or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › HTPC - Mac Chat › How-To: MacOS X Firewire HDTV recording
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How-To: MacOS X Firewire HDTV recording - Page 9

post #241 of 2181
This 00487C6704002DFFFF changed the channel to 45 on the 6200.
post #242 of 2181
Thread Starter 
Quote:


Originally posted by jsb_hburg
This 00487C6704002DFFFF changed the channel to 45 on the 6200.

Cool, one command 67 or two commands E7 following by 67?
post #243 of 2181
Quote:


Well that did something.
If I send 00487CE704003DFFFF followed by 00487C6704003DFFFF the box then changes from the clock and shows the current channel then "-00" then flashes "0" five times before returning to the original channel. No channel change but something is happening.

OK, more info:

The last 4 bytes of the command are the channel value, it can be a one-part channel, or a two-part channel (major/minor).

The first two bytes of the channel is the major channel number.

The second two bytes of the channel is the minor channel number.

If it's a two-part channel number the MSB of the first byte of the channel should be set, otherwise, it should be clear. For a 1-part channel (major only), the 2nd two bytes are "reserved"

Eg. for channel 5.1, seems like the 4 bytes should be 80050001.

So that should give you some more to play with.
post #244 of 2181
Changed the channel to INHD to watch the Red Sox...

Code:
=============== Sent AVC Command ===============
cType:   Control
subUnit: 0x48
opCode:  Unknown (0x7C)
FCP Command Frame:
00 48 7C 67 04 00 AE FF FF 

=============== Received AVC Response ===============
response: Accepted
subUnit: 0x48
opCode:  Unknown (0x7C)
FCP Response Frame:
09 48 7C 67 04 00 AE FF FF
AE = 174
post #245 of 2181
Quote:


Originally posted by rcliff
Cool, one command 67 or two commands E7 following by 67?

One gives me the channel. Sending it a second time gives me the Music Choice EPG. A third time clears the MC EPG.

00487C670400AEFFFF sent one time changes the channel to 174.

00487C670400B5FFFF sent one time changes the channel to 181. The local NBC channel and I forgot about Men in Black while watching the ball game.
post #246 of 2181
Quote:


Originally posted by JeremyJ
Absolutely, bring it on.

Jeremy

Jeremy,

I already posted the TS demuxer on page 11 of this thread (if you haven't found
it already). Let me know if it does the trick for you. Also, if there's any
additional features (PES output, more PID and PSI dumping, etc.) that you'd
like to see (aside from re-muxing which is a whole other program), I'd be glad
to add it in. I can also dump 5C descriptors for folks having trouble with
copy protection implementations.

BTW, after reading this thread, it's obvious that the Mac folks are having
way more fun with their 1394 enabled cable boxes than anyone else!

Ron
post #247 of 2181
I can change just about any channel except those ending in 0. Any thoughts on tuning, say 10, 20, 30, 190, etc.?
post #248 of 2181
I have tried to record with just the 40k and the SA3250HD on the bus, but it's the same. The Sony 65WS550 has no problems with the SA3250HD output, the 40k claims it's all copy protected. Your 30k should not downsample the component output to 480i, if it does you need to power it on and off along with the 3250HD to clear that up. I had a 30k for a while and it would OCCASIONALLY say it was downsampling to 480i, but I could clear that up by powering the boxes on and off.

I suspect a careful analysis of the data will show some anomaly that the JVC is responding to by declaring the stream copy protected. It must be something that's not allowed with the 5C firewire spec.
post #249 of 2181
Quote:


Originally posted by dr1394
BTW, after reading this thread, it's obvious that the Mac folks are having
way more fun with their 1394 enabled cable boxes than anyone else!

Ron

The funny thing is, I didn't really know that until I read this. I just assumed because there is a WinXP thread out there (that I'd never bothered to look at) that it was almost this easy with WinXP... Live and learn.
post #250 of 2181
Quote:


Originally posted by rcliff
Why not just use a firewire hard drive enclosure as a bridge. It can serve as a convenient place to swap cables and your recording destination.

