or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays › The Official Kd-34xbr960 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Kd-34xbr960 Thread - Page 254

post #7591 of 8134
Hello, all. I've wanted one of these sets for several years, based on this thread (most of which I've read--yow) and the many glowing reviews online. I finally obtained one about a month ago via Craig's List in Eugene, Oregon. Having always been a patron of excellence, or one who aspired to same, I am very, very happy. The viewing experience is at least as fine as what I view on a Panasonic plasma, the TC-P65S1, purchased in 2009, not a great TV but quite a good one. I think the 960's performance is probably superior in some ways. I now watch it almost exclusively.

This Sony with the SFP pic tube truly is the Cadillac of TVs still, in more ways than one: they are excellent of their kind, constructed of (mostly) high end components and parts, are wonderful to behold and operate, have a jillion bells and whistles, and have a resale value that is bad for people who want to sell them, great for others who want to buy them. They're practically giving them away.

I can't say that I'm blown away or that it's like looking out a window, but I am very impressed. The XBR960 is truly a splendid TV, a classic, with superb...nearly everything.

The geometry issues can be annoying for one, such as myself, who is anal retentive about such things. It obviously has never had a magnet job and the downward (or upward) bowing of some straight lines (yes, primarily horizontal) is a little irritating but not what I would describe as atrocious. And it has the usual slight convergence issues on the bottom and top edges mostly, primarily evident in the infamous upper right hand corner. Probably wouldn't even be noticeable if I weren't used to watching a plasma with its perfect geometry and convergence. The audio, while not great by any means, is pretty good for a TV, greatly enhanced by the supplementation of a subwoofer, plugged into one of the audio outs in the back of the set.

Otherwise, my new (to me) XBR960 is a diamond, living up to its extensive adulation and legendary status. The resolution, color, blacks, pictorial "depth" (for lack of a better term), clarity, overall impact--it's all superb, stunning, as reported, even on the better SD channels. Best $100 bucks I ever spent.

I've fiddled around in the service menu as much as I've dared and have managed to improve some things, especially the overscan problem.

Thanks, you guys, for all the great tips, hints, commentary, et al of many years running now. Special thanks to DSperber, KenTech and Joseph D. for their knowledge and enthusiasm. I've joined the party very late but I certainly am enjoying it.

Manufactured in May 2005, by the way. It's held up wonderfully well.biggrin.gif
post #7592 of 8134
To clarify, you can feed a 16:9 image off a 480 signal.
You can even record it on a vcr.

I think he's talking about processing delays.
The 960 does some processing, I think.
Some can be turned off.
I don't know about all.
post #7593 of 8134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Dubin View Post

My 960 will turn seven years old next month and I still wouldn't trade it for anything else out there today.
Not a knock on today's flat screens - just that despite the now too many screen areas where the coating came off (not noticeable with normal daylight or low indoor lighting) I am still amazed at the unmatched vivid detail this set has to offer.
BTW - still unplug the 960 one a month for about ten minutes for the degauser to fully do it's job.
..... also, just want to keep this forum going. smile.gif

Congrats. Mine turned 7 this year as well smile.gif I feel your pain about the coating. I wish I would have complained a little more and traded for the 960N model wink.gif Nevertheless, still enjoying this tv. but I may be moving it downstairs this fall to be replaced by a Kuro 500M.
post #7594 of 8134
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX-1138 View Post

To clarify, you can feed a 16:9 image off a 480 signal.
You can even record it on a vcr.
I don't agree.

A 16:9 image can be letterboxed into a 4:3 area (black bars on top and bottom from letterbox, black bars on left and right from OAR) producing a "postage stamp" appearance. So if you record a letterboxed 16:9 program onto a standard 480i VCR via any 480i-only analog connection (e.g. coax, composite, S-video) you will get a letterboxed result when you play it back. Yes, the actual letterboxed visible image is 16:9 aspect ratio, but it can only be within a 4:3 image area because of the nature of 480i 4:3.

