or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Rochester, NY - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rochester, NY - HDTV - Page 66

post #1951 of 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mehs View Post

Time Warner is in the process of deploying a new version of firmware, that has been developed by a new team and priority 1 is improving performance. Not sure when Rochester is slated to get ODN 5.2, but Charlotte, NC and Syracuse and got it last week, and I believe STNY got it too.

If you go to TWC's web site & look at the navigator page you will notice they have a small preview in the upper right corner of the screen that says the new firmware will come to the Rochester area sometime this summer. They even got a preview of the new guide. Here is a link to that page. http://www.timewarnercable.com/northeast//learn/cable/navigator/?IID=F1A42E29-5A1C-4B2A-8F95-677224BFBB19
post #1952 of 2482
Yes, I know, i saw that. 'Sometime this summer' isn't very specific and I went through about a half a dozen random other divisions websites and they all say the same thing. We could get in this Tuesday, or we could get it a week after Labor day, or knowing how well TW sticks to dates, we could get it around Christmas.
post #1953 of 2482
It would be nice if the update info said something like "The dvr will actually record all your shows without having to do a daily hard reboot"!

On Saturday I had the two euro cup games scheduled at 2:30 pm. At 2:28 I got a message saying that they were going to record and then they did not. (1052 and 1053)

When I realized this, only one would record. The other said that recording of that channel was not available or some thing like that. Then at half time I did a hard reboot and both started recording...

Is espn2 (1053) sdv?

Thanks,

Greg
post #1954 of 2482
Turns out the stuttering problem I've been seeing on channels 1013 and 1016 is known by the engineering team at WHAM. They have forwarded their concerns to TW Cable's team and are awaiting a response.

They have traced the problem to TW Cable set top boxes with HDMI inputs and outputs. Even using the component connections with an HDMI equipped box does not solve the problem.

WHAM did not see the problem on Directv, Dish, OTA or non HDMI equipped boxes.

I'll post an update when I hear back from them. I spoke with TW Cable tech support tonight and they said they will contact me as well.
Edited by thebigeast44 - 6/18/12 at 11:57pm
post #1955 of 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigeast44 View Post

They have traced the problem to TW Cable set top boxes with HDMI inputs and outputs. Even using the component connections with an HDMI equipped box does not solve the problem.
WHAM did not see the problem on Directv, Dish, OTA or not HDMI equipped boxes..
I believe that virtually all HD boxes that TW uses here are HDMI equipped.
post #1956 of 2482
ESPN 2 HD is indeed SDV. ESPN HD however is not. Near the bottom of Page 8 of the Diagnostic Pages you can see if a channel is SDV or not.
post #1957 of 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mehs View Post

If you are able to get to Mt Hope before this Wednesday, please post back with the results. I really don't feel like discontenting all of my stuff and drag two cable boxes along with me in my work truck only to not get the new boxes. Plus, I’ll be on N Clinton Ave near and north of Clifford and around Upper Falls on Wednesday, and I really don’t want to have anything of any value with me driving through that ‘lovely’ section of town if not absolutely necessary. Back in the fall, I was having some issues and I tried to do a swap out of the 8642HDC and they had no multiroom DVRs in stock at any cable store and said a truck roll was required. That’s why I asked Dave if he got his at a cable store, or if a tech brought them out. They set up a service appointment, but it turned out my problem was a signal related issue at the tap. I thought it was the DVR since only the living room DVR was experiencing the tune failures not the bedroom DVR.
Anyhow, if you can post any info before Wednesday morning, that would be great, if not don’t worry about it. smile.gif Thanks!

Steve Sorry I just looked at this thread just now. I am not going to get to the store until Thurs or Fri the earliest. The wife has a few recordings she wants to watch before.
post #1958 of 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

The techs brought the boxes with them. Actually, I had a choice of the 8742s or Samsung boxes. One tech had only the Cisco boxes and the other had Samsungs.
Another thing that I don't like about the new boxes (other than Multi-Room & 500GB/box there is not much that I do like about them): When caller ID comes up, the box will not respond to remote commands - so when someone calls me, I can't pause the DVR till I answer the phone - F**king dumb!! But that is typical of Crapigator software.rolleyes.gif

The Samsung box acts the same way with Caller ID. If I hit the "exit" key it clears the caller ID so the box will respond to other commands. (I'll finally get back to you on the item you offered in a day or two - its just been crazy around here lately).
post #1959 of 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrude View Post

The Samsung box acts the same way with Caller ID. If I hit the "exit" key it clears the caller ID so the box will respond to other commands. (I'll finally get back to you on the item you offered in a day or two - its just been crazy around here lately).
It is the crappy TWC "Crapigator" SW that runs on the newer boxes. I just saw a post on the Navigator thread about people having the same problem elsewhere. (Actually he was complaining about it happening during FF - so he completely loses control {and his/her place} when he gets a call.) I suppose one could avoid the problem by disabling the Caller ID - but that is a neat feature.

