or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › How to record via IEEE 1394 (Firewire) to Windows XP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to record via IEEE 1394 (Firewire) to Windows XP - Page 200

post #5971 of 6013
Thanks Mike. I spent couple of hours today trying to get something recorded on tape through FireWire. I used my old Sony DV Standard Def. camcorder (DCR-HC90) which I have used many times with Sony HDD-DVR (RDR-HX715) purchased around 2005 both equipped with iLink. Controlling and transferring recordings from DV tapes to DVR was never so easy. I thought it will be the same with JVC DVHS. I followed vcr manual but everytime I am switching vcr input to I-1 the TV screen goes blank (JVC is connected with TV using HDMI) like there is no video signal coming out of vcr. Not mentioning controlling DV camera is not possible either.

I decided to check vcr FireWire connection to make sure both IEEE1394 inputs on vcr works fine, so I ran Cyberlink Power Producer 11 under Win7 and connecting my VCR to PC while Sony camcorder to front iLink socket of VCR. Both devices (VCR and Camcorder) were visible and selectable from application menu as sources for capture which ensured me firewire on my vcr works fine.

Still I am stuck and appreciate anyones help. Thanks in advance.
post #5972 of 6013
Got the a30 update for my DVR's overnight. Tried the firewire with the DCX340 and it's worse for me after the update. Once I hit record, the picture gets distorted test.mpg (0_05_06) 000237.jpg 465k .jpg file

Tried the different rituals in this thread, but no luck

Tried with my DCT after the update and that seems to work better. Tried two recording without the channel changing ritual and both were perfect
post #5973 of 6013
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroybrown View Post

Got the a30 update for my DVR's overnight. Tried the firewire with the DCX340 and it's worse for me after the update. Once I hit record, the picture gets distorted test.mpg (0_05_06) 000237.jpg 465k .jpg file

Tried the different rituals in this thread, but no luck

Tried with my DCT after the update and that seems to work better. Tried two recording without the channel changing ritual and both were perfect

Did you try pausing the video on the DVR, start capture, then immediately resume DVR playback? That's what I had to do on my DCX to successfully capture after the last update. Prior to that I had to use a different sequence of events.
post #5974 of 6013
Yeah, still got the distorted video. That technique worked before the update. The video would playback at double speed on the DVR, but the capture would still work. Now it does not
post #5975 of 6013
does anyone here use a DCX-3300M? My friend has one and I'm trying to help him set it up for firewire capture.
post #5976 of 6013
I have read that the DCX series had problems sending from the firewire port, but some have reported that a new firmware update may have fixed the problem. I capture from firewire using a DCT box without problems using Win XP SP3.

Mike T
post #5977 of 6013
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroybrown View Post

Yeah, still got the distorted video. That technique worked before the update. The video would playback at double speed on the DVR, but the capture would still work. Now it does not

I have experienced the first major issue since Comcast pushed out a firmware update awhile back. I normally use WMC + HD Homerun Prime to record content I want to keep these days, but the WMC service crashed and all of my recordings failed one day.

I wanted to save the Seahawks game recorded on Fox, which I also recorded to my DCX-3400-M. When I play back this program with FireWire connected, it does the double speed playback you described. I made many attempts but none of the transfers were anywhere close to usable. Even running an error check did not work as expected, there were so many errors the estimated time climbed up to hours. Attempts to play the transfer show a few blocks of pixels and lots of empty space. However, I have made numerous successful transfers of content recorded on other networks prior to and after this issue was observed.

Overall, my transfers seem to be reliable now when the content plays back at normal speed, but this particular NFL game fails spectacularly. Last season I transferred several games from this network and I believe they played back faster than real time, but the transfers were usable, though with occasional intermittent errors, requiring multiple transfer passes to edit out glitches.