So if you then play back that analog 480i recording onto a TV (also via coax, composite or S-Video) the presention will be letterboxed 4:3 if the TV is a 4:3 set. If the set is a 16:9 screen then it will appear postage stamp (i.e. both letterboxed 4:3 within a centered 4:3 image area that has black bars on left and right).

We're probably talking semantics here, but just because you see a 16:9 rectangular and letterboxed image impressed onto a 4:3 image area on some screen (4:3 or 16:9) doesn't mean you're really seeing a 16:9 image. You're actually seeing a 4:3 image, whose inner content happens to be a letterboxed 16:9 original image that's been re-sized such that there are black bars on top and bottom so that the full width of the 4:3 image area is used for the longer edges of the 16:9 content inside.

The fact that you can record a 16:9 channel on a 4:3 480i VCR, fed out over an analog cable (coax, composite, or S-video) doesn't mean you've recorded a 16:9 image. You've recorded a 4:3 image whose content contains a letterboxed 16:9 original image.

Of course you can always ZOOM something up (if your TV or source playback device supports it) to fill most or all of the 16:9 screen at playback time, and it may or may not look correct, but the original source on the 4:3 480i VCR can be nothing other than 4:3 480i in true content... no matter what is actually inside of that "near-square".
post #7595 of 8134
No, I mean what I said.

I do it all the time.
Records in compressed 4:3, dispays in 16:9, same as the transmission.
If you can display it, you can record it.

Letterbox records as 4:3 letterbox, plays the same.
post #7596 of 8134
I have a Panasonic version of one of these and I record (VCR) from a converter box in 16:9 mode and the Panny displays it 16:9 using its Full mode. Compression and decompression.

I can also use the converter's letterbox mode with the Panny's Auto mode (I think it shifts into Wide mode under Auto) but it's not as perfect a fit. I've also noticed some weird horizontal mini gaps in lettering (ex: weather channel temps).
post #7597 of 8134
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX-1138 View Post

Records in compressed 4:3, displays in 16:9,
Obviously impossible. A non-DVHS VCR is a 4:3 480i device, and composite/S-video can only deliver 480i. The delivered output from a DVR via composite/S-video is 4:3... even if inside of it is a 16:9 image that's been letterboxed into that 4:3 area.

I'm certain your TV has ZOOM on, so that the letterboxed 4:3 (which is actually 16:9 in aspect ratio) playback is being enlarged by your TV's ZOOM, to fill the 16:9 screen with the postage stamp letterboxed 4:3 recording. The black bars on left/right and top/bottom are simply "Zoom'ed out", but the VCR recording itself must be letterboxed 4:3, since 4:3 images is all that a non-DVHS VCR can record.

Quote:
If you can display it, you can record it. Letterbox records as 4:3 letterbox, plays the same.
You can tune to a 720p/1080i HD channel where 16:9 content will display as full-screen 16:9 on a 16:9 HDTV. But if that channel is recorded on a VCR via the composite/S-video cable from the source device, it MUST be (a) downconverted 480i resolution, and (b) letterboxed 4:3 if your device provides that option, or "horizontally squooshed" which is a horrible choice, or 4:3 centercut fullscreen which lops off the right and left "wings" to present the 4:3 "heart" of the 16:9 image but will fill a 4:3 screen completely.

A standard non-DVHS VCR cannot record a true 16:9 image. It is designed to record a 4:3 image.

If what I'm saying is factually wrong, can you point me to some online document or specification for your VCR so that I can read it for myself.
post #7598 of 8134
Of course it's 480i.
That has nothing to do with it.


It works on dvd, vhs, svhs.
It's all transmitted the same.
If it's for a 16:9 display, you are giving up a lot of resolution by recording letterboxed.
Stupid to do for playback on 16:9, though acceptable.
Most things look okay compressed on a 4:3 too, unless it's closeups of faces.

