or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Peoria, IL - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Peoria, IL - HDTV - Page 68

post #2011 of 2162
Quote:
Originally Posted by seean54 View Post
I have a question, does anyone know if Comcast started to encrypt the local HD Channels? I used to get them through my computer's tuner, and I checked today, and I don't get them anymore. I don't know when I stopped getting them, but I am curious if it is a problem for me or everyone has the same issue.

Thanks, Sean
They are still in the clear here. When was the last time you did a channel scan? When they move channels around, cable boxes adjust automatically but QAM tuners need to be rescanned.

Some PC tuners, like the Hauppauge HVR1600, tend to lock up at times, requiring pulling the power cord for a few minutes to restart the tuner.
post #2012 of 2162
I ran into the same problem w/ Comcast at 61615. I tried several times to do full scans on QAM and I could only pick up a 1 or 2 HD channels. I eventually gave up and plugged in a cheap antenna w/ a cable splitter for my 2 tuners. I'm surprised it works! I actually have 3 cables going out, 1 to my HDTV, and 2 to the Hauppauge 950q's.

Any ideas on what to try on Windows 7 Media Center? A full scan for new channels did nothing. Scanning on broadcast returned a lot more channels than on QAM, however most of them are such low signal they aren't usable. I did get all of my local's though.
post #2013 of 2162
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

When they move channels around, cable boxes adjust automatically but QAM tuners need to be rescanned.

The problem might also be a trap in the line - if you are an internet only OR limited basic sub, & you still have one of these traps, it's possible that CC might have moved those channels INTO the range of your trap.

If you are an internet-only sub, CC will NOT do anything about it - since you are NOT a TV sub! If you are a limited basic sub, you can try to get them out on a repair, as you ARE supposed to get them as part of your limited basic sub.

CC is not even using traps anymore as they hook up new subs, but they are NOT actively removing them on existing subs. There ARE ways to get rid of them, that I am NOT endorsing on this board...
post #2014 of 2162
I do have just basic cable + internet, however when the installer came out when I bought my house, i had all 75+ channels on analog anyway. I think he was aware of this but didn't care because he did the channel scanner. This was just a few months before they went digital and I lost the channels without the use of the digital box anyway. I guess it wouldn't hurt to call and ask to check for a trap and remove it, but if they try to charge me a service call I might as well buy a decent amplified antenna.
post #2015 of 2162
Sorry I haven't revisited until now. Thanks for the responses.

I don't really know what happened with my channels. They were there late may, and then not when I made my post. But then I forced Windows to look for a new driver, and when I rescanned again I got the channels back.

I have Dish for my real TV, and I am a Comcast internet only customer, but I do like to know I have locals. The main reason is during storms (tornado's), Comcast will generally keep the broadcast, and I usually lose my dish before the storm even gets here.

Thanks again for all your help.
Sean

BTW, if you were wondering my tuner is Hauppauge 950Q.
post #2016 of 2162
Quote:
Originally Posted by seean54 View Post

Sorry I haven't revisited until now. Thanks for the responses.

I don't really know what happened with my channels. They were there late may, and then not when I made my post. But then I forced Windows to look for a new driver, and when I rescanned again I got the channels back.

I have Dish for my real TV, and I am a Comcast internet only customer, but I do like to know I have locals. The main reason is during storms (tornado's), Comcast will generally keep the broadcast, and I usually lose my dish before the storm even gets here.

Thanks again for all your help.
Sean

BTW, if you were wondering my tuner is Hauppauge 950Q.

Can you please post your driver version? Also, was it a driver search through MS Windows (7?) or some other method?
post #2017 of 2162
Steve Tarters Minding Business blog on the PJS web site reports that WAOE is broadcasting Antenna TV on 59.2. Can anyone who can actually pick them up OTA comfirm?

Titan TV does have grid listings for it.
post #2018 of 2162
Yes, now getting Antenna TV on 59.2 OTA. Lots of old sitcom reruns....
post #2019 of 2162
They have been transmitting since July 1st. I really wish that they would follow through on their CP to 150 kw. It is a real chore to get them because of their flea powered 26 kw licensed transmitter. I like WAOE's movies. Any news on their status?

Thanks!