This is the first time I haven't been able to assemble a successful transfer with multiple transfer attempts.
post #5978 of 6013
So this recording you do through firewire, it works only for copy free programs, right? Are you abke to record copy once programs as well?
post #5979 of 6013
Quote:
Originally Posted by esdwa View Post

So this recording you do through firewire, it works only for copy free programs, right? Are you abke to record copy once programs as well?

copy free = un-encrypted
copy once = encrypted
copy never = encrypted.

unless you figure out the decryption key(s), then you will be limited to copy free flagged content.
in my area, this means everything except HBO/Cinemax,Showtime/etc
Edited by qz3fwd - 9/13/13 at 4:54pm
post #5980 of 6013
Alright you're probably not going to believe this since I am still having a hard time believing it, but contrary to what I'd thought was true it appears 100% possible to run CapDVHS 2003 (v0.3.0.6) on 64-Bit Win7 Pro in order to capture firewire feed from my JVC DT100U.

I know, lots of discussion here has dealt with attempts at firewire recording from Motorola DVR's of various types and firmware versions, and which always insisted that it was only the 32-bit firewire drivers that existed to support firewire connection from the DVR. So I just assumed this would also be true of trying to make PC recordings from my older DVHS (copy-freely) recordings originally made years ago from offloads via firewire from Motorola DCT/DCH DVRs (which never had serious firewire problems as the DCX family did) to my DVHS VCR's. In other words I would have to use CapDVHS with my old 32-bit WinXP system, along with the very old 32-bit firewire drivers for DVHS machines acquired many years when CapDVHS was also downloaded.

Well, today I received the 15-foot 4/6-pin firewire cable from Monoprice that I'd bought so that I could begin transferring my old "So You Think You Can Dance" DVHS tapes to TS->MPG, expecting full well to be forced back to 32-bit WinXP to do that.

You can imagine my surprise when plugging in the new firewire cable and connecting my DT100U to my PC saw what appeared to be 64-bit Win7 Pro seemingly going to the MS Windows Update site to retrieve and install the appropriate drivers for the JVC DVHS VCR. This seemed to be going without a hitch, and sure enough when it was all done the only device that did not get a suitable driver was for the "AV/C tuner" in the VCR:



Seemed ok to me, since I only cared about CapDVHS being able to control the tape deck mechanism, not the tuner. And the drivers to support the rest of the DT100U appeared to get installed successfully!! Hmmm... presumably these were all appropriate 64-bit drivers that just got installed.

So would CapDVHS work in a 64-bit environment, with the 64-bit drivers for the DT100U DVHS tape deck components that had just gotten installed??? Would I actually be able to do this tape->TS transfer from DVHS under 64-bit Win7 Pro, and never actually have to look at WinXP again even for just this very special task???

I then manually pushed PLAY on the VCR to begin playback. And with playback now proceeding I pushed the REC button on CapDVHS (which had already surprised me enough even by just starting up and running seemingly without a complaint). Astonishingly, I saw the time counter moving along normally, exactly as if it were really doing its recording!!

After a few minutes I pushed STOP on CapDVHS, and looked in the \CapDVHS folder with Explorer. Sure enough there lived a new TS file of several hundred megabytes, exactly as expected. I then OPEN'd it, and sure enough those few recorded moments from the DVHS tape now appeared on my PC!!!

So sure enough, it would appear that the automatically downloaded MS-provided 64-bit drivers for firewire access to/from the DT100U seems to be 100% compatible with CapDVHS, all of which seems to work together perfectly on 64-bit Win7 Pro!!!

To say that I am astonished would be an understatement. I really could not be happier, as I now begin the project of transferring all of my copy-freely DVHS tapes to TS with CapDVHS under 64-bit Win7, and then edited TS->MPG with VideoReDo.

Very very exciting. Good news, if you are a DVHS VCR owner.
post #5981 of 6013
+64,000,000,000
post #5982 of 6013
Does this method work with the xfinity x1 dvrs?
post #5983 of 6013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Beem View Post

Does this method work with the xfinity x1 dvrs?

Noone's tried?
post #5984 of 6013
I would if I had one. Comcast here I use a DCH3416 and it streams fine to XP computer. Maybe you should try it and be the first to know.

Mike T
post #5985 of 6013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Beem View Post

Does this method work with the xfinity x1 dvrs?

I don't think the X1 boxes have FireWire ports.
post #5986 of 6013
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSugino View Post

I don't think the X1 boxes have FireWire ports.