Can you see it on a 4:3 display?
Then you can record it on a vcr.
Feed the same signal to a 16:9 and it's wide.

I have recorded a 1080i signal to a vcr.
That works too, but of course, only records to 400 lines.
Not hidef.

It's the same signal being sent out.
That's why people can use their old 4:3 sets, and you have the display options.
post #7599 of 8134
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX-1138 View Post

Can you see it on a 4:3 display?
Then you can record it on a vcr.
Feed the same signal to a 16:9 and it's wide.
No it's not. Your TV is ZOOM'ing the 4:3 image up to 16:9 for presentation because you've got your 960 set to some ZOOM mode.

If you set the 960's ZOOM control back to "full screen" while feeding it through INPUT1-4 (which are the composite/S-video 480i inputs, which is what I assume you're using for playback from your VCR to the 960) then it will not fill the screen. It will be centered 4:3 image in the 16:9 screen, with black bars on left and right, because that's what a VCR records and plays back... a 4:3 image. Not a 16:9 image.

Full-screen 4:3 (which uses all of the height and width of that 4:3 area), or letterboxed 4:3 (which has black bars on top and bottom but uses the full width of the 4:3 area)... there will be black bars on left and right of the 4:3 image area when presented on a non-ZOOM'ed 16:9 screen.

Quote:
I have recorded a 1080i signal to a vcr.
No you haven't.

You've recorded a 16:9 HD 1080i channel playing on your DVR, which has been down-converted to 480i letterboxed 4:3 (so that you could see the entire 16:9 image which is how it showed on the 16:9 HD 1080i channel when watched via component/DVI/HDMI on an HDTV) for output over composite/S-video. The VCR recorded that down-converted 480i letterboxed 4:3 signal as 480i 4:3.

Quote:
That works too, but of course, only records to 400 lines.
Well technically it was 480 lines coming from the DVR to the VCR, although the old VHS VCR's didn't even have that much resolution. So 400 lines may be what SVHS recorded at.

Quote:
It's the same signal being sent out.
No it's not the 1080i 16:9 program signal that went from cable company to your DVR and then to your HDTV.

It's been downconverted by the DVR to 480i and also letterboxed by the DVR into a 4:3 frame, in order to deliver it out over the composite/S-video cable output for recording by your VCR.

Quote:
That's why people can use their old 4:3 sets, and you have the display options.
Yes... the VCR plays can back that letterboxed 4:3 recorded image onto a 4:3 screen via composite/S-video from VCR to the TV. This uses the full width of the 4:3 screen but shows black bars on top and bottom. Send the same signal to a 16:9 TV and it will appear postage stamp, with black bars on left and right of the centered 4:3 image. Zoom that content using the TV's ZOOM and you can blow up that postage stamp in the center to fill the 16:9 screen.

But it's still letterboxed 4:3 delivered at 480i from DVR to the VCR for recording. It's not 16:9, and it's not 1080i, which got recorded.
post #7600 of 8134
I don't have a dvr.
I don't use cable or satellite.
I use bunny ears and netflix.

I can tell the difference between letterbox and full screen anamorphic.

I have only used component feed for my 34", but it makes no difference on my HS 4:3 sony, all inputs display the same.
To be clear, I have not used a vcr with my 960, only dvd.
I use an XBR-34800 for svhs and vhs.

Do you think the 960 has some automatic flagging that prevents it showing the native display from a vcr?
I have heard of some similar issues with a a digital tuner pana, but those can be bypassed.
I routinely use my pana to play tapes in 16:9, or letterboxed.
Either work, of course.
I never touch the sizing on the tv, unless I want to zoom a letterboxed image.

