or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Tallahassee, FL - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tallahassee, FL - HDTV - Page 4

post #91 of 4494
Quote:


Originally posted by dsmith901
Have you tried a balanced isolation transformer on the TV and HDTV tuner? If it is an electrical system problem that may help.

No, I haven't tried that. The interference is rf - you can see pops on ch 2 off air on analog (if there was a ch2 analog-in the snow on an analog tv here) black lines streak the picture. In digital, this causes the receiver to lose lock for an instant, then lock back up. This causes the stream to pause. Different receivers handle that differently. Mine freezes for a second. My Outlaw pre-amp has to re-aquire the audio and lock back up - 5 seconds of silence. I don't beleive a transfromer would help.
What causes it - a badly tuned car driving down the street; the neighbor's ac, your ac, switch noise, might near anything. Listen to an am radio.
post #92 of 4494
Comcast called last night and said they now have DVRs. Picked mine up this morning. It's the single tuner Moto DCT6208. I was hoping for the 6412 dual turner.

Asked about NBC HD and they said they are still negoiating with WTWC.
post #93 of 4494
How much extra is it for the DVR? How many hours can be recorded? I am not familiar with Comcast's DVR's, any info you could provide would be appreciated.

How did you actually get Comcast to call you.
post #94 of 4494
Quote:


Originally posted by 1998Nole
How much extra is it for the DVR? How many hours can be recorded? I am not familiar with Comcast's DVR's, any info you could provide would be appreciated.

How did you actually get Comcast to call you.

I called them today, I only got the pricing info: $9.95 more a month per DVR. I will find out more tomorrow as I am only going to replace one of my digital cable boxes with the DVR until I know more about it.
post #95 of 4494
Quote:


Originally posted by PBSengineer
No, I haven't tried that. The interference is rf - you can see pops on ch 2 off air on analog (if there was a ch2 analog-in the snow on an analog tv here) black lines streak the picture. In digital, this causes the receiver to lose lock for an instant, then lock back up. This causes the stream to pause. Different receivers handle that differently. Mine freezes for a second. My Outlaw pre-amp has to re-aquire the audio and lock back up - 5 seconds of silence. I don't beleive a transfromer would help.
What causes it - a badly tuned car driving down the street; the neighbor's ac, your ac, switch noise, might near anything. Listen to an am radio.

Could the antenna be part of the problem?
post #96 of 4494
I just got Comcast hooked up today (switched from dish network while I am in a townhouse for a few months). I got the HD receiver, which seems to work pretty good. It does not correct for the aspect ratio of my widescreen which is kind of annoying, but the PQ seems pretty good.

To my surprise they called me tonight to tell me that I could now get the DVR which I had inquired about before, but that I need to bring in my box to swap out. I told them that I did not have digital cable box, but instead I had the HD box. They said, "Our DVR replaces the HD receiver, and receives and records HD."

!!! Did we expect this? Two different comcast reps told me that that the new box records 6-8 hours of HD, 40-60 hours of digital and 25 hours of analog. Do they have other DVR options? I am not sure what the total offering is...

I am picking it up on Thursday morning and will report back...
post #97 of 4494
I called the other day and I am number 75 or so on the waiting list. Havibg the HD already I was told I should get one sooner as they are trying to get those who have HD first.

They told me the same thing on the number of hours it can record. I want to know if you can set up like a TIVO where you can set it to record a show each time it is on.
post #98 of 4494
Well, I got the new HD DVR from Comcast, and it works as advertised. It might not be the best DVR out there, but for $5 per month extra (on top of the $5 for the HD non-dvr box), it is certainly the best value. (not 100% sure on pricing until I see the first bill).

Also, though it did not seem to get mentioned in TLH at all, other forums on AVS have talked about it (search for model DCT6208).

It can be set up to record a show each time it is on, as long as it is on the same time and channel. You can set a program to record at 6:30p on Ch10 once, every day, every weekday, or once a week.

The HD functionality is almost boring in the sense that it works exactly the same as the non-HD functions. There is nothing special about it, and it just works (which is fine for me).

