or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Atlanta, GA - OTA
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Atlanta, GA - OTA - Page 98

post #2911 of 3205
They were in and out Wednesday night but that is the only time I've had problems with their signal.
Now local audio levels vs network (Fox) is another matter. Their engineer says there is no problem, but in the evening I will get a 15 db increase in volume level when ch5 cuts in for local programming, and that is borderline speaker damage.

But their siganl is good....
post #2912 of 3205
The Mexicanal Network has added a new station affiliates--WYGA-LD in Atlanta,
post #2913 of 3205
MeTV

Get ready Atlanta. MeTV has intentions of launching soon on WSB as a sub-channel. The network picked a great affiliate to showcase their classic programming in the Peach State.
post #2914 of 3205
Their press release:

http://metvnetwork.com/metv_national_release.pdf

Do you think they will replace RetroTV (2.2) or add another subchannel?
post #2915 of 3205
Replace. That's what Cox is doing in Pittsburgh.

- Trip
post #2916 of 3205
My RCA 1450 is not picking up 8.1 somehow. I got the rest of the free channel with my indoor atenna.

I am 11 miles south of Atlanta.
post #2917 of 3205
Those flat panel antennas are not particularly good, especially for VHF. Better indoor antennas are RadioShack budget rabbit ears and loop or Terk HDTVi/HDTVa. You need the rabbit ears (dipoles) for channels 8 and 11.
post #2918 of 3205
I just cant seem to get 11.1 Alive in! It is frustrating. All my other channels are over 85% signal strength. (I can see it on my SONY HDTV the strength. Pretty cool). 11.1 Alive is hovering around 75% and if it drop, then I get pixelation.

I cant get PBS 8.1, 8.2, 8.3 at all. I mean this station is sitting on top of Stone Mountain. Is BBC in HD there?

I live in Jonesboro, 11 miles south of the city.

Shall I get another receiver to try?
post #2919 of 3205
I notice that Channel 69 and the Univision is not in HD on my Dish in Atlanta. And its free over the air.

Conflict of interest ???

Anyway, I am cancelling my Dish this month. After some 27 years starting with Wometco, then Comcast, there after that with Directv and now Dish, I dont want to pay anymore.
post #2920 of 3205
Quote:
Originally Posted by chong67 View Post

My RCA 1450 is not picking up 8.1 somehow. I got the rest of the free channel with my indoor atenna.

I am 11 miles south of Atlanta.

I live in the city limits, and have trouble with those channels as well. I use a $10 set of rabbit ears, so at least I can adjust them to compensate for weather and such, but it's a challenge sometimes.

Like Tyler said, GPTV and WXIA are VHF and a lot of people have trouble with them. Without a dipole antenna, VHF is hard to receive. For PBS/GPB, you could try 28.1 out of Columbus. It should have the same programming as 8.1. I have no idea if you can receive it any better, but I think it's UHF.
post #2921 of 3205
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

I live in the city limits, and have trouble with those channels as well. I use a $10 set of rabbit ears, so at least I can adjust them to compensate for weather and such, but it's a challenge sometimes.

Like Tyler said, GPTV and WXIA are VHF and a lot of people have trouble with them. Without a dipole antenna, VHF is hard to receive. For PBS/GPB, you could try 28.1 out of Columbus. It should have the same programming as 8.1. I have no idea if you can receive it any better, but I think it's UHF.

Before digital, you can get WXIA even without an antenna. Now its just the opposite. Channel 8 sit on top of Stone Mtn, the highest place. Its the only 2 station I have problem with on my flat antenna. But lucky me, my Comcast line is still alive and OTA is free, so I am using it.
post #2922 of 3205
Quote:
Originally Posted by chong67 View Post

Before digital, you can get WXIA even without an antenna. Now its just the opposite. Channel 8 sit on top of Stone Mtn, the highest place. Its the only 2 station I have problem with on my flat antenna. But lucky me, my Comcast line is still alive and OTA is free, so I am using it.

Your 'flat' antenna may not be the best choice.
post #2923 of 3205
Again, you need rabbit ears for channels 8 and 11 (RF10).
post #2924 of 3205
Not sure when the switch happened but the former WNEG TV ch 32 Toccoa, is now WUGA TV. When u of Ga. bought the station it became probably the worse programmed tv station ever... they went through their operational funds in a short period and was left with their pants down...
It is well worth watching now, with PBS programming....
post #2925 of 3205
WSB 2.2 now has METV

MeTV launched at 4:00 a.m. on June 1, 2011, which officially ended RTV's contract with WSB.



http://www.metvnetwork.com/about.php
post #2926 of 3205
Looks like RTV will only be gone briefly in Atlanta. Mako's WYGA 16.4 will be the new home of that retro television network soon, according to Rabbit Ears.
post #2927 of 3205
I've updated my FAQ with the RetroTV / Me-TV change. Also I added some VHF-High-only antenna recommendations for pulling in WGTV. Just got a new house and gotta get another antenna ...

FAQ is linked below in my signature.
post #2928 of 3205
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdvegas View Post

Looks like RTV will only be gone briefly in Atlanta. Mako's WYGA 16.4 will be the new home of that retro television network soon, according to Rabbit Ears.

Anybody receiving RTV in Atlanta on the new network yet?
post #2929 of 3205
Still no RTV on WTGA 16.4 & it seems like I can no longer receive Mexicanal 16.1 as well as I used to.