Rumor has it that this is fixed in the next edition of software (coming soon). But then: what new bugs will TWC present to us with the next edition?rolleyes.gif
post #1960 of 2482
At some point this week we'll get the new black guide.

Unfortunately, last week I was unsuccessful i getting an 8742HDC.
post #1961 of 2482
According to WHEC, the upgrade is coming tonight.

http://www.whec.com/news/stories/s2669325.shtml?cat=565
post #1962 of 2482
Can't believe the new navigator is coming to my box tonight. Can't wait.
post #1963 of 2482
Usually firmware updates happen on Tuesday, I was hopping when I woke up this morning I'd see my box rebooting. Hopefully the update will be complete by 4:30, so I at least have a few minutes to play before I have to leave for work. And hopefully it doesn’t brink too many boxes so I can be in and out of the Mt Hope office in a timely manner.
post #1964 of 2482
hey guys i am fed up with my cable box ....i want a new one..this one is just so slow...i have a HD DVR model 8240HDC ...is there anything out there that is faster than what i have? if not faster ..just in general better? for the amount of money i am paying i shouldnt be dealing with this much lag...and channel unavailable messages... and skipping of my shows... they say my signal is fine. OH and another thing....anyone else ever have to reboot because the screen noticeably jitters? you can tell when the info screen is up...Anyways i have been thinking about trying to get a better box for sometime but after this lastest Firmware update...things are Much Slower it seems...its the last straw. Any help appreciated...i need the best
post #1965 of 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibez View Post

hey guys i am fed up with my cable box ....i want a new one..this one is just so slow...i have a HD DVR model 8240HDC ...is there anything out there that is faster than what i have? if not faster ..just in general better? for the amount of money i am paying i shouldnt be dealing with this much lag...and channel unavailable messages... and skipping of my shows... they say my signal is fine. OH and another thing....anyone else ever have to reboot because the screen noticeably jitters? you can tell when the info screen is up...Anyways i have been thinking about trying to get a better box for sometime but after this lastest Firmware update...things are Much Slower it seems...its the last straw. Any help appreciated...i need the best
The 8240/8300HDC is, by far, the slowest box that TW has out there. The 8642HDC or 8742HDC are the latest boxes and, for the most part, are faster.

When they say "my signal is fine", is that based on a tech visit where he measured the signal at your box? There are several signal quality issues, other than signal strength. I recently had my boxes changed and it took 3 tech visits before they had everything right. Several things can degrade over time. My set-up was fine 3 years ago, yet there were lots of things that needed to be changed 3 yrs later.
post #1966 of 2482
I got the update, I don't see anything earth shattering. It's very dark now as opposed to blue.
post #1967 of 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

I got the update, I don't see anything earth shattering. It's very dark now as opposed to blue.
Lot's of people think that the ability to customize the channels on the guide as "earth shattering". Supposedly the search function is improved (but I haven't tried it yet).
post #1968 of 2482
Didn't notice that! I'll check it out.
post #1969 of 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

The 8240/8300HDC is, by far, the slowest box that TW has out there. The 8642HDC or 8742HDC are the latest boxes and, for the most part, are faster.
When they say "my signal is fine", is that based on a tech visit where he measured the signal at your box? There are several signal quality issues, other than signal strength. I recently had my boxes changed and it took 3 tech visits before they had everything right. Several things can degrade over time. My set-up was fine 3 years ago, yet there were lots of things that needed to be changed 3 yrs later.

Yes he measured the signal on two occasions ...he actually said our signal was more than fine...which i cant believe because we constantly get pix-elation...
post #1970 of 2482
ok dave i called time warner and i spoke with rene and she said that they didnt have any of the 8742HDC models at the mt hope location frown.gif and that those models are only being introduced limited basis or something...she said she they had 8 Samsung models tho...do you know how the Samsung models are? this totally stinks... i might just go and ask if they have the 8742HDC anyways and if they dont pick up a samsung...it cant be any worst than what im dealing with now.
Edited by shibez - 6/27/12 at 12:04pm
post #1971 of 2482
I think that the 8742s are reserved for Multi-Room installations. I understand that the Samsung boxes are more prone to problems than the Cisco boxes. One strategy may be to cancel TW and go with satellite. Schedule the cancellation a couple of weeks out, to give TW a change to make you an offer. My offer included Multi-room with 2 8742 DVRs. (Each has 500gb).
post #1972 of 2482
Anyone in rochester have Have Time warner and ditched their box...and has Tivo? im seriously thinking about doing it....I know i will have to get a special adpater because of the SDV....
post #1973 of 2482
When I was there earlier today, I asked again, as of 11:10AM this morning, there are no 8742s at Mt Hope. I asked someone in the actual office today, not at the store. If you ask in the store, they can check at other locations. Maybe next week if I have time , I’ll make my rounds, I’ll hit up Gates, Brockport and Batavia. For the hell of it I was going to hit up the main office in downtown Buffalo on Chicago St, since now you can swap equipment at any office in the WNY area, but last year, I swapped out my phone modem at the Buffalo area office in Cheektowaga, which is the office closest to me and had a hell of a time getting it working and fully activated. Not sure if I want to deal with that headache again.

