or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Official Samsung HLP Power Buy Details
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung HLP Power Buy Details - Page 3  

post #61 of 3592
HTWAITS:

1. Killer competition from other companies.
2. Better detail in dark scenes and better "contrast/depth" in bright scenes -- as advertised.
3. No hint of audio/video sync problems -- as advertised.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The order I would like to see this addressed is in reverse!! The model I was looking at the sync problem was really unacceptable!! Is this going to be a non-issue with the new models?
post #62 of 3592
Actually, #1 should do it all. Once Sammy has some serious competition they'll have no choice but to address the weak points in their current sets if they want to maintain (or at least not lose too much) market share.

Quote:
Originally posted by Minge
HTWAITS:

1. Killer competition from other companies.
2. Better detail in dark scenes and better "contrast/depth" in bright scenes -- as advertised.
3. No hint of audio/video sync problems -- as advertised.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The order I would like to see this addressed is in reverse!! The model I was looking at the sync problem was really unacceptable!! Is this going to be a non-issue with the new models?
post #63 of 3592
Quote:
Originally posted by TH3_FRB
Actually, #1 should do it all. Once Sammy has some serious competition they'll have no choice but to address the weak points in their current sets if they want to maintain (or at least not lose too much) market share.
OK that is fair, who is making a serious push to take the next step in the DLP world aside from Samsung?

Is Sony going to enter this market?
post #64 of 3592
My take on current HLP Powerbuy..............

#1. Most posts here have NOTHING to do with Powerbuy:p

#2. Not nearly enough info supplied with pricing..........

3. If you want Ext. Warranty, must take supplied stand??????????????

4. Tech Craft makes many stands, most are ugly and not very functional.

5. Need more and more info..........

6. Beware here......... (Threshold Shipping) No freight companies carry a do
lly or have a power lift. If you are not there to meet truck>>>> OOPS

7. Pricing should have been based on customer needs and not on a
bundle. Bundle price seems high??

8. More info on display etc............


9. Just my .02 cents, at least it's about the upcoming powerbuy.
post #65 of 3592
Quote:
Originally posted by samandbrady
My take on current HLP Powerbuy..............

1. Most posts here have NOTHING to do with Powerbuy:p

--True

2. Not nearly enough info supplied with pricing..........
8. More info on display etc............
5. Need more and more info..........

--Anything specific you want addressed?

3. If you want Ext. Warranty, must take supplied stand??????????????
4. Tech Craft makes many stands, most are ugly and not very functional.

--You do not have to get the stand.

6. Beware here......... (Threshold Shipping) No freight companies carry a dolly or have a power lift. If you are not there to meet truck>>>> OOPS
--This is why they call you to confirm delivery date/address.

7. Pricing should have been based on customer needs and not on a
bundle. Bundle price seems high??

--True, but you don't have to get the bundle.

9. Just my .02 cents, at least it's about the upcoming powerbuy.
post #66 of 3592
What other information do you want?

You can add the extended warranty without the stand if you want.

If you don't like the Tech Craft stand don't get it.

There is no need for a dolly when we're talking ~100lbs...but I don't understand why there should be any "beware" associated with the delivery anyway. They will contact you to arrange a delivery date and carry the box to your door...as opposed to curbside delivery.

Exactly what customer needs are you talking about? This is a PowerBuy for a TV...extras are just that...EXTRA. You're welcome to get your stand, DVD player, extended warranty, and whatever else you need anywhere you want. You can't expect Neil to put together individually personalized bundles for everyone interested.


Quote:
Originally posted by samandbrady
My take on current HLP Powerbuy..............

#1. Most posts here have NOTHING to do with Powerbuy:p

#2. Not nearly enough info supplied with pricing..........

3. If you want Ext. Warranty, must take supplied stand??????????????

4. Tech Craft makes many stands, most are ugly and not very functional.

5. Need more and more info..........

6. Beware here......... (Threshold Shipping) No freight companies carry a do
lly or have a power lift. If you are not there to meet truck>>>> OOPS

7. Pricing should have been based on customer needs and not on a
bundle. Bundle price seems high??

8. More info on display etc............


9. Just my .02 cents, at least it's about the upcoming powerbuy.
post #67 of 3592
That's the question...where will the killer competition come from? Well, at least there will be several companies out ther with DLP sets on the floor...better than we've had up till now. BTW...I wouldn't consider improved contrast and eliminating lip sync issues to be the "next step". They seem like basic fundamental flaws to me and I would expect them to be resolved as soon as there are a few other brands in the market place. In the lat couple years we (consumers) haven't had a choice...if you want DLP you buy a Sammy and accept the issues. in the next few months that won't be the case any longer.