Just noticed that 3 Angels Broadcasting Network has appeared on WIRE 40.4 today.

Sure wish we could get a new channel of even a slight amount of worth & not another:
*-Religious Channel (40.4)
*-Mexican/Spanish Channel (16.1)
*-Infomercials Channel
*-Horrible TV Shows from the 1950's that no one....even 80 year olds....have neither heard of or watched (2.2 & eventually 16.4)
*-Shows recorded on a cell phone video camera & topigraphical shows that were made in 2003 (Tuff TV's "weekly racing shows" air everyday in no order for some reason & feature "up to the minute" results from events held in 2003...what's the point?)
post #2930 of 3205
AAAGHHH!! D**n cruel fate!!!! Why?!?!?!

Gone is the ONLY channel I cared about: The Country Network on WTBS 26.1 and in its place is what???

You guessed it:
A MEXICAN RELIGIOUS CHANNEL!!!!!!!!

Why?!?!

I'm going to go hang myself with a guitar string now.
post #2931 of 3205
I am seeing several new channels on ION but no programming yet. ION is 14 so the new channels are 14.4, 14.5 and a few above that.

Does anyone know what their plans are?
post #2932 of 3205
14.4 just sends me back to 14.1

I'm seeing 14.5, 14.6, 14.7, 14.8 & 14.9 (RF Channels 51.x)

I'm guessing (based on trends)
14.5 Simulcast of WYGA 16.3 (blank)
14.6 Religious Spanish Children TV (infomercials)
14.7 Simulcast of TBA 32.29
14.8 DirectTV Remote Control Info Channel #103
14.9 Extreme Basket Weaving 24 (Gaelic)

In all seriousness, could this be where the new black only tv station ends up? I'd think any of the bigger stations would jump to launch a subchannel for this but money talks.
post #2933 of 3205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattswad View Post
14.4 just sends me back to 14.1

I'm seeing 14.5, 14.6, 14.7, 14.8 & 14.9 (RF Channels 51.x)

I'm guessing (based on trends)
14.5 Simulcast of WYGA 16.3 (blank)
14.6 Religious Spanish Children TV (infomercials)
14.7 Simulcast of TBA 32.29
14.8 DirectTV Remote Control Info Channel #103
14.9 Extreme Basket Weaving 24 (Gaelic)

In all seriousness, could this be where the new black only tv station ends up? I'd think any of the bigger stations would jump to launch a subchannel for this but money talks.
Now that's funny
post #2934 of 3205
RTV is now on WYGA 16.3

NOT 16.4 as had previously been mentioned.
post #2935 of 3205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattswad View Post

RTV is now on WYGA 16.3

NOT 16.4 as had previously been mentioned.

Thanks for posting. BTW, RTV looks good in North Cobb County.
post #2936 of 3205
Got sad news on the passing of WGCL's chief engineer, Steve Flanagan.

Many of you all, myself included, might have received guidance from Steve as we went through the digital transition over the last few years. I'll miss seeing him at local SMPTE meetings and just sitting near him to overhear tidbits on what was really going on in the world of OTA TV broadcast engineering. For one, he gave me particular insight into the troubles of the TV Guide On Screen (TVGOS) data service that I was relying on, a situation I ended up documenting in the FAQ here (link in my sig below, last item in FAQ).

Obit from http://www.atlanta-smpte.org/ is below. Also see that URL for a photo of Steve.

Stephen P. Flanagan, 61, of Alpharetta, Georgia died Sunday, June 5th 2011 after a long battle with cancer. Born in Milford, Massachusetts, March 27th, 1950 to James P. and Claire Power Flanagan, Stephen attended Northeastern University and received his Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering in 1973. He worked for the Washington Post Company for 24 years, and served as the Vice President of Engineering. After moving to Atlanta, he became the Director of Engineering at the local CBS affiliate under the Meredith Corporation. Stephen was a member of the Society of Broadcast Engineers and received a Silver Circle Award in 2000 from NATAS for 25 years of outstanding service in broadcast television.
post #2937 of 3205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattswad View Post

RTV is now on WYGA 16.3
NOT 16.4 as had previously been mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq2675 View Post

Thanks for posting. BTW, RTV looks good in
North Cobb County.

Is it still broadcasting on 16.3?
My father checked for it and could not see it even after a rescan.

KP
post #2938 of 3205
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethpruett View Post
Is it still broadcasting on 16.3?
My father checked for it and could not see it even after a rescan.

KP
Same here
post #2939 of 3205
Nope. After not even a week, RTV is gone from 16.3 as of late Saturday night. 16.2 (blank) and 16.4 (on again/off again blank) are also gone and revert you back to 16.1. Entering any other number (16.x) also reverts you back to 16.1 Mexicanal.
So frustrating!

Probably a wasp nest in their tower or somebody unplugged the 1978 Commadore K-Pro computer they use in their non-existant office to stream their satelite feeds to the tower.
post #2940 of 3205
I'm watching Starsky & Hutch on RTV on WYGA 16.2 tonight. Maybe it will be on 16.4 tomorrow night. Either way the signal stinks with multipy drop outs/pixeling here is Buford with my Antennas Direct 91XG Uni-Directional Antenna and a Radio Shack High Gain Amplifier. I certainly hope they paln on increasing there power?
Does anyone have a suggestion for improving this weak station?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Atlanta, GA - OTA