Is there really enough bandwidth in FW400 to do this? I kind of thought that I'd have to use an additional FW bus to save stuff to an external FW drive. I'd love to be wrong, but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet,
post #251 of 2181
Hello,

I have yet again updated the scripts. This time, the Motorola 6200 scripts are updated to reflect the ability to tune to a channel over FireWire using AV/C commands. There are Tune to Channel scripts and Record on Channel scripts. I realize not all Comcast systems using the Motorola 6200 use the same channels; however, there are online tools for decimal to hex conversion to change the first two or three digits before the "FFFF" in the two scripts for each channel. Then, it is just a matter of changing the filenames to match up with the local system numbers.


From the Tips page...

Note:

14._ Presently, the AppleScripts used to tune the channels on the Motorola 6200 cannot tune a channel ending with "0" meaning that the Motorola 6200 Timer should be used to schedule such channels in terms of efficiency, arguably._ This is a problem with the Motorola 6200 firmware._ Alternatively, the all script workaround is to tune to an adjacent channel and then use either the Channel Up script or the Channel Down script._ This workaround requires more steps than using the Motorola 6200 Timer._ To schedule from iCal for a channel ending in zero assuming VirtualDVHS and AVC Browser are not running, first run the Enable Tune to Channel script, then the Tune to Channel (adjacent channel) script, then either the Channel Up or Channel Down script depending on what adjacent channel is tuned, then the Record script to begin recording and then the Stop and Quit script script to end recording._ Because of the Motorola bug, five scripts are needed for the all script workaround._ Using the Motorola 6200 Timer, only two scripts are required.

15._ The Record on Channels AppleScripts are Launch and Record plus Enable Tune to Channel plus Tune to Channel (specific channel)._ Remember Tip #14, however._ The Stop and Quit AppleScript must be run afterwards in order to run another Record on Channels AppleScript._ Otherwise, run the Tune to Channel script for a specific channel followed by the Record script.

16._ Tune to Channel AppleScripts only work after having clicked on the field to the right of the AV/C Command button on the AV/C Device: DCT-6200 window, causing the field to have a blue outline.

17._ Instead of Tip #16, run the Enable Tune to Channel AppleScript._ Only run this script once during the session when both VirtualDVHS and AVC Browser are running.

Updated the Tips page for edits and organization


zip file at http://mac_hdtv_timer.home.comcast.net

conversion tool at http://mic.microcontroller.com/Direc...iew.asp?did=92

Be sure to familiarize yourself with the main PDF and the two other PDFs at http://mac_hdtv_timer.home.comcast.net for saving the scripts in the right spot and for setting up the programs from the SDK for use with the scripts and iCal.
post #252 of 2181
Question on VirtualDVHS playback (the customized version)...

Does the timecode count up linearly? I know it should (obviously!), but when I play a recording from the 3250, my timecode bounces around at random 38:38 -> 27:33 -> 37:45...

Want to know if this is just a bug in VirtualDVHS that everyone experiences, or possibly a hosed up mpeg stream from the 3250.

-Pie
post #253 of 2181
Quote:


Originally posted by uzun
I have tried to record with just the 40k and the SA3250HD on the bus, but it's the same. The Sony 65WS550 has no problems with the SA3250HD output, the 40k claims it's all copy protected.

Uzun,
What channels are you recording? I am not having any luck recording pay movie channels ie. HBO/Showtime, through my SA3250HD, but I can record ESPNHD, INHD, etc. Have you tried one of those?

BTW - update on my sound problem. It appears as if there is a compatibility issue with the G5 and VLC - Thread. I checked their support forums and everyone that has a G5 is having the same problem. MPlayer OS X 2 crashes too Thread...
post #254 of 2181
Quote:


Originally posted by EatingPie
Question on VirtualDVHS playback (the customized version)...

Does the timecode count up linearly? I know it should (obviously!), but when I play a recording from the 3250, my timecode bounces around at random 38:38 -> 27:33 -> 37:45...

Want to know if this is just a bug in VirtualDVHS that everyone experiences, or possibly a hosed up mpeg stream from the 3250.