N9YSW
post #2020 of 2162
Now that WWTO is operating 80 kw directional (with about 40 kw in my direction) I can receive their signal 100% all the time but just on the edge of the digital cliff. Has anyone noticed their increased power? They are roughly equivalent to the signal strength that they had in the analog days with 5 mw.

N9YSW
post #2021 of 2162
Quote:
Originally Posted by exdelguy View Post

Now that WWTO is operating 80 kw directional (with about 40 kw in my direction) I can receive their signal 100% all the time but just on the edge of the digital cliff. Has anyone noticed their increased power? They are roughly equivalent to the signal strength that they had in the analog days with 5 mw.

N9YSW

I'm 68 miles north of WWTO, and I did notice that it became more watchable after the upgrade. Not that there's much to watch on those 5 subchannels, but it's usually SNR17/100% during the day, and SNR21/100% at night, using a Winegard 1713.
post #2022 of 2162
WWTO is 76.9 miles ENE of me and I was never able to get it unless the tropo was really rolling in. I was getting about 3 kw of their 16 kw of power. I notice in summer months when troposcatter conditions are up that I can decode (but not really watch WFLD FOX Chicago on RF 31 154 mi.). I am using an AntennaCraft YA 7-13 at 15 ft with no amplification to get WWTO (very short length of coax to my patio). I am using a UVSJ with an MXU-47 for UHF, that way I do not need to filter and trap FM, the local TBN on 51, and VHF/UHF utility bands. Your reception is amazing, I do not have a clear shot to anywhere.

N9YSW
post #2023 of 2162
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrich View Post

The problem might also be a trap in the line - if you are an internet only OR limited basic sub, & you still have one of these traps, it's possible that CC might have moved those channels INTO the range of your trap.

If you are an internet-only sub, CC will NOT do anything about it - since you are NOT a TV sub! If you are a limited basic sub, you can try to get them out on a repair, as you ARE supposed to get them as part of your limited basic sub.

CC is not even using traps anymore as they hook up new subs, but they are NOT actively removing them on existing subs. There ARE ways to get rid of them, that I am NOT endorsing on this board...

Looks like the same thing happened to me. I get Basic Cable and internet service over in Bloomington. I'm also missing WILL HD in addition to WMBD-HD, and I've had basic service for like 4-5 years so I'm guessing they forgot to take off the tap on my line. I think 4 channels scans with my TV is enough to conclude it is missing

What's worse is the woman on the phone tried to claim I should get no HD channels the moment she noticed I lack a box.. I fervently insisted I get them otherwise, after I pulled up my location specific listing online listed told her they were on the list and she quickly stopped on that line.
post #2024 of 2162
Quote:
Originally Posted by exdelguy View Post

Your reception is amazing, I do not have a clear shot to anywhere.

N9YSW

"Clear shot" is the operative term- while my area is about half built-up, there are no buildings, trees, or hills of consequesnce for miles around. Nothting taller than maybe 30 feet.
I actually lived here for 12 years without knowing that it was a good OTA spot. Turns out, if you buy a house that's in a good location to avoid any flooding, you also end up with a chance at great reception.
post #2025 of 2162
Quote:
Originally Posted by hceuterpe View Post

Looks like the same thing happened to me. I get Basic Cable and internet service over in Bloomington. I'm also missing WILL HD in addition to WMBD-HD, and I've had basic service for like 4-5 years so I'm guessing they forgot to take off the tap on my line. I think 4 channels scans with my TV is enough to conclude it is missing

What's worse is the woman on the phone tried to claim I should get no HD channels the moment she noticed I lack a box.. I fervently insisted I get them otherwise, after I pulled up my location specific listing online listed told her they were on the list and she quickly stopped on that line.

This may have nothing to do with your problem but there is a technical issue with WMBD. They do not broadcast correct PSIP information so it will not be identified as 31.1 by the TV tuner. It will most likely appear as the physical channel number. Here in Peoria it is on 116.1

Additionally, they (WMBD) have another problem. The HD broadcast channel is now showing as 30.3 on my converter boxes. This required a rescan on some boxes, some found the channel automatically. The cable company may have to do something similar to reacquire the station..
post #2026 of 2162
I don't think it's just WMBD. I lost WILL HD, too.
post #2027 of 2162
Used to get WTVP channel 47 (PBS) OTA just fine .... recently not getting anything. Re-scans just don't find the channel. If it does happen to find it, you can't watch, my TV will say 'No signal'.

