or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Houston, TX - Comcast / DBS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Houston, TX - Comcast / DBS - Page 319

post #9541 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey David View Post

Having been a customer of Comcast for many years I succumbed to their offer of triple play in order to save money. I could write pages regarding the run-around I received for the simple exercise of getting me signed up with telephone service, which of course has not happened after three weeks and two service orders. They keep losing my E911 documentation.

In any event, I will be getting a gateway modem on Wednesday. I don't know which model yet, but as they only have two, made by the same company, I guess you can consider my following questions generic. That is, until I have a specific modem to discuss.

Currently I have a Docsis 3.0 ordinary modem with Blast connected to an SMC (Comcast equipment) router.

Is the range of the wireless service incorporated within the gateway as good as an ordinary stand alone router? They say 100 to 150 feet, is that accurate?

Also things I was told:

(1) The modem charge of $7/mo disappears with the installation of a gateway--there is no modem charge for a gateway;
(2) a service technician can "drop off" the gateway and pick up the old modem(s) (I have two now, another story) and by calling it a "swap equipment" call there will be no charge for the service.

Can I believe this? Will the charge go away? Do they actually waive the service call charge? Oh, I am so gullible.....

Thoughts?

I can only tell you my expreience. I already had Triple Play with Blast!. My hardware was a cable modem from Comcast. I did my own network.

Cable modem <--> Linksys BEFSR81 router (8 ports) <--> TrendNet Dual-Band Wireless router with 4 ports. I had to do this because I had a lot of ethernet connections to avoid using wireless. I mainly used the wireless for laptops, smartphones, Nook, and a PS3.

But my download speed was only 6mps, instead of 25.

So, I took my modem to the Bellaire office and traded it for an SMCD3GNV.

http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comca...ide_030811.pdf

I got rid of the router and the wireless router and bought a 5-port gigabit switch. Now, my wired and wireless download speeds are ~25.

The range on the wireless router is acceptable for my home. The gateway is included in the cost of Triple Play.

HTH
post #9542 of 9937
As previously noted...and you know this already:

Keep your fingers crossed!

LOL
post #9543 of 9937
Well, I've called Comcast again. They said they would credit my account for service call on Wednesday to install the gateway as the problem with my E911 was definitely their fault.

They also said that there would be a $7 monthly charge for the modem, in addition to the triple play price but no charge for the gateway portion of the modem--they said that ALL modems incur the $7 monthly charge whether or not it is a gateway.

I am still interested in hearing about wireless distance issues with the gateway modem.

BTW, I could care less about the telephone service. We dropped our land line years ago and moved to 100% cellular service (Cricket). I am probably going to hook up the Comcast telephone to my fax machine, but otherwise continue to use the cell phone(s). I just agreed to get it because the triple play bundle was significantly less expensive than the current service bill.
post #9544 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey David View Post

Well, I've called Comcast again. They said they would credit my account for service call on Wednesday to install the gateway as the problem with my E911 was definitely their fault.

They also said that there would be a $7 monthly charge for the modem, in addition to the triple play price but no charge for the gateway portion of the modem--they said that ALL modems incur the $7 monthly charge whether or not it is a gateway.

I am still interested in hearing about wireless distance issues with the gateway modem.

BTW, I could care less about the telephone service. We dropped our land line years ago and moved to 100% cellular service (Cricket). I am probably going to hook up the Comcast telephone to my fax machine, but otherwise continue to use the cell phone(s). I just agreed to get it because the triple play bundle was significantly less expensive than the current service bill.

I found this on my latest bill in the Voice section:

EMTA Lease Fee 01/21 - 02/20 7.00

My total charge for voice last month was $9.89. And Voice has an additional $2.67 for State and Local taxes.

I would imagine Double Play is less expensive than Triple Play.

Is your Triple Play a promotional rate?
post #9545 of 9937
Yes, my triple play is a promotional rate--I've locked in the rate for two years without a contract so I can still change my services or cancel at any time.