-Pie

I notice this as well. AKAIK, .m2t file is just fine.
post #255 of 2181
Thread Starter 
Quote:


Originally posted by jsb_hburg
Hello,

I have yet again updated the scripts. This time, the Motorola 6200 scripts are updated to reflect the ability to tune to a channel over FireWire using AV/C commands. There are Tune to Channel scripts and Record on Channel scripts. I realize not all Comcast systems using the Motorola 6200 use the same channels; however, there are online tools for decimal to hex conversion to change the first two or three digits before the "FFFF" in the two scripts for each channel. Then, it is just a matter of changing the filenames to match up with the local system numbers.

Joe, it seems the scripts are getting fairly mature now especially now with potential channel control. I'll definitely try them out later. Now I just have to figure out the correct commands for the SA boxes to change channels. More on that later.
post #256 of 2181
Thread Starter 
Quote:


Originally posted by bakerzdosen
Is there really enough bandwidth in FW400 to do this? I kind of thought that I'd have to use an additional FW bus to save stuff to an external FW drive. I'd love to be wrong, but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet,

The firewire bus is definitely not the bottleneck here. The bus speed is 400 Mb/s and an HD stream is only 19.3Mb/s. I've also used a hard drive enclosure as a bridge without and problems. I suspect the reason for the underruns that some people have seen is most likely disk fragmentation. I would recommend using a newly formatted disk and use it dedicated for this purpose. This should alleviate any potential fragmentation problems.
post #257 of 2181
Thread Starter 
Quote:


Originally posted by Cooknn
BTW - update on my sound problem. It appears as if there is a compatibility issue with the G5 and VLC. I checked their support forums and everyone that has a G5 is having the same problem.

Dave, are you using VLC 0.7.1? I also saw the sound problem on my G5 with 0.7.0 and earlier. It has to do with the addition of the optical audio out port on the G5 and VLC not recognizing it properly. Also, go to the sound control panel and make sure VLC hasn't switched the audio to the optical port unless of course your actually using the optical out.
post #258 of 2181
Thread Starter 
Quote:


Originally posted by EatingPie
Question on VirtualDVHS playback (the customized version)...

Does the timecode count up linearly? I know it should (obviously!), but when I play a recording from the 3250, my timecode bounces around at random 38:38 -> 27:33 -> 37:45...

Want to know if this is just a bug in VirtualDVHS that everyone experiences, or possibly a hosed up mpeg stream from the 3250.

-Pie

I also see this with both versions.
post #259 of 2181
Hello,

I have revised the scripts to include an "Enable Tune to Channel" script which only needs to be run once during a session. Again, this is only for the Motorola 6200 and the channels are set up for certain Comcast systems. With a little decimal to hex conversion work and some editing, the channels can be customized for your system.

See http://mac_hdtv_timer.home.comcast.net for the zip file and be sure to review the three PDFs on that page and the screenshot as to where to save these AppleScripts and to review the Tips page. Some important ones are pasted below... Updated the Tips page for edits and organization

Quote:


14._ Presently, the AppleScripts used to tune the channels on the Motorola 6200 cannot tune a channel ending with "0" meaning that the Motorola 6200 Timer should be used to schedule such channels in terms of efficiency, arguably._ This is a problem with the Motorola 6200 firmware._ Alternatively, the all script workaround is to tune to an adjacent channel and then use either the Channel Up script or the Channel Down script._ This workaround requires more steps than using the Motorola 6200 Timer._ To schedule from iCal for a channel ending in zero assuming VirtualDVHS and AVC Browser are not running, first run the Enable Tune to Channel script, then the Tune to Channel (adjacent channel) script, then either the Channel Up or Channel Down script depending on what adjacent channel is tuned, then the Record script to begin recording and then the Stop and Quit script script to end recording._ Because of the Motorola bug, five scripts are needed for the all script workaround._ Using the Motorola 6200 Timer, only two scripts are required.

15._ The Record on Channels AppleScripts are Launch and Record plus Enable Tune to Channel plus Tune to Channel (specific channel)._ Remember Tip #14, however._ The Stop and Quit AppleScript must be run afterwards in order to run another Record on Channels AppleScript._ Otherwise, run the Tune to Channel script for a specific channel followed by the Record script.

16._ Tune to Channel AppleScripts only work after having clicked on the field to the right of the AV/C Command button on the AV/C Device: DCT-6200 window, causing the field to have a blue outline.