The Samsung boxes had two downfalls for me. 1) I couldn’t stand the stretched graphics, I’d rather have the 4:3 guide that the Cisco’s have then a stretched guide 2) The Samsung boxes do not support PIP. I use PIP for MLB and NHL action.

Overall, I’m liking the new firmware. The new UI is nice. I see some channel logos are updated, and the YES HD logo actually looks good. I noticed since this morning a bunch of channels, mostly HD, have had their logos pulled, so they will be updated tonight, and hopefully ESPN Deportes HD launches. I don’t subscribe to ESPN 3D, since I get it for free on DirecTV, but I just started playing some 3D On Demand stuff, and I’m disappointed that the box still will not auto detect 3D and so still have to hit the D button on the remote.
post #1974 of 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mehs View Post

When I was there earlier today, I asked again, as of 11:10AM this morning, there are no 8742s at Mt Hope. I asked someone in the actual office today, not at the store. If you ask in the store, they can check at other locations. Maybe next week if I have time , I’ll make my rounds, I’ll hit up Gates, Brockport and Batavia. For the hell of it I was going to hit up the main office in downtown Buffalo on Chicago St, since now you can swap equipment at any office in the WNY area, but last year, I swapped out my phone modem at the Buffalo area office in Cheektowaga, which is the office closest to me and had a hell of a time getting it working and fully activated. Not sure if I want to deal with that headache again.
The Samsung boxes had two downfalls for me. 1) I couldn’t stand the stretched graphics, I’d rather have the 4:3 guide that the Cisco’s have then a stretched guide 2) The Samsung boxes do not support PIP. I use PIP for MLB and NHL action.
Overall, I’m liking the new firmware. The new UI is nice. I see some channel logos are updated, and the YES HD logo actually looks good. I noticed since this morning a bunch of channels, mostly HD, have had their logos pulled, so they will be updated tonight, and hopefully ESPN Deportes HD launches. I don’t subscribe to ESPN 3D, since I get it for free on DirecTV, but I just started playing some 3D On Demand stuff, and I’m disappointed that the box still will not auto detect 3D and so still have to hit the D button on the remote.

hmmm i would love if i could stretch the guide on this cisco lol and as for PIP i never use it cos the thing is WAY to slow to use it...maybe back in the SD days but since i have gone HD in 07 ...goodness...if i try to use PIP on the time warner box...the thing will freeze like no tomorrow ....
post #1975 of 2482
One thing I found extremely odd, both the Cisco and Samsung WH DVRs have 500 GB hard drives, but if you go into the diagnostic screens, the Samsung boxes had over 60 GB less of actual recording capacity. Not sure what could explain that, other than differences in the formatting, but still 60 GB is an awful lot of space to lose. Somewhere in this tread I believe I posted a link to when I posted screen shots of both DVRs on DSLReports.

The other difference is in a MOCA situation, with the Samsungs on the % Full line in the DVR Screen, it showed the total space used across your entire MOCA network, on the Cisco box, it shows the used space on the local drive only. I didn't care for the Samsung's at all, I don't think I even had them three days before I called up and requested that I be swapped out for the Cisco's.
post #1976 of 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibez View Post

Anyone in rochester have Have Time warner and ditched their box...and has Tivo? im seriously thinking about doing it....I know i will have to get a special adpater because of the SDV....
I've had a couple of calibration customers with TiVo's & Tuning Adapters. They were somewhat "quirky" but basically worked OK. The one downside is that you can't access On Demand channels with this set-up (and On Demand is becoming a more significant source of program material for some).
post #1977 of 2482
Ok now what about if i bought my Own cable box....Like my own HD DVR ...Like a Compatible one with Time Warners Systems....would i still be able to get access to all the ON demand features and all that? Of course i would notify them about this and I guess i would have to get a cable card? i dont know how it work....
post #1978 of 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibez View Post

Like a Compatible one with Time Warners Systems.
Finding one is the rub.
post #1979 of 2482
What did you have in mind? Pretty much your options for non TW provided HD DVRs to use with digital cable are TiVo, Moxi or a PC solution.
post #1980 of 2482
I was thinking about just buy my own cisco....the best model they had...in the past i saw websites who sold them but i cant find them anymore ....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Rochester, NY - HDTV