I really don't understand what you're having difficulty with.
post #7601 of 8134
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX-1138 View Post

I don't have a dvr.
I don't use cable or satellite.
I use bunny ears and netflix.
I can tell the difference between letterbox and full screen anamorphic.
I have only used component feed for my 34", but it makes no difference on my HS 4:3 sony, all inputs display the same.
To be clear, I have not used a vcr with my 960, only dvd.
I use an XBR-34800 for svhs and vhs.
I don't want to distract from the topic of this thread, but we need to start over. You need to enumerate exactly what equipment you have, manufacturer and model. I thought you had cable, but you don't. I thought you had a VCR, but you don't.

So what are you "recording 1080i" on?? A recordable DVD burner/player? And since you don't have cable but only a rabbit ear antenna, you must be recording directly off of the air local network channels... to what must be a recordable DVD burner/player (Panasonic?).

The new recordable DVD burner/player devices are worlds different from the old VCRs. They are capable of recording 16:9, whereas VCR's only recorded 4:3.

Therefore everything I've been describing as it relates to a VCR and cable company DVR delivering 480i 4:3 content over composite/S-video to a VCR for recording is apparently unrelated to your actual equipment which doesn't include a VCR as I thought you were describing. What I've been saying is certainly true and correct... if entirely inapplicable to what your setup actually consists of.
post #7602 of 8134
I am only referring to vcr use.
I have numerous decks in mostly svhs.

I mentioned recording from a 1080i source to demonstrate that even that signal makes no difference.
As I said, it records in 480i.
It displays exactly the same as the 1080i signal direct, or a lodef tuner.
My hidef outboard tuners are LG.
I mostly use TRT lodef tuners.

None of it makes any difference.
They record what is fed to them.

Most of the JVC vcrs have only S-video out.
Component on some panas.
post #7603 of 8134
Sounds like the converter box mode they call 16:9, squeezed, etc. The 'overall' image is 4:3 as that's all they're capable of but the 16:9 is compressed so that it works with a widescreen TV (i.e. not all had DTV tuners so I guess the gov't covered all bases in the requirements). I despised that mode and didn't understand the use of it until I got a widescreen TV - lol.

Were there VCRs with component output? (if so, SVHS I presume).
post #7604 of 8134
Same output from my hidef tuners.

Mostly svhs, but my combo panas are just vhs.

I have a few pana svhs separates.
I'll have to check those.
post #7605 of 8134
Can't edit.

There are some higher end vhs editing decks with component.
post #7606 of 8134
Quote:
Originally Posted by swing1951 View Post

Hello, all. I've wanted one of these sets for several years, based on this thread (most of which I've read--yow) and the many glowing reviews online. I finally obtained one about a month ago via Craig's List in Eugene, Oregon. Having always been a patron of excellence, or one who aspired to same, I am very, very happy. The viewing experience is at least as fine as what I view on a Panasonic plasma, the TC-P65S1, purchased in 2009, not a great TV but quite a good one. I think the 960's performance is probably superior in some ways. I now watch it almost exclusively.
This Sony with the SFP pic tube truly is the Cadillac of TVs still, in more ways than one: they are excellent of their kind, constructed of (mostly) high end components and parts, are wonderful to behold and operate, have a jillion bells and whistles, and have a resale value that is bad for people who want to sell them, great for others who want to buy them. They're practically giving them away.
I can't say that I'm blown away or that it's like looking out a window, but I am very impressed. The XBR960 is truly a splendid TV, a classic, with superb...nearly everything.
The geometry issues can be annoying for one, such as myself, who is anal retentive about such things. It obviously has never had a magnet job and the downward (or upward) bowing of some straight lines (yes, primarily horizontal) is a little irritating but not what I would describe as atrocious. And it has the usual slight convergence issues on the bottom and top edges mostly, primarily evident in the infamous upper right hand corner. Probably wouldn't even be noticeable if I weren't used to watching a plasma with its perfect geometry and convergence. The audio, while not great by any means, is pretty good for a TV, greatly enhanced by the supplementation of a subwoofer, plugged into one of the audio outs in the back of the set.
Otherwise, my new (to me) XBR960 is a diamond, living up to its extensive adulation and legendary status. The resolution, color, blacks, pictorial "depth" (for lack of a better term), clarity, overall impact--it's all superb, stunning, as reported, even on the better SD channels. Best $100 bucks I ever spent.
I've fiddled around in the service menu as much as I've dared and have managed to improve some things, especially the overscan problem.
Thanks, you guys, for all the great tips, hints, commentary, et al of many years running now. Special thanks to DSperber, KenTech and Joseph D. for their knowledge and enthusiasm. I've joined the party very late but I certainly am enjoying it.
Manufactured in May 2005, by the way. It's held up wonderfully well.biggrin.gif