Dont all cable STB's still have to have fully functional firewire ports on them or did comcast get a waiver from the FCC?
post #5987 of 6013
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

Dont all cable STB's still have to have fully functional firewire ports on them or did comcast get a waiver from the FCC?

This rule was changed a few years ago. Cable companies are no longer required to have a FireWire port in their cable boxes if they provide some alternate IP interface instead. The FCC postponed enforcement of this until June of next year, which means the whole issue is foggy for the next year or so. I guess this is how Comcast gets away with it. <<shrug>>
post #5988 of 6013
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSugino View Post

I don't think the X1 boxes have FireWire ports.

Some do, as to whether it's functional is another story.
post #5989 of 6013
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSugino View Post

This rule was changed a few years ago. Cable companies are no longer required to have a FireWire port in their cable boxes if they provide some alternate IP interface instead. The FCC postponed enforcement of this until June of next year, which means the whole issue is foggy for the next year or so. I guess this is how Comcast gets away with it. <<shrug>>

IP interface? Whatever do you mean?
post #5990 of 6013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Beem View Post

IP interface? Whatever do you mean?

You can read all the pertinent details here.
post #5991 of 6013
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSugino View Post

You can read all the pertinent details here.

We are not talking about Internet Protocol, wIfI or ethernet, but 1394. The comcast DVRs have never supported Internet Protocol, wIfI or ethernet.
post #5992 of 6013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Beem View Post

We are not talking about Internet Protocol, wIfI or ethernet, but 1394. The comcast DVRs have never supported Internet Protocol, wIfI or ethernet.

We are talking about Internet Protocol because the OP asked if FireWire was still required by the FCC. The answer is no, as long as an alternate IP interface was provided.

As for "comcast DVRs have never supported Internet Protocol, wIfI or ethernet" - IP is used for a lot of features. Video on Demand, xfinity TV Remote app, and telephony service (caller ID on screen) to name a few.
post #5993 of 6013
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGExpandingPanda View Post

What of the DCX3400 series? I've tried various Motorola drivers but thus far none offer channel change.


TIA

Those of you with the DCX-3400: What driver pkg do you use? My pkg doesn't list the DCX-3400.
post #5994 of 6013
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSugino View Post

We are talking about Internet Protocol because the OP asked if FireWire was still required by the FCC. The answer is no, as long as an alternate IP interface was provided.

As for "comcast DVRs have never supported Internet Protocol, wIfI or ethernet" - IP is used for a lot of features. Video on Demand, xfinity TV Remote app, and telephony service (caller ID on screen) to name a few.

My understanding is that the cable companies are required to do more than just have an alternate IP interface. They must provide a mechanism to back up DVR recordings. And the requirement for functional FireWire is still there but was weakened: The cable companies are allowed to buy units that don't include FireWire, but they are required to provide a unit with FireWire if a customer requests it.
post #5995 of 6013
Many prime channel movies broadcasted in the morning are Copy Free unlike evening or weekend when everything is pretty much Copy Once.
Go figure!
post #5996 of 6013
Just got back from vacation for two weeks, and went to try and offload some DVR content from my Comcast DCT-3416 (as I've been doing for about 6 years now), but found that there appear to have been some changes (firmware updates?) since I last tried. What I'm mainly finding is that CBS will no longer capture properly (D-VHS wont start the capture at all, or only records a second or two). So far, this appears to only be on CBS (channel 189 locally).

Has anyone else had firewire capture issues over the past week or two? Did they somehow change so this is set as 5C now?

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can offer.
post #5997 of 6013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiernan View Post

Just got back from vacation for two weeks, and went to try and offload some DVR content from my Comcast DCT-3416 (as I've been doing for about 6 years now), but found that there appear to have been some changes (firmware updates?) since I last tried. What I'm mainly finding is that CBS will no longer capture properly (D-VHS wont start the capture at all, or only records a second or two). So far, this appears to only be on CBS (channel 189 locally).
Has anyone else had firewire capture issues over the past week or two? Did they somehow change so this is set as 5C now?

