or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Houston, TX - Comcast / DBS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Houston, TX - Comcast / DBS - Page 331

post #9901 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by logman View Post

Cable has been out since monday morning off Antoine and 290. Anybody have any info on what's going on.

No. Ours went out around 1am this morning but it just kinda recycled and then came back up.
post #9902 of 9937
Does anyone have anyroom DVR in the katy area?
post #9903 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATHERFORD View Post

Does anyone have anyroom DVR in the katy area?
On the Cisco or X1 platform?

I have it on the X1...
post #9904 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVideoJW View Post

On the Cisco or X1 platform?

I have it on the X1...

In Katy?
post #9905 of 9937
Well I need to call back today to the X1 support(I was on the phone for nearly 3 hours)..

I kept getting told any room DVR is not in texas... Then I finally got to a 2nd or 3rd level supervisor that figured out that Texas does have Anyroom when I told them to look on their own forum to see their own employees and customers are talking about anyroom in Houston.

I got someone to finally say, "Yes of course you can have anyroom, it's just something we don't normally allow right now, but we can get it working for you."

Then my phone service at work died:rolleyes:
post #9906 of 9937
Well on the phone with them another 2 hours this morning. They claimed it is now turned "on" in my account and I should have it. I won't know until later today when I get home.

I live in far west, just north of old down town Katy... So If i do for sure have it, anyone in the Houston area should be able to get it.
post #9907 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATHERFORD View Post

Well on the phone with them another 2 hours this morning. They claimed it is now turned "on" in my account and I should have it. I won't know until later today when I get home.

I live in far west, just north of old down town Katy... So If i do for sure have it, anyone in the Houston area should be able to get it.
Sorry, there is so much mis-information out there.

Feel free to subscribe to the X1 thread here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1455102/official-xfinity-x1-stb-thread/480
post #9908 of 9937
I will check it out...


To update. i got home yesterday and no anyroom. I called through my home phone(which I never use... I don't even know the number) and got directly routed to X1 support. Which I thought was awesome compared to going through the regular Comcast folks.

The guy did some checking, resent some signals, had me reboot all boxes etc. No dice. Confirmed I should have it. He set me up a time next week for an X1 engineer to come to my house to "make it work".
post #9909 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATHERFORD View Post

I will check it out...


To update. i got home yesterday and no anyroom. I called through my home phone(which I never use... I don't even know the number) and got directly routed to X1 support. Which I thought was awesome compared to going through the regular Comcast folks.

The guy did some checking, resent some signals, had me reboot all boxes etc. No dice. Confirmed I should have it. He set me up a time next week for an X1 engineer to come to my house to "make it work".
Sounds similar to the issue RobertWy and I had.

Which was a billing/coding issue.

I called X1 support and had them open a ticket with tier 2.

Wait, and they will call back within a couple business days.

We both got it fixed this way...

X1 Support Line
(877) 896-8678
Goes straight to a person 24 hours a day
Edited by CaptainVideoJW - 9/14/13 at 3:20pm
post #9910 of 9937
anyone else lose KPRC HD on their TiVo today? Tired of random channels vanishing which always takes a three way call with TiVo and Comcast to fix. The better half prefers TiVo or given Comcast's clear distaste for them on their system, I would switch this to another Rng200. Of course she found out when going to watch the Voice.. Blank recording. The SD channel is fine, but no HD to be found. If the X1 did not sound like such a beta test, I would use this as an excuse to move everything to that platform.
post #9911 of 9937
No problem here with KPRC. TiVo premiere 4XL
post #9912 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVideoJW View Post

Sounds similar to the issue RobertWy and I had.

Which was a billing/coding issue.

I called X1 support and had them open a ticket with tier 2.

Wait, and they will call back within a couple business days.

We both got it fixed this way...

X1 Support Line
(877) 896-8678
Goes straight to a person 24 hours a day

A teir 2 person finally called me. Within 15 minutes I had anyroom dvr.
post #9913 of 9937

Just for the heck of it I decided to connect my cable directly to my HDTV to see what was available in Clear QAM. My TV is a Vizio 42" late model refurb.

 

I am in Houston TX 77027 and I am getting (as far as I can tell) the entire Digital Starter lineup in Clear QAM. This includes all the channels 2-99 that used to be analog, and the extra stations you get with Digital Starter.

 

I am also getting stations that are NOT included in Digital Starter (and I only subscribe to that level), such as TV Land.

 

I don't know if it makes any difference but I am in an apartment complex that provides free expanded cable. I pay Comcast $2.70 per month for "Bulk Digital Starter", minus $2.50 for customer owned equipment (I use a TiVo), and $61.95 for the Blast Cable Modem.

