or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Nashville, TN - OTA
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nashville, TN - OTA - Page 109

post #3241 of 3511
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrostation View Post

Tons of praise to WBIR for picking up MEtv. One of the best stations in the nation, always a strong reputation for listening to the viewers even un
under Gannett ownership. Shame on Nashville for not expanding their subchannels.

I wasn't aware the city was responsible for TV programming. You know most of the stations are owned by completely different companies.
post #3242 of 3511
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

it's not on Wikipedia it's on the Bounce website.
http://www.bouncetv.com/find/
Nashville WLLC 42.2

Somebody likely carried that over to the Wiki article.

Somebody might want to tell BounceTV that their Nashville partner's station doesn't exist, has no authority to exist as a digital station, and that their partner's business registration was revoked by the Tennessee Secretary of State four or five years ago.
post #3243 of 3511
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

I wasn't aware the city was responsible for TV programming. You know most of the stations are owned by completely different companies.

Shame on the various companies which own stations in the Nashville market.
There. I hope the slight correction makes you more comfortable with my stance.
post #3244 of 3511
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrostation View Post

Shame on the various companies which own stations in the Nashville market.
There. I hope the slight correction makes you more comfortable with my stance.

No need to be smart. The fact is you were blaming NASHVILLE. As if the city could dictate anything. And since the stations are owned by different companies you are also implying some mass conspiracy to deny you re-runs of Hogan's Heroes and Good Times in glorious SD. Stations aren't run to be charities. They exist to make money. If having a sub-channel of Me-TV or Antenna-TV or some other network makes financial sense they will do it.
post #3245 of 3511
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

No need to be smart. The fact is you were blaming NASHVILLE. As if the city could dictate anything. And since the stations are owned by different companies you are also implying some mass conspiracy to deny you re-runs of Hogan's Heroes and Good Times in glorious SD. Stations aren't run to be charities. They exist to make money. If having a sub-channel of Me-TV or Antenna-TV or some other network makes financial sense they will do it.

No, actually. The fact is that that's what you took from it. I believe any reasonable person would know he wasn't blaming Nashville as a city or a people. Don't call him "smart." Your whole premise is dumb.
post #3246 of 3511
I received a reply to an email I sent to Mark Binda at channel 5. He said he has had talks with both ME-TV and Antenna TV. When, I don't know. He said he thought ME-TV was better. He also said any decisions on adding new channels will have to wait until the new owners take over. Sure would love to have ME-TV. smile.gif
post #3247 of 3511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashcat View Post

No, actually. The fact is that that's what you took from it. I believe any reasonable person would know he wasn't blaming Nashville as a city or a people. Don't call him "smart." Your whole premise is dumb.

That borders on flaming. Anyway I shall quote him

Shame on Nashville for not expanding their subchannels.

So WHO was he blaming? If you say the individual stations why not call them out? He didn't, he called out NASHVILLE. He and you MIGHT have point if ALL the stations in Nashville were run by the same company but they aren't. How is NASHVILLE at fault since that is CLEALRY who he puts the blame on.
post #3248 of 3511
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrotv View Post

I received a reply to an email I sent to Mark Binda at channel 5. He said he has had talks with both ME-TV and Antenna TV. When, I don't know. He said he thought ME-TV was better. He also said any decisions on adding new channels will have to wait until the new owners take over. Sure would love to have ME-TV. smile.gif

Oh great ANOTHER sub channel on WTVF. Now HD will look even worse. WTVF picture quality went down after they added News Channel 5+ and This TV. Adding another sub channel will make things even worse.
post #3249 of 3511
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

Oh great ANOTHER sub channel on WTVF. Now HD will look even worse. WTVF picture quality went down after they added News Channel 5+ and This TV. Adding another sub channel will make things even worse.