Quote:
Originally posted by Minge
OK that is fair, who is making a serious push to take the next step in the DLP world aside from Samsung?

Is Sony going to enter this market?
post #68 of 3592
Quote:
Originally posted by TH3_FRB
That's the question...where will the killer competition come from? Well, at least there will be several companies out ther with DLP sets on the floor...better than we've had up till now. BTW...I wouldn't consider improved contrast and eliminating lip sync issues to be the "next step". They seem like basic fundamental flaws to me and I would expect them to be resolved as soon as there are a few other brands in the market place. In the lat couple years we (consumers) haven't had a choice...if you want DLP you buy a Sammy and accept the issues. in the next few months that won't be the case any longer.
Who will be the others to watch?
post #69 of 3592
Well, we have RCA (who has some very nice features in their sets including cable card, integrated tuners, Ethernet with Microsoft Win CE operating system and web browser), Optoma, LG, Zeinith, Panasonic, Toshiba, and InFocus...Sony seems happy to stick with LCD for now. I think we have to wait ans see for ourselves which of these sets will compete with Sammy in the PQ department.
post #70 of 3592
Quote:
Originally posted by TH3_FRB
Well, we have RCA (who has some very nice features in their sets including cable card, integrated tuners, Ethernet with Microsoft Win CE operating system and web browser), Optoma, LG, Zeinith, Panasonic, Toshiba, and InFocus...Sony seems happy to stick with LCD for now. I think we have to wait ans see for ourselves which of these sets will compete with Sammy in the PQ department.
There are also DLP sets from Sim2, Gateway, Loewe, Mitsubishi, and at least one other OEM using the same source that Gateway uses.

The reports I've read about the RCA Ethernet feature are that it's not very useful and will perform a Microsoft hard crash on your system at regular intervals. Also, the RCA is the only DLP that can not accept it's native resolution through component or DVI inputs. It may also be the only DLP that does not provide the controls that will allow an ISF calibration to be done.

Maybe the new RCA DLP sets will overcome all these issues. So far as I know, RCA has had nothing to say about them.

All my three wishes are for issues that should be resolved in models being released this summer. I didn't really intend to rank them because if any of the three are not fulfilled I might be waiting forever.
post #71 of 3592
post #72 of 3592
Sound very nice...too bad the integrated tuner models aren't planned to ship till Sept/Oct.

Quote:
Originally posted by S1DIMMER
Toshiba details:

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/news/new...asp?newsid=144
post #73 of 3592
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by S1DIMMER
Toshiba details:

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/news/ne....asp?newsid=144
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You would think this would push Samsung to release its units faster. I called Samsung yesterday - they have no clue when the 46" and 56" HLP's are coming (the guy I spoke with said later this month, and I know that's not right). Anyway, this competition can do nothing but benefit the consumer (and the retailer - they want these things in stock to be able to sell!)
post #74 of 3592
Doesn't it seem like Toshiba and Mits are pricing kind of high? Wouldn't they have to price about the same as Samsung in order to create some price competition.
post #75 of 3592
Does anyone have an e-mail address or other contact info for Neil? He asked me to PM him on Saturday to discuss some things further and he hasn't logged on to the board since Sunday.

How can he set off fireworks by posting this powerbuy and then disappear for 3 days?:confused:

Neil, if you're out there, I really appreciate you putting this power buy together, but you are really dropping the ball as far as customer service goes. I would have come by the store to chat, but it says "By Appointment Only" on the web-site.:(



P.S. This is the ">>> Official Samsung HLP Power Buy Details <<<" thread, not "Which DLP is the best" or "Sammy sets suck. XYXY set(that I've never even seen) is going to rock", so please try to stay on topic so that those of us who are interested in Power Buy Details don't miss important Details. Thanks!
post #76 of 3592
Quote:
Originally posted by S1DIMMER
Doesn't it seem like Toshiba and Mits are pricing kind of high? Wouldn't they have to price about the same as Samsung in order to create some price competition.
I thought they were pretty close to what we've seen as estimates for the 74/77 series.
post #77 of 3592
Quote:
Originally posted by seaeye
P.S. This is the ">>> Official Samsung HLP Power Buy Details <<<" thread, not "Which DLP is the best" or "Sammy sets suck. XYXY set(that I've never even seen) is going to rock", so please try to stay on topic so that those of us who are interested in Power Buy Details don't miss important Details. Thanks!
Bravo.:)

