #78 of 9937
James,
I double checked with my contact again today. Since it's a no-no to post from the office, I had to wait until I got home to reply. It's the SA8000HD as far as I can tell, there were obviously significant problems with Moto or we would have had the 6208 a long time ago. Months ago I was within hours of getting a Moto to beta test and the program was scratched. I'm still waiting for my node to get the software push so I can get one. There will be SA units coming to Houston TWC customers soon unless some huge "aw sh***" pops up.

TerryB
post #79 of 9937
Quote:


...how can I easily get him to determine which box (and firmware) he has?

Tuta - He would be very lucky to have the right firmware on the box used for HD service at that TV. To check firmware on the 5100/6200, go to the Diagnostics Menu by powering off the cable box and pressing OK/Select promptly afterward. Item d08 in the list is Code Status, a right arrow brings that screen up. My firmware shows 7.10, thus DVI is activated.

If he shows 5.04 or anything starting with less than 7, then he needs a box swap as TWC currently does things. Have him follow what Mikekask or I did - for me it worked better to go to the neighborhood TWC office and request active firewire output on my HD box. Don't take your box in.

CFC - it only matters that you pay for HD service, so you can check either 5100 or 6200. But beware - an active DVI port still won't function unless it gets a 'handshake' from a TV which is HDCP compliant. Search DVI-HDCP on the forum if this is a surprise.

Good luck!
post #80 of 9937
Quote:


Originally posted by PIFFLE

CFC - it only matters that you pay for HD service, so you can check either 5100 or 6200. But beware - an active DVI port still won't function unless it gets a 'handshake' from a TV which is HDCP compliant. Search DVI-HDCP on the forum if this is a surprise.

Good luck!

Thanks.
No surprise at all. I have a DVI-HDCP compliant set. I'll give them a call this week to get set up.

CFC
post #81 of 9937
Quote:


Originally posted by TerryB
James,
I double checked with my contact again today. Since it's a no-no to post from the office, I had to wait until I got home to reply. It's the SA8000HD as far as I can tell, there were obviously significant problems with Moto or we would have had the 6208 a long time ago. Months ago I was within hours of getting a Moto to beta test and the program was scratched. I'm still waiting for my node to get the software push so I can get one. There will be SA units coming to Houston TWC customers soon unless some huge "aw sh***" pops up.

TerryB



Any idea if TWC Houston is deploying the SARA or Passport software on the SA8000HD? Enquiring minds want to know.....

Thanks Terry
post #82 of 9937
James,
The SARA software will be used here. Passport (by Pioneer) is used in places which have the Pioneer Guide. I'm out of town next week and probably won't get it this week so maybe 1st week of August.

Oh well,

TerryB
post #83 of 9937
Well today's response was promising (see below):


"The 290 at the Beltway area should be active this week. If you live there and the hardware is available you should be able to get the DVR early next week" per Derrick

Well if this is true (it seems to be consistent with what TerryB is saying), this is definitely good news. I live in Humble, but hopefully my area will be active by early August. The only concerning item is that he said IF the hardware is available. I would hope that if they are about to turn on an area, the hardware would be here waiting for the mass adoption of this new service.... He also confirmed that if you have the Digital Value Package the only charge will be an additional $5 month for the box (I think he said it would be 7-10 if you don't have this)

All good news (if it is true)... we should all see very soon...
post #84 of 9937
Hey,
Have you guys noticed that there is now a channel 300? Listed as "PPVHD"
I guess it will be that "OrderIn" station we've been seeing some trailers for on inHD channels.
Right now it says "Off-Air", anyone know when it will be up and running?

CFC
post #85 of 9937
I just moved to Houston and called to get my cable setup yesterday. To make a long story short the girl on the phone told me the PVR should be available in a couple of weeks.
post #86 of 9937
CFC,
I see that there will be a Tyson fight HDPPV the 30th. 44.95+ not for me thanks.

TerryB
post #87 of 9937
Any new DVR info out for TWC houston?
post #88 of 9937
I talked to TWC today asking about the DVR. I talked to three different people each saying that it will be 1-2 months (same BS I've been hearing since last fall)

I did ask what DVR they would be using and I got a consistant answer of "We don't know the model number yet, but it's by Scientific Atlanta."

And when I ask what the record time would be they say ~30hrs.

This in combination with the Houston TWC website saying it's going to be a dual tuner "you can record two shows at the same time" tends to confirm James statement of the unit being the SA8000HD

That said I could not get them to tell me weather or not they will use SARA or Passport software on the boxes.

I think TWC in Houston is the biggest mis-managed segment of TWC. The are consistantly 1.5-2 yrs behind the rest of the US while it's 4th most populous city in the US. I couldn't even get a cable modem in Sugar Land until Fall '01 when the 5th ward had DOCSIS cable modem's in '99
post #89 of 9937
Thread Starter 
Quote:


Originally posted by c1courtney
I think TWC in Houston is the biggest mis-managed segment of TWC. The are consistantly 1.5-2 yrs behind the rest of the US while it's 4th most populous city in the US. I couldn't even get a cable modem in Sugar Land until Fall '01 when the 5th ward had DOCSIS cable modem's in '99

Gotta agree with you. BTW, you got cable modem in Fall 2001. It was not available for me in Katy (Cinco Ranch) till Spring 2002
post #90 of 9937
Per TWC Deborah -- mid-August and it will be a Scientific American...
~~~~~
Got RR in Fall 1999 - I think I was the only person in the entire neighborhood on it. MUCH faster than even today! (And before I unknowingly speed capped it by pressing the reset button...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Houston, TX - Comcast / DBS