They sent me a letter in December with one rate, and then another on January 31 with another lower rate. It was an offer I couldn't refuse as I will be saving over $400 in the course of the two years and getting an upgrade to Blast and the telephone. The only bummer is that they took away two movie channels (TMC) and substituted a complete sports package.

I should point out that one Comcast rep (if you can believe anything they say) told me that if my rates ever went up, I should call billing, then ask for customer care and that they would have the ability to lock in my rate for longer and that they "do this all the time."

Comcast allegedly does this because they are bleeding subscribers.

I hope this information helps those of you who are as unhappy with the recent rate changes as I was.
post #9546 of 9937
JB4647 posted a pdf that Comcast had sent them recently regarding the Xfinity network upgrade that's allegedly in the pipeline for central Houston. I've tried contacting Comcast numerous times on when this will exactly take place but they're as clueless as my girlfriend on the matter. Does anyone know when this is going to go live, and if so, is it the projected date of 2/21 as stated by the provided image in previous post?

Apparently I won't get channels like Bravo HD or Comedy Central HD until the digital upgrade to the network is complete, and I've been waiting quite patiently since September to have access to these.
post #9547 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey David View Post

Well, I've called Comcast again. They said they would credit my account for service call on Wednesday to install the gateway as the problem with my E911 was definitely their fault.

They also said that there would be a $7 monthly charge for the modem, in addition to the triple play price but no charge for the gateway portion of the modem--they said that ALL modems incur the $7 monthly charge whether or not it is a gateway.

I am still interested in hearing about wireless distance issues with the gateway modem.

BTW, I could care less about the telephone service. We dropped our land line years ago and moved to 100% cellular service (Cricket). I am probably going to hook up the Comcast telephone to my fax machine, but otherwise continue to use the cell phone(s). I just agreed to get it because the triple play bundle was significantly less expensive than the current service bill.

Good luck with that - VOIP doesn't carry analog signals very well, and this includes modems.
post #9548 of 9937
The following posts are from Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog:

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-...ble-boxes.html

In a future guide, the DVR may record a show at a different time if there is a conflict. Note: It is not clear what guide this will be in.

Quote:


Thanks for the reply about how it records new shows. Just a suggestion - if it misses a specific episode due to a conflict or whatever, why not just save the title and/or episode number of that show and when it sees that same title/episode number again, record it?

Ian replied to comment from Ted Hodgins | February 11, 2012 5:54 PM

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-...#comment-42510

Quote:


Hello Ian and thanks for your question.

There are a couple of things in the works to support your suggested example and improve the customer experience.

We are working on improving the guide listings data and the DVR software to support automatic re-routing of DVR recordings in alternate non-conflicting time slots. This would alleviate some recording conflicts and provide a much better outcome.

Ted Hodgins replied to comment from Ian | February 15, 2012 4:37 PM

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-...#comment-42573
post #9549 of 9937
Comcast is rebranding Xcalibur to X1 and will start deploying the Xfinity Spectrum DVR to several key markets this year. For more information, click the following link and read the 2 posts:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post21651291
post #9550 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulienLN View Post

JB4647 posted a pdf that Comcast had sent them recently regarding the Xfinity network upgrade that's allegedly in the pipeline for central Houston. I've tried contacting Comcast numerous times on when this will exactly take place but they're as clueless as my girlfriend on the matter. Does anyone know when this is going to go live, and if so, is it the projected date of 2/21 as stated by the provided image in previous post?

Apparently I won't get channels like Bravo HD or Comedy Central HD until the digital upgrade to the network is complete, and I've been waiting quite patiently since September to have access to these.