 

Is anyone else getting expanded cable on clear QAM? Or is it unique to this apartment complex somehow?

 

Update: I am getting channels like Logo TV, Texas Cable News, that are definitely part of Digital Preferred. One station had an uncensored movie on it which may have been a premium channel. Another channel 23-1 is airing "Cloud Atlas" in spanish. This has to be HBO Latino East.


Edited by Mike Richardson - 11/3/13 at 11:14pm
post #9914 of 9937
I live in 77401 in my house. My 32" Vizio is blocked from all QAM. I have to use a DTA to get basic cable. I can get OTA with an antenna.
post #9915 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richardson View Post

Just for the heck of it I decided to connect my cable directly to my HDTV to see what was available in Clear QAM. My TV is a Vizio 42" late model refurb.

I am in Houston TX 77027 and I am getting (as far as I can tell) the entire Digital Starter lineup in Clear QAM. This includes all the channels 2-99 that used to be analog, and the extra stations you get with Digital Starter.

I am also getting stations that are NOT included in Digital Starter (and I only subscribe to that level), such as TV Land.

I don't know if it makes any difference but I am in an apartment complex that provides free expanded cable. I pay Comcast $2.70 per month for "Bulk Digital Starter", minus $2.50 for customer owned equipment (I use a TiVo), and $61.95 for the Blast Cable Modem.

Is anyone else getting expanded cable on clear QAM? Or is it unique to this apartment complex somehow?

Update: I am getting channels like Logo TV, Texas Cable News, that are definitely part of Digital Preferred. One station had an uncensored movie on it which may have been a premium channel. Another channel 23-1 is airing "Cloud Atlas" in spanish. This has to be HBO Latino East.

I have to believe this has something to do with the specific setup your apartment complex has. It may be that in order to distribute the cable to the units, there is a master descramble done before the distribution matrix. That, or Comcast just fouled up (entirely possible) and you are the very fortunate beneficiary.
post #9916 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWy View Post

I live in 77401 in my house. My 32" Vizio is blocked from all QAM. I have to use a DTA to get basic cable. I can get OTA with an antenna.

My Vizio XVT receives many local SD and HD QAM channels in 77401. Comcast tends to move them around a couple of times of year. I re-scan for channels when they 'vanish'. Not basic cable but locals only. Rest of the house is on Premier digital.
post #9917 of 9937
Well just got x1 installed and I am loving it. Install took about an hour and a half with just a few problems.

The signal stats for the most part are good except for my upstream power level.

Downstream:
SNR: 39-40 dB
Power: 10.9-11 dBmV

Upstream
Power: 54 dBmV

I am noticing on my main box that there is quite a bit of lag between remote command and on-screen action. I am guessing the high upstream is the culprit for these issues as I wreaked havoc on my cable modem in the past. They repaired some stuff on the tap and it went down but has since crept up in the past month.

Has anyone else had lag issues with the remote and box? What are your signal levels like?

You can access this info by doing the following sequence: holding exit for 7 seconds, down (arrow pad), down, 2, 2.

Go to the System menu (down twice) and then page 5 of 9 (pressing left or right).
post #9918 of 9937
I'm in the middle of switching from DirecTV to Comcast. I might be the only one who cares, but I do not get 5.1 audio on 613 (KTRK HD). I've check OTA and on DirecTV and they are both getting the 5.1 Dolby Digital audio. I would complain to Comcast, but their support seems pretty inept busy and I doubt it would ever get routed to the right place. Is anyone else seeing this as well?
Edited by CoolGui - 11/29/13 at 9:51pm
post #9919 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolGui View Post

I'm in the middle of switching from DirecTV to Comcast. I might be the only one who cares, but I do not get 5.1 audio on 613 (KTRK HD). I've check OTA and on DirecTV and they are both getting the 5.1 Dolby Digital audio. I would complain to Comcast, but their support seems pretty inept busy and I doubt it would ever get routed to the right place. Is anyone else seeing this as well?

I'm getting 5.1 on 613. Maybe reset your box.
post #9920 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by risk235 View Post

I'm getting 5.1 on 613. Maybe reset your box.

Already tried that a few times. :-) Would location matter? I'm in 77477 near Sugar Land.
post #9921 of 9937
Ahh crud, disregard everything I said. Somehow I was on an english SAP for that channel. Seems okay now. Sorry about that.

It is strange though, that SAP mode is set to "Content Default" and the DD5.1 is shown as "Music and Effects". Everytime I change and go back it reselects the "Content Default" one which is 2 channel.
post #9922 of 9937
Does comcast offer HD DTAs in houston?
post #9923 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferxli View Post

Does comcast offer HD DTAs in houston?

You mean tuning adapters? They are not currently required as far as I know but perhaps in the future?