17._ Instead of Tip #16, run the Enable Tune to Channel AppleScript._ Only run this script once during the session when both VirtualDVHS and AVC Browser are running.

The scripts are not pretty but they work for my system, referring to changing the channel. They could use a slick interface.

BTW, how I have the scripts set up with some delay counters, it takes about 5 to 7 seconds to change a channel using AV/C commands driven by the scripts.

EDIT: The tune to channel scripts fail if the Device window is in the Dock. Trial and error in action. I do have a fix for it, though.
post #260 of 2181
Quote:


Question on VirtualDVHS playback (the customized version)...

Does the timecode count up linearly? I know it should (obviously!), but when I play a recording from the 3250, my timecode bounces around at random 38:38 -> 27:33 -> 37:45...

Want to know if this is just a bug in VirtualDVHS that everyone experiences, or possibly a hosed up mpeg stream from the 3250.

The timecode generation in VirtualDVHS is somewhat of a hack. The calculation of the current timecode is based on the position in the file, and the current instanteous bit-rate. For streams that have a highly variable bit-rate, it is not very accurate, especially the farther you go into the file.

Any other suggestions for a better algorithm? For sequential playback, I could just count frames (pass the stream through a demuxer and look for mpeg pichdrs), but I wanted a scheme that can handle time-code calculations in a random access method as well.
post #261 of 2181
I have tried to record all channels, HD and SD that come out of the SA3250HD. They all generate the same error on the JVC 40k, REC PROHIBITED (103). I can record HDTV channel KPBS fine using my OTA antenna and TV"s built in HDTV tuner. If I try and record that exact same channel out of the SA3250HD, the 40k says REC PROHIBITED (103), which is the copy protection error.
post #262 of 2181
Quote:


Originally posted by uzun
I have tried to record all channels, HD and SD that come out of the SA3250HD. They all generate the same error on the JVC 40k, REC PROHIBITED (103). I can record HDTV channel KPBS fine using my OTA antenna and TV"s built in HDTV tuner. If I try and record that exact same channel out of the SA3250HD, the 40k says REC PROHIBITED (103), which is the copy protection error.

Try it with a Mac. See if you can borrow one to isolate the issue.
post #263 of 2181
Quote:


Originally posted by rcliff
For those of you that have successfully set up a working Virtual DVHS recorder, it would be great to hear your exact setup. I will summarize and incorporate this into the how-to.

I'm successfully running VirtualDVHS on a Graphite dual 500 Mhz CPU. Panther + FirewireSDK 18 for the apps. The firewire connection to my Mits WT-46805/Promise Module is via 3 15' firewire cables and two Orange Micro repeaters. On the Mac end, the cable is plugged directly into one of the Mac's built in firewire ports.

I've run into 3 significant problems along the way:
1) The computer was shipped with OS9 and that's been upgraded with 10.1,10.2, and 10.3. A fresh install of 10.3 on an erased hard drive was required to make this work.

2) Adding an Orange Micro USB2/firewire card (without installing any drivers) breaks VirtualDVHS functionality even on the internal firewire ports. I went with a 6 port firewire hub instead for my other firewire devices.

3) The Promise module gets stupid sometimes. VirtualDVHS doesn't work and the TV reports bizare information when polled with AVCBrowser. Resetting the Promise module fixes this every time so far. Plugging my Sony DV camcorder into the set (using it as a hub as described in the manual) generates this problem reliably.
post #264 of 2181
Quote:


Originally posted by jsb_hburg
Hello,

I have revised the scripts to include an "Enable Tune to Channel" script which only needs to be run once during a session. Again, this is only for the Motorola 6200 and the channels are set up for certain Comcast systems. With a little decimal to hex conversion work and some editing, the channels can be customized for your system.

See http://mac_hdtv_timer.home.comcast.net for the zip file and be sure to review the three PDFs on that page and the screenshot as to where to save these AppleScripts and to review the Tips page. Some important ones are pasted below...



The scripts are not pretty but they work for my system, referring to changing the channel. They could use a slick interface.

BTW, how I have the scripts set up with some delay counters, it takes about 5 to 7 seconds to change a channel using AV/C commands driven by the scripts.

