Originally Posted by jjeff
Now if Comcastardly could just get a response to his couple posts about TVGOS availability..... maybe no one posting in this thread is really using TVGOS
BTW I did
try searching for TVGOS in this thread and besides Comcastardly's two questions I only found a similar unanswered post from boilermaker23 from 2/'09
Here is what I have been able to find out about TVGOS and Comcast through almost two weeks of trial and error and monitoring my 753 service menu screens and performing too many G* tests to count.
When I started, I could place blame in 5 potential places.
1. Rovicorp - the TV Guide On Screen People
2. KHOU/CBS - the local affiliate responsible for transmitting TVGOS
3. Houston Comcast's retransmission of KHOU signal
4. Houston Comcast's Cablecard blocking TVGOS
5. Sony - Their latest firmware is incompatable with Comcast digital signal
Being that most of the rest of the country is not having a problem with TVGOS reception by their Sony DHG on Comcast systems, I eliminated choices 1 and 5(w/ v.21 firmware). Rovicorp told me that their contract in my area was with KHOU, the local CBS affiliate and as far as they know, they are transmitting TVGOS according to contract.
>I spoke with Jeff Laird, the TVGOS guru at KHOU, and he said that they are transmitting the TVGOS as required by their contract on OTA channel 11.1.
>I spoke with a saavy tech woman at Comcast(I went through 4 others before being transferred to someone who knew about TVGOS and VBI data) who said they are simply transmitting the signal they get from KHOU as they received it and if I am not getting TVGOS it isn't their fault. She swore they are not stripping the signal before retransmitting it.
Next, here is the process I followed to determine our reality with regard to Houston Comcast TVGOS data.
- Removed the cablecard and did a "reset to manufacturer specs" on my Sony DVR.
- Hooked up cable, did a TVGOS setup and scanned for channels.
- Over the next two days, periodically checked for incoming TVGOS data. There was none and no channel was found with any data on it.
- Updated Sony DHG firmware to v.21, which is specifically tweaked for digital channel receipt of TVGOS data.
- Over two more days, no data received and no clock set channel found. Basically, there was no available TVGOS data(or for some reason, the Sony DVR couldn't find it) on Comcast
- Ran a 50 ft RG6 lead from my attic OTA antenna to the Sony and setup the Sony's TVGOS for Cable + Antenna.
- Within 40 minutes, the Sony's time was set and the TVGOS OTA channel was found by the unit.
- After a few days of not seeing a grid, I re-inserted the Cablecard. The unit continued to utilize OTA CBS 11.1 for its TVGOS data and the Cablecard did not prevent it from doing so.
- It has now been almost 5 days since then and I still don't have a grid or program listings. The Sony is receiving VBI data, but that data is mostly ADs for the Guide pages and software updates and patches.
- I've been told that I need to wait till my 753 menu shows a NumSearch of 2 before I start to give up on getting guide info(mine is at 1)... so I wait.
- Another Houstonian with the same situation has been able to get a guide but he had to use a Artec D to A signal converter to jump start his program guide. I am not ready to spend another $60 to get what I have already paid for.... argh.
So, what conclusions can I draw from my two weeks of work?
1. KHOU is no longer broadcasting any "legacy" TVGOS signal.
2. KHOU IS broadcasting a digital TVGOS signal via OTA.
3. The Comcast Cablecard is not blocking TVGOS.
4. My Comcast headend is apparently stripping TVGOS from the original KHOU signal.
That's where it stands right now. I will report back with updates as they occur.
If anyone has any more information or help, it would be greatly appreciated.