Hi Swing,

Congratulations on your new seven year old 960.

Truly appreciate all the words you had to say about it because you are a new owner and can be a bit more objective than us older ones who no doubt have already built up an emotional bias!
post #7607 of 8134
hey guys i recently bought one of these off craigslist for gaming, i disabled hdpt in the service menu to get rid of input lag for xbox 360. while the input lag went away, a couple new problems arose. when im playing with hdpt off, the camera seems two far to the right - part of the left end of the screen is chopped off. theres also a vertical scan bar that moves slowly across the screen constantly, i can see thru it of course but its still annoying. also the picture seems to fluncuate when motion occurs onscreen, the brightness or contrast seems to flicker. its hard to explain but anyway thats the situation im in. anyone have any tips as to how to get rid of these quirks?

edit: i managed to get the picture position right. but i still need help with the flunctuating picture and the scrolling bar.
Edited by jameslieb1 - 7/16/12 at 8:39pm
post #7608 of 8134
Thank you, Joseph, for the cordial welcome to this Johnny-come-lately. Wotta TV. I'm enjoying it so much after getting hung up in the service menu for the first few weeks, adjusting, tweaking, fiddling, fiddling, fiddling. I finally quit worrying about the geometry and convergence and just began thoroughly enjoying this marvelous instrument, doubtless the best consumer CRT ever made. EVER.

The image is, as you observed, very film-like with saturated color (but not too much so) with great clarity (whatever the correct tech term might be)--very crisp yet smooth as can be. One can sit a foot away and the resolution is astounding. Even on the SD channels (via Comcast) the quality is exceptional--that DRC thing, I guess, among other enhancements, blowing most skinny TVs, LCD, LED, plasma, out of the water. I am entranced, spend entirely too much time in front of the XBR960 in my bedroom.

Don't be afraid to remove that nasty and unnecessary anti-glare screen. After about a week of putting up with a badly smudged, worn and scratched surface (actually not noticeable whilst the TV was playing but very apparent when the set was turned off, bugging me in any case 'cause I knew it was there), I peeled the damn thing off. I must confess that I performed the alteration in a half-a--ed manner that would not be approved by purists-- X-acto knife, slicing it up, down, across and around and then peeling it off in portions, finally removing the remaining glue from the glass with Windex, paper towels and a lotta elbow grease. Forgive me. But I took the back off (about 98 screws), gazed upon the innards and determined that there was no way in heck that I was going to further disassemble this monster and/or risk electrocution. The numerous potential disastrous complications were too daunting for me. I screwed the cover back on and proceeded with the X-acto blade method,

For me there was no impairment or degradation of the image whatsoever, just the opposite, in fact. What I view, as the result of the removal of that anti-glare screen, a layer of smeary, smudgy fog, is pristinely clear, vibrant, beautiful, with no loss of black level and not overwhelming brightness. It definitely looks better (and it was fine before). And the glass surface of the SFP tube is immaculate, like new. I honestly don't think it needs to be recalibrated.

So, if one can stand the idea of removing the AG screen in a somewhat Mickey Mouse manner, go for it. I'm very happy I did.

Have a good one.