EDIT: The tune to channel scripts fail if the Device window is in the Dock. Trial and error in action. I do have a fix for it, though.

Okay, I took care of the issue if the Device window is in the Dock. The Tune to Channel script should now work. The latest zip file is MacTimeShifter6.
post #265 of 2181
Quote:


Originally posted by EatingPie
Well, well, well... I DID get Mac-->Mits to work, but I had to reset the TV (reset button resessed next to power on button -- use paperclip). I'm now betting I can record to the PB directly from the 3250 as long as my Mits ain't in the chain. I'll try that later.

Whelp, I posted prematurely. The Mitsubishi 73711 eats it on the Mac stream as well... just not as badly as from the 30K.

It will play it back without the super blockiness as from the 30K, but it drops frames and skips... though only in parts. I watched about an hour's worth of material last night, and about half had skipping and drop out, the other half, perfectly smooth. I then played it back into the 30K (without recording), and it was all smooth.

Oh well.

rcliff, next time you talk to SA, tell 'em to hurry up with that fix!!

Seriously, though, if you do talk to them, let them know about the copy protection bug with the JVC 40K... purdy please!

-Pie
post #266 of 2181
I had some audio problems with VLC 0.7.1 two or three weeks ago and a quick search turned up 0.1.7a which solved the problem. I'm not sure if this is relevant to the audio problems with VLC on the G5's or not.
post #267 of 2181
Thread Starter 
Quote:


Originally posted by FriarWyer
OK, more info:

The last 4 bytes of the command are the channel value, it can be a one-part channel, or a two-part channel (major/minor).

The first two bytes of the channel is the major channel number.

The second two bytes of the channel is the minor channel number.

If it's a two-part channel number the MSB of the first byte of the channel should be set, otherwise, it should be clear. For a 1-part channel (major only), the 2nd two bytes are "reserved"

Eg. for channel 5.1, seems like the 4 bytes should be 80050001.

So that should give you some more to play with.

Thanks FriarWyer. This isn't really applicable for these cable STB's as they don't utilize the subchannels used for OTA digital broadcasts. The boxes just use channel numbers from 1-999. Is there any other information you can provide on the structure of the other bytes in the command? I would think there has to be something simple to get this working as the SA box do recognize and accept the command. Maybe some sort of execute command to tell the box to implement the accepted command? Thanks again for all your help.
post #268 of 2181
Quote:


Originally posted by rcliff
Thanks FriarWyer. This isn't really applicable for these cable STB's as they don't utilize the subchannels used for OTA digital broadcasts. The boxes just use channel numbers from 1-999. Is there any other information you can provide on the structure of the other bytes in the command? I would think there has to be something simple to get this working as the SA box do recognize and accept the command. Maybe some sort of execute command to tell the box to implement the accepted command? Thanks again for all your help.

It's good to know for an OTA STB since the time info sent by the stations can throw off a scheduled recording set-up through the OTA box.

FriarWyer,

Thanks for the additional ideas that were used to change the channels on the 6200 using the AV/C commands. I can't tune a channel ending with the number 0. Do you have any thoughts on alternative commands? If I knew channel up and down codes, I could do a workaround. For now, a command for 190 yields channel 19.

Thanks again for your help on this, too. I am going to have to get a second Mac for the kids since a Mac has found a home in the "home theater" equipment cluster.
post #269 of 2181
Thread Starter 
Quote:


Originally posted by jsb_hburg
The scripts are not pretty but they work for my system, referring to changing the channel. They could use a slick interface.

A Web based interface would be really cool for this. I created a Web based remote for remote control and scheduling of my Tivo. I'm not sure if you could initiate the applescripts through a browser though.
post #270 of 2181
Quote:


I can't tune a channel ending with the number 0. Do you have any thoughts on alternative commands? If I knew channel up and down codes, I could do a workaround.

That indeed is a strange problem. Sounds like a potential bug in the 6200's firmware.

You can try:

Channel up (key release state) would be:

00487C3000

Channel down (key release state) would be:

00487C3100
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HTPC - Mac Chat
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › HTPC - Mac Chat › How-To: MacOS X Firewire HDTV recording