or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Harrisonburg / Charlottesville, VA - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Harrisonburg / Charlottesville, VA - HDTV - Page 120

post #3571 of 3703
Well, I decoded NBC29 last night before I went to bed, I think I checked some time around 10PM.

- Trip
post #3572 of 3703
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22902TV View Post

I have "no signal" on all of the channels I normally get in Charlottesville, including NBC29. This is since yesterday (Friday). How do I know if this is some broadcast problem or if it is my converter box?

No problem here with the c-ville stations.
post #3573 of 3703
Sunday night I pulled into my stop in Harrisonburg. I did a scan on my converter and found I was able to recieve WVIR from the main (I think) transmitter as well as the Massanutten site. I was also receiveing WHSV on 2 different channels. I assume one of them was also at Massanutten as signal strength was about the same. Last night (Monday) in Tom's Brook I found WHSV on yet another channel. IIRC, in all the channels were 42, 49 & 51. No reception of WVIR on either channel at Tom's Brook.

Interesting that there isn't a CBS affiliate serving the valley. Is WUSA considered the area's affiliate?
post #3574 of 3703
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC4JGC View Post

Sunday night I pulled into my stop in Harrisonburg. I did a scan on my converter and found I was able to recieve WVIR from the main (I think) transmitter as well as the Massanutten site. I was also receiveing WHSV on 2 different channels. I assume one of them was also at Massanutten as signal strength was about the same.

WVIR-32 is 29-1 from Charlottesville. W41DT-D is 29-1 from Elliot Knob. W30CT-D is 30-1 from Massanutten.

Quote:


Last night (Monday) in Tom's Brook I found WHSV on yet another channel. IIRC, in all the channels were 42, 49 & 51. No reception of WVIR on either channel at Tom's Brook.

That far north, all you'll see from Virginia are the Signal Knob stations, WVPY-21 (42-1), WHSV-42 (3-1), and WAZW-LD 46.

Quote:


Interesting that there isn't a CBS affiliate serving the valley. Is WUSA considered the area's affiliate?

WUSA used to be carried on translators up that way. I think most of the valley gets WUSA on cable, though some places do get WDBJ and maybe others that I'm not thinking of.

- Trip
post #3575 of 3703
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC4JGC View Post

Interesting that there isn't a CBS affiliate serving the valley. Is WUSA considered the area's affiliate?

WUSA-9 CBS was for years translated to UHF-18 on W18AA. That license is to become available some months from now . . . I would like to see a CBS affiliate on it, but the disposition depends on an interaction between the FCC, the outgoing licensee (Rockingham County), and potential licensees such as Gray Television.
post #3576 of 3703
Not sure anyone but me watches CW29 on 29-3, but it looks like something is up with the satellite feed this evening, as my signal is good and TSReader reports no errors, but it keeps breaking up and dropping. I have dispatched an e-mail to engineering.

- Trip
post #3577 of 3703
Anybody hear anything about what's happening to W18AA (http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tv...&facid=14131)? That's the Massanutten translator that provided WUSA-9 over the air for some years.
post #3578 of 3703
W18AA is apparently going to be either sold or donated to someone to use for local programming. That's what they told the FCC back in June, anyway.

- Trip
post #3579 of 3703
Thread Starter 
Getting zero signal strength this afternoon on WHSV 3.1 through 3.4 (RF 49). Did the usual antenna checks but all seems well. Anyone else?
post #3580 of 3703
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwillie6 View Post

Getting zero signal strength this afternoon on WHSV 3.1 through 3.4 (RF 49). Did the usual antenna checks but all seems well. Anyone else?

I'm getting about 30% (normally it's about 70%), so no picture here near Sperryville. Hope they fix it soon, that means 4 channels are out!
post #3581 of 3703
It's been out here in Waynesboro since around 9:30 AM
post #3582 of 3703
Thread Starter 
The OTA transmitter was down Saturday, Sunday and Monday . . . didn't see exactly when service was restored, but it was working as of Tuesday night. Wow, that's a long time to lose those viewers, with advertisers interested in getting the holiday crowd. Must have been a difficult technical failure.
post #3583 of 3703
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwillie6 View Post

The OTA transmitter was down Saturday, Sunday and Monday . . . didn't see exactly when service was restored, but it was working as of Tuesday night. Wow, that's a long time to lose those viewers, with advertisers interested in getting the holiday crowd. Must have been a difficult technical failure.

So WHSV is back on channel 3 but WVPY channel 42 has been out for several days. Does anyone know if they stopped transmitting on 42? I can get the same programming on 51 but only sometimes.
post #3584 of 3703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

W18AA is apparently going to be either sold or donated to someone to use for local programming. That's what they told the FCC back in June, anyway.

- Trip

Filed just a few weeks back...

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_...um=1&exhcnum=1

Sounds like the guy is going to "operate" it. But what will it show?
post #3585 of 3703
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post

Filed just a few weeks back...


Sounds like the guy is going to "operate" it. But what will it show?

Looks like the same guy that licenses the WAZT stations in the valley (Christian programming). Looks like our hopes of an OTA CBS feed is pretty much gone. I was hoping Grey would step up here.
post #3586 of 3703
Thread Starter 
There's a little more on W18AA on the FCC site: https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_...um=1&exhcnum=1

Apparently the licensee will run these operations as all-analog until that's turned off in 2015. Presumably the frequencies would then become available again, but I'm not sure they're worth anything (Cost of digital conversion > value to a licensee?). Also, the agreement makes it clear that if there were a major equipment failure, all bets are off.
post #3587 of 3703
Hi everyone,

I am in the Harrisonburg area (near the Massanutten peak before Elkton on Spotswood). I have an outdoor antenna and receive several stations EXCEPT CBS!! Try as I may I just can't get it..

