or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Fargo, ND - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fargo, ND - HDTV - Page 62

post #1831 of 1943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post

I dont think theyd be able to virtual map it to 27.1. It would have to be 4.2 I think.

I'd be happy with it that way tho.

They could map to 27.1 if they wanted to. Check out how KESQ-DT in Palm Springs CA maps their many subchannels: http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...n=kesq#station

Or you could click on "KVMD" on the same page and compare how they do their subchannels. Both acceptable by the FCC.
post #1832 of 1943
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhett View Post

They could map to 27.1 if they wanted to. Check out how KESQ-DT in Palm Springs CA maps their many subchannels: http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...n=kesq#station

Or you could click on "KVMD" on the same page and compare how they do their subchannels. Both acceptable by the FCC.

It's being done in the twin cities ... 9-2 is actually on 29, and 29-2 actually on 9 - That was done so people with trouble receiving UHF or VHF would still be able to see the other channel..
post #1833 of 1943
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhett View Post

They could map to 27.1 if they wanted to. Check out how KESQ-DT in Palm Springs CA maps their many subchannels: http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...n=kesq#station

Or you could click on "KVMD" on the same page and compare how they do their subchannels. Both acceptable by the FCC.

10 480i streams on one 8VSB signal...must have the compression turned way up, frame rate turned down, or a combination of both....stations that try to put 4 streams on one signal generally show many compression artifacts...
post #1834 of 1943
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie7511 View Post

Registered just to ask a question.

Anyone else having issues with KVRR since the weekend storm? I have a rooftop antenna, never any major issues picking Fox up before this, but since the storm on Saturday, I can't get any reception at all. And MidCo just got rid of the in-the-clear QAM stations(well, mostly, I can get in a sports station and the PPV preview channel), so I can't go back to using those.

I am about 20 miles west of Fargo.

I thought they're required to have the local channels in-the-clear - are they not doing that?
post #1835 of 1943
They did, up until about 2-3 weeks ago, I got 4-1, 6-1, 11-1, 11-2, 13-1(thru 4) and then 15-1. then one day I got "scrambled program" when I turned the tv on, and a rescan showed the only channels no longer scrambled were midco sports and the PPV preview. Just scanned son's tv again last night(due to cable lines in the house, that one can't be hooked up to the antenna) and still the same thing. I mentioned it to the Midco tech who was here installing a new modem(which he screwed up and I had to fix for him, but I digress...) and he didn't know anything about the in-the-clear stations.

I would love to figure out what's going on with Fox though, it is the one network I make it a point to watch the shows on it live.

I really do not want cable tv again, especially not for a network that I should be able to receive easily with my antenna. When I checked antenna strength on KVRR, I was only getting a 6-8, when previously it was in the 80's at least.
post #1836 of 1943
I should have taken the side bet Midco Answered channel 610 is active as fox HD in Grand forks
post #1837 of 1943
Tonight's prime time programming on KBRR was in high def....
post #1838 of 1943
Wow, this was unexpected.

Hallelujah!!!!!
post #1839 of 1943
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie7511 View Post

They did, up until about 2-3 weeks ago, I got 4-1, 6-1, 11-1, 11-2, 13-1(thru 4) and then 15-1. then one day I got "scrambled program" when I turned the tv on, and a rescan showed the only channels no longer scrambled were midco sports and the PPV preview. Just scanned son's tv again last night(due to cable lines in the house, that one can't be hooked up to the antenna) and still the same thing. I mentioned it to the Midco tech who was here installing a new modem(which he screwed up and I had to fix for him, but I digress...) and he didn't know anything about the in-the-clear stations.

I would love to figure out what's going on with Fox though, it is the one network I make it a point to watch the shows on it live.

I really do not want cable tv again, especially not for a network that I should be able to receive easily with my antenna. When I checked antenna strength on KVRR, I was only getting a 6-8, when previously it was in the 80's at least.

an anyone confirm they they did the same thing in Moorhead? I have Cable Internet from Midco and have thought about finding an appropriate splitter and running it to my TV for times when I want to watch network high-def live, without the occasional sputtering I get through my antenna and DirecTV AM-21.
post #1840 of 1943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly33 View Post

Wow, this was unexpected.

Hallelujah!!!!!

Today's NASCAR race is in HD on KBRR, so it must be a 'permanent' thing
post #1841 of 1943
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie7511 View Post

They did, up until about 2-3 weeks ago, I got 4-1, 6-1, 11-1, 11-2, 13-1(thru 4) and then 15-1. then one day I got "scrambled program" when I turned the tv on, and a rescan showed the only channels no longer scrambled were midco sports and the PPV preview. Just scanned son's tv again last night(due to cable lines in the house, that one can't be hooked up to the antenna) and still the same thing. I mentioned it to the Midco tech who was here installing a new modem(which he screwed up and I had to fix for him, but I digress...) and he didn't know anything about the in-the-clear stations.

I would love to figure out what's going on with Fox though, it is the one network I make it a point to watch the shows on it live.

I really do not want cable tv again, especially not for a network that I should be able to receive easily with my antenna. When I checked antenna strength on KVRR, I was only getting a 6-8, when previously it was in the 80's at least.

Ah, well if you don't subscribe to cable TV, I don't think they have to have anything in-the-clear. They don't need to give you any channels at all if you don't subscribe to cable TV.
post #1842 of 1943
I'm not saying anything bad about MidCo, just that the in-the-clear stations stopped working. I have a rooftop antenna so it's not a big deal to me, I used the in the clear stations as long as I did because of the stuttering issue, but prefer the antenna because I get CW and the WDAY weather station . BUT I would like to know WHY KVRR isn't working at all for me, and it hasn't now for almost 2 weeks, when it previously worked just fine.
post #1843 of 1943
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie7511 View Post

BUT I would like to know WHY KVRR isn't working at all for me, and it hasn't now for almost 2 weeks, when it previously worked just fine.