Edited by swing1951 - 7/29/12 at 12:21pm
post #7609 of 8134
Long ago I worked for a car window tinter and I think he used Pinesol to get the glue off (plus razor blade).
post #7610 of 8134
Hi Swing,

Glad you're loving it and thanks for the tip about the coating. I would never attempt to do anything near what you did or use anything that could actually cause a scratch - I just wish I knew what I did to get those smudges in the first place so I can simply continue repeating my mistakes! biggrin.gif

If any technician is monitoring this conversation, would appreciate what steps a layman can take to safely get the coating off - if there is any.

Joe
post #7611 of 8134
I saw it on AVS somewhere, very possibly this thread although there are some other similar Sony models/threads. Pics and everything. Try an intra-AVS search.
post #7612 of 8134
Can anyone tell me what changes need to be made to the service menu to disable ALL extra signal processing for component cables, 1080i? I play Xbox 360 on this TV but I notice some input lag. Help is very much appreciated.
post #7613 of 8134
If anyone wants it, I'm giving away my XBR960. I'm moving and cannot take it with me. All you have to do is come get it. I've had it calibrated by Chad. B. twice and I bought it new in 2006. I also removed the antiglare coating. PM me if interested. I'm not sure if it's appropriate to offer something like this on the board. Moderators please delete if not and/or advise me where on AVS it is appropriate (if it is appropriate anywhere).

Edit: TV is now taken and no longer available.
Edited by RWetmore - 9/26/12 at 4:12pm
post #7614 of 8134
I posted a picture of the rear panel some years ago. Search this thread for my name. You will find it.
post #7615 of 8134
Is there anyway to fix blemishes on the bezel? Got another one of these beauties, already removed the anti-reflective coating, but there are 2 marks on the top bezel. I would like to touch them up, if at all possible. They're not very deep, but about 1 inch across, looks like they were caused by rubbing on a dolly.
post #7616 of 8134
I just got another 960 today. My last model was some years ago but broke. From what I remember it had the best picture that I had seen. Im not sure what im seeing exactly on this set though. Maybe its called convergence. It looks like the images arent perfectly alligned and I see some blur over all the objects. Im using it for gaming. Can this be fixed in the service menus? Ive never done this before so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

This tv also wont accept my ps3 over hdmi for some reason. The model i had of this tv in the past did accept hdmi on the ps3. The hdmi works on the 360 however.

Also I noticed that the image is cut off in places. Part of the top , right and bottom seem to be cut off. These are the main issues so far. Im hoping they can be resolved. The tv has been idle for years so maybe thats it.
post #7617 of 8134
Quote:
Im not sure what im seeing exactly on this set though. Maybe its called convergence. It looks like the images arent perfectly alligned and I see some blur over all the objects. Im using it for gaming. Can this be fixed in the service menus? Ive never done this before so any tips would be greatly appreciated.
The best tip is to understand things as well as possible and not blunder in and wreck the TV. It's important in the service menu to write down the original settings before changing anything and never do a "factory reset".

There should be alot of information in the service codes thread about focus, landing and convergence and in this one too
http://www.avsforum.com/t/531494/the-sony-service-codes-articles-comments-discoveries/
http://www.avsforum.com/t/408146/the-official-kd-34xbr960-thread/7000#post_18503346
As you can see it might be necessary to adjust the focus on the FBT. There is lethal voltage inside the TV so that isn't to be undertaken lightly.

The 960's service manual is here which should help you better understand the TV
http://www.schematicsforfree.com/archive/dir/Sony/Video
Quote:
This tv also wont accept my ps3 over hdmi for some reason. The model i had of this tv in the past did accept hdmi on the ps3. The hdmi works on the 360 however.
That's odd. Possibly there is some kind of compatibility issue going on which sometimes happens with early HDMI devices. Sometimes intermediation devices can solve that problem. Does the PS3 require HDCP over HDMI? I've heard of HDCP breaking on the HDMI card before but I don't think that's likely.