The Xfinity network upgrade is being done on a neighborhood by neighborhood basis. It started early last year and was scheduled to take a year to be completed. The schedule has slipped and it is still going on. My area Sharpstown (77074) is scheduled for this week. The date your neighborhood will be updated may not be 2/21, it depends on where your neighborhood is. Comcast has been sending out letters and postcards announcing it starting about a month and a half before it is scheduled for a neighborhood. I think the network upgrade is about to be finished pretty soon. This first phase is to remove the analog basic expanded service. The next phase will remove the analog basic service.
post #9551 of 9937
Thanks. I received some mail like 3 weeks ago concerning about the digital upgrade but haven't had a concreteish timeframe by them as to when it's actually gonna happen.
post #9552 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulienLN View Post

Thanks. I received some mail like 3 weeks ago concerning about the digital upgrade but haven't had a concreteish timeframe by them as to when it's actually gonna happen.

The ketters and postcards should have a date for when you should order digital equipment for all your TVs. I think this is the scheduled date for when the extended basic service analog channels will be cutoff. After this, the new channels will be added within about a week. The dates may vary based on how things go for Comcast. This is a guess based on previous posts in this thread.
post #9553 of 9937
I called CC last week and was told the new HD channels would become available in my area (Briargrove - 77057) on February 21.
post #9554 of 9937
The date that was prescribed on the postcards marked February 2nd as the cutoff for obtaining a digital cable box. I'm hoping that 77046 shares February 21st as upgrade day.
post #9555 of 9937
I am in the Sharpstown area (77074) and I got the new channels early this morning Tuesday 2/21/12. The guide information is currently unavailable for the new channels. That information should fill in over the next couple of days.
post #9556 of 9937
Yeah, It also went live for Galleria, and Memorial last night, as i woke up and could not find 612, or any of the local QAM channels, do anyone know where they moved too?
post #9557 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB View Post

I am in the Sharpstown area (77074) and I got the new channels early this morning Tuesday 2/21/12. The guide information is currently unavailable for the new channels. That information should fill in over the next couple of days.

Yup, same here in 77005 off of Weslayan, just south of hwy 59. Three yrs after I got my HDTV most of the channels I watch are now in HD.
post #9558 of 9937
Sorry to get off topic. I have always wnndered and hope someone can provide an answer - what geographical area of the country can receive the most OTA broadcasts using a outdoor antenna. /the antenna can be a regular one or one designed to long range, fringe reception.
post #9559 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post

Yeah, It also went live for Galleria, and Memorial last night, as i woke up and could not find 612, or any of the local QAM channels, do anyone know where they moved too?

I got the new channels here in Bellaire. I rescanned all my channels on my 32" Visio and the QAM channels were still in the same place (with the 612-1 like before).
post #9560 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by lman12 View Post

Sorry to get off topic. I have always wnndered and hope someone can provide an answer - what geographical area of the country can receive the most OTA broadcasts using a outdoor antenna. /the antenna can be a regular one or one designed to long range, fringe reception.

Try this AVS Forum: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...52612&page=201

Also: antenna.org
post #9561 of 9937
Digital upgrade is live and complete in 77046. Finally get to receive Comedy Central HD and Bravo HD for the lady.
post #9562 of 9937
Same here!! Finally!!

The PQ almost looked better on ABC tonight... not sure if anyone else noticed improved PQ? Maybe it is in my head but I thought when analog went away it would free up a lot of space and allow less compression.
post #9563 of 9937
Same here! 77063

Btw we now have other free channels

G4tv!
Hallmark
Free 3d content on two channels
History 2!!! Ch 729
post #9564 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinh View Post

Same here! 77063

Btw we now have other free channels

G4tv!
Hallmark
Free 3d content on two channels
History 2!!! Ch 729

Here is the list of the new channels I'm getting in Bellaire:

133 The Mtn. - NEW!
134 SportsNet Bay Area - NEW!
135 SNY - NEW!
136 SportsNet New England - NEW!
200 TV Guide Scroll - NEW!
257 Family Net- NEW!
261 MTV Hits- NEW!
262 MTV Jams- NEW!
263 Pure Country- NEW!
264 The Word- NEW!
265 VH1 Soul- NEW!
268 Jewish Life TV- NEW!
271 World Fishing Network - NEW!
272 Crimes and Investigation - NEW!
273 Military History Channel - NEW!
274 Youtoo- NEW!
275 Nick 2- NEW!
276 JCTV - NEW!
406 Encore Family- NEW!
407 Encore Drama - NEW!
415 Starz Comedy - NEW!
461 HBO2 HD - NEW!
464 HBO Signature HD - NEW!
465 HBO Latino HD - NEW!
624 Hallmark HD - NEW!
626 CNN Headline News HD - NEW!
628 QVC HD - NEW!
630 MTV HD - NEW!
639 TCM HD - NEW!
645 CNBC HD - NEW!
646 BET HD - NEW!
650 GalavisiĆ³n HD- NEW!
654 WGN America HD - NEW!
659 Comedy Central HD - NEW!
661 VH1 HD - NEW!
664 HSN HD - NEW!
665 Bravo HD - NEW!
667 truTV HD - NEW!
668 MSNBC HD - NEW!
687 Nat Geo Wild HD- NEW!
700 MGM HD - NEW!
706 CBS Sports Network HD - NEW!
707 Big Ten Network HD- NEW!
708 Outdoor Channel HD- NEW!
712 G4 HD - NEW!
713 ID HD - NEW!
716 ESPNews HD- NEW!
717 WE HD - NEW!
718 Oxygen HD- NEW!
721 FUSE HD - NEW!
722 CMT HD - NEW!
725 ESPNU HD - NEW!
729 H2 HD - NEW!
730 BBC America HD- NEW!
741 Disney XD HD - NEW!
772 GMC HD - NEW!
790 ESPN 3D HD - NEW!
791 XFINITY 3D - NEW!
799 IFC HD - NEW!
902 iN Demand PPV HD - NEW!
post #9565 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinh View Post

Same here! 77063

Btw we now have other free channels

G4tv!
Hallmark
Free 3d content on two channels
History 2!!! Ch 729

They're not free - they've been added at no (explicit) additional charge.
post #9566 of 9937
Thanks for listing the new channels. That was a lot of work.

The following channel is also new:

740 Sprout HD - NEW!

NOTE: The Xfinity TV channel line-up as of 9/26/11 (received in the mail about a month before the upgrade) lists channels that are missing from the online guide:

437 MoreMax HD - NEW!
463 HBO Zone HD - NEW!
466 HBO Family HD - NEW!

Also, the following existing channel was not listed:

415 Starz Comedy

Several new channels were not marked as NEW!:

406 Encore Family
716 ESPNews HD
902 INDEMAND PPV HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWy View Post

Here is the list of the new channels I'm getting in Bellaire:

133 The Mtn. - NEW!
134 SportsNet Bay Area - NEW!
135 SNY - NEW!
136 SportsNet New England - NEW!
200 TV Guide Scroll - NEW!
257 Family Net- NEW!
261 MTV Hits- NEW!
262 MTV Jams- NEW!
263 Pure Country- NEW!
264 The Word- NEW!
265 VH1 Soul- NEW!
268 Jewish Life TV- NEW!
271 World Fishing Network - NEW!
272 Crimes and Investigation - NEW!
273 Military History Channel - NEW!
274 Youtoo- NEW!
275 Nick 2- NEW!
276 JCTV - NEW!
406 Encore Family- NEW!
407 Encore Drama - NEW!
415 Starz Comedy - NEW!
461 HBO2 HD - NEW!
464 HBO Signature HD - NEW!
465 HBO Latino HD - NEW!
624 Hallmark HD - NEW!
626 CNN Headline News HD - NEW!
628 QVC HD - NEW!
630 MTV HD - NEW!
639 TCM HD - NEW!
645 CNBC HD - NEW!
646 BET HD - NEW!
650 GalavisiĆ³n HD- NEW!
654 WGN America HD - NEW!
659 Comedy Central HD - NEW!
661 VH1 HD - NEW!
664 HSN HD - NEW!
665 Bravo HD - NEW!
667 truTV HD - NEW!
668 MSNBC HD - NEW!
687 Nat Geo Wild HD- NEW!
700 MGM HD - NEW!
706 CBS Sports Network HD - NEW!
707 Big Ten Network HD- NEW!
708 Outdoor Channel HD- NEW!
712 G4 HD - NEW!
713 ID HD - NEW!
716 ESPNews HD- NEW!
717 WE HD - NEW!
718 Oxygen HD- NEW!
721 FUSE HD - NEW!
722 CMT HD - NEW!
725 ESPNU HD - NEW!
729 H2 HD - NEW!
730 BBC America HD- NEW!
741 Disney XD HD - NEW!
772 GMC HD - NEW!
790 ESPN 3D HD - NEW!
791 XFINITY 3D - NEW!
799 IFC HD - NEW!
902 iN Demand PPV HD - NEW!
post #9567 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB View Post