Has their power changed, or any other clues ??

In NE Bloomington with antenna in attic, no changes to that and all other Peoria channels are still great. We're now watching PBS on WILL channel 12 from Champaign ....
post #2028 of 2162
When did ESPNU hd show up? I was searching through the guide and just noticed it this morning , we were supposed to get it a long time ago but showed up kind of unannounced.
post #2029 of 2162
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGjas View Post

WEEK is now in 5.1!!

My receiver is showing 5.1, but I'm only getting 2.0 out of it. I was excited to see the 5.1 pop up, but it's disappointing to only get 2 channels.
post #2030 of 2162
It is being looked into. Something is stripping the surround channels. Hopefully this can be resolved tonight or tomorrow.
post #2031 of 2162
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGjas View Post

It is being looked into. Something is stripping the surround channels. Hopefully this can be resolved tonight or tomorrow.

That's good to hear. Sometimes I'm getting the Spanish commentary out of the center channel too.
post #2032 of 2162
At halftime the audio is better. It's just Pro Logic, but my receiver can at least process that to surround. However, the video is going into some sort of seizure inducing flicker. It looks like it's switching between the HD and pillar boxed.
post #2033 of 2162
Quote:
Originally Posted by spd476 View Post

At halftime the audio is better. It's just Pro Logic, but my receiver can at least process that to surround. However, the video is going into some sort of seizure inducing flicker. It looks like it's switching between the HD and pillar boxed.

Everything should be good now with the 5.1. We found the bad card.
post #2034 of 2162
Cool that WEEK is 5.1. Thanks for this. Is there any work going in to fixing the random blur? This is noticeable a lot during SNF games just before the offense hikes the ball. I am not sure if it is associated with camera changes or what is the cause.
post #2035 of 2162
Found 31.2 broadcasting today....
Test pattern now on, but saw preview info earlier today.

Per 31 website, Bounce TV starts broadcasting Monday Sept 26
post #2036 of 2162
I was trying to watch game 6 of the World Series on WYZZ FOX 43 last night over DirecTV and it seemed like my dish was out of alignment. The digital signal kept breaking up. The other channels were fine, just WYZZ. I wondered if others had this problem, especially cable, and if anyone knows a fix. My guess is it is a problem on WYZZ's end.

Thanks.
post #2037 of 2162
+1 on it being crappy on Dish as well so it was not just you.
post #2038 of 2162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilbert12 View Post

My guess is it is a problem on WYZZ's end.

Assuming that both sat providers are picking it up OTA (most likely), it might be related to the fact that WYZZ is now running TWO subchannels alongside it's main (HD) signal...& that live sports are being aired...
post #2039 of 2162
Does anybody else watch Fox Sports Midwest-HD through Comcast? I've been having these constant but brief audio dropouts for about a month now. It's really annoying when trying to watch hockey. It only happens on this channel, so I don't think it's a Comcast issue. I've emailed Fox Sports Midwest, but have got no response. Is anybody else having this problem?
post #2040 of 2162
It's such a sad state of affairs that all 3 major news networks in the Quad Cities are now showing their local newscasts in HD but there are no immediate plans for either one of Peoria's 1 & a half major news networks to show their newscasts in HD. (I consider WEEK a half station since the majority of their jobs are operated by remote control from Granite's central Hub in Ft Wayne) And it's sickening how WEEK touts their "Digital Widescreen". They made minor upgrades tied to upgrades made at their central hub that allows for this. Also, their ability to pass syndicated programming in HD is a result of upgrades only made at their hub which allows all of their associated stations the same capability. Talk about a shortcut. But rest assured that there will probably be few further upgrades at the WEEK/WHOI facility on Springfiled Road. Instead, expect for WEEK to complete their transformation into a shell over the next few years.

The Peoria area is being ruined by a Granite-Nextar stronghold while the Springfield & Quad Cities Markets still have strong competition. The only good thing I can say is at least it looks like Nexstar is at least committed to keeping local news in our area, for now anyway.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Peoria, IL - HDTV