The HD recordings include the DD5.1 audio, and look just like live tv. It buffers the last 15 minutes of an HD program you are watching, and the last hour of digital cable. There is no skip 30 seconds button like my Dish PVR had, and I will miss that. It has basically the same controls as Tivo, but the menus/software and interface is not as polished.

When I picked it up there was a list with about 8-9 names per day that they had at the desk. I was the first one to sign the sheet, but I don't know if they had more than one sheet. The box looks identical to the regular HD box, but you can see that it has a hard drive in it.

Post any other questions that you have and I will do my best, and I hope those of you that are on the list get one soon.
post #99 of 4494
Has anyone been able yet to pick up a clean HD signal OTA from WTWC, without the earlier reported problems?
post #100 of 4494
Quote:


Originally posted by dsmith901
Has anyone been able yet to pick up a clean HD signal OTA from WTWC, without the earlier reported problems?

Yes, my signal has been very clean with a Megawave indoor antenna.

According to antennaweb.org, I am only 1.4 miles from the tower.

Edit.... I misread the call sign. My best signal is from WCTV which is 1.4 miles away. I got a relatively good signal also from WTWC (16 miles) during the Olympics, but I think I get a lot of interference from the surrounding trees.
post #101 of 4494
Talked to Comcast the other day. They said they are still negoiating with WTWC about carrying NBC HD. Said WTWC wanted paid extra for HD and Comcast said they are holding out for the same deal they got with WCTV where there was no extra charge for HD.

Also found out the NFL TV with coming soon to Comcast and they are trying to get Fox Sports Net like the sats have it where you paid $5 for all the regional channels.
post #102 of 4494
Quote:
Originally posted by dsmith901
Has anyone been able yet to pick up a clean HD signal OTA from WTWC, without the earlier reported problems?

I get it fine. I use an "old-fashioned" VHF/UHF antenna with a Channel Master rotator. I can usually get a 100 signal rate on both my Hughes E86 and Samsung 360.
post #103 of 4494
Does anybody know if the local stations transmit PSIP Information with their digital broadcasts?

(It is basically their programming information that can be used with receivers that support electronic program guides)

=FaxMan
post #104 of 4494
Quote:


Originally posted by FaxMan
Does anybody know if the local stations transmit PSIP Information with their digital broadcasts?

(It is basically their programming information that can be used with receivers that support electronic program guides)

=FaxMan

PBS does, but no one else so far. BUT The FCC has just issued their 2nd DTV report and order and in there they order that all stations must broadcast PSIP. So it should happen any day now
post #105 of 4494
Quote:


Originally posted by PBSengineer
PBS does, but no one else so far. BUT The FCC has just issued their 2nd DTV report and order and in there they order that all stations must broadcast PSIP. So it should happen any day now

Except for 46-1 that always says "Regular Schedule," I've been getting PSIP on all digital stations for some time now (I'm not sure when it first started). However during the day, PBS's info. just repeats what is on 11-1 for the other three stations.
post #106 of 4494
New here, hello.

Does anyone have any updated info on ABC or Fox getting the HD signal? Going to be awful to watch the Bucs and MNF without the HD signal.

Bought my new TV and got the Comcast signal a few weeks ago, only to be disappointed with a meager 5 HD channels. Pretty pathetic on Comcast's part.
post #107 of 4494
Quote:


Originally posted by sfoltz
Except for 46-1 that always says "Regular Schedule," I've been getting PSIP on all digital stations for some time now (I'm not sure when it first started). However during the day, PBS's info. just repeats what is on 11-1 for the other three stations.

Not sure why that is. We put PGM info for 11-1, 11-2, & 11-3 in the PSIP. (11-4 comes from Dept of Education and they give us no info to put in there) I just checked again and my Samsung T-165 gets info for 11-1 , 2 & 3. What do you use for a receiver?
post #108 of 4494
I called ABC/NBC on Friday and was told that "there are no plans for ABC to broadcast in HD". When I mentioned that federal law requires a plan for at least going digital the receptionist offered to connect me to engineering. The main contact is Dennis and he is listed on the local ABC website as the engineering contact if you want to get in touch with him. He did not pick up when I called...