I checked tvfool.com and it appears I should receive 19.1 WCAV-DT.. it's the same direction and distance as WHTJ 41.1 PBS which I can always get with ease..

How can I get CBS where I am?
post #3588 of 3703
Are you getting WVAW-LD 16-1 or WAHU-CD 27-1?

- Trip
post #3589 of 3703
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSide View Post


How can I get CBS where I am?

You may need to raise/lower the antenna a few inches if the antenna is sitting in a dead spot for CBS.
post #3590 of 3703
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSide View Post

Hi everyone,

I am in the Harrisonburg area (near the Massanutten peak before Elkton on Spotswood). I have an outdoor antenna and receive several stations EXCEPT CBS!! Try as I may I just can't get it..

I checked tvfool.com and it appears I should receive 19.1 WCAV-DT.. it's the same direction and distance as WHTJ 41.1 PBS which I can always get with ease..

How can I get CBS where I am?

I am located near Crimora and have never received 19.1 and 27.1 (well maybe once or twice but not watchable). I wish we could but not sure why this feed does not carry over in the valley well. I can receive 16.1 and 41.1 and almost all of the Richmond stations but WCAV is always a no show. It was nice when they carried the CBS feed on 16.2 but that did not last long.

Heck some times I can get the Raleigh NC stations in great, but not 19.1 or 27.1. I have not looked to see what is interfering or other factors in a while. I was hoping that after analog 18 went off the air that WDBJ CBS out of Roanoke would come in better, but no luck there ether.

Jeremy
post #3591 of 3703
Thanks for the responses.

Trip in VA, I don't seem to be getting those.. my ABC is usually 3.1 or 8.1.. at times I get both!

16.1 and 27.1 are both due 190 degrees (magnetic) from where I am. I can get the NBC 29.1 and PBS 41.1 in that direction, but not those..

Digital Rules, I will try that.. my only option is holding the antenna higher as currently I don't have another pole..

Cmdr Tekno, well at least someone else shares the frustration... I am about to miss Patriots-Ravens because of this stupid problem.
post #3592 of 3703
If you don't receive WVAW-LD 16-1 or WAHU-CD 27-1, you don't have a chance of getting WCAV 19-1, which is weaker than those two signals in your direction and coming off the same tower.

I would suggest you use 16 as a basis to fine-tune your antenna aim and positioning, pull that signal in, then work on 19. If you're getting 41-1, that means that some amount of signal is making it over, but 16-1 and 27-1 are about 10 dB weaker, while 19-1 is probably about 13 dB weaker.

- Trip
post #3593 of 3703
I live 12 miles north of Harrisonburg and football season has killed me, since there is no CBS....Whos arm do we need to twist to get them to rebroadcast our neighboring CBS affiliates?
post #3594 of 3703
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantcycle View Post

Anybody hear anything about what's happening to W18AA (http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tv...&facid=14131)? That's the Massanutten translator that provided WUSA-9 over the air for some years.

Why does WUSA-9 no longer choose to serve the valley? Are any other DC stations still available OTA or are you limited to cable/sat in that area?
post #3595 of 3703
That transmitter was run by the city of Harrisonburg and after the digital changeover they decided to get out of the TV business. They equipment was just too old.
post #3596 of 3703
I thought 16.1 was the low power version and 19.1 was stronger? I've tried several different antennas from my house and can't pick up either. I've resorted to using the Internet whenever I need CBS. You can always find somebody streaming it.
post #3597 of 3703
While that is true, WCAV is also directional while WVAW/WAHU are omni-directional. As a result, WVAW/WAHU appear stronger in the valley than WCAV.

- Trip
post #3598 of 3703
Hey gang,

I am new to the c'ville area. I actually moved up here last january out to Lake Monticello. I got DirecTV after a few months of terrible Comcast service, and haven't had a single problem with reception (with equipment thats a different story.)

Now, my lease is up and I'm looking to move into Charlottesville city. I just happened to notice that there is no local DirecTV channels in Charlottesville. I guess Lake Monticello is close enough to score Richmond locals.

I'm renting a townhouse, and don't want to have to hassle my landlords too terribly about cable alternates. The experience with Comcast was so bad out here in Lake Monticello, not to mention the program guide looks like it was designed for an Atari 800 back in 1981. Any time many users were watching something, my signal would go out (Super Bowl, any local football or basketball game). Repair people would never come on time, and demanded I be there, but when I'd get home they'd have already come and gone and supposedly fixed everything. I could go on for hours about Comcast, but I'm sure its something you're all aware of anyway.

So What are my options for getting locals in Charlottesville city (far southeast corner near the Hogwaller) I've been lucky to not have to deal with an Antenna since the early 80s when we first got cable.
post #3599 of 3703
With the exception of WVPT, all of the signals in Charlottesville are very strong. I used my antenna as my sole means of watching television all four years I was there.

- Trip
post #3600 of 3703
"I've been lucky to not have to deal with an Antenna since the early 80s when we first got cable."

Lucky? Messing with the antenna is all the fun! Well (I am guessing) at least for half (or more) of us on this forum.

Cheers,

Jeremy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Harrisonburg / Charlottesville, VA - HDTV