I haven't been seeing issues. And if your channel 189 is the over-the-air broadcast CBS channel, then I'm 99.9% sure it would be illegal to flag it as anything other than copy-freely. If it is a cable channel such as CBS Sports then it is up to to the cable company (or sometimes the content owner demands certain protections)

Although I can't think of the tool names, there's software that you can run that will show you if the stream is being flagged as Copy-Once or Copy-Never.
Edited by TNO821 - 9/28/13 at 2:50pm
post #5998 of 6013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO821 View Post

I haven't been seeing issues. And if your channel 189 is the over-the-air broadcast CBS channel, then I'm 99.9% sure it would be illegal to flag it as anything other than copy-freely. If it is a cable channel such as CBS Sports then it is up to to the cable company (or sometimes the content owner demands certain protections)

Although I can't think of the tool names, there's software that you can run that will show you if the stream is being flagged as Copy-Once or Copy-Never.

No, there was a more recent FCC ruling that allows them to encrypt even OTA channels that they rebroadcast.

See here for Comcast's changes that this allowed them to implement, for example: http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/limited-basic-encryption/

And see here for the actual ruling (I'm linking the Internet Archive due to the government shutdown): http://web.archive.org/web/20130421032105/http://www.fcc.gov/document/commission-relaxes-cable-encryption-prohibition


FWIW, the CBS signal in HD on Atlantic Broadband in Miami just recently became encrypted for me, but at least I can pick up a good signal OTA.
post #5999 of 6013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmortal03 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO821 View Post

I haven't been seeing issues. And if your channel 189 is the over-the-air broadcast CBS channel, then I'm 99.9% sure it would be illegal to flag it as anything other than copy-freely. If it is a cable channel such as CBS Sports then it is up to to the cable company (or sometimes the content owner demands certain protections)Although I can't think of the tool names, there's software that you can run that will show you if the stream is being flagged as Copy-Once or Copy-Never.
No, there was a more recent FCC ruling that allows them to encrypt even OTA channels that they rebroadcast. See here for Comcast's changes that this allowed them to implement, for example: http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/limited-basic-encryption/And see here for the actual ruling (I'm linking the Internet Archive due to the government shutdown): http://web.archive.org/web/20130421032105/http://www.fcc.gov/document/commission-relaxes-cable-encryption-prohibitionFWIW, the CBS signal in HD on Atlantic Broadband in Miami just recently became encrypted for me, but at least I can pick up a good signal OTA.

Mmortal03,

Whether or not a channel is encrypted is not the same as the channel's copy permission bit being sent to 'copy once' or 'copy never'. A channel can be encrypted and still be set to 'copy freely'.

Encryption impacts whether or not subscribers can receive cable programming on hardware not provided by the cable company that doesn't have a cable card in it. As an example, now that the network channels are being encrypted, subscribers can't just plug the coaxial cable from their wall outlet into their TV and receive basic tier programming using its built in Clear QAM tuner. Similarly a lot of Clear QAM tuner devices for PCs are no longer useful for subscribers with their basic channels encrypted.

Unless they also change the copy bit, users can still copy content via the FireWire output of a cable company device. I have Comcast and haven't notice any changes with the copy protection bits.
post #6000 of 6013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post

Mmortal03,

Whether or not a channel is encrypted is not the same as the channel's copy permission bit being sent to 'copy once' or 'copy never'. A channel can be encrypted and still be set to 'copy freely'.

Encryption impacts whether or not subscribers can receive cable programming on hardware not provided by the cable company that doesn't have a cable card in it. As an example, now that the network channels are being encrypted, subscribers can't just plug the coaxial cable from their wall outlet into their TV and receive basic tier programming using its built in Clear QAM tuner. Similarly a lot of Clear QAM tuner devices for PCs are no longer useful for subscribers with their basic channels encrypted.

Unless they also change the copy bit, users can still copy content via the FireWire output of a cable company device. I have Comcast and haven't notice any changes with the copy protection bits.

True CCI and encryption are not the same. however most people probably get confused because you basically never see an un-encrypted channel with copy once/copy never bits set.
CCI = Redistribution control (copying)
Encryption = Access control (paying for the service)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › How to record via IEEE 1394 (Firewire) to Windows XP