If you can use YPbPr, that will do. The Sony CRTs have no native support for HDMI as they just use an internal HDMI card to convert to analogue which is converted back to digital again. Plugging in through YPbPr analogue should give slightly better quality so long as no HDCP downscaling issues are present.
Quote:
Also I noticed that the image is cut off in places. Part of the top , right and bottom seem to be cut off. These are the main issues so far. Im hoping they can be resolved. The tv has been idle for years so maybe thats it.
That will be overscan. It is correctable in the service menu.

Removing the red push also makes a big difference to the picture
http://www.avsforum.com/t/531494/the-sony-service-codes-articles-comments-discoveries#post_5504091

If you can find a competent professional calibrator who really knows what they're doing with CRTs they could do all this for you and more. Most calibrators wouldn't know what to do with a 960, though.

Edit - what resolution do you have your PS3 set to? The Sony CRTs won't accept 1080p so try 720p and 1080i and see if that makes a difference. It should automatically detect the unavailability of 1080p but things can go wrong.

Edited by homerging - 9/28/12 at 11:43pm
post #7618 of 8134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Beast View Post

I just got another 960 today. My last model was some years ago but broke. From what I remember it had the best picture that I had seen. Im not sure what im seeing exactly on this set though. Maybe its called convergence. It looks like the images arent perfectly aligned and I see some blur over all the objects. Im using it for gaming. Can this be fixed in the service menus? Ive never done this before so any tips would be greatly appreciated.
As you surely know, with over 7600 posts in this thread there's lots that been discussed over the years about the 960. I, myself, have added my own comments many times, starting from my purchase of a brand new 960 in 2004.

Every set is different, because these are analog sets based around picture tubes... and magnets applied at the factory to those tubes, producing obviously individual and unique results in each one.

So trying to use somebody else's service/user menu settings isn't guaranteed to duplicate results, since the analog hardware itself is obviously going to be different in your case than it was in the other owner's case.

Your best bet is to try and read comments in this 960 thread, and comments in the other "Sony Service Menu Codes" thread, where effectively all the relevant and useful knowledge on the subject that's known to man has been concentrated. You will at least learn how to get into the service menu, and what items control what... although there are MANY.

What is important is that there is a specific collection of "most important" service menu items relating to color and convergence, and overscan and picture size, which is where most of us have spent time tweaking. And if you start with a "spreadsheet" of your current values (so that you can always go back to them if you don't like what you've produced with any tweaks you try), you'll be learning by experience... which is how most of us got into this.

If you look at this old thread of mine from a few years back, there is a spreadsheet ZIP file attached at the bottom, which shows MY settings on MY 960. But then I had a "magnet job" on the picture tube shortly after I got my set in 2004, because it was simply unacceptable as delivered from the factory (curvature, bowing, convergence problems, etc.). So my service menu values obviously are applied on top of the hardware "magnet job" for my unique set, and may well not really be usable for other 960's.

Nevertheless, you can at least use my spreadsheet and use it to enter your own values... just to get you started.
post #7619 of 8134
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerging View Post

The best tip is to understand things as well as possible and not blunder in and wreck the TV. It's important in the service menu to write down the original settings before changing anything and never do a "factory reset".
There should be alot of information in the service codes thread about focus, landing and convergence and in this one too
http://www.avsforum.com/t/531494/the-sony-service-codes-articles-comments-discoveries/
http://www.avsforum.com/t/408146/the-official-kd-34xbr960-thread/7000#post_18503346
As you can see it might be necessary to adjust the focus on the FBT. There is lethal voltage inside the TV so that isn't to be undertaken lightly.
The 960's service manual is here which should help you better understand the TV
http://www.schematicsforfree.com/archive/dir/Sony/Video
That's odd. Possibly there is some kind of compatibility issue going on which sometimes happens with early HDMI devices. Sometimes intermediation devices can solve that problem. Does the PS3 require HDCP over HDMI? I've heard of HDCP breaking on the HDMI card before but I don't think that's likely.
If you can use YPbPr, that will do. The Sony CRTs have no native support for HDMI as they just use an internal HDMI card to convert to analogue which is converted back to digital again. Plugging in through YPbPr analogue should give slightly better quality so long as no HDCP downscaling issues are present.
That will be overscan. It is correctable in the service menu.
Removing the red push also makes a big difference to the picture
http://www.avsforum.com/t/531494/the-sony-service-codes-articles-comments-discoveries#post_5504091
If you can find a competent professional calibrator who really knows what they're doing with CRTs they could do all this for you and more. Most calibrators wouldn't know what to do with a 960, though.