Since you say your problem began after a storm, your antenna could have gotten damaged or, probably more likely, blown into a slightly different position. If your antenna is directional and not aimed toward the KVRR tower from your location or there is a large tree or two nearby, the slightest shift in alignment could mean the difference between good reception and no reception with a DTV signal.
post #1844 of 1943
How are the transmitter sites north and west of Fargo fairing during the high water? Are there any that are islanded? Anyone have photos?
I know the Forum showed pictures from around Hickson that showed KFGO's AM transmitter surrounded by water....
post #1845 of 1943
So DirecTV announced more HD markets today and once again Fargo was nowhere on the list.

This is inexcuseable. We've got to be the largest market that still doesnt have their HD locals from DirecTV. I'm getting really sick of this.
post #1846 of 1943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post

So DirecTV announced more HD markets today and once again Fargo was nowhere on the list.

This is inexcuseable. We've got to be the largest market that still doesnt have their HD locals from DirecTV. I'm getting really sick of this.

Have any locals on 119 been made available in HD?
post #1847 of 1943
Good question. Someone on the thread where I learned of the new ist on DBStalk.com said something about markets that are on the 119 sat not getting their HD until everyone else has it. So I'm kind of wondering what the deal is.
post #1848 of 1943
I have stopped receiving Fox and ABC OTA about 4 miles west of Grand Forks. I have tried a ton of different antenna positions and setups but can't even get a bar of signal from them when I used to have full. Anyone aware of changes that may have caused this?
post #1849 of 1943
Wow! KBRR is FINALLY in HD??? I moved away from Grand Forks last November to Denver, CO. I have a UHF and a VHF antenna set up in my apartment in south-central Denver Metro area, and I get about 22 channels OTA. All of the major channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, CW, FOX) come in crystal clear in HD. I was so thrilled to finally be in a market with FOX in HD. I'm glad that Grand Forks finally has it in HD as well. Congratulations!
post #1850 of 1943
Does anyone know why KVRR chose not to switch back to the Twins game today when play finally resumed after a rain delay? And also why they didn't even switch back after Rays @ O's, the game they had been showing during the delay, had finally ended?

I hate Fox Saturday Baseball because its not on Extra Innings.
post #1851 of 1943
Anyone know if KVLY finally did something to their transmitter? For some reason I'm suddenly able to receive it fine along with KXJB, WDAY, and KVRR. I havnt moved my antenna or anything, but the signal has jumped from the 40s where it kept dropping out, to the 70s where its stable.
post #1852 of 1943
Don't know what they did at KVLY but appears stronger here.
KCPM now is OFF THE AIR in the northern valley. KCPM must be one fly by night operation, The number listed on most FCC filings are a cell number(as far as I can figure)or the lawyers in DC, SHAINIS & PELTZMAN. For years they were on analog, but very weak. Now with the switch to digital, they boomed in, but shortly after lost their audio and now are GONE(for a few weeks). Are they going to "Cable Only"? Anybody in GF, on cable, still getting KCPM?
post #1853 of 1943
I wish someone competent would take over the broadcasting of MyNetworkTV around here. I also really wish there was a way to get the CW in HD around here besides "moving" with satellite service, which is something I've looked at a little, honestly.
post #1854 of 1943
Why isn't Jeopardy broadcast in HD on KXJB when the bug says "Jeopardy in HD"?
post #1855 of 1943
Probably because they still don't have the ability to show syndicated programming in HD. Apparently that's a different technical hurdle than just broadcasting the network programming in HD.
post #1856 of 1943
Yeah, no one around here has the ability to broadcast syndicated or local programming in HD, tho theyve all made damn sure they can get their little bugs up on HD network programming. Its especially annoying when they put a weather announcement up on the screen because if its in HD, it gets chopped down to 4:3 SD.

I really wish KFME would either switch to a UHF channel or swap transmitters with KVRR. I've got a nice big antenna in my living room that can get everything but PBS just fine, and I dont want to bother using a VHF only antenna.
post #1857 of 1943
I've seen weather alerts on WDAY on top of network HD. WDAY also shows Entertainment tonight, Inside Edition, and local ads in HD.
post #1858 of 1943
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeson83 View Post

I've seen weather alerts on WDAY on top of network HD. WDAY also shows Entertainment tonight, Inside Edition, and local ads in HD.

Local ads? Really? What store was it and what program was it aired in?

I dont watch either of those shows, ever, so I cant speak for either of them.

Also it seems like the only time a weather alert pops up is when I'm watching hockey, so I only ever see what KVLY coughs up. The other night during the storm tho, WDAY was only broadcasting their weather stuff in SD.
post #1859 of 1943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post

Local ads? Really? What store was it and what program was it aired in?

One I saw tonight during the 5pm news was an HD ad for The Forum.
post #1860 of 1943
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeson83 View Post

One I saw tonight during the 5pm news was an HD ad for The Forum.

I'll look for it if I ever watch the news.

Anyone have a design for a good, indoor VHF antenna besides the standard rabbit ear dipoles? I've been building some various antenna deigns I've found on the web this week and they all do fine on UHF, but despite numbers suggesting they'll get me KFME, none have been able to pull it in and I'm thinking I might have to go to a two antenna system.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Fargo, ND - HDTV