I'm most likely going to go with the Powerbuy despite living in CA and having to fork over the tax. At least I'm within a 3-hour drive of the vendor should I ever need to be...
post #78 of 3592
Quote:
Originally posted by tjk
I called Samsung yesterday - they have no clue when the 46" and 56" HLP's are coming (the guy I spoke with said later this month, and I know that's not right).
Did you make it clear which 46"/56" models you were asking about? The HLPxx63 versions may start shipping sometime in June. The HLPxx77 versions probably won't.
post #79 of 3592
Quote:
Originally posted by htwaits
Did you make it clear which 46"/56" models you were asking about? The HLPxx63 versions may start shipping sometime in June. The HLPxx77 versions probably won't.
Sorry - I didn't make clear that I specifically asked about the 77 series. He basically read to me from the same brochure that's been posted on avs for the last four months, and concluded that, after speaking with a product expert, the 77's would ship in a month (since the brochure noted that the 63's were due to ship in April and they were delayed a month or two, the 77's, due to ship in May, would have the same delay). I don't understand why it's so difficult for a company to determine when its own product will be ready.

Also, I find it annoying that they can't provide any drawings/3D views of the new sets. There's a great technical drawing of the HLN467 on the Samsung website, which gives very detailed measurements. I assume that the HLP's will have the same shape, but it would be nice to be able to have Samsung confirm that. Most of us have center channels, and I strongly prefer to have it sit on top of the TV, which is why the 77's appeal to me the most. I guess I'm just impatient more than anything.:)

I do find the Toshiba news encouraging. If they hold to their delivery schedule, Samsung will have to step up its customer service, production, and pricing to avoid losing market share. Toshiba looks like they'll have a set at every size and price point that Samsung has.
post #80 of 3592
The deals sound great. I have a couple questions, not having participated in any powerbuys previous.

1) When will the 50" ship to those placing orders? Estimate?
2) Does the warranty include in-home service? By whom?
3) Replacement policy for a lemon set?

I'm especially interested since I just bought (and I mean 2 hours ago) an 5065 from Best Buy. I was happy with the price I paid but the powerbuy is 100 less.

The TV is being delivered tomorrow so I have 30 days to decide what I'm going to do. The TV is coming from the warehouse so I'm not sure if it'll be a W1 or not (obviously I'd prefer the W1, but they can guarantee it).

I typically buy my consumer electronics via mail-order, but never anything this big/expensive. I'm most concerned about repairs & returns and how they work in this case.

I'm somewhat in a bind since I have a dead 40" Mitsu tube sitting in my living room right now, but if I can milk the 5065 for 30 days and know I can get the new 50", via this deal, in that time I may go that route.

Thanks in advance!
post #81 of 3592
Quote:
Originally posted by S1DIMMER
Doesn't it seem like Toshiba and Mits are pricing kind of high? Wouldn't they have to price about the same as Samsung in order to create some price competition.
But who knows what the discount/street prices will be on them?

Or how the prices might react once all of these models hit the stores for a couple of months?
post #82 of 3592
Quote:
Originally posted by tjk
Toshiba looks like they'll have a set at every size and price point that Samsung has.
I didn't see any 56" Toshiba sets. Are there any?
post #83 of 3592
Quote:
Originally posted by RMSko
I didn't see any 56" Toshiba sets. Are there any?
I've seen 46", 52" and 62" announcements only.
post #84 of 3592
I think the website said if we want to return it we must pay for shipping. for a 90 lb box the lowest shipping cost would be 90 bucks. Does this sound about right for Michigan to TVauthority
post #85 of 3592
It's not going to be the weight that's as much a factor in return shipping as the carton dimensions. They dim to about double the weight, which is what most carriers will charge you. For instance, the 61" is too large dimensionally for both UPS and FedEX to carry (well, FedEx will take it for $650 from Illinois to CA).
post #86 of 3592
better get a good set on the first try then......:eek:
post #87 of 3592
I got in on the first HLM powerbuy with TV AUthority and just want everyone to know that Neil and his company run a great operation. He delivered the set at a phenomenal price and also gave me an incredible deal on a ts160 dtv tuner as well. I have no doubt he'll come thru on the discounts on the hd941s and the new capt kirk models once they're available.