They also offered no update on the NBC HD on Comcast.
post #109 of 4494
Quote:


Originally posted by PBSengineer
Not sure why that is. We put PGM info for 11-1, 11-2, & 11-3 in the PSIP. (11-4 comes from Dept of Education and they give us no info to put in there) I just checked again and my Samsung T-165 gets info for 11-1 , 2 & 3. What do you use for a receiver?

I use both a Samsung SIR-TS360 and a Hughes E86. I just checked (10:10 am, Sunday) and all the PBS channels (11-1, 11-2, 11-3 & 11-4) have the "McLaughlin Group" listed in both receivers' guides.
post #110 of 4494
Quote:


Originally posted by thetoolman
I called ABC/NBC on Friday and was told that "there are no plans for ABC to broadcast in HD". When I mentioned that federal law requires a plan for at least going digital the receptionist offered to connect me to engineering.

WTXL is already being digitally broadcasted so it meets the Federal requirement (not sure if its full power yet). Since our ABC affiliate is a Sinclair station, the best source to contact as to when it may of hidef is forum member "MisterDTV" who recently posted a list of Sinclair stations now broadcasting in hidef in this thread: Sinclair HDTV List
post #111 of 4494
Quote:


Originally posted by Capella
New here, hello.

Does anyone have any updated info on ABC or Fox getting the HD signal? Going to be awful to watch the Bucs and MNF without the HD signal.

Bought my new TV and got the Comcast signal a few weeks ago, only to be disappointed with a meager 5 HD channels. Pretty pathetic on Comcast's part.

According to the local Fox affiliate, they are scheduled to begin broadcasting in HD in December, but it will likely be low power to cover basically Bainbridge probably not strong enough for Tallahassee. They are working on a timeline for full power buildout, but don't have it yet.

I have no idea if Comcast is planning to carry it.
post #112 of 4494
IS comcast obligated to carry the local fox and abc on in HD or can they get it from somewhere else.

BTW I got the DVR and overall it is pretty good, lacks some features but it is a heck of al lot better than a VCR.
post #113 of 4494
I'm pretty sure that the local affiliates hold all of the cards. They alone can decide if any other provider (i.e. Comcast or Satellite) can carry the network signal to which they have territorial rights. Guess which way they usually decide?

Hopefully the Satellite sponsored initiatives that will allow distant network HD programming to be provided if the local affiliate doesn't offer it will prevail.

(see www.iwantmyhdtv.com)
post #114 of 4494
Iv'e been out of town all week. NBC 40-1 and 40-2 are not working this morning. Anyone know whats going on? I hope it is just temporary.
thanks,
Kenny Council
post #115 of 4494
PBSengineer,

I hope you can answer this for me. Are channels 190&192 on comcast experiencing problems? All weekend and today the picture was almost impossible to see due pixelization, the sound was also breaking up occasionally. Also do you know why sometimes channel 192 during the day is not pbs kids but FKN?

Thanks
post #116 of 4494
Thanks for the heads up. Truly bad pixulation on all four sub channels (actually 11-2 was gone) I have called Comcast and they assure me that they will fix the problem. If I had to guess, the gusts from Ivan probably blew their antenna around a bit.
post #117 of 4494
WTWC is now broadcasting DD 5.1 on 40-1
post #118 of 4494
PBSengineer,

Thanks for looking into that, PBS kids is one of my son's favorite channels. As of tonight it looked like it was back to normal. Thanks Again.
post #119 of 4494
Hello from a new member of the Tallahassee HDTV ranks!

So far I'm just OTA. But I'm only able to get CBS (of the major networks - I can get PBS as well). It seems like you guys are able to get NBC with no problem - I can't get anything at all. (I'm by Cap. Cir. NE and East Park).

Unfortunately, my TV (with built-in tuner) won't lock onto a channel unless it's picking up a decent signal, so if it doesn't lock in on the channel scan, I get nothing.

Is it just my setup, or is NBC possibly having some down time right now? And what channel does it come in on? I can't figure out if it should be 2 or 40.

Thanks!
post #120 of 4494
Is anybody using the Comcast HDTV PVR? If so, please give details as to performance, cost, connections, etc. Thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Tallahassee, FL - HDTV