Originally Posted by devilstaco
I'm interested in the R5000-HD for E* or D* and am not satisfied with the information on the nextcom website; I feel their info is a little lacking. I am hoping I can find the answers I'm looking for here. Here are my questions:
1. Is the R5000-HD a hardware modification to the STB? I think it must be but its not exactly clear on the website, as the "manual" only talks about software.
2. Can I send my 'leased' or 'rented' box to have the modification made, such that I can have it removed and no one is the wiser if/when I have to turn my box back in, or do I have to send in a box I own?
The modifications are permanent. You can send in a box you own, or you can purchase premodded box from Nextcom
3. Can anyone provide photos of what the hardware modification looks like (external STB images showing connections (USB, etc), and internal STB images showing hardware mods)?
Don't have available, but externally all you see is an additional USB plug.
4. How does the output exactly work? I understand it goes to the PC and is whipped up to MPG by the software, but what is output? Is it from the tuner currently being displayed by the STB, or on a second tuner (if a 2 tuner box)? Or either or both? I hope this is clear what I mean.
Each modded tuner outputs 1 program - has one tuner
5. Am I right in thinking the STB can only output to the pc 1 program at a time, even if it has multiple tuners, for example to Sage? Would a second 'tuner' in Sage require a second STB?
Not sure I understand your question exactly. But each box outputs 1 program. If you have 2 boxes, for instance, you can record 2 programs.
Thanks in advance for any replies.