Thanks for listing the new channels. The Xfinity TV channel line-up as of 9/26/11 (received in the mail about a month before the upgrade) lists channels that are missing from the online guide:

437 MoreMax HD - NEW!
463 HBO Zone HD - NEW!
466 HBO Family HD - NEW!

Those channels were deleted on December 8.
post #9568 of 9937
The following posts are from Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog:

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-...ble-boxes.html

The only new information in the following posts is about the incorrect message.

Quote:


Is mydvr and the ability to control my tv from my iPad available in Houston (77098). I have a Cisco rng200 dvr and When I login to the xfinity site to see a status it says it's available in my area but doesn't see a compatable dvr.

Stuart | February 21, 2012 9:09 PM

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-...#comment-42738

Quote:


Hello Mr. Smith and thank for your question. Currently, AnyRoom DVR and myDVR manager are not available in Texas where we use SA or Cisco branded DVRs.

We are aware of and apologize for the incorrect message that appears on our website for your zip code. The team is looking into that and we should have that corrected soon.

The next guide release for Scientific-Atlanta and Cisco branded cable boxes is expected to start being available over the summer. The team is also working to deliver that product sooner.

The software version will change slightly but the guide will look very similar to what you already have on those cable boxes.

Some of the features that are expected to be included in the summer release are listed below:

myDVR Manager: From the internet and the Xfinity TV app, customers can: set recordings, view/modify scheduled recordings, view completed recordings, modify series priority lists, etc.
http://xfinity.comcast.net/mydvr/how-to/

Caller ID to the TV See who's calling, right from your TV and PC! Comcast Universal Caller ID takes the guesswork out of incoming calls. http://www.comcast.net/callerid

Xfinity TV Application: The ability to use your iPad to change channels.
http://www.xfinity.com/help/internet/mobile-tv-app/

HSN Shop-by-Remote: A convenient, new way to make HSN purchases simply by using your remote. http://www.comcast.net/newguide/iTV_...emote_0110.pdf

Request for Info: Know more, save more! Introducing an easy way to request valuable coupons and info from advertisers simply by using your remote.
http://www.comcast.net/newguide/iTV%...nformation.pdf

Ready Remind and Ready Record: Now you can conveniently set program reminders or recordings directly from certain TV show and movie advertisements.
http://www.comcast.net/newguide/iTV%...d%20Record.pdf

Ted Hodgins replied to comment from Stuart | February 24, 2012 1:32 PM

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-...#comment-42848
post #9569 of 9937
But I think this one is a little different. It says "After 04/10/2012, digital equipment may be required to receive ALL channels, including Basic Cable channels 2-19 and 53-55 on all televisions."

The bottom of the letter says "Royalton 1K".
post #9570 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock Joe View Post

But I think this one is a little different. It says "After 04/10/2012, digital equipment may be required to receive ALL channels, including Basic Cable channels 2-19 and 53-55 on all televisions."

The bottom of the letter says "Royalton 1K".

I got the same letter today. This is the second phase of the Network Upgrade where the Basic Cable Analog Channels are being removed. The first phase was the removal of the Expanded Basic Service Analog Channels. After the second phase is complete, Houston Comcast will be an all-digital platform.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Houston, TX - Comcast / DBS