A few caveats. This is a preorder, hence, i would expect heavy delays. Take the June/July date and realistically expect it closer to end of July/August. The HLM pbuy was seriously delayed, not by TVAuth, but by Samsung. Neil quoted much higher numbers of hlp sets to ship vs the original hlm sets, but i would still push back his best estimates by a few wks.

K
post #88 of 3592
Quote:
Originally posted by Quill
Neil:

From what I have read, both the manufacturer's warranty AND the extended warranty are both not valid in Canada.

Can you please confirm this? If it is the case, it may be a good idea to edit the first PB post to reflect that... Thanks!
I would like to think someone somewhere up North has a extended warrenty available that can be purchased as a 'add-on' separately from the product as one would purchase insurance for a car or house.

I think TVA would be smart to look into warrenty plans for Canada since I beleive there would be enough of a market there to warrent it (no pun intended).
Being a neighbor of Canada (I can ride there on a bike in 20 minutes) they don't have as many outlets and options as we take for granted AND there are more remote areas that lack many of the national retailers that we have here.

As far as return shipping, that is without a doubt the BIGGEST issue I can see with mail ordering a item this size since UPS and FedEx are out of the question! I doubt $90 would get it very far either.
post #89 of 3592
You can find most of what you're looking for by reading the original post and TVAuthority web site.

1) I believe the ETA is about 4-6 weeks but TVA will keep everyone updated via email on the status of their order.

2) The first year of warranty is provided by Samsung...parts and labor in-home service (http://www.samsungusa.com/cgi-bin/na...and+Video%2fTV). The extended warranty is through RepairMaster and includes in-home service. Details are here: http://www.tvauthority.com/warranties.asp

3) Sammy DLP sets are included in the TVA 5-Star Program: http://www.tvauthority.com/5starprogram.asp

You'll have to cover shipping if you decide to return the unit, unless it's DOA in which case I'd expect TVA to take care of it.

If I were you, I'd keep the HLN for a few weeks and then turn it back in for an HLP from the PowerBuy...better set and cheaper too. I'm currently without a large TV myself (the 40XBR800 is in storage awaiting repair/replacement). so I know how it is to have a gig empty space where your TV should be. I'll probably go down to Rent-A-Center and pick up a 46" widescreen for a couple months while I wait for the 77 series to become available.

Quote:
Originally posted by ahartman
The deals sound great. I have a couple questions, not having participated in any powerbuys previous.

1) When will the 50" ship to those placing orders? Estimate?
2) Does the warranty include in-home service? By whom?
3) Replacement policy for a lemon set?

I'm especially interested since I just bought (and I mean 2 hours ago) an 5065 from Best Buy. I was happy with the price I paid but the powerbuy is 100 less.

The TV is being delivered tomorrow so I have 30 days to decide what I'm going to do. The TV is coming from the warehouse so I'm not sure if it'll be a W1 or not (obviously I'd prefer the W1, but they can guarantee it).

I typically buy my consumer electronics via mail-order, but never anything this big/expensive. I'm most concerned about repairs & returns and how they work in this case.

I'm somewhat in a bind since I have a dead 40" Mitsu tube sitting in my living room right now, but if I can milk the 5065 for 30 days and know I can get the new 50", via this deal, in that time I may go that route.

Thanks in advance!
post #90 of 3592
Argh, the agony of buying a new tv.

I remember when I would go into a store and go... that one. put it in the car. Now, I go online and am like ooh ooh ooh, then the next day i see something else. I just got the panny 60" LCD through the costco deal, but unlike everyone else in the family, I see some type of pixelation and color uniformity. I have always like the dlp's but am worried about the rainbows and am not very familiar with the new gen in this powerbuy. I am thinking about taking the plunge, but am worried about getting a lemon as well. I guess I would need to know the shipping cost from Michigan. As stated earlier it is by box size, what is the box size? ARgh what to do what to do, I feel like Homer!!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Official Samsung HLP Power Buy Details