or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Rochester, NY - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rochester, NY - HDTV - Page 56

post #1651 of 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post
Yup. I assume Cable operators with both cable and interenet in their product lineups will protect their vested interest in cable -- or at least make the impact of any cord cutting to be 'choice neutral' for them. For those, such as satellite, without intertnet in their product line, will have no way to make the moves 'choice neutral' and they'll need to have their media delivery product compete on its own.
Ultimately, I think this is all short lived. Caps are coming, not just because it's in a company's best interest to protect another ne of it's products, but because all internet providers including wireless will see their networks completely overloaded in the next few years unless they introduce dis-incentives. Video will amount to 90 percent of all data over the internet (according to a recent study that I can't reference at this moment) in just a few years from now. So unless bandwidth massively increases (which it won't) then the only other choice is to keep usage at its current levels by "taxing". This of course makes the streaming choice much less attractive.

This doesn't take into account the service providers for streaming raising prices as well. Netflix just doubled their base package price and people flipped out. Hulu is still experimental. At some point the "trial" period for this whole streaming thing will end and people will realize the party is over.
post #1652 of 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16x9rochester View Post
This doesn't take into account the service providers for streaming raising prices as well. Netflix just doubled their base package price and people flipped out. Hulu is still experimental. At some point the "trial" period for this whole streaming thing will end and people will realize the party is over.
The netflix increase seems more to get people off DVDs. Personally I think bandwidth shoul be metered like any other utility. There is cost in maintaining and generating enough. Experimental? I guess..but everything on the web is. I'd rather pay for what I want online (ala carte) than a fat fee with tons of garbage I'll never watch.
post #1653 of 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshaff09 View Post

The netflix increase seems more to get people off DVDs.

Why would you say that? DVD's are their bread and butter, with a bought and paid for business structure, while streaming was added for free.....until now. It cost them money for content licensing but it was a carrot they dangled to keep customers.....until now...
http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news...cancel-netflix

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshaff09 View Post

Experimental? I guess..but everything on the web is.

Not really. Amazon isn't. Itunes isn't. Google isn't. Youtube isn't. Ebay isn't. They all have a proven business structure. Hulu is young, has introduced Hulu plus (a paid service) and it's content partners have admitted they are still guaging Hulu's success or impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshaff09 View Post

I'd rather pay for what I want online (ala carte) than a fat fee with tons of garbage I'll never watch.

I agree with everything in that sentence except the word "online". Viewing online, for me, sucks. I like to watch TV...in front of my TV. In my room setup up for it. On my TV designed for it. Yes, there are boxes that connect to your TV directly. But that still doesn't solve the quality issue. Or the lack of content issue. It's possible that after content providers all offer their shows online (in a pull method instead of a push method) and then internet data providers meter their usage, many people would still be better off with a "buffet" approach instead of ala carte, especially if you like to watch live news, or live sports, or live....anything. It's still about data....either one to one (internet approach) or the massively more efficient one-to-many approach (broadcasting, cablecasting, satellite-casting). Untill we have an infrastructure that allows the data flow efficiencies of broadcasting, we're just settling on lower quality while having a tug-o-war with the relatively small amount of bits available.
post #1654 of 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16x9rochester View Post

Why would you say that? DVD's are their bread and butter, with a bought and paid for business structure, while streaming was added for free.....until now. It cost them money for content licensing but it was a carrot they dangled to keep customers.....until now...
http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news...cancel-netflix


I agree with everything in that sentence except the word "online". Viewing online, for me, sucks. I like to watch TV...in front of my TV. In my room setup up for it. On my TV designed for it. Yes, there are boxes that connect to your TV directly. But that still doesn't solve the quality issue. Or the lack of content issue. .


From what I heard from the netflix increase, is that it only went up if you keep the DVD by mail option in addition to streaming. We watch tons online via box to our tvs. It's not HD, but the quality is really good for the most part. Content is available from many sources.
post #1655 of 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshaff09 View Post

From what I heard from the netflix increase, is that it only went up if you keep the DVD by mail option in addition to streaming. We watch tons online via box to our tvs. It's not HD, but the quality is really good for the most part. Content is available from many sources.