Sorry I googled it and realize that you meant a digital to analog converter. Not sure about that. I thought most cable boxes have analog outputs so I'm not sure why they would offer one.
Edited by CoolGui - 12/8/13 at 10:24am
post #9924 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferxli View Post

Does comcast offer HD DTAs in houston?

No. We only have SD DTA's.
post #9925 of 9937

Wow, my situation has made a complete 180.

 

The landlords cancelled their bulk service contract, and I guess also cancelled Comcast's "right of entry". Comcast now refuses to sell me service [b]but the coax wires are live, they have service[/b]. I have been "borrowing" my neighbors WiFi since the 17th, except this is hard to do because half of them are broken now because they used Comcast.

 

The landlord is in some kind of feud with Comcast. The losers are all of the residents. I don't want AT&T, I "beta tested" U-Verse for 4 years at my old apartment. They charge the same amount for 24 mbps Internet as Comcast does for 50 mbps. 

 

OTA reception is difficult because of a 7 story county office building that sits right between my building and Missouri City (but I get all the worthless low power channels :/)

post #9926 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richardson View Post

Wow, my situation has made a complete 180.

The landlords cancelled their bulk service contract, and I guess also cancelled Comcast's "right of entry". Comcast now refuses to sell me service but the coax wires are live, they have service. I have been "borrowing" my neighbors WiFi since the 17th, except this is hard to do because half of them are broken now because they used Comcast.

The landlord is in some kind of feud with Comcast. The losers are all of the residents. I don't want AT&T, I "beta tested" U-Verse for 4 years at my old apartment. They charge the same amount for 24 mbps Internet as Comcast does for 50 mbps. 

OTA reception is difficult because of a 7 story county office building that sits right between my building and Missouri City (but I get all the worthless low power channels :/)

What part of town do you live in, Mike?
post #9927 of 9937
For what it's worth . . .

For years, yes - YEARS - I've had a problem with HDMI related dropouts with my setup.

NO dropouts when watching blu-rays on my Oppo (HDMI to RX-Z7 & HDMI to Panasonic TCP-65V10 display), and NO dropouts when watching a DVD from my Sony 400-disc changer (component to RX-Z7), but consistently having issues when watching SD or HD cable programs through my Comcast SA8300HDC STB (HDMI to RX-Z7). If I told you everything I've tried to cure this you wouldn't believe me. BUT, I hated the thought of leaving the one-cable connection world.

After spending MORE money changing all of my HDMI cables over to the Monoprice "Redmere" cables with no luck, I was just about to throw in the towel. Did a LOT more reading on AVS Forums and decided to double-check the video settings on my RX-Z7 one last time. Ah-hah! I switched the "HDMI-to-HDMI" video signal processing setting from "Processing" to "Through", allowing the display to perform the 1080P upconversion.

Voila! So far so good, and it's been nearly a week since I made the change. Still keeping my fingers crossed, but I believe it's truly fixed now! Whew!
post #9928 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd-TX View Post


What part of town do you live in, Mike?

 

 

77027, I'm at the Westcreek at River Oaks apartments, just right inside the loop between Westheimer and San Felipe.

 

9 days now with no Comcast and they refuse to sell me service. I am thinking about just ordering it at my mom's house and then taking the equipment away back to my apartment. Lines are still active. I literally just need a cable card and maybe a DTA - I use my own TiVo and cable modem.

 

I look at alternatives and they are terrible. DBS companies want 2 year contracts and they might demolish this building before then.

 

Edit: Does someone know how to disable this annoying crap where I asks me to post a Facebook every time I post here?

post #9929 of 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richardson View Post


77027, I'm at the Westcreek at River Oaks apartments, just right inside the loop between Westheimer and San Felipe.

9 days now with no Comcast and they refuse to sell me service. I am thinking about just ordering it at my mom's house and then taking the equipment away back to my apartment. Lines are still active. I literally just need a cable card and maybe a DTA - I use my own TiVo and cable modem.

I look at alternatives and they are terrible. DBS companies want 2 year contracts and they might demolish this building before then.

Edit: Does someone know how to disable this annoying crap where I asks me to post a Facebook every time I post here?

Hey Mike:

Dunno your situation with your landlord, but you might suggest that they check with Phonoscope Cable. Phonoscope services strictly apartments and commercial accounts all over the greater Houston area. I had their service years ago when we were living in an apartment in Stafford, and they had excellent TV and cable internet service at that time.

Just a thought . . .
post #9930 of 9937
Is anyone having dropout problems with USA, TNT & NATGEO HD? I have been since before Christmas. I can't stand calling Comcast and they always want to schedule a service call. Is there anything they can do without a service call. I've rebooted many times. SA8300HD DVR. THX
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Houston, TX - Comcast / DBS