Edit - what resolution do you have your PS3 set to? The Sony CRTs won't accept 1080p so try 720p and 1080i and see if that makes a difference. It should automatically detect the unavailability of 1080p but things can go wrong.


Thank you for the very detailed information. Much appreciated. I figured out the HDMI issue i was having with the ps3. I just needed to set the ps3 to not accept 1080p. Having 1080p checked was causing no picture to be shown. So I changed the settings on my plasma first then plugged it into the crt and now it works.

Yes Ive checked Kens service menu thread and have it bookmarked. I am a picture quality freak but have no real technical knowledge. Aside from tweaking in the use menus Ive never used a service menu before. But I plan to attempt it soon and learn what I can.

Good info about the YBCR connectors. I didnt realise they would give a better picture. I assumed HDMI would be superior so I hooked both up to HDMI. I can pick up some component cables and try those.

I have a cheap ps2 component cable. Would that be good enough? Or should I get something higher quality and intended for ps3.

Thanks again
post #7620 of 8134
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

As you surely know, with over 7600 posts in this thread there's lots that been discussed over the years about the 960. I, myself, have added my own comments many times, starting from my purchase of a brand new 960 in 2004.
Every set is different, because these are analog sets based around picture tubes... and magnets applied at the factory to those tubes, producing obviously individual and unique results in each one.
So trying to use somebody else's service/user menu settings isn't guaranteed to duplicate results, since the analog hardware itself is obviously going to be different in your case than it was in the other owner's case.
Your best bet is to try and read comments in this 960 thread, and comments in the other "Sony Service Menu Codes" thread, where effectively all the relevant and useful knowledge on the subject that's known to man has been concentrated. You will at least learn how to get into the service menu, and what items control what... although there are MANY.
What is important is that there is a specific collection of "most important" service menu items relating to color and convergence, and overscan and picture size, which is where most of us have spent time tweaking. And if you start with a "spreadsheet" of your current values (so that you can always go back to them if you don't like what you've produced with any tweaks you try), you'll be learning by experience... which is how most of us got into this.
If you look at this old thread of mine from a few years back, there is a spreadsheet ZIP file attached at the bottom, which shows MY settings on MY 960. But then I had a "magnet job" on the picture tube shortly after I got my set in 2004, because it was simply unacceptable as delivered from the factory (curvature, bowing, convergence problems, etc.). So my service menu values obviously are applied on top of the hardware "magnet job" for my unique set, and may well not really be usable for other 960's.
Nevertheless, you can at least use my spreadsheet and use it to enter your own values... just to get you started.

Thanks alot. Its very interesting to see that you got one from the factory with blur and bowing, etc. I got mine used. The guy said it only has 6 hours use. I thought maybe from sitting around unused it degraded. Or maybe it was damaged. But it seems this is the norm for these tvs. I guess I got lucky with my first one. I only noticed these issues around some of the edges. Some blur and distortion. This one has it to varying degrees in all parts of the picture it seems. Also theres a red shadow that appears off certain images. Maybe thats the red push you mentioned.

maybe its not possible for these tvs to be as sharp as i thought. I do remember my old 960 blowing away plasma. The new gt panasonic plasma is quite good though. It just doesnt handle all content consistantly like a crt.

Thanks again for the help. I will check your sheet. Im in the process now of trying to learn before I mess around. Also my crt is currently on the floor and im looking down at it. I havent seen it at eye level yet. I need a table.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays › The Official Kd-34xbr960 Thread