''Netflix Team:

Thank you for the e-mail regarding your new price increases. I am writing to make a promise to you. I promise to cancel my membership before 9/1/11 if you do in fact increase your monthly price from $12.95 to $17.98. That may not seem like a lot of money to many people, but if Netflix feels that it can increase the cost of membership 39% in the middle of a recession, then what will stop Netflix from increasing it more again in the future? I need to keep my monthly utility and entertainment costs in check - meaning reasonable 5 - 10% per year increases.

Physical Blu-ray discs are important to me because of the audio quality, which the streaming service does NOT come close to providing. Dolby Digital or DTS is standard for any DVD issued in the past 5 years, why don't you provide that?

Do a lot of my co-workers and friends love your streaming services? Absolutely. Will many of your members keep their $7.99 streaming only membership? Yes. However, what will Netflix do when Time Warner (Internet Service Provider) finally caps how much data it provides folks at home? What happens when Comcast, and all of the other large ISPs follow suit? Do you really believe your members will pay fee on top of fee from their ISP to get your streaming movies with sub-par audio quality? That possibility is more than real. It's coming - very, very soon.

Where will I go? I will go to the public library for DVD and Blu-ray discs. I will turn to my old DVR and record TV over the air, in HD, for free. I might use Redbox on rare occasions, and I will even try TiVo because they are giving 6 months of free Hulu Plus, and offer superior video and audio quality of OTA TV signals.

Netflix has given me the ability to cancel my cable service in the past. Many of the movies available have been terrific. I appreciate the business relationship we used to have, but soon it will be the end for us. Good luck paying hundreds of millions to license streaming content from Hollywood, battling Amazon Prime, Hulu, Crackle, and dozens of other streaming only services. I'm sorry to see us end this way.

But rest assured, it's not me, it's you.

Sincerely,
''
post #1656 of 2482
Great email message to Netflix!!
post #1657 of 2482
I noticed this morning TW blacked out CBS Programming on WROC because it had the same Programming Non-Duplication request screen that's on WUHF when Fox programming is blacked out & i would like to know why 2 rochester stations are blacked out in batavia area.
post #1658 of 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPNASCAR24 View Post

I noticed this morning TW blacked out CBS Programming on WROC because it had the same Programming Non-Duplication request screen that's on WUHF when Fox programming is blacked out & i would like to know why 2 rochester stations are blacked out in batavia area.

So call the Buffalo CBS station and ask (I suspect that they are the ones demanding "non-duplication".) I think that you know the answer.
post #1659 of 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

So call the Buffalo CBS station and ask (I suspect that they are the ones demanding "non-duplication".) I think that you know the answer.

Your Right dave. I found a PDF on TWC's Website with blackout info for WROC & it says LIN Broadcasting (Owners of Buffalo's CBS station) made the non-duplication request. The PDF says the following time slots must be blacked out.

Monday - Friday
2:30am - 5am
7am - 9am
11am - 12pm
6:30pm - 7pm
8pm - 11pm
11:35pm - 1:37am

Saturday
8am - 11am
8pm - 11pm

Sunday
9am - 11am
7pm - 11pm
post #1660 of 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPNASCAR24 View Post

I noticed this morning TW blacked out CBS Programming on WROC because it had the same Programming Non-Duplication request screen that's on WUHF when Fox programming is blacked out & i would like to know why 2 rochester stations are blacked out in batavia area.

I'm going to paste my answer from a few months back when you asked about wuhf, except I've changed the station involved Different station, same reason:


WIVB is simply protecting it's advertisers. They don't want viewers in the Buffalo market (including Batavia) to have access to an alternate CBS broadcast from Rochester. Because then Buffalo viewers of CBS broadcasts are no longer seeing Buffalo ads that advertisers have paid WIVB to be seen by Buffalo area CBS programming viewers.