You're such a ray of sunshine. By the way, from your last post I can only surmise you take everything at its literal absolute value. So, explain it to me, I can't even pronounce "CLEALRY" let alone figure out what it means. Who made you arbiter of this thread?
post #3250 of 3511
Looks like Channel 5 hung a camera way up their tower when they did all that recent work. Quite a spectacular view. eek.gif
post #3251 of 3511
This morning I got a reply from yet another person from WTVF. She said they are under contract with This tv, and are unable to add either of those channels. Wonderful, This tv is a waste IMO. I would gladly trade This tv for ME-TV anytime. Don't know who to believe now. Guess we are stuck with these crappy subs for now.
post #3252 of 3511
I agree that MeTV and Antenna TV are the best 2 suchannels for retro TV programming. I just don't think ThisTV has a very good lineup, as it is mainly grade B and C mediocre movies at best, for the most part. But I am fortunate to receive Antenna TV on Charlotte channel WJZY 46.2, as none of my local Greenville-Spartanburg stations carry it. And they recently added ThisTV on 46.3, and have TCN on 46.4. They changed their main HD channel CW-46.1 to 720p from 1080i to improve overall pic quality across all 4 channels. They worked with Harris-Selenio to develop an advanced system of encoding, and overall it looks good to me. And I get MeTV on WSPA 7.2 from Spartanburg.
post #3253 of 3511
Why WTVF selected ThisTV has always been a mystery to me.
post #3254 of 3511
Thanks for the support from the members who obviously have some common sense. I however have had enough of the intolerance
and poor attitudes of those who have no patience for differing views than their own in this forum. After spending a little over three years here and
enjoying passing on what tidbits of knowledge I could find, it has become intolerable to even check in. You win my HD elitist friends.
This will be my final post. I do indeed hope that a major player will step in and add more subchannels. For all the rest that may have found
some of my posts informative, I wish you all the best.
post #3255 of 3511
Tyler and Jon, I highly agree about This tv. I hardly ever watch that channel due to the uninteresting content they broadcast. I don't know anyone that likes that station. Hopefully if people make their choice known to them, maybe they will do something about it. I don't see why it has to be one or the other. I was clearly told they recently had talks with both stations, knowing they already had This tv. Something just doesn't sound right. I am interested to see if the new owners make any changes.
post #3256 of 3511
If only WTVF had looked into the future and seen that a year and a half later, Me-TV and Antenna TV would have launched. Ah well, I'm sure next time they'll use their crystal ball and select a network accordingly. wink.gif

- Trip
post #3257 of 3511
I imagine these subchannels will be rotated to keep the content as fresh as is possible. I know the Huntsville stations that carried RTV and This swapped them for ATV and Bounce several months back. Contracts don’t last forever.

I do like some of the programming for MeTV, and the transfer quality of their content seems to be a lot better than what I see on ATV. You can tell some of those ATV transfers are from old videotapes that have been paused in the wrong spot one too many times. ATV also shows too many movies that have been “formatted to fit this screen” - if you are going to show old movies, stick to the 4:3 stuff please.
post #3258 of 3511
hi, new to the area, moving to Columbia. I stopped at electronics express,radio shack and bestbuy.
who in the area sells TV antennas any more? like a 4 or 8 bay bow tie or a long range vhf-uhf? the one
I owned in Ca is staying with the house was the longest range and has not been made for the last 10 years.
thanks
post #3259 of 3511
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaamon View Post

hi, new to the area, moving to Columbia. I stopped at electronics express,radio shack and bestbuy.
who in the area sells TV antennas any more? like a 4 or 8 bay bow tie or a long range vhf-uhf? the one
I owned in Ca is staying with the house was the longest range and has not been made for the last 10 years.
thanks

You mean in stock, right? Because I see TV antennas on Radio Shack & Best Buy websites. Amazon also has quite a few outdoor antennas.

I remember seeing some in Lowe’s a couple of years ago; haven’t checked lately. Wal-Mart might have some in stock.
post #3260 of 3511
The goto place in Nashville for antennas used to be Randolph and Rice but I can't find their website anymore. They may have merged and changed their name. Don't know. I bought an 8 bowtie screen antenna there about five years ago.

I don't think you will find UHF screen and bowtie antennas except at a distributor or online. Since all the stations except WSMV are UHF you won't need a large yagi. Just for the heck of it I would try one of the $15 indoor Radio Shack items since you can return it easily if it doesn't work at all.
post #3261 of 3511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon J View Post

The goto place in Nashville for antennas used to be Randolph and Rice but I can't find their website anymore. They may have merged and changed their name. Don't know. I bought an 8 bowtie screen antenna there about five years ago.
I don't think you will find UHF screen and bowtie antennas except at a distributor or online. Since all the stations except WSMV are UHF you won't need a large yagi. Just for the heck of it I would try one of the $15 indoor Radio Shack items since you can return it easily if it doesn't work at all.

An indoor antenna has a slim chance of working in Columbia TN.
post #3262 of 3511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafei View Post

An indoor antenna has a slim chance of working in Columbia TN.
Hence my caveat, "...you can return it easily if it doesn't work at all."
post #3263 of 3511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon J View Post

The goto place in Nashville for antennas used to be Randolph and Rice but I can't find their website anymore. They may have merged and changed their name. Don't know. I bought an 8 bowtie screen antenna there about five years ago.
I don't think you will find UHF screen and bowtie antennas except at a distributor or online. Since all the stations except WSMV are UHF you won't need a large yagi. Just for the heck of it I would try one of the $15 indoor Radio Shack items since you can return it easily if it doesn't work at all.
I would not even think of a $15 antenna, unless it was parts bought and self built, like a chicken wire 8 bay bow tie.
I want a high gain I might put on a rotator. might as well get the most free you can.
post #3264 of 3511
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaamon View Post

I would not even think of a $15 antenna, unless it was parts bought and self built, like a chicken wire 8 bay bow tie.
I want a high gain I might put on a rotator. might as well get the most free you can.

According to the Lowe’s web site, they sell several different outdoor antennas. They have some RCAs and Antennas Direct models. Some are in stock; some can be at the store by the 30th, yadda yadda yadda.
post #3265 of 3511
Many Lowes stores no longer carry outdoor antennas instore. They used to carry Channel Master, then Phillips and RCA. But no longer at the stores in my area of SC. And I don't think Home Depot does either. But Radioshack does carry Antennacraft.
post #3266 of 3511
Yes its Goad, and he is deceased.
post #3267 of 3511
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrostation View Post

Thanks for the support from the members who obviously have some common sense. I however have had enough of the intolerance and poor attitudes of those who have no patience for differing views than their own in this forum. After spending a little over three years here and enjoying passing on what tidbits of knowledge I could find, it has become intolerable to even check in. You win my HD elitist friends.
This will be my final post. I do indeed hope that a major player will step in and add more subchannels. For all the rest that may have found
some of my posts informative, I wish you all the best.

Don't go away....for every person who exhibits a poor attitude here, there are dozens of "non-vocal" readers who enjoy hearing your input, whether they say so or not..
I've been trolled by many people on the various forums. Many have made comments like, "Have you ever even WORKED in TV?", or even "You're just an idiot".

Funny thing is...I know who many of my fellow engineers are, behind their on-screen names. I find it funny, when I hear somebody trolling an individual with things like "It's obvious you know nothing about audio" (to a person who does audio for network broadcasts on a daily/weekly basis), or, "You don't know anything about the Olympics audio" (said to an engineer who is in charge of audio engineering for the entire Olympics), or "have you ever even worked in engineering?" (said to people who have worked in TV and Radio for decades). My favorite was, "It's obvious you know nothing about audio" (said in comments about the CALM Act, to the person who wrote the CALM Act standards) rolleyes.gif .

If people troll you and give you crap, believe me...you are in good company,
post #3268 of 3511
A change in direction. I saw a video at Komando.com about constructing a HD antenna from coat hangers, wood screws, washers, a 2X4, and a twin lead to coax balun.

My son and I constructed it last night and tested it. The thing works!! He dumped U-Verse; so programming is local OTA and Netflix. He received 26-28 total channels/subchannels with no effort. He might try moving it around on the apartment deck to see if more programming can be received.

Total cost: $20.
Edited by tomintn - 11/10/12 at 1:49pm
post #3269 of 3511

Update:

My son reports he has 28 digital channels and 3 analog. Picture and sound are great!
Edited by tomintn - 10/18/12 at 5:10pm
post #3270 of 3511
type in 4 bay bow tie at youtube and several pics of how to build one.
also the pictures on a HD TV should be much clearer too!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Nashville, TN - OTA