In short, WIVB is simply protecting its turf that is has exclusive access to for it's network's programming (at least on cable where signal propagation is confined to a cable. OTA viewers are free to attempt to pull "out of market" signals if they wish, as I do by pulling 3 buffalo stations in Henrietta)
post #1661 of 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16x9rochester View Post

I'm going to paste my answer from a few months back when you asked about wuhf, except I've changed the station involved Different station, same reason:


WIVB is simply protecting it's advertisers. They don't want viewers in the Buffalo market (including Batavia) to have access to an alternate CBS broadcast from Rochester. Because then Buffalo viewers of CBS broadcasts are no longer seeing Buffalo ads that advertisers have paid WIVB to be seen by Buffalo area CBS programming viewers.

In short, WIVB is simply protecting its turf that is has exclusive access to for it's network's programming (at least on cable where signal propagation is confined to a cable. OTA viewers are free to attempt to pull "out of market" signals if they wish, as I do by pulling 3 buffalo stations in Henrietta)

That's must be the reason for the cbs blackout on WROC.
post #1662 of 2482
Today i noticed National Geographic Channel SD moved to channel 70 on my cable box but my den tv which doesn't have a box still gets National Geographic Channel on analog channel 73. Will this change be permanent or will the analog version move to ch. 70 soon.

I'm having a small problem with my TW remote because today it stops working with my tv at random times but it works normally with my dvr. A minute later it works with the tv again. I know it's not the batteries because i put new alkaline batteries in the remote a week or two ago. Should i swap remotes at the tw office or is their an easy fix that i can do.
post #1663 of 2482
Hi all, does anyone get ION out of Batavia OTA? I used to get it, for over a year now, and all of the sudden, it's gone! The guide data is there, but I can't watch it on either one of my TVs with two different DVRs and two different antennas.
Anyone else have this problem? I wrote to the station, and they replied,

"Thank you for the feedback. WPXJ is currently broadcasting without any technical issues. Have you performed a channel rescan on the television sets? Please inform us if this issue is still occurring after trying this option. Thank you for contacting ION Media Networks.
Audience Relations
ION MEDIA NETWORKS"

Which seems boiler plate to me....
post #1664 of 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrafetish2000 View Post

Hi all, does anyone get ION out of Batavia OTA? I used to get it, for over a year now, and all of the sudden, it's gone! The guide data is there, but I can't watch it on either one of my TVs with two different DVRs and two different antennas.
Anyone else have this problem? I wrote to the station, and they replied,

"Thank you for the feedback. WPXJ is currently broadcasting without any technical issues. Have you performed a channel rescan on the television sets? Please inform us if this issue is still occurring after trying this option. Thank you for contacting ION Media Networks.
Audience Relations
ION MEDIA NETWORKS"

Which seems boiler plate to me....

Hmmm...It's been on. Did you try the rescan? what if you manually tune to 23.1? INteresting that you get the guide data... hmmm
post #1665 of 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrafetish2000 View Post
Hi all, does anyone get ION out of Batavia OTA? I used to get it, for over a year now, and all of the sudden, it's gone! The guide data is there, but I can't watch it on either one of my TVs with two different DVRs and two different antennas.
Anyone else have this problem? I wrote to the station, and they replied,

"Thank you for the feedback. WPXJ is currently broadcasting without any technical issues. Have you performed a channel rescan on the television sets? Please inform us if this issue is still occurring after trying this option. Thank you for contacting ION Media Networks.
Audience Relations
ION MEDIA NETWORKS"

Which seems boiler plate to me....
My Bedroom tv get WPXJ ota & don't have any problem receiving it. If it helps i'm using an indoors amplified antenna & get a signal strength around 85.

Dave do you know or have any idea why TW has a second feed for WROC & WUHF on RF 18 because my den tv found it when i did a channel scan this morning. Whenever i put my dvr on WROC it uses the feed on RF 18 that doesn't blackout cbs programming. When i go to the feed on clear qam channel 8-1 cbs programming is still blacked out. Same thing with WUHF.
post #1666 of 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPNASCAR24 View Post

Dave do you know or have any idea why TW has a second feed for WROC & WUHF on RF 18 because my den tv found it when i did a channel scan this morning. Whenever i put my dvr on WROC it uses the feed on RF 18 that doesn't blackout cbs programming. When i go to the feed on clear qam channel 8-1 cbs programming is still blacked out. Same thing with WUHF.

It probably is unique to your area. Looks like an oversight on TW's part as that should be blocked too.
post #1667 of 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

It probably is unique to your area. Looks like an oversight on TW's part as that should be blocked too.

TW probably should add the blackout to the channels on RF 18 but i don't understand why tw needs to have 2 feeds for WROC & WUHF unless if their moving them to another frequency. If that's what their doing that would explain why my cable box is using RF 18.
post #1668 of 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPNASCAR24 View Post

TW probably should add the blackout to the channels on RF 18 but i don't understand why tw needs to have 2 feeds for WROC & WUHF unless if their moving them to another frequency. If that's what their doing that would explain why my cable box is using RF 18.

What other analog channels are they on there? (You didn't mention what channel WUHF is on there).
post #1669 of 2482
The Blackout is on WUHF ch. 12 & WROC ch. 8 & 1008. TW is currently transmitting WUHF on qam 94-4 (currently being used by Digital Box & has blackout) & 18-3 ( no blackout & not used by digital box). WROC is currently being sent to the digital boxes without the blackout on 18-4 & 18-1008. However WROC is blacked out on 112-88 & 8-1(PSIP Ch. Number, Physical Ch. Number Unknown) but the blacked out WROC channels aren't being used by digital boxes right now.
post #1670 of 2482
Anyone using the new whole house dvr? They want $19 a month plus a $67 install.

Are you happy with it?

Do you think I could get a free install if I returned the dvr first and waited for a deal. This is the time of year to do it!

Thanks,

Greg
post #1671 of 2482
Any idea how long there have been HBO HD shows on channel 901 with the regular HBO On demand? I stumble don it earlier this week - wish I had known before.
post #1672 of 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrude View Post

Any idea how long there have been HBO HD shows on channel 901 with the regular HBO On demand? I stumble don it earlier this week - wish I had known before.

At least a month. That's when I stumbled on it.
post #1673 of 2482
Question. Is channel 13.2 OTA broadcasting in HD when an HD program (local news for example) is on ?

Never mind...no it doesn't.
post #1674 of 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerbob View Post

Question. Is channel 13.2 OTA broadcasting in HD when an HD program (local news for example) is on ?

Never mind...no it doesn't.

Yes it does. Both 13.1 & 13.2 are 720p (HD). It doesn't make any difference when the main (13.1) is doing HD (it always is - SD material is always upconverted - same is true of 13.2).
post #1675 of 2482
OK...thanks for the clarification. At any rate, D* does not have the CW Network for any new subscribers after 9/28/2010. A waiver has been applied for on my behalf for an east coast feed. But at the DBS board it was mentioned that the QAM signal would still be available to me even though there is a trap on my line at the pole to prevent us from receiving TW CATV. So I hooked that cable up to my set ...ran a scan and lo and behold, there are the QAM stations ! Very cool. We subscribe to only Roadrunner at this time. But at least now if I wish to view the news at 10 on the CW I will be able to do just that.
post #1676 of 2482
i saw wkbw channel 7 eyewitness news will be going hd this saturday at 6pm before bills game
post #1677 of 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabre2night View Post

i saw wkbw channel 7 eyewitness news will be going hd this saturday at 6pm before bills game

That's good to hear. Can't wait.
post #1678 of 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPNASCAR24 View Post

That's good to hear. Can't wait.

Just a quick question. Will this move to an HD newscast influence what station you watch for news ? I don't have a clue where WKBW is in the nightly news ratings in Buffalo. Here in Rochester we enjoy watching the news on WHAM-13 and the addition of the HD broadcasts made watching the news on that channel that much more appealing to us.
post #1679 of 2482
It looks like WKBW will be the only Buffalo station to air their local news in HD. WGRZ has fake HD, and WIVB is SD. I hope this also means that they will air their syndicated programming in HD as well.
post #1680 of 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Cable Guy View Post

II hope this also means that they will air their syndicated programming in HD as well.

It usually doesn't. Different infrastructure changes are needed for Syndicated HD than for local news in HD. While WHAM has had local news in HD for several months, their syndicated stuff is still SD (at least the last time that I looked).